Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I missing something about the ascended gear hysteria?

BattleFelonBattleFelon Member UncommonPosts: 483

I'm asking this as an honest question and not as a trolling attempt. Why does everyone think ascended gear is such a horrible thing for the average GW 2 player? From everything I've read, this gear will only be necessary for a very small section of the game. It won't affect your ability to explore the world, play most of the dungeons, or effectively PVP.

I get that ArenaNet talked a lot of smack about "there is no endgame," but if you looked at GW 1 there were several "elite" areas like Realm of Torment and The Deep/Urgoz's Warren that appealed to a very small number of elite dungeon runners. Heck there was a time with the Factions dungeons where you had to be in an elite guild just to access those areas. None of that affected my ability to beat missions, grind titles, or play in team arenas.

So if you're against the new gear, what is your biggest fear? Is it imbalancing WVW, preventing most players from progressing, or creating a sense of elitism in the community?

Comments

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138

Because it makes a new level of BiS items even if by only a small margin.  People seem to think this creates a gear grind but it doesnt if you dont care about the marginal stat difference (or farm legendary items which is what this game is about anyway).  I think its over reaction by people who dont understand what the concept really is.  

The majority argument is these stat differences creates a partition between those who have BiS items and those who dont which really isnt the case except in the particular dungeon

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Apparently there is allot of people out there dont want to be "outgeared" by the next guy when they take a break from the game for a couple of months or dont play as often as the next guy.  Im not saying thats whats going to happen to GW2 but obviously there is large group of players that are terrified that it will.

Personally I need it to stay engaged in the grind of repeating the same thing over and over and over which happens in games like this. And to me its no different than someone wanting to come back and do something they havent done for years and not wanting anyone to have gotten something they dont have.  Or earned something that makes them more powerfull then them.  Its not realistic in an MMO, even anything remotely close to one like GW2.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I could do without the gear, sure, but i really need something to work towards now, as i'm not a fanatic of pvp.

I have money, exotics, few characters level 80, dungeons have been beat repeatedly for their exotics, and now...now i have nothing to do in this game i love. I dont really care what they give me, just give me something.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    Unless I'm not getting it the hysteria seems to be based on that people were going to ge striving for cosmetics mostly and now this is sort of going against that. Doesn't matter to me I'm still enjoying the game. haven't had much time to play sincelaunch so i'm not even that deep in. I guess it depends on how far they go with gear.
  • NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

The source of the outrage is less what they are doing, and more about that they lied to us to get us to buy the game. I dont know why it is that people find it hard to believe that there are still people out there that might get a little upset that they basically paid someone for a stated service and then the service was denied. That is pretty much the definition of fraud. 

Had Arenanet been a bit more honest with there customers up front about there intention to add a gear grind, this wouldnt be an issue. But instead all the prerelease marketing explicitly stated the exact opposite (numerous times and with great detail).

I have no problem with gear grinds. I have a problem with dishonesty. It is likely that i will abondon this game at some point in the future for a gear grind, but if i do it will be because the other game will not go out of thier way to lie to me about it.

Im not going to be reactionary about all this. I will still play GW2 till another promising game comes along, but this action on Arenanet's part is the difference between me investing my loyalty and money into GW2 vs me moving onto the next thing.

I just dont see why i should support a company that thinks so little of its customers that it has to BS them. Maybe many of you will pay for the priveledge of being lied to. I will not. They already rec'd about $400 from me, but they wont see a penny more after this.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Content should not be gated by something like gear. It's purely bad game design. People shouldn't be locked out of content period, much less have to go through a linear set of chores before they can get to said content.

And while its only a small set of chores so far, as this game grows eventually there'll be multiple tiers you have to grind before you see new areas.

DAoC managed just fine without ever doing that. Raids were gated by SKILL and CHALLENGE, not by artificial stat barriers.

On top of that, it shows where Arenanets priorities are. They promised this is something they'd never do. And rather than come out and admit to what this is, they tried to play it off like this WASN'T a gear grind.

Meanwhile, their WvW gets no attention, despite it being the part of the game in need of the most.

• KalstarkKalstark Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by Nailzzz

The source of the outrage is less what they are doing, and more about that they lied to us to get us to buy the game. I dont know why it is that people find it hard to believe that there are still people out there that might get a little upset that they basically paid someone for a stated service and then the service was denied. That is pretty much the definition of fraud. 

Had Arenanet been a bit more honest with there customers up front about there intention to add a gear grind, this wouldnt be an issue. But instead all the prerelease marketing explicitly stated the exact opposite (numerous times and with great detail).

I have no problem with gear grinds. I have a problem with dishonesty. It is likely that i will abondon this game at some point in the future for a gear grind, but if i do it will be because the other game will not go out of thier way to lie to me about it.

Im not going to be reactionary about all this. I will still play GW2 till another promising game comes along, but this action on Arenanet's part is the difference between me investing my loyalty and money into GW2 vs me moving onto the next thing.

I just dont see why i should support a company that thinks so little of its customers that it has to BS them. Maybe many of you will pay for the priveledge of being lied to. I will not. They already rec'd about $400 from me, but they wont see a penny more after this.

but what is now stopping you from doing exactly what you were doing before? just like the OP i dont get what everyone is crying about. your saying arenanet didnt lie to you before this but how is this effecting what you were doing before? i think the world is just going downhill so fast and people do nothing these days but complain and complain when the reality is they dont know what their even complaining about. my question to everyone saying arenanet lied is, until they announced this you were enjoying the game and fealt they didnt lie to you, what is stopping you from doing EXACTLY what you were doing before?

• KalstarkKalstark Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Content should not be gated by something like gear. It's purely bad game design. People shouldn't be locked out of content period, much less have to go through a linear set of chores before they can get to said content.

And while its only a small set of chores so far, as this game grows eventually there'll be multiple tiers you have to grind before you see new areas.

DAoC managed just fine without ever doing that. Raids were gated by SKILL and CHALLENGE, not by artificial stat barriers.

yeah there will be different tiers but you wont have to complete tier 1 to get tto tier 2 as they've already explained and stated, again i just dont get what the problem is

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by BattleFelon

I'm asking this as an honest question and not as a trolling attempt. Why does everyone think ascended gear is such a horrible thing for the average GW 2 player? From everything I've read, this gear will only be necessary for a very small section of the game. 

Ascended gear isn't even necessary for a small section of the game.  It's only required (presumably) to play a more difficult version of the same section of the game you had to play to acquire it in the first place.  You don't miss out on anything.  Moreover, I personally find that the motivation to pursue BIS gear is greatly decreased when I know other players can't examine me.  Yeah I have some green accessories on all of my 80s.  Does anyone know?  Nope.  Does it affect my performance?  Statistically, I'm sure it does, but not in any way I can possibly notice in GW2's combat.  

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Hahaha this is complete and udder melodrama.

There is nothing about Ascended gear that changes the game to any significant degree and I challenge you to prove me wrong.

Never mind the fact Ascended is still not as powerful as Legendaries, which have been in the game since before release :S That +4 Power isn't going to let people beat current content significantly easier.

Oh and before you mention Infusions, from everything we've seen so far it seem like it's an added mechanic in order to improve PvE. There is multiple types of Infusions which means that they don't have a simple 1>2>3 progression but rather seem like specialized boons for specific content.

This is completely fabricated.

There is even a whole post on the forums explaining that there won't be more and more tiers, specially not linearly progressive ones. Not only that but Ascended gear is not replacing the top-end gear, that is still legendaries; the power increase from Exotics to Ascended is not anywhere close to what you get from tier to another in other MMO's.

If anything, the fact that you can obtain Ascended gear without having to clear prerequisite dungeons (i.e. the current ones) further weakens your claim that it adds traditional progression.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Kalstark

yeah there will be different tiers but you wont have to complete tier 1 to get tto tier 2 as they've already explained and stated, again i just dont get what the problem is

Any form of tiers are bad. Period.

Second, they also said there'd never be a gear grind, and now there is, so what they promise doesn't mean jack anymore.

And please, stop with the "but its still under legendary tier" tripe. Legendary is cosmetic only. Stop pretending like the new gear doesn't improve stats. It does, 30%.

double posted somehow

Second, they also said there'd never be a gear grind, and now there is, so what they promise doesn't mean jack anymore.

And please, stop with the "but its still under legendary tier" tripe. Legendary is cosmetic only. Stop pretending like the new gear doesn't improve stats. It does, 30%.

Your made up 30% stat and your portrayal of opinion as objective fact make the rest of your arguments so much more persuasive.  

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I didn't finish the game delibrately because the dungeon to finish the story requires a group of people so I'll just leave my gear at it's current exotic level and maybe grind out my last boots or my 3rd legendary (eg grinding skill points) if I did ever return.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

On top of that, it shows where Arenanets priorities are. They promised this is something they'd never do. And rather than come out and admit to what this is, they tried to play it off like this WASN'T a gear grind.

Meanwhile, their WvW gets no attention, despite it being the part of the game in need of the most.

ROFL!! Yeah WoW with 10 million subs is a bad design... You surely know how to make money with MMO don't you? Also from your logic, we should all be able to do any content at any level with any gear?? So if I need some lvl 40 gear to be able to do a lvl 40 dungeon its a bad design? Yeah nice one dude. You clearly have no clue how MMO works.

Stop spreading false rumor of what you think will happen because you clearly have no clue whatsoever. If you hate the game so much, why bother wasting your time coming to the GW2 forums and saying nonsense all the time?

About DAoC raid I can't really say but don't try to make me believe that being high RR didn't gave you no advantage whatsoever...

Try harder next time please.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

No one said that the new gear doesn't improve stats, only the troll failed to understand its meaningless. The 30% is from exotics to Ascended only, not YOUR CHARACTER stats. That's what you trolls failed to understand. If you count from the character stats, the 30% is just plain false. 5 more points in a stat where you have 1000 points in it is meaningless and if you don't understand it then go back to school.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

What we had before was

Tier 1: Exotic

Tier 3: Legendary

What we got now is

Tier 2: Ascended

Anet just filled in the blanks for those who don't have the time or desire to farm for legendary and I find that was a smart move.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

You can't skip levels. its called progression yo

Edit: Currently, Legendaries have the same stats as exotics. Anyone who says Legendaries have higher stats don't know what they are talking about.

The community outrage is because the new content does the following

1) Creates gating- Right now, you are limited to the level of fractal you earned. You can't skip levels. On top of this, drops increase in quality and quanity are increased as you level. Leveling fractals is only done by completing a fractal set.

Not only that, but future content will require Agony buffs. Don't expect to do new content (whether dungeons or not) unless you "earned" Ascended armor from the privious dungeon

2) Adds in an insane amount of grind. It appears to take at least 10-15hrs to get your first ring, which may not even be the one you need for your build. 

3) Better gear is tied to RNG. Currently, Mist Essence is a random drop. People have found ways to grind it out, but its still a random drop. 

4) The entire feeling of the community has changed. Peopel are now kicking people out of groups, or refusing them in groups, based on levels

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by Nailzzz      The source of the outrage is less what they are doing, and more about that they lied to us to get us to buy the game. I dont know why it is that people find it hard to believe that there are still people out there that might get a little upset that they basically paid someone for a stated service and then the service was denied. That is pretty much the definition of fraud.       Had Arenanet been a bit more honest with there customers up front about there intention to add a gear grind, this wouldnt be an issue. But instead all the prerelease marketing explicitly stated the exact opposite (numerous times and with great detail).      I have no problem with gear grinds. I have a problem with dishonesty. It is likely that i will abondon this game at some point in the future for a gear grind, but if i do it will be because the other game will not go out of thier way to lie to me about it.      Im not going to be reactionary about all this. I will still play GW2 till another promising game comes along, but this action on Arenanet's part is the difference between me investing my loyalty and money into GW2 vs me moving onto the next thing.      I just dont see why i should support a company that thinks so little of its customers that it has to BS them. Maybe many of you will pay for the priveledge of being lied to. I will not. They already rec'd about $400 from me, but they wont see a penny more after this.
    but what is now stopping you from doing exactly what you were doing before? just like the OP i dont get what everyone is crying about. your saying arenanet didnt lie to you before this but how is this effecting what you were doing before? i think the world is just going downhill so fast and people do nothing these days but complain and complain when the reality is they dont know what their even complaining about. my question to everyone saying arenanet lied is, until they announced this you were enjoying the game and fealt they didnt lie to you, what is stopping you from doing EXACTLY what you were doing before?

It doesn't stop me playing exactly as I did before, did it piss me off? Yes. Anet said that gear grind wasn't the way forward, they did a u-turn, yes I'm going to point that out and register my distaste on the official forums but I'm not quitting over it, it also makes me worry about the future of the game when there was none before as far as stat progression goes, they stated there will be more.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by Torgrim

What we had before wasTier 1: ExoticTier 3: LegendaryWhat we got now isTier 1: ExoticTier 2: AscendedTier 3: Legendary Anet just filled in the blanks for those who don't have the time or desire to farm for legendary and I find that was a smart move. 

That is not true. Exotics and Legendaries had the exact same stats. The only difference was the grind to get a Legendary. It was a dumb move, there never was a gap, since Legendaries were purely cosmetical upgrades.

With the introduction of a new tier you are outgeared by about 8% or more from those who have reached the next tier. Note that 8% is only one piece, so it culminates to a stat increase of more than 96% (6 trinket slots, 6 armor slots) overall. Of course you will do better than anyone equipped with a lower tier.

Needless to say Ascended gear is another grind as someone found out http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/13gj0p/ascended_gear_and_infusions_how_to_make_them_and/ . Feel free to make up your mind, but the gear grind is there and probably as good as Aion's. Before the update, grind for gear was mostly optional. You had to save a little karma for full exotics, but that's easy to get and could work towards a cosmetic upgrade. Now with Ascended gear, grind becomes mandatory and Ascended gear will make all prior content obsolete/too easy. Thanks to a dumb down-scaling system.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by fundayz

Hahaha this is complete and udder melodrama.

There is nothing about Ascended gear that changes the game to any significant degree and I challenge you to prove me wrong.

Never mind the fact Ascended is still not as powerful as Legendaries, which have been in the game since before release :S That +4 Power isn't going to let people beat current content significantly easier.

Oh and before you mention Infusions, from everything we've seen so far it seem like it's an added mechanic in order to improve PvE. There is multiple types of Infusions which means that they don't have a simple 1>2>3 progression but rather seem like specialized boons for specific content.

This is completely fabricated.

There is even a whole post on the forums explaining that there won't be more and more tiers, specially not linearly progressive ones. Not only that but Ascended gear is not replacing the top-end gear, that is still legendaries; the power increase from Exotics to Ascended is not anywhere close to what you get from tier to another in other MMO's.

If anything, the fact that you can obtain Ascended gear without having to clear prerequisite dungeons (i.e. the current ones) further weakens your claim that it adds traditional progression.

Thanks for underlining that. I find it funny that so many people fall for that spinned claim. There is a tier added, and legendary is just bumped up to that higher tier's stats. So yeah, Ascended didn't replace legendary. But it still added an extra tier in stats. Legendary was never higher then exotics in stats. So it wasn't like you assume (because apparently you didn't know) the top end gear in stats. They are just special looking. Ascended is the new tier they are talking about. The principle is the same. New stats to obtain after you were given the impression that you already had max stats.

So the outrage is mainly about adding new stats instead of just looks like they kept reassuring us if it came to introductions of new gear after release. That they now state that not more stat tiers are going to be added has not much value, because they already came back from that once in the eyes of the ppl who rage about it now.

More importantly, for introducing a new armourset that accepts infusions, there is no reason even to make it's base stats higher. They even put stats on the infusions. Why? It is obviously a carrot for the gear treadmill loving players who kept shouting about GW2 having no endgame.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by IPolygon
    Originally posted by Torgrim

What we had before was

What we got now is

Tier 2: Ascended

Anet just filled in the blanks for those who don't have the time or desire to farm for legendary and I find that was a smart move.

That is not true. Exotics and Legendaries had the exact same stats. The only difference was the grind to get a Legendary. It was a dumb move, there never was a gap, since Legendaries were purely cosmetical upgrades.

With the introduction of a new tier you are outgeared by about 8% or more from those who have reached the next tier. Note that 8% is only one piece, so it culminates to a stat increase of more than 96% (6 trinket slots, 6 armor slots) overall. Of course you will do better than anyone equipped with a lower tier.

Needless to say Ascended gear is another grind as someone found out http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/13gj0p/ascended_gear_and_infusions_how_to_make_them_and/ . Feel free to make up your mind, but the gear grind is there and probably as good as Aion's. Before the update, grind for gear was mostly optional. You had to save a little karma for full exotics, but that's easy to get and could work towards a cosmetic upgrade. Now with Ascended gear, grind becomes mandatory and Ascended gear will make all prior content obsolete/too easy. Thanks to a dumb down-scaling system.

Yes I know they are just cosmetic and don't really add that much of extra stats overall, but what do you propose, no grind at all, how will you set your goals to strive for?

Besides Anet is not done with Ascended and legendary, who know how it will be in the future for the better or worse is yet to be seen but for now I don't see the hassle and drama queen babbling.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• knuckledust13knuckledust13 Member Posts: 22

The selling point of GW2 was no gear treadmill. Now they implemented a full fledged gear treadmill, which rewards players who grind more or buy more gems.

ArenaNet has basically done everything they said they wouldn't and you still think this is "hysteria"? Just look at their recent take on Ascended gear on the Official forum, they think their playerbase is officially retard.

One thing about them I like, tho: the refund policy. I just got my 60 bucks back 2 days ago, couldn't be happier.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Anyone who says "ascended is between exotic and legendary" is flat out lying and borderline trolling.

Everyone well knows that legendaries have [b]identical [/b] stats to exotics. Ascended gear has stats up to 40% higher.

You can't directly compare since there are only legendary weapons, and only ascended rings and cloaks, but they are a brand new tier with previously unseen high stats.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by knuckledust13

The selling point of GW2 was no gear treadmill. Now they implemented a full fledged gear treadmill, which rewards players who grind more or buy more gems.

ArenaNet has basically done everything they said they wouldn't and you still think this is "hysteria"? Just look at their recent take on Ascended gear on the Official forum, they think their playerbase is officially retard.

One thing about them I like, tho: the refund policy. I just got my 60 bucks back 2 days ago, couldn't be happier.

I would agree with Arenanet: if their customers aren't willing to take responsability for their purchase despite knowing that changes may happen, then they deserve no more than scorn. I am actually surprised that Arenanet released so much free content already despite the negative astmosphere.