Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel One Thousand Years Ago

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the things that seems to strike a chord in fans of The Elder Scrolls Online is the way that ZeniMax is making the game feel like an Elder Scrolls game. Sounds weird, but it makes sense to those who love the series. We have something to say about that and hope you'll join the conversation in the comments.

One of the things that is very exciting in the Q&A was the mention of Dragon Shrines in the Skyrim region. It is elements like this that will make the game feel very much like Elder Scrolls and not just another MMO. It will be these minor touches that really work the player into the game world. If I am traveling in Skyrim the first thing I want to do is go out and find the Dragon Shrines. Or possibly explore cities like Riften. These places stay with you as a gamer. So having them presented to you in a brand new game will be very exciting. The fact that the team is working heavily with other source materials from other games helps. However the real challenge is the re-delivery of these epic places. 

Read more of Garrett Fuller's The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel One Thousand Years Ago .

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    I'm still not convinced. the first video i see with a Tab targeting system, and quest givers standing there with an icon over their heads and i'm gonna scream "i effing told you so".
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    they need to find the right balance of players per 'mega-server 'pocket''.  i understand that it's an mmo but that doesnt mean the zones have to be overflowing with people.  part of makes the ES games great is the intamacy between your character and the world.  nothing would screw that feeling up more than overcrowded zones full of people /dancing.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I actually hope they let us give our preferences for how populated the areas we go to are.

Like, I don't want to be in a pocket of a PvE area with hundreds of other players.

Ever.

Not in an ES MMO.

One thing Skyrim and other ES games did right that no MMO has been able to match is the feeling that being "out in the wild" is really a far more dangerous and unpredictable place than the comforts and security of civilization.

I want to run into other players in towns and cities, and fight with and party with players at my choosing.

But running into tons of other people "in the wild" would be a huge no no to me in an ES world.

I just hope they don't completely screw up the quest to kill XP / skill gain ratios.

I want to be able to just wander the world killing stuff and exploring to level my toon and not be forced to quest.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Really, for the small dungeon areas that are very similar to one another, (which is how it is in oblivion and skyrim, don't remember morrowind), instancing isn't a bad idea.  For larger dungeons, a controlled instancing (where each instance can have a certain number of people) is a better approach.  Then finally, for some massive dungeons that are more like regions themselves or contain raid like bosses, no instancing or at least allow a LOT of people there.

But for the tiny places, there's no need to run into 15 people down there.  The only time it would make sense to run into ANYONE not already in your group is if it was a world pvp game and they were a diff faction or ffa pvp.  Which neither of these is what they are planning.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No instancing is a bad idea
    Zoning them dungeons is an acceptable idea though.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    No instancing is a bad idea
    Zoning them dungeons is an acceptable idea though.

uh, wut?  Of course zoning is acceptable... LOL acceptable.  THAT'S HOW IT WAS DONE IN THE SINGLE PLAYER VERSIONS!

don't make my keyboard yell, it hurts my fingers.  What we are talking about is multiplayer and obviously SOME concessions have to be made.  Running into a bunch of other players looting chests and setting off traps in a small cramped cave obviously isn't going to work.  No one is incapable of grasping this... I hope.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Come on TES we need you to save the mmorpg " massively multi.....roleplaying grouches" community. Please deliver all that we want and make us forget about this past year in mmo gaming come on TES you can do it.
  • fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409
    itll be fun, but same as all mmos, when it launchs 1 week later people will say its not fun, 2 weeks later people will say mass exodus, games dying, fourms will get riddled with i hate thie game posts. a mmo could have Everything everyone wants in the world in the game and same thing will still happen, There just is NO pleasing people period.
  • logan400klogan400k Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I will be impressed if they reach back as far as Arena and Daggerfall and work the lore of those games into ESO.

Just My 2 Lunars

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    itll be fun, but same as all mmos, when it launchs 1 week later people will say its not fun, 2 weeks later people will say mass exodus, games dying, fourms will get riddled with i hate thie game posts. a mmo could have Everything everyone wants in the world in the game and same thing will still happen, There just is NO pleasing people period.

Agree 100%

Theres alot of people who like being negative for negativeity sakes and it stinks like hell.  Its funny how so many bitch about vertain games and request it to be like X game when theres like 4 X style games in development for those guys to follow but instead they sit around bitching about Y game.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

So true. The mmo gamers are playing a boring meta game with "wow-clone", "epic fail", "lulz" as main tags....Rather annoying thing tbh

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by mymmo

So true. The mmo gamers are playing a boring meta game with "wow-clone", "epic fail", "lulz" as main tags....Rather annoying thing tbh

I'm pretty sure everyone on these forums has a different idea of what constitutes a 'good mmo' and they are all different, so if you manage to make half of them happy (which would be very difficult) then you'll still get the other half raging about how terrible the game is, however its generally not that it's a terrible game its just that its not those people's sort of game...

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Agree 100%. Also, the awfull thing is that devs may change and shape the game to cater to that audience, like they will care for it after they hit level cap in 3 days (not saying that ESO will be that fast to level, im just reffering to those "omg im max level in 3 days and there is not enough content" idiots).

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• coldcorpsecoldcorpse Member UncommonPosts: 4

I better be able to steal all the forks in a house if not this game is not worth it.

I am only somewhat kidding.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I think what they should do for a mega server is have players spawn randomly in the world instead of having dedicated starting zones. If players want to play with their friends they can take a carriage or something. I think they are gonna put in phasing, which is nothing new. I don't really like it though.

I'm wondering how the player emperor thing is gonna work out too.

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    I'm still not convinced. the first video i see with a Tab targeting system, and quest givers standing there with an icon over their heads and i'm gonna scream "i effing told you so".

How else would you move between targets, especially if mouse-click is the attack button?  How else would you identify quest givers?  Please don't tell me you want to go back to the old MUD days (and old MUD player numbers) of having to talk to and remember EVERY NPC to find quests?

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by mymmo

Please....they now start to bitch 1-2 weeks into BETA. Mass exodus 1 week after launch.....that's how they roll these days.

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    It will be huge success
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

A big problem for me is that the devs have been talking about how each player will "See the world in regards to how their quests have been done" or words to that effect.

How does this not sound like "a single player game in shared space". Again.

Were they not paying attention to what happened with TOR?

Plus all the other bad design decisions are being made: locked  race/factions, only being able to go to 1/3 of the world, and on and on.

How anyone (let alone a fan of the ES games) can be even remotely excited about this title is beyond me.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

It attracts those players for a reason, its mostly the same crowd and a  vocal one that screams that.

Strange thing is that Eve do not have this, their playerbase is among the strongest of any mmo ever build.

Sandbox games are create a better bond between guilds / players then themepark games i think.

This mmo will have sandbox elements as far as i know, it may be diffrent ;)

• DreggerDregger Member Posts: 8
    About floating quest markers; they won't need to add that. They just do what they always do, grabbing hold of the camera and shoving it into the NPC face :P
  • TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by coldcorpse

I better be able to steal all the forks in a house if not this game is not worth it.

I am only somewhat kidding.

Forget the forks.

All your sweet rolls are belong to me. image

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

WoW meets Daoc/Everquest with Darkfall controls.

You can simply start yet to Google links for Aimbots and Cheats to know the Sites you have to go for after TESO is released...

If they be lucky they go the SWTOR way of MMOs.

I should be excited bcs Skyrim and Elder Scrolls is the last great RPG series and so should TESO be great as well but i feel its only the Menetekel of the RPG-MMO-Genre.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't get the everquest and darkfall comparisons. The combat is like oblivion / skyrim but with a hotbar (which I prefer to the q menu), rather than darkfall. Why EQ? The open dungeons? They are in daoc too, but daoc did them better, no spawn camp / mob stealing.
  • A seamless world I think is one of the most important things. And since they have only one continent, there really is no excuse not to have it. It would be rather hilarious if the MMO version of The Elder Scrolls turned out to be less open than the single player games.