Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG gets a bad rap

HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

How many times have we seen, "It's only the posters at MMORPG that act like this", in a negative way.

It's been this way since launch and now even more-so. The heated, negativity that GW2 gets is at it's own official forums. This is may I say, tame here vs the kitten(tm) you will read there.

I say this as this place isn't a total cesspool, not a conspiracy, but a general place for mmo'ers to share opions on all things MMO. Is it over the top sometimes? Yes. Is there shills? Yes. But I have always believed the overall consensus balances itself out and we should allow all the opinions to flow freely, that fall within the R.O.C.

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Gotta also take into account that most of us MMO'rs here have been around for a LONG time in the MMO genre so we've seen MANY MANY games come and go.  Whether it be MUDs, EQ, DAOC, WoW, we remember the promises and the failed deliveries.  We've seen games launch, fail, peak, re-peak, comeback, and fail miserably.  Whereas you have many people on the game specific forums who are dedicated "fanboys" to the games, we here tend to champion the genre. 

Like it or not, we all want the BEST game we can get.  We all have different opinions on what that means so we fight and discuss.  Sometimes alittle of both.  And when you think you're right  tempers flare.

This place gets a lot of flak but that's cause we all care for MMOs.  If we didn't, we wouldn't be or discuss here.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

There are a lot of people that can't deal with change in a positive manner. There are alot of people that just don't like GW2. There are a lot of people that want to share their negativity to offset the hype the game has. There are a lot of people that just want to be negative. There are a lot of people that just enjoy making a commotion.

The problem is that no forum, including this one, has a legitmate reason to stop any of those posters.

The people that are on the other end of the spectrum don't have the same initiative to post and make threads, which is unfortunately human nature.  People who are content, don't have to say much. People that are not content, want to voice their displeasure. 

So forums in general, are not a meeting of the minds for the majority of the playerbase. They are a meeting of the minds, of the outspoken minority.  

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by eyelolled

There are a lot of people that can't deal with change in a positive manner. There are alot of people that just don't like GW2. There are a lot of people that want to share their negativity to offset the hype the game has. There are a lot of people that just want to be negative. There are a lot of people that just enjoy making a commotion.

The problem is that no forum, including this one, has a legitmate reason to stop any of those posters.

The people that are on the other end of the spectrum don't have the same initiative to post and make threads, which is unfortunately human nature.  People who are content, don't have to say much. People that are not content, want to voice their displeasure. 

So forums in general, are not a meeting of the minds for the majority of the playerbase. They are a meeting of the minds, of the outspoken minority.  

I disagree with "there are a lot...." as to be honest there isn't, this site has some great debates going on the in General Discussion sections its only when you venture out to the specific game forums that the tit for tat arguments happen regularly but becuase games come and go this last for a short time and just moves to the next game. Its here that the overly vociferous fans and non fans of the games fight it out with many of the more regular posters trying to inject some rational and calm to the proceedings. When the arguments die down you find that many of the most vocal proponents and anti proponents of a new game become absent and you wonder what it was all for. But overall this place is not as bad as its rep its just some of the more thin skinned gamers cannot handle the heat when it rises.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628

It can get quite heated on here at times, and some folks have a hard time letting go or realising that the person or persons they are having an argument with will never agree with them ever. Some folks also have a hard time seperating personal opinions from facts or trumpet their own opinions as facts. Then, you have the trolls who just hate on things just because, and/or to get a rise out of those who may enjoy the game they are trash-talking about.

But, despite these elements, I believe the vast majority of mmorpg.com members are decent people who just want to discuss their mmo of choice in a civil manner, and share their experiences with other players. It's the angry minority and thread spammers/griefers who scream the loudest and make it seem like this site is full of bile.

Whenever an mmo tries new mechanics, and tries to add new elements to the mmo formula that people are not familiar with, there WILL be hate. Period.  As for me, Aside from a few minor bugs, I have had a great time thus far in GW2......(shrugs)......But others may not have.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Calerxes

I disagree with "there are a lot...." as to be honest there isn't, this site has some great debates going on the in General Discussion sections its only when you venture out to the specific game forums that the tit for tat arguments happen regularly but becuase games come and go this last for a short time and just moves to the next game. Its here that the overly vociferous fans and non fans of the games fight it out with many of the more regular posters trying to inject some rational and calm to the proceedings. When the arguments die down you find that many of the most vocal proponents and anti proponents of a new game become absent and you wonder what it was all for. But overall this place is not as bad as its rep its just some of the more thin skinned gamers cannot handle the heat when it rises.

when I said that "there is a lot" I was referring to people in general, not specifically on this site.  I was referring to the fact that people that want to complain will find a place to complain. Forums in general are the most natural place for them to accumulate.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Ikeda
    Gotta also take into account that most of us MMO'rs here have been around for a LONG time in the MMO genre so we've seen MANY MANY games come and go.  Whether it be MUDs, EQ, DAOC, WoW, we remember the promises and the failed deliveries.  We've seen games launch, fail, peak, re-peak, comeback, and fail miserably.  Whereas you have many people on the game specific forums who are dedicated "fanboys" to the games, we here tend to champion the genre. Like it or not, we all want the BEST game we can get.  We all have different opinions on what that means so we fight and discuss.  Sometimes alittle of both.  And when you think you're right  tempers flare.This place gets a lot of flak but that's cause we all care for MMOs.  If we didn't, we wouldn't be or discuss here.
    Great post! Well said :)
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Gotta also take into account that most of us MMO'rs here have been around for a LONG time in the MMO genre so we've seen MANY MANY games come and go.  Whether it be MUDs, EQ, DAOC, WoW, we remember the promises and the failed deliveries.  We've seen games launch, fail, peak, re-peak, comeback, and fail miserably.  Whereas you have many people on the game specific forums who are dedicated "fanboys" to the games, we here tend to champion the genre. Like it or not, we all want the BEST game we can get.  We all have different opinions on what that means so we fight and discuss.  Sometimes alittle of both.  And when you think you're right  tempers flare.This place gets a lot of flak but that's cause we all care for MMOs.  If we didn't, we wouldn't be or discuss here.

Yep...great post!
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I disagree and personally think the site deserves the flak it gets.

It's comparable to 4chan. That speaks volumes.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Kost

Then I guess the truth is the game sucks hard right now, because the official forums are on fire, women and children didn't make it out either. I like how it's burning there and in the most cases mmorpg is just chillin. People are struggling mightily with one time events and someone else got great loot and I didn't. To the point we won't have good things again, because everyone can't get the top prize. If everyone's special, no one is.

What kills me is mmo'ers all want these unique events and SEE WHAT HAPPENS! Kitten(tm) sad.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Kost

There's some really nice posters here. Nothing against the mods or anything, but I gotta agree, this site seems to draw in that crowd.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by HorrorScope

How many times have we seen, "It's only the posters at MMORPG that act like this", in a negative way.

It's been this way since launch and now even more-so. The heated, negativity that GW2 gets is at it's own official forums. This is may I say, tame here vs the kitten(tm) you will read there.

I say this as this place isn't a total cesspool, not a conspiracy, but a general place for mmo'ers to share opions on all things MMO. Is it over the top sometimes? Yes. Is there shills? Yes. But I have always believed the overall consensus balances itself out and we should allow all the opinions to flow freely, that fall within the R.O.C.

*Sigh*

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Calerxes

when I said that "there is a lot" I was referring to people in general, not specifically on this site.  I was referring to the fact that people that want to complain will find a place to complain. Forums in general are the most natural place for them to accumulate.

I think on the surface thats true but I find that alot of what seems to be negativity is in fact critique and many people misinterpret it a such. Just because you question the validity of something doesn't make it negative. Before GW2 was released many questioned the "cosmetic endgame" not because they thought it was a fail but because many thought it wouldn't hold enough players interest in the long run killing GW2's longevity, but of course the forums blew up as it was taken as negative and bashing the game though its turned out to be true for many, ironic really. People need to read posts with their head not their heart.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Your entire post is based on the premise that all changes brought by GW2 were 100% positive as if it were fact and that any other perspective is wrong. So when they speak their mind, you see criticism as "a lot of people that just enjoy making a commotion". Even your statement "The problem is that no forum, including this one, has a legitmate reason to stop any of those posters." assumes criticism of your game is actually a problem to begin with.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

This community has always been a fairly fringe, MMO hipster one.  For the longest time, there was a ton of rage against WoW for what appeared to be no other reason than it was popular.  Kind of funny actually.

You make me like charity

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by asmkm22

This community has always been a fairly fringe, MMO hipster one.  For the longest time, there was a ton of rage against WoW for what appeared to be no other reason than it was popular.  Kind of funny actually.

Uh, there's a ton of reason to hate WoW. Pretty much the only people who don't understand that are the WoW fanboys who are entirely obvious to the rest of the MMO genre.

And if by MMO hipsters you mean, the core MMO audience...

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Uh, there's a ton of reason to hate WoW. Pretty much the only people who don't understand that are the WoW fanboys who are entirely obvious to the rest of the MMO genre.

Case in point...

You make me like charity

Originally posted by DavisFlight

Well done for proving his point.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

GW2 forums are on fire and it should be.
    They changed the game, altough a minor change for some, its a major change for WvW players who are now forced to run PvE dungeons to wear the best gear.

This created a shockwave trough the community, expeicaly the wvw community that did not receive the love it should have gotten.
    Coulnt care less about what they say about MMORPG forums, each forum has fanboys and haters these days.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Yeah, mmorpg.com has that small group of very vocal people who jump from game to game only to quit but stay on the game's forum to spew hatred. The WoW hatred is well alive, but so it the hatred against anything new... even more if it's not a sandbox game. Instead of staying away from those games they hate, they take pleasure in trying to annoy their communities. It's those people who breed the bad ambiance you have here quite often.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Yeah, mmorpg.com has that small group of very vocal people who jump from game to game only to quit but stay on the game's forum to spew hatred. The WoW hatred is well alive, but so it the hatred against anything new... even more if it's not a sandbox game. Instead of staying away from those games they hate, they take pleasure in trying to annoy their communities. It's those people who breed the bad ambiance you have here quite often.

Most of hatered during the last year at least has come from certain GW2 fans. They were trolling every single game and thread on this site.

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    People Like to focus on a CON and magnifie it and exaggerate about it. Its a typical human behavor and not just epidemic here in mmorpg.com everywhere you gonna see trolls,whiners,fanboys and more objective people.
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by HorrorScope

Life on mmorpg.com is pretty balanced. I've experienced first-hand elsewhere how moderators are a wee bit trigger happy and where if you dare give (constructive) criticism you're met with a sweet little ban.

It is over the top at times, I agree, but the fence-sitters and devil advocates help balance things out. 

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Gotta also take into account that most of us MMO'rs here have been around for a LONG time in the MMO genre so we've seen MANY MANY games come and go.  Whether it be MUDs, EQ, DAOC, WoW, we remember the promises and the failed deliveries.  We've seen games launch, fail, peak, re-peak, comeback, and fail miserably.  Whereas you have many people on the game specific forums who are dedicated "fanboys" to the games, we here tend to champion the genre. 

Like it or not, we all want the BEST game we can get.  We all have different opinions on what that means so we fight and discuss.  Sometimes alittle of both.  And when you think you're right  tempers flare.

This place gets a lot of flak but that's cause we all care for MMOs.  If we didn't, we wouldn't be or discuss here.

/thread

I too love the genre, but while there are a couple of solid MMOs out there I despise the garbage that currently passes for MMOs these days.  I want new horizons to explore and places to find, I want my actions to shape the events around me and give a sense they have some meaning.  What we get is "dailies" and "raiding" which is just the MMORPG equivalent of 'Groundhog Day', which appeals to the chumps and beancounters who think league tables and shiny gear is worth a fart in a hurricane.  Companies cater to the chumps, so we, and the genre, all suffer for it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Meh, I find this site to be far more to my liking than the company sponsored sites I used to frequent, and that the freedom to post what I want pretty good.

Sure, it seems to annoy some folks to no end when their favorite game gets criticized but that's just because the don't enjoy/understand FFA forum PVP.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Your entire post is based on the premise that all changes brought by GW2 were 100% positive as if it were fact and that any other perspective is wrong. So when they speak their mind, you see criticism as "a lot of people that just enjoy making a commotion". Even your statement "The problem is that no forum, including this one, has a legitmate reason to stop any of those posters." assumes criticism of your game is actually a problem to begin with.

when i first read eyes post its made me feel some type of way but i didnt want to post on it fearing a warning or ban. Your post is what i wanted to say but not as rude as my responce would have been.