Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Repair costs are ridiculous

CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

I was rumbling around in a zone that was a little too high level for me, and managed to damage every single chunk of armor I was wearing.  I decided to repair having just recently bought it. 

The repair cost was 6+ silver.  Adding up the vendor prices of all my armor combined it was no more than 4 silver. 

How on earth does it cost more to repair armor than the armor itself is even worth?  I may as well just gone to the tradehouse, and rebought all my armor fresh, and then simply sold what I had been wearing as vendor trash.  The likely cost of doing that (along with selling the old armor) would certainly not even been over 1 silver.   In fact adding in the profit from selling the old armor it might have cost me virtually nothing, especially in comparison. 

We're already taxed via waypoint for dying.  I don't mind repair costs either, but they are far above extreme.  They certainly shouldnt cost the price of armor, much less far more.  Its ridiculous and something Anet really needs to fix.  Its not even worth repairing any armor in this game as is.  You may as well just buy all new stuff if something gets damaged unless its something you can't live without. 

It shouldn't be that way. 

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    I'm wondering if it's an application of item decay.  Gear damaged where repair exceeds replacement is essentially broken.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330
    Generally your armor doesn't get messed up that much so it is not an issue.  I generally pay about 20s a week in repair costs.  At 80 I can make 20s in about 5-10 min so it isn't an issue.
  • MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    This will sound harsh.. but have you tried dieing less? Death is supposed to have some semblence of meaning in this game, one of the ways it has meaning is Armor repair costs. So.. equip some defenseive abilities and stop dieing bro. :D

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I'll give you that repairs cost abit too much, but i don't buy into it costing less to buy new armor. Just runes themselves will far outcost a repair bill.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by feena750
    Generally your armor doesn't get messed up that much so it is not an issue.  I generally pay about 20s a week in repair costs.  At 80 I can make 20s in about 5-10 min so it isn't an issue.

I prolly pay about 6s a week but yeah a single damage shouldn't cost more then the armor itself. That's odd. 

• thekzethekze Member UncommonPosts: 180

One effective trick I found to prevent paying a fortune in repair costs:

-Play intelligently and stop dying.

This is not your standard MMO, it's a small step above that, gotta time your dodge, heals and keep an eye on your opponent.

I'll throw in as well that i see most new players trying to make end all DPS machines. They fail to realize that you get penalized for having too much of a stat. instead of packing everything into DPS, try half n half, with vitality or toughness. this will make you a stronger character i promise. Having a dps machine isn't any good when its over there laying on the ground dead because a monster scratched it

EDIT: One more tip, yellow gear has been falling all over the place, salvage that for ectoplasm and sell it to be done worrying about money. There, all bases covered :)

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by thekze

This is not your standard MMO, it's a small step above that, gotta time your dodge, heals and keep an eye on your opponent.

And AGAIN!  Apparently a lot of people have this "dying less" philosphy!  I mean its so insightful I am at a loss for words. 

Yes, I know Im not supposed to "die" in an mmo.  No really.  I said already I was in a higher level zone and sometimes it can't be avoided and have you people actually run dungeons in this game?  Die less.  Really.  That's your big input.  Thanks so much. 

Usually I make it ten levels easily with damaging maybe two or three chunks of armor before it all gets overhauled and replaced.  This was a special circumstance where I noticed the repair cost being higher and the post was regarding that.  "Dying less" is not even....that's no kind of input what so ever.  As though I needed to be told that. 

I guess I need to attack back when a mob hits me?  Is that it?  So I can't play "monster parade" and aggro 12 enemies anymore?  But it made me feel special and popular.  Darn. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Toxia
    I'll throw in as well that i see most new players trying to make end all DPS machines. They fail to realize that you get penalized for having too much of a stat. instead of packing everything into DPS, try half n half, with vitality or toughness. this will make you a stronger character i promise. Having a dps machine isn't any good when its over there laying on the ground dead because a monster scratched it

yeah min maxing does not work on this game at all. Unless people like dieing i would suggest not doing that as well.

I enjoy utility buffs on mine like speed regen etc.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

I'm guessing you're character is low level? There's no way repairs are more expensive than replacement for my lvl 80. Dying once probably costs me around 1.5 silver for the repair. My cheapest bits of armor are rares costing around 25s each and the best are exotics costing over 2g each.

edit: Oh yeah as someone else pointed out, you also have to factor in the cost of replacement runes. They can cost as much, if not more than the armour.

EDIT: One more tip, yellow gear has been falling all over the place, salvage that for ectoplasm and sell it to be done worrying about money. There, all bases covered :)

Yea I agree.  That's what I do.  That's good advice you just gave.  I don't usually put points into vitality type things but I get "toughness" to 100+ or so.  Glass cannon builds can be problematic I know.  I've never technically done that. 

Reading more carefully, the advice I might give myself in this case is not try to knock out a zone that is 5 to 10 levels above you, although I got it half done. 

Regardless of all that though, I'm just saying that repair costs are too high when they are more expensive than actual armor replacement, and this was just damaged armor, not broken.  Even if its broken it shouldn't cost more than replacing it.  It should cost the same at least.  In fact not even that much.  Repair should ALWAYS cost less than replacing armor entirely or it makes "repair" worthless.  That's my general point. 

Advice on how NOT to damage armor, such as "not dying" is silly.  And if there was any worthwhile advice here it might be, " It may just be more worth it to never repair, and replace damaged items unless you are level 80 and like what you have. "  Unforutenatly I had to just give that advice to myself. 

But at least your "don't die"  post actually had real advice such as not building a glass cannon so I have to give you props for that at least. 

Originally posted by reaperuk

I'm guessing you're character is low level? There's no way repairs are more expensive than replacement for my lvl 80. Dying once probably costs me around 1.5 silver for the repair. My cheapest bits of armor are rares costing around 25s each and the best are exotics costing over 2g each.

edit: Oh yeah as someone else pointed out, you also have to factor in the cost of replacement runes. They can cost as much, if not more than the armour.

Im a level 53 if that counts as low level.  Which it might.  Depends on your point of view I suppose.  I was wearing mostly blues and a few greens.  Nothing substantional.    I also didn't have any runes or stones set in my armor.  I usually don't do that.  I set stones into acessorys, rings, and amulets as I tend to wear them longer and I see that as a good place to stick them.  I replace armor about every 6 to 10 levels. 

Also all my armor was damanged.  Every bit.  Not broken, but full damage across the board, which is extremely rare.  But again my point is the repair shouldnt cost that much.  I also once damaged my helm.  It was worth maybe 50 copper or so on the tradehouse and vendor price.  It cost over a silver to repair that too.  So I didn't.  I just left it damaged and replaced it later. 

I'd guess at 80 this isn't as much of a factor.  But yea, even with that helm, it cost more to repair that one thing, than to replace it entirely. 

Originally posted by Corehaven

Yea I agree.  That's what I do.  That's good advice you just gave.  I don't usually put points into vitality type things but I get "toughness" to 100+ or so.  Glass cannon builds can be problematic I know.  I've never technically done that. 

Reading more carefully, the advice I might give myself in this case is not try to knock out a zone that is 5 to 10 levels above you, although I got it half done. 

Regardless of all that though, I'm just saying that repair costs are too high when they are more expensive than actual armor replacement, and this was just damaged armor, not broken.  Even if its broken it shouldn't cost more than replacing it.  It should cost the same at least.  In fact not even that much.  Repair should ALWAYS cost less than replacing armor entirely or it makes "repair" worthless.  That's my general point. 

Advice on how NOT to damage armor, such as "not dying" is silly.  And if there was any worthwhile advice here it might be, " It may just be more worth it to never repair, and replace damaged items unless you are level 80 and like what you have. "  Unforutenatly I had to just give that advice to myself. 

But at least your "don't die"  post actually had real advice such as not building a glass cannon so I have to give you props for that at least. 

Indeed, this would be a major problem, as far as deaths are concerned. Mobs that much above you have a very big advantage on you. I know your post was on repair cost and not what you were doing to need such repairs.

Again, i have to reiterate, the costs of runes alone would far outweigh the cost of armor.

Perhaps this is something you should look into, Runes give you a very nice boost to stats(which will help with dying)

Sorry we keep going there about dying, but ANET isn't in a rush to change it, so best to work around it ^^

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Indeed, this would be a major problem, as far as deaths are concerned. Mobs that much above you have a very big advantage on you. I know your post was on repair cost and not what you were doing to need such repairs.

Again, i have to reiterate, the costs of runes alone would far outweigh the cost of armor.

Perhaps this is something you should look into, Runes give you a very nice boost to stats(which will help with dying)

Sorry we keep going there about dying, but ANET isn't in a rush to change it, so best to work around it ^^

Okay, well I'll check out some runes then.  Thanks.  My friend has been trying to get me to buy some but Im cheap.  I always have three times the coin he ever does in an mmo, because he wastes it.  But I'll check out runes.  Thanks for the advice.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

It shouldn't be that way. 

You're right. It shouldn't be that way. The problem is that it's too easy to put stuff on the trading post in comparison to going back to town.  It's like how people just TP something rather than merch it because it opens up the room in their inventory rather than having to travel back to sell it.  If people would turn around and take advantage of how it's cheaper to buy new, then the economy would actually improve.  I think things will eventually even out, but only in time.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Please tell me you realized at some point that attack on mobs 4+ levels higher than you are basically guaranteed to be a "Glancing" blow, drastically reducing damage...

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    .... I never thought I'd see the day when people complained about a death penalty as nonexistant as GW2's...
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    .... I never thought I'd see the day when people complained about a death penalty as nonexistant as GW2's...

In comparison to what?  EvE maybe?  Other than that? 

And my complaint was that repair is far more expensive than buying new items if they are blues or even greens in some cases.  That's off.  As for a death penalty?  I didnt complain about that at all.  So your post is entirely invalid in every way. 

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

In comparison to what?  EvE maybe?  Other than that? 

And my complaint was that repair is far more expensive than buying new items if they are blues or even greens in some cases.  That's off.  As for a death penalty?  I didnt complain about that at all.  So your post is entirely invalid in every way. 

1. Pick an old sweaty, worn out, broken, bloody piece of cloth in which you have fought dragons from your closet.
    2. Go to a repair shop and ask what it would cost to repair.
    3. Go anywhere else and try to sell it.
    4. Calculate which action would set you back the most.
    5. Profit ???
  • IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Repair cost seems to increase exponentially the more pieces are broken. Try repairing more often and not just when every single item on your skin is broken twice.

Also, when playing in above-character-level zones and finding that you have a problem with dying a lot, try to get someone to wingman you. After all it's an MMO.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by thekze

And AGAIN!  Apparently a lot of people have this "dying less" philosphy!  I mean its so insightful I am at a loss for words. 

Yes, I know Im not supposed to "die" in an mmo.  No really.  I said already I was in a higher level zone and sometimes it can't be avoided and have you people actually run dungeons in this game?  Die less.  Really.  That's your big input.  Thanks so much. 

Usually I make it ten levels easily with damaging maybe two or three chunks of armor before it all gets overhauled and replaced.  This was a special circumstance where I noticed the repair cost being higher and the post was regarding that.  "Dying less" is not even....that's no kind of input what so ever.  As though I needed to be told that. 

I guess I need to attack back when a mob hits me?  Is that it?  So I can't play "monster parade" and aggro 12 enemies anymore?  But it made me feel special and popular.  Darn. 

Actually it's valid enough advice.

If you find higher than your level zones too difficult to handle, then it is entirely down to you if you stay.

It is also entirely down to you if you keep coming back until all your armour is trashed. At some point the message should have got through - "I need to back off from here, level up a bit more and come back when this isn't so painful."

Even soloing the new island isn't that expensive - and it by far the most difficult area to run alone.

You may have a valid complaint about the repair/armour cost ratio - but complaining about it after shooting yourself in the foot repeatedly seems faintly ridiculous to some people - me included.

I have never suffered a horrible repair bill except once or twice at the start of the game when I ran dungeons for the first time. I certainly have never been 'forced' into an area where I repeatedly died and 'couldn't' leave.

That's a choice you made - and being upset about the consequences of that entirely free decision whilst trying to make a point about cost balance of repairs is entirely self-defeating.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

1) Die less.

2) Profit.

Death penalties in "modern" MMORPGs are already very light. Not that I complain, I've played games like UO, EQ or AC1 with harsh death penalty and I really don't miss those "good old days where we were going to work uphill in the blizzard with snow to our knees". But there has to be a penalty that encourages people to try to not die, otherwise death means nothing at all.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah I don't like being forced to pve so I can pvp.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

There are 2 options, but cheap gear or play naked
    Stop dying, get better at the game.

death should not be something cheap.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't have a problem with outdoor pve repair costs.
    I wouldn't know about dungeons, interested in them
    I don't mind the long walks in WvW when you die, I think this is preferable to the easy reinforcing you get in say warhammer.
    I do object to WvW repair costs, and well WvW costs in general as there's no way to make the money to pay for them within WvW, you are either forced to go grind Des, again or use the cash shop.