Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift is Far More Dynamic Than GW2

Trion is still on top when it comes to dynamic content in themepark MMO's.   I remember over the summer when most people ragged on Rift's dynamic content while touting how much more dynamic GW2 would be.

I enjoy a lot of things about GW2 but there is very little in terms of truly dynamic content.

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Ehm... What makes you say that?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Have to agree with you here Quirhid. Even if the OP thinks its more dynamic it isn't "Far" more imho. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It isn't in pvp.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Maybe because rifts happen unpredictably, can change the face of an entire zone, and even have random interactions with other rifts.  Feels much more alive, like a more organic system, even if they aren't as complex.  

GW2's scripted events just happen in the same places, like clockwork, over and over.  They aren't really what I'd call dynamic at all.  One of my biggest disappointments with that game.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

In GW2 I can set a clock to many of the "dynamic" events while others are simply started when I speak to an NPC (not really dynamic).

However in Rift, you really have no idea when or where an invasion or rift will pop up.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

Trion is still on top when it comes to dynamic content in themepark MMO's.   I remember over the summer when most people ragged on Rift's dynamic content while touting how much more dynamic GW2 would be.

I enjoy a lot of things about GW2 but there is very little in terms of truly dynamic content.

Prove it. 

In GW2 I can set a clock to many of the "dynamic" events while others are simply started when I speak to an NPC (not really dynamic).

However in Rift, you really have no idea when or where an invasion or rift will pop up.

But aren't there only a limited selection of rifts even if they do spawn randomly? Random appearance and location makes them dynamic? That's lame... They felt like they were a gimmick.

But aren't there only a limited selection of rifts even if they do spawn randomly? Random appearance and location makes them dynamic. They felt like a gimmick.

I agree that  companies should take dynamic content to the next level but if you look at the two current AAA MMO's boasting about dynamic content, Rift wins, hands down.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

But aren't there only a limited selection of rifts even if they do spawn randomly? Random appearance and location makes them dynamic? That's lame... They felt like they were a gimmick.

i would put Rifts and Dynamic Events on par with eachother.  niether are really dynamic,  both feel somewhat gimmicky.  i would give the 'dynamic edge' to Rift.  some of the rifts and invasions have to possibilty to shut down entire zones.  in gw2 you can bypass events and still progress.

Originally posted by Badaboom

Prove it. 

Name one event in GW2 that doesn't take place in the same spot every time on a set schedule or when someone talks to the appropriate NPC.

I agree that  companies should take dynamic content to the next level but if you look at the two current AAA MMO's boasting about dynamic content, Rift wins, hands down.

I will disagree on the basis of rifts were so lame I can't call them dynamic. Atleast have some dynamic events affecting each other and some of them having more than just the "pass/fail" end states.

You could build a whole web of events if you develop it more. Rifts... not so much.

• NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76

So basically what you're saying is it's more dynamic because they made a random number generator, and not a fun system.

Before I go off the topic, is GW2 dynamic? Not as much as advertised. Do I have a problem with that? No.

In my opinion a game can be as dynamic as it wants to be, such as having a player character get ahold of a super weapon and blast a hole into the game world's largest mountain. Does that make it a good game, or fun? No, what about the people that were taking a break during that time?

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

agree with OP.

GW2 so called dynamic events are getting stale fast, in fact the dynamic events are happening in an endless loop.

Nice try, but far from "dynamic".

I could even call a Flashpoint in TOR a dynamic event too in that context, if it would happen in the open world instead of being an instance.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Name one event in GW2 that doesn't take place in the same spot every time on a set schedule or when someone talks to the appropriate NPC.

Any PvP event for starters.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Have to agree with you here Quirhid. Even if the OP thinks its more dynamic it isn't "Far" more imho. 

+1

FAR more dynamic my tushie.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Maybe because rifts happen unpredictably, can change the face of an entire zone, and even have random interactions with other rifts.  Feels much more alive, like a more organic system, even if they aren't as complex.  

GW2's scripted events just happen in the same places, like clockwork, over and over.  They aren't really what I'd call dynamic at all.  One of my biggest disappointments with that game.

I only did the trial and experienced a few rifts.  Do more things happen than just a bunch of enemies spawning?

I love the gw2 events. It's cool to be part of a long chain, have npc's flag you down, listen to idle npc's chatter which will give hints to some area and to follow the npc's who, for example, will take equipment you gave them to where they said they would go. 

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

I will disagree on the basis of rifts were so lame I can't call them dynamic. Atleast have some dynamic events affecting each other and some of them having more than just the "pass/fail" end states.

You could build a whole web of events if you develop it more. Rifts... not so much.

some of Trions 'dynamic content' does "build a whole web of event".  have you ever experienced a zone event in Rift? 

Originally posted by muffins89

some of Trions 'dynamic content' does "build a whole web of event".  have you ever experienced a zone event in Rift? 

You misunderstand me. With only two end states per event, you'll end up with a line of events (loop at most), but with multiple end states, the line can branch out. That is what I mean by a web of events.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I don't think either is really very dynamic TBH. Yes DEs happen in the same spots all the time but I find their actual content more fun than Rift's er rifts.Also Rifts cannot spawn anywhere ont he map there are definite spawn points on the maps where they spawn and even mor elimtied palces where raid rifts will spawn.

Also whilst there are zoene events they are also on tiemers and do not change the landscape of the zone once they are done and are also on timers.

So yeah both games are on par.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

It is silly how much the dynamic events were being said as the "next evolution" in gw2.  And they were exactly what a few of us said before launch, but were shouted down.  That they were Warhammer events, but a tiny bit bigger, and could go backwards instead of just forwards.

Revolutionary!

But yeah, the OP is right in that portals are random, which is a little bit more dynamic than gw2, but gw2 has so many more "choices" between events.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Monsters from 2 different kind of Rifts would fight each other they also fight mobs and NPCs alike.

Troops march out and gradually conquer the map with strongholds if not kept in check.

I think Rifts could be done better but they do have a way greater impact on the workd and are more dynamic and unpreidctable than the GW2 events.

I would have loved to see 2 world events happening at the same time in Rift that would have been epic.

On a pvp server its even better having world events ius not only a fight against the NPcs its also a fight against the other faction and having rl players fighting you in a events is far more Dynamic than any repeding scripted event in GW2.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Nightgroper

is GW2 dynamic? Not as much as advertised. 

they are really good in advertising and making up new words for old concepts.

Dynamic events which are not dynamic.

Also  inventing "B2P", which is in fact a free game with a relatively cheap 60$ lifetime sub attached, but too heavy focus on cash shop with keys for gambling boxes.

Yeah it was fun for some time, but below the line rather a disappointment for me. The graphics were great though.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• AsabellAsabell Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by muffins89

I experienced zone events up untill about a year ago when there wasn't enough people or intrest to have anyone do them untill the very end .Has something changed where you actually get more then the 5 or 6 different rifts over and over again?

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Why is this thread in The Pub?
  • rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

Wow you really really proved your point, thanks for opening my eyes. I can make a clear purchase now based on this wealth of information showing which game is better and why.