Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: Reasons to Check Out SWTOR F2P

12346»

Comments

• TheAmazingDwarfTheAmazingDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Price was never the issue, personally. I like P2P model and I don«t mind paying for my entertainment and support a good product. For me, the issue is that SWTOR allways felt like a single player game and didn't give me that "virtual world" feeling - something that nowadays seems totally forgotten by most of the mmorpgs.

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: 5JPF7ZQ3
    Step into the amazing world of Eorzea! Use this reference code on a new account and we'll both get goodies for it!

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Well as a former subscriber, I can say the missing hot bars are enough to make me give up on free to play already.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

"SWTOR is a Solid Game"

What game are you talking about Mike?

Have you actually ever played past lv. 1 swtor? Guess not. I have been playing since day 1, ever day from 1 hour to 18 hours, for nearly 8 months strait. In all this time leveled many many alts, always had a blast. There were vitually NO bugs. Game was at start as it is now incredibly polished as many become only after a year or two. Incredible voiced questing. Incredible SW feeling. And I'm not so easy happy with any game, now im over 50 and have played really a lot.

But is true is now long I do not find any fun in pvp, I enjoy only pve. And as altholic i do not need endgame. So I can only guess pvp and endgame are problem.

For the rest only all the best. 

Swtor is only game so far I continue to be subbed even if not actively playing for some time (tsw, gw2, mop, guess next is rift, ... then back to swtor).

Main problem with swtor was incredible "hate community", even worse then of wow. And I know few guys or their children that did not even tried as so much UNFOUNDED negativity. Actually games are many times destroyed by haters, not because being bad or flawed.

• DoomcurseDoomcurse Member Posts: 9
    Normally I don't comment on things. At all. But this one I have to. I was pretty, well, dissapointed would be an understatement when I tried out the free model. So let me get this straight: If I want to disable to helmet graphics, I have to pay. If I want to unify colors, I have to pay. If I want to PvP, I have to pay. If I want to do just about anything in the game at all, I have to pay. How is this free to play again? Why in the world would I want to play something like this when they have a paid option with no restrictions? This is like a bait and switch. Yes, it's technically free to play, unless you actually want to do something in the game, then you have to pay for it.
  • JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by daltanious

"SWTOR is a Solid Game"

Have you actually ever played past lv. 1 swtor? Guess not. I have been playing since day 1, ever day from 1 hour to 18 hours, for nearly 8 months strait. In all this time leveled many many alts, always had a blast. There were vitually NO bugs. Game was at start as it is now incredibly polished as many become only after a year or two. Incredible voiced questing. Incredible SW feeling. And I'm not so easy happy with any game, now im over 50 and have played really a lot.

But is true is now long I do not find any fun in pvp, I enjoy only pve. And as altholic i do not need endgame. So I can only guess pvp and endgame are problem.

Swtor is only game so far I continue to be subbed even if not actively playing for some time (tsw, gw2, mop, guess next is rift, ... then back to swtor).

Main problem with swtor was incredible "hate community", even worse then of wow. And I know few guys or their children that did not even tried as so much UNFOUNDED negativity. Actually games are many times destroyed by haters, not because being bad or flawed.

I've played the game since beta to launch. Defended it prior to 1.2. I've stopped playing since 1.2.

The game is bad. I've capped two characters and had full battlemaster and did all the raids at the time. I've experienced that whole game.....and I came out extremely disappointed. No, it's not the haters. It's the game itself.

I will talk crap about a game that I don't like because I've experienced that game and they have done NOTHING to change the reasons I unsubbed in the first place. And this is from a Star Wars fanatic.

The ONLY thing it has going for it, are the stories. But even then, it's pretty lackluster. Secret World's story is A LOT better executed, and I've also unsubbed from that game for different reasons.

What it boils down to it is, everyone is SUBJECTIVE on the matter. No matter how much you try to pass it off as being objective, I truly believe you can't be fully objective in a subject such as MMORPG, since honestly, opnions are just that...opinions.

The stupidest thing you can do is to pass off opinion as fact. Everyone has stats and blah blah this and that, but those are also subjective because you can use any stat and skew in favor of your opinion.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    EA behind it is reason enough to stay well clear of it no matter what you say. As a Pc gamer I'm doing my hobby no favours giving EA my money.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

"SWTOR is a Solid Game"

No hate community, just a lot of people highly critical of a horrible design job.  Deservedly so!

Only thing I can say is you are wearing blinders.  You have to be oblivious to what a good MMO is to even attempt to call this a decent game.  I love Star Wars, was subbed to SWG until two months after NGE and even went back later.  Even post NGE, SWG was far superior to this game.  This game is a travesty.  They spent so much time on voice overs and cut scenes, they had no time for anything else.  Their systems are a very poorly thought out, end game the same.  I think a room full of monkey's could come up with a better design.  Don't get me started on the horrible f2p implementation.  I will not resub to this wreck.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by daltanious Originally posted by MMOGamer71 "SWTOR is a Solid Game"   What game are you talking about Mike?
    Have you actually ever played past lv. 1 swtor? Guess not. I have been playing since day 1, ever day from 1 hour to 18 hours, for nearly 8 months strait. In all this time leveled many many alts, always had a blast. There were vitually NO bugs. Game was at start as it is now incredibly polished as many become only after a year or two. Incredible voiced questing. Incredible SW feeling. And I'm not so easy happy with any game, now im over 50 and have played really a lot. But is true is now long I do not find any fun in pvp, I enjoy only pve. And as altholic i do not need endgame. So I can only guess pvp and endgame are problem. For the rest only all the best.  Swtor is only game so far I continue to be subbed even if not actively playing for some time (tsw, gw2, mop, guess next is rift, ... then back to swtor). Main problem with swtor was incredible "hate community", even worse then of wow. And I know few guys or their children that did not even tried as so much UNFOUNDED negativity. Actually games are many times destroyed by haters, not because being bad or flawed.
    No hate community, just a lot of people highly critical of a horrible design job.  Deservedly so!

Only thing I can say is you are wearing blinders.  You have to be oblivious to what a good MMO is to even attempt to call this a decent game.  I love Star Wars, was subbed to SWG until two months after NGE and even went back later.  Even post NGE, SWG was far superior to this game.  This game is a travesty.  They spent so much time on voice overs and cut scenes, they had no time for anything else.  Their systems are a very poorly thought out, end game the same.  I think a room full of monkey's could come up with a better design.  Don't get me started on the horrible f2p implementation.  I will not resub to this wreck.

This is actually an excellent example of a 'hate' post. Lots of adjectives, lots of subjective opinion, but nothing here that would lead to a discussion. Good job!

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by MMOGamer71 "SWTOR is a Solid Game"   What game are you talking about Mike?
    Have you actually ever played past lv. 1 swtor? Guess not. I have been playing since day 1, ever day from 1 hour to 18 hours, for nearly 8 months strait. In all this time leveled many many alts, always had a blast. There were vitually NO bugs. Game was at start as it is now incredibly polished as many become only after a year or two. Incredible voiced questing. Incredible SW feeling. And I'm not so easy happy with any game, now im over 50 and have played really a lot. But is true is now long I do not find any fun in pvp, I enjoy only pve. And as altholic i do not need endgame. So I can only guess pvp and endgame are problem. For the rest only all the best.  Swtor is only game so far I continue to be subbed even if not actively playing for some time (tsw, gw2, mop, guess next is rift, ... then back to swtor). Main problem with swtor was incredible "hate community", even worse then of wow. And I know few guys or their children that did not even tried as so much UNFOUNDED negativity. Actually games are many times destroyed by haters, not because being bad or flawed.

This is actually an excellent example of a 'hate' post. Lots of adjectives, lots of subjective opinion, but nothing here that would lead to a discussion. Good job!

Ok, you want details, crafting system is badly designed, no reason for people to concentrate on it.  The space on rails part is a design reminiscent of the coin operated games of arcades, would have been much better to leave space out to a later expansion.  There really is no end game and pvp was basically just battlegrounds which you can tire of fast.  Not to mention very little ability to explore, you are funneled almost everywhere and there is not much end game area at all.  The wardrobe was sorely lacking.  Not to mention there was not very much character differentiation.

All this has been addressed many times before, there is no reason to rehash such a horrible design job.  

If you had taken some time to read the threads on this game you would have realized the issues this game has.  So your sarcasm is actually rather pointless. 

You should learn the meaning of hate, just because you are critical of something does not mean you hate it.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Ozmodan Originally posted by daltanious Originally posted by MMOGamer71 "SWTOR is a Solid Game"   What game are you talking about Mike?
    No hate community, just a lot of people highly critical of a horrible design job.  Deservedly so!   Only thing I can say is you are wearing blinders.  You have to be oblivious to what a good MMO is to even attempt to call this a decent game.  I love Star Wars, was subbed to SWG until two months after NGE and even went back later.  Even post NGE, SWG was far superior to this game.  This game is a travesty.  They spent so much time on voice overs and cut scenes, they had no time for anything else.  Their systems are a very poorly thought out, end game the same.  I think a room full of monkey's could come up with a better design.  Don't get me started on the horrible f2p implementation.  I will not resub to this wreck.
    Ok, you want details, crafting system is badly designed, no reason for people to concentrate on it.  The space on rails part is a design reminiscent of the coin operated games of arcades, would have been much better to leave space out to a later expansion.  There really is no end game and pvp was basically just battlegrounds which you can tire of fast.  Not to mention very little ability to explore, you are funneled almost everywhere and there is not much end game area at all.  The wardrobe was sorely lacking.  Not to mention there was not very much character differentiation.

All this has been addressed many times before, there is no reason to rehash such a horrible design job.  

If you had taken some time to read the threads on this game you would have realized the issues this game has.  So your sarcasm is actually rather pointless. 

You should learn the meaning of hate, just because you are critical of something does not mean you hate it.

You gave an excellent example of the kind of useless posts that fill up these threads. I simply pointed that out.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411

After all is said and done, if they don't fix the F2P, the game fails. The reason they went to the F2P model so early was because of the early subscription bail outs.

So whats the next logical step if F2P fails?

And it will happen quickly to. EA is all about the bottom line.

• NightkinNightkin Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by protodoxa
    Uhm I read this article expecting to roll my eyes, but I am pleased to learn the Cartel Market is tied to the ingame economy. How does this work exactly? I am not sure I could stomach the game still with all the "story" but I like it when f2p choses this kind of economic implementation of the cash shop currency, so I'll probably check it out if only to see how it works in SWTOR, while skipping as much of the "story" as possible.

When you purchase anything from the in-game store, be it some sort of item or unlock it actually generates an item for you to consume. This item can be traded amongst other players via person-to-person trades or the auction house. There is a short cooldown before you can trade the item, though. This is implemented as a security measure.

True you can buy the unlocks at the auction house. Sadly unlocks are starts from 450k credit up to 3mil. F2P Players have a 200k credit cap. You can't say that still playable for free :D