Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC loses power while playing Rift.

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Sounds like your graphics card is crapping out on you or your system is overheating.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• okay, it's also happening on BF3, so I'm going to assume it's any game.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    I am betting its the PSU. Sounds like you bought a prebuilt comp. and I would bet a dime to a dollar the psu they used is a very cheap one that barely would run the system anyways.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I have no clue what's current, but maybe someone can suggest hardware sensor utility that could help you track this down.

I agree with the idea that it's most likely heat or failing voltage.  Sensors should be able to show you what and where.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • I'm looking for a coretemp download now - someone suggested it for temperature monitoring
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

Sounds like a bad power supply.  What power supply do you have, anyway?  If you took the "standard" 800 W power supply on Cyber Power PC, then it's a piece of junk and needs to be replaced immediately.

Fortunately, a GeForce GT 440 is a fairly low end video card, so it doesn't need a ton of power.  If you leave your processor at stock speeds, then either of these will do:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

If you'd like something a little stronger (and higher quality) to leave room for upgrades, then this will get the job done:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093

The question isn't whether your power supply is a problem.  Rather, it's whether your power supply is the only problem.  A bad power supply can damage other components, so let's hope that hasn't happened yet.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    I've had this issue on a few computers over the years,  most was caused by a bad PSU with the exception of one computer that had a bad stick of ram that was causing the crashing.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Memory bugs usually just crash your game or give a bsod.

Power off is either faulty psu or overheating cpu. Most likely the former as i7s shut down cores and stuff when they get hot.
  • simonwest80simonwest80 Member Posts: 173
    I have seen the over heating issue a few times a quick way to test this is by trying to turn the system on straight after the power off.  If the system boots straight back up with no issues then i would say it isnt heat related, if the system turns on for a few seconds then powers down again i would say this is a very high chance that it is heat related.
  • mikecacklemikecackle Member Posts: 151

You want SPEEDFAN software google it.

A system shutdown is normally a cpu protection, which you set in BIOS

A high end GPU card usually can power down to lower graphics when heating up or warn....

Check your cpu and gpu fans are working, and not full of dust.. the number one culprit..

It's not the PSU, that I will guaruntee. The graphics card/drivers can detect lower power and shutdown the extra features and wont shut down the system

MY guesstimate, CPU OVERHEAT / CHECK FAN / CLEAN DUST

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

I'm betting that your PSU is slowly dying and the currents are fluctuating.

Happened to my last PSU which lasted for aprox. 2 years.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I had this problem back when I was playing Aion, my CPU was overheating. I hadn't changed the thermal paste or cleaned out the heatsink/fan in several years. Once I did everything worked like it was brand new.

Is your fan spinning loudly? Check your temperatures with a program like Speedfan.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Wolfenpride
    I had this problem back when I was playing Aion, my CPU was overheating. I hadn't changed the thermal paste or cleaned out the heatsink/fan in several years. Once I did everything worked like it was brand new.

Is your fan spinning loudly? Check your temperatures with a program like Speedfan.

Shouldn't have to change out the thermal paste if it's done properly to begin with, although with a pre-built, it's anyone's guess. If it has one of those sticky thermal pads (like stock Intel coolers love to come with) those are an absolute nightmare to clean up - it's like caked on double-sided sticky tape, and it all has to come off before you can put the thing back together. So word of warning before you go tearing the heat sink off the CPU - it could be a bit of a chore getting it back together. If temps on the CPU are fine, then I would just dust the fins on the cooler but leave the heat sink firmly attached. If temps on the CPU are off, I'd start with a good cleaning, and if that doesn't help, then pull and reseat the heat sink (there have been cases where heat sink compound wasn't applied at all, where the thermal tape didn't have the plastic removed, where the heat sink was propped up on some debris and not actually mating with the CPU, etc).

Complete cold shutdown/cold reboots are usually power supply or motherboard problems. An extreme case of CPU overheat can do it, but usually you'll see other symptoms first (game starts to studder, sudden FPS loss, computer grinds to a halt, fans all kick into overdrive, etc). GPU or memory problems can also cause cold reboots, but those are a bit more rare - usually you see BSOD's with those.

Everything else here, excellent advice.