Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Celebrating Eight Years

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard Entertainment has released a brand new video to celebrate the eighth anniversary of the world's top MMO, World of Warcraft. Where were YOU the day WoW opened? Tell us your story in the comments after checking out the video!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    While i may not enjoy wow now, there was a time I loved the game, and it has stood the test of time for many.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Greatest of all time, not what it used to be, but its going to be very hard for the passion this game instilled in so many to ever return.
  • dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    I think with the increase in competition in the market WoW has the potential to take a good look at Rift and make some equally impressive changes. Hopefully.
  • ThebigthrillThebigthrill Member UncommonPosts: 117

Blizzard sent a in game mail to everyone regarding the 8th anniversary.

It contained a item you can click that gives you a 8% increase in leveling xp , it last for a week or so cant remember.

But also was a nice letter attached , the letter was the same exact letter we recieved last year, it was reffering to Deathwing.

Blizzard is lazy.

They couldnt include a pet as a gift because they would rather sell it in the item shop.

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!   >  YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Ah, stil some great memories from this.  If all my friends were to be playing again, I'm sure I'd go back without a doubt.  But than, I guess you couldsay that about any game.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Congraturation, Blizzard! You are winner!
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

It contained a item you can click that gives you a 8% increase in leveling xp , it last for a week or so cant remember.

But also was a nice letter attached , the letter was the same exact letter we recieved last year, it was reffering to Deathwing.

Blizzard is lazy.

They couldnt include a pet as a gift because they would rather sell it in the item shop.

Way to turn a happy event into something negative and selfish.  I have a feeling that you are the type of person where, even if you DID receive a pet, you would complain that they didn't send you a mount. 

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480

Blizzard is lazy.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I was playing EVE actually. Thats not a smak towards WoW at all.

But I did have the elitist attiude of most EVE players at the time (and most still have), thats its a cartoon game for kids.

I found out about three years later that it was a damn fun game to play. I count it among some of my best MMO memories, with people I still have contact with, though somewhat irregularly.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Just went back to WoW, quit before WoTlk, now I have 3 expansions worth to play through before I get bored again. XD
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    If only they had another RTS....shut up, Kerrigan!  You had your chance!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Moon-DaddyMoon-Daddy Member UncommonPosts: 101

I was already ready for when it launched as i played since the beta.

I remember thinking how massive this world was, that feeling of seeing the first enemy alliance character.

Getting my full shadowcraft set and showing off in town, later nightslayer

Annoying the alliance while they tried to kill Azuregos

Fighting over Tarren Mill and 12 hour long AV battles.

Then during the games expansions the scale seemed to shrink for me, and i found myself hanging out in cities waiting for dailies/instances or raids to do

I loved the hell out of the game, now like many i long for a similar experience with todays mmo's

Making so much noise you dont know when to listen.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Blizzard is lazy.

This could be said as true, but in a more positive fashion.  They actually decided to release their latest pet as a charity drive for the people involved with Hurricane Sandy; 100% of the proceeds will go to help those people.

I'd rather have the option to pay $10 and help people than be given it in the anniversary.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    It was fun for the first 2 years.
  • Arcondo87Arcondo87 Member Posts: 94
    this video shows how dated the graphics engine is... still a good game but i have outgrown it....
  • zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Yes it was best mmo for me. I was there from beginning and i do return from time to time. Game is so huge that  if you start from scratch you can have fun for  many years. For new generation of gamers is a must have, so they can see how a real classic mmorpg looks like. I would like to see wow in skyrim graphic, that would be something to hold me for another 8 years. Best mmo ever created
  • MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    The fact that I try to get into the game at least once a year again speaks to what it once meant to me. While I may have changed, the game has not. If you haven't tried the game, it isn't a bad place to be.
  • ArbedeArbede Member UncommonPosts: 19
    aaaand... panda.. what a bullshit idea.. just screwed the game so baaad.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I was there at launch and man was it the most epic game I've ever played. No other game, MMO or non-MMO, has given me this sense of epicness like WoW.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!!!  

:' )

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

There are wannabes MMOS which dream to beat WOW and then there is WOW.

WOW isa genre of its own. Success well deserverd.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Ah yes, I remember having fun in WOW 8 years ago, when my son (who was 12 at the time) and I first logged into Azeroth. Now he is 20 and so much has changed.

Well except that almost every MMO since then has been practically the same damn game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Ah yes, I remember having fun in WOW 8 years ago, when my son (who was 12 at the time) and I first logged into Azeroth. Now he is 20 and so much has changed.

Well except that almost every MMO since then has been practically the same damn game.

How bizarre, same experience for me. I got into MMO's a few years before WoW. WoW was one of the first MMO's I played together with my Son who also is now 20.

Since then he's gone on to beome a bit more hardcore than myself... playing GW, DF, Rift, LoL... others...

My son continued to play WoW including all the expansions but stopped after Catacombs. I stopped after I hit level 30 on vanilla WoW and started playing SWG, PS, WWIIOnline.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Say what you want about WoW, but I myself, tend to reup for a month or two after ttrying the new flavors of the month that fall short...   Consider me a member of WoW-anon....  I wont admit it much, but it's just fun to play.