Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift is Far More Dynamic Than GW2

Comments

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by fat_taddler
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Trion is still on top when it comes to dynamic content in themepark MMO's.   I remember over the summer when most people ragged on Rift's dynamic content while touting how much more dynamic GW2 would be.

I enjoy a lot of things about GW2 but there is very little in terms of truly dynamic content.

Prove it. 

Name one event in GW2 that doesn't take place in the same spot every time on a set schedule or when someone talks to the appropriate NPC.

First human zone boss, requires multiple forms of input before it will trigger, from zone population, zone event participation, amount of people closing portals in the swamp itself, and the swamp's trigger quest. No one knows the  combo to make it pop. Dynamic as you'll get. Some days see it twice a day, sometimes dont see it for a week.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

Trion is still on top when it comes to dynamic content in themepark MMO's.   I remember over the summer when most people ragged on Rift's dynamic content while touting how much more dynamic GW2 would be.

I enjoy a lot of things about GW2 but there is very little in terms of truly dynamic content.

While I will agree with you about the dynamics on a certain degree, I find the one big factor with Rift, and that is the combat , slow as all hell , makes LOTRO fun to play, wish they would redo the combat in Rift.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Ehm... What makes you say that?

Maybe because rifts happen unpredictably, can change the face of an entire zone, and even have random interactions with other rifts.  Feels much more alive, like a more organic system, even if they aren't as complex.  

GW2's scripted events just happen in the same places, like clockwork, over and over.  They aren't really what I'd call dynamic at all.  One of my biggest disappointments with that game.

Spot on there - if you let a Rift get out of hand they take over the NPC towns where you turn in quests and just completely go beserk and and change the zone.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286
    Originally posted by Toxia

Prove it. 

Name one event in GW2 that doesn't take place in the same spot every time on a set schedule or when someone talks to the appropriate NPC.

First human zone boss, requires multiple forms of input before it will trigger, from zone population, zone event participation, amount of people closing portals in the swamp itself, and the swamp's trigger quest. No one knows the  combo to make it pop. Dynamic as you'll get. Some days see it twice a day, sometimes dont see it for a week.

But as I've stated before, it will happen at the same spot each time and anytime the right mix of variables are in place according to your post

Prove it. 

But as I've stated before, it will happen at the same spot each time and anytime the right mix of variables are in place according to your post

I gave you what you asked for :)

Is this not the definition of dynamic content?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Prove it. 

Absolutely not the definition of dynamic content.  As you stated in your post, players trigger the content which means it's actually controlled.  In Rift, players have no control of when or where an event / invasion will take place or how much it will affect the zone it spawns in.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

Prove it. 

Absolutely not the definition of dynamic content.  As you stated in your post, players trigger the content which means it's actually controlled.  In Rift, players have no control of when or where an event / invasion will take place or how much it will affect the zone it spawns in.

Fat, I agree with you on the dynamic events, they should be out of the control of player actions and should just happen, which brings it to why Rift has a organic life like feel to it, it is because of what you said in your post.

I will call GW2 events just as they are " Events " nothing more nothing less, they are also stuck to certain sections of the world and do not move to other parts, like in Rift, nothing really changes in GW2 events either, I have a level 80 char Warrior and got to that stage of the game in the first 3 weeks of release, that includes legendarys exotics what have you, and I have not witnessed one event that can even hold a candle to Rifts dynamic event system.

Prove it. 

Controlled by who? Players have input on the combo, but all the players out there could never coordinate enough to make it pop. therefore, they do not control it.

It sounds like you want Dynamic to equal Random content, not changing content, which is what i define dynamic as.

Do i want a zone boss to pop with 4 people in the zone who now cant do their other events or heart quests in the area? Nope...

Do i want a spontaneous event that might pop while a bunch of us are in the area to enjoy it? Hell yeah.

But, if you want Random content, Anet just threw in a series of dungeons for free that are completely random, from which one you get first, to how you get through it.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Prove it. 

Controlled by who? Players have input on the combo, but all the players out there could never coordinate enough to make it pop. therefore, they do not control it.

It sounds like you want Dynamic to equal Random content, not changing content, which is what i define dynamic as.

Do i want a zone boss to pop with 4 people in the zone who now cant do their other events or heart quests in the area? Nope...

Do i want a spontaneous event that might pop while a bunch of us are in the area to enjoy it? Hell yeah.

But, if you want Random content, Anet just threw in a series of dungeons for free that are completely random, from which one you get first, to how you get through it.

You clearly don't understand the definition of "dynamic".

And I'm not saying that GW2 events aren't fun or sometimes epic feeling, they simply are not dynamic which is I say Rift has more dynamic content.

Prove it. 

And I'm not saying that GW2 events aren't fun or sometimes epic feeling, they simply are not dynamic which is I say Rift has more dynamic content.

Dynamic:

Adjective:(of a process or system) Characterized by constant change, activity, or progress.

But...i'll not sway you, so i'll leave it be :) Have fun out there

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Prove it. 

Dynamic:

Adjective:(of a process or system) Characterized by constant change, activity, or progress.

Wow, thanks for proving my point.   None of the events in GW2 "change", they are always in the same spot and require a definitive trigger in order to start.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Well RIFT in some ways might have more dynamic event. However GW2 has WAY more immersion. The game world overall feels MUCH more alive and fluid.  Both game worlds look good. Both have their good points and bad. I am still undecided if I like GW2 Dungeons. However Open world Content and immersion. RIFT left me puking, while I ran my chores/tasks (quests) and tripped over mobs that were entirely to densely packed... While in GW2. I get lost in an amazingly immersive world, and as I travel I enjoy the events. Be it dynamic, Hearts, or Vistas.

IMHO GW2 wins this battle regardless of which events are more dynamic.

Ohh and I think both made a huge mistake by cycling thru on timers.  If mobs take over.. They should REMAIN in charge. Untill players take it back, truly continue to grow in number. Untill only an army of players can take back the area.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

I agree with the OP.

Rift events are more random, more unpredictable and can change the entire zone. I don't know of a dynamic equal in GW2 where one day you can come into a zone and it be calm and peaceful and an hour later the entire zone is overrun with rifts. 

As others have said, GW2 is more like a series of scripted events and less about random chaos. Personally, I find random chaos more dynamic.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

GW2's events aren't dynamic.

You can't manipulate the meaning of words to fit your agenda, silly ArenaNet.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

i was a bit skeptical when it came out to trying rift but thanks to raptr rewards i got the base game and 30 days free .so i tried it out and i am having a blast .much better than gw 2 grind treadmill .

Originally posted by lotaparty

i was a bit skeptical when it came out to trying rift but thanks to raptr rewards i got the base game and 30 days free .so i tried it out and i am having a blast .much better than gw 2 grind treadmill .

Seriously Grind Treadmill? Umm exactly what is Raiding in RIFT? Grinding Treadmill. Thats right.

ALL MMOS starting from level one. Are grinding treadmills End of story. If you dont like to Adventure for new treasure/gear that will improve your character why bother playing these games?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Ehm... What makes you say that?

In GW2 I can set a clock to many of the "dynamic" events while others are simply started when I speak to an NPC (not really dynamic).

However in Rift, you really have no idea when or where an invasion or rift will pop up.

Say what??

I already felt the rinse and repeat of Rifts the first day i played the game.They happen in the same spots albeit there are several spots.They feel exactly the same from one to the next.I have not been able to play Rift past day 3 on three attempts and yet i got way too far in those 3 days like i really had it easy.

Gw2 events are also not DYNAMIC ,they are pre rendered content/quests that simply need triggers to advance,absolutely no different than a normal quest,the ONLY difference is they keep the next part usually invisible,but as far as code goes,it is still there waiting for a trigger to be met.Both games so called dynamic content will repeat over and over.

Neither game  does REAL Dynamic events and i think most know what a real dynamic event is.It would be a one time deal,only to repeat perhaps the next year at same time or during a holiday seasonal event.Even the seasonal events in all games are usually rinse and repeat from the previous year,sometimes games add one or two new items to each repeating holiday event,however the actual event is usually the same assests.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by lotaparty

Give it a couple weeks. While I am  somewhat dissapointed by GW2, I Have sunk over 400 hours and am still playing. Rift on the other hand gave me a couple weeks before I realized how linear it was. By the OP's idea of dynamic then I would say Rift trumps GW2 because yes the rifts are not triggered and do not appear to spawn in the same location due to how wide spread they are. I can tell you that they still spawn in the same spots though because I remember them taking over the same exact places everytime I ran an alt through the zone. I can say this without a doubt because Rifts is one of the most linear leveling experiences I have ever had in a game and after a few characters did the same zones it wasn't hard to figure out when and where the rifts were. 

Yet by my understanding of the events in GW2 as well as the way they were always explained, I feel I get a more dynamic feeling out of GW2. They are both themeparks so lets not play like we really expected truely dynamic content because that's not really thinking realistically. I think we can just agree to disagree.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Agree with OP, didn't find GW2's all that different from regular quests.
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Prove it. 

Try the Secrets in the Swamp in Queensdale. In my research efforts I'm still unable to learn how to trigger all sub events so I can fight the Shadow Behemoth. You know the Boss spawns there, but you don't know how or when it would spawn, just as you know that a spot in Telara spawns a Rift, but you don't know when.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Trion is still on top when it comes to dynamic content in themepark MMO's.   I remember over the summer when most people ragged on Rift's dynamic content while touting how much more dynamic GW2 would be.

GW2s content could be more dynamic yes, but Rifts is nowhere near. Opening up the same rifts and invasions over and over kinda feels like having 5000 kill 10X quests and state they are all very different.

Asherons call felt more dynamic to me than Rift.

I dont know if you even can make "truly dynamic content" without having GMs run everything.

GW2s dynamic content can surely be a lot better and I assume it will be with time, I would love personal DEs based on you (and where you are in the story) instead of where you are for example. Some nightcourt sylvaris jumping my ranger, a thiefguild that got upset on my thief, or a fellow noble sending assasins, or try to force me to vote with him in the council spawning anywhere (but being downleveled just like me) would be really cool.

Some bosses with more random abilities would also be nice.

There is plenty more GW2 can do, but Rift is no good example here.Rift is a very well made game but it still is a regular MMO with a little dynamic content to spice it up at times.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Why is this thread in The Pub?

Because GW2 is the center of the mmorpg universe.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Dynamic:

Wow, thanks for proving my point.   None of the events in GW2 "change", they are always in the same spot and require a definitive trigger in order to start.

This point actually dampened your credibility.  An event that pops up that is the same everytime, even if it you cannot tell when it will occur, is not dynamic by definition.  If left unchecked, the same thing will happen; only in GW2 can "events" move in different paths depending on the actions chosen by the people involved.  It'd be folly to call either truly dynamic at its core, but I'd certainly pick one that has differing objectives and thousands of different outcomes (via thousands of different events) than "Oh, a rift appeared and enemies are spawning again like they have the past few years I've played.  Neat."

Though I have been enjoying the new tools in the expansion; been playing Rift moreso than any other game at the moment.  To add to the "pro" side of the arguement, player made content may in fact have the potential of being dynamic in nature; you enter an area that a player made, and that player may tend to alter the area every day just out of habbit and you'll never know when, how or why he/she did it.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    Originally posted by Loke666

Trion is still on top when it comes to dynamic content in themepark MMO's.   I remember over the summer when most people ragged on Rift's dynamic content while touting how much more dynamic GW2 would be.

GW2s content could be more dynamic yes, but Rifts is nowhere near. Opening up the same rifts and invasions over and over kinda feels like having 5000 kill 10X quests and state they are all very different.

Asherons call felt more dynamic to me than Rift.

I dont know if you even can make "truly dynamic content" without having GMs run everything.

GW2s dynamic content can surely be a lot better and I assume it will be with time, I would love personal DEs based on you (and where you are in the story) instead of where you are for example. Some nightcourt sylvaris jumping my ranger, a thiefguild that got upset on my thief, or a fellow noble sending assasins, or try to force me to vote with him in the council spawning anywhere (but being downleveled just like me) would be really cool.

Some bosses with more random abilities would also be nice.

There is plenty more GW2 can do, but Rift is no good example here.Rift is a very well made game but it still is a regular MMO with a little dynamic content to spice it up at times.

This has been done before in CoH/CoV... Ambushed when you left one of your instances? I could imagine it could be easility placed in your Story.. Could you imagine you left a story instance, and untill you finished the arc you would be plagued by things from that story spawning outside from time to time.... Good ideas, that have been implemented before. Arena net needs to get on it.

• itsbigmikeitsbigmike Member Posts: 86

I'm a little conflicted on this. I really liked Rift, but none of my RL friends wanted to play it so after a few months I stopped without really accomplishing/experiencing too much of it

GW2 on the other hand, I had an enormous amount of fun for the first month, but I was in the same no friends wanna play it situation, AND I pretty much felt like I had experienced pretty much all the game had to offer(every dungeon on story/explorer, countless hours in wvwvw, 4 80s)

I think they're both good games but I think I'd almost have to vote for Rift in this, just because I wasnt able to plow thorugh everything the game had to offer

twitch.tv/boonmackle