Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I dont get it

MogcatMogcat Member UncommonPosts: 193

So I get free to play Star Wars for a laugh. Ive read all the rage here and I just want to see what its like.

I get in and man its really fun. I thought the combat was going to be press your button 100000 years later it responds but no its pretty responsive. Theres something fun about running around blasting things in the face or wielding a lightsaber. The combat is not that bad. The story quests are really good too I was having more fun with them then I though I would.

Then theres free to play I read all the stuff here and was preparing my defenses for the monetary onslaught that would be coming my way from EA! OOOHH SHIII- Oh wait.. whats this.. It doesnt seem that bad at all. I was scanning the shop for things that would piss me off or restrictions that I would send me reeling away at lightspeed. Nope. Most of the cash shop has useless crap I dont want. The only things that annoy me are credit restrictions and the quickbar thing like seriously EA give me my god forsaken quickbars. Otherwise I dont give a shit about anything else. I just want my co op story which ive got for free on every class. Honestly I cant see the nickle and diming.

Dungeons? meh I guess if you really care about them, flashpoints meh, mail meh, warzones meh, operations meh, space combat LOL, umm what else, titles id like but i can live, some character customisation whatever, the galactic trade network dont care why would i sit on the ah when im just for the story. Restrictions on companions i guess is annoying but i dont really care about them cause i like my blaster better. no epics dont care not in it for epics.

Feels like I got a new online/co-op kotor for free and just have to pay for all the extra stuff. Been playing with my friend who was subbed before and its fun doing the story with him. Hes having fun Im having fun. Its for free everybody wins.

I mean.... pewpew its star wars!

Comments

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Mogcat

So I get free to play Star Wars for a laugh. Ive read all the rage here and I just want to see what its like.

I get in and man its really fun. I thought the combat was going to be press your button 100000 years later it responds but no its pretty responsive. Theres something fun about running around blasting things in the face or wielding a lightsaber. The combat is not that bad. The story quests are really good too I was having more fun with them then I though I would.

Then theres free to play I read all the stuff here and was preparing my defenses for the monetary onslaught that would be coming my way from EA! OOOHH SHIII- Oh wait.. whats this.. It doesnt seem that bad at all. I was scanning the shop for things that would piss me off or restrictions that I would send me reeling away at lightspeed. Nope. Most of the cash shop has useless crap I dont want. The only things that annoy me are credit restrictions and the quickbar thing like seriously EA give me my god forsaken quickbars. Otherwise I dont give a shit about anything else. I just want my co op story which ive got for free on every class. Honestly I cant see the nickle and diming.

Dungeons? meh I guess if you really care about them, flashpoints meh, mail meh, warzones meh, operations meh, space combat LOL, umm what else, titles id like but i can live, some character customisation whatever, the galactic trade network dont care why would i sit on the ah when im just for the story. Restrictions on companions i guess is annoying but i dont really care about them cause i like my blaster better. no epics dont care not in it for epics.

Feels like I got a new online/co-op kotor for free and just have to pay for all the extra stuff. Been playing with my friend who was subbed before and its fun doing the story with him. Hes having fun Im having fun. Its for free everybody wins.

Call us back after about three or four weeks and let us know what you think then.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Call us back after about three or four weeks and let us know what you think then.

^

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• MogcatMogcat Member UncommonPosts: 193

You know maybe your right and down the line Im going to be like goddamn this game is sucking now. I reget spending all that money- oh wait!

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

You can say this for about every MMO listed on this site by many,

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    There's nothing wrong with the combat, its just standard wow combat.

There's a lot else wrong though. Like the amount of time you are instanced off on your own in a mmo. Having to sit through a bunch of boring cutscenes for dull old kill 10 whomprats quests. The total blocking off and discouragement of pvp, on pvp servers. The call of duty style corridors & cutscenes leveling experience. The shear banal Linearality of it all. The way it feels less like a mmo than single player games like skyrim. The amazingly boring amount of travel half way around the galaxy then walk half a planet then come back then get sent a third planet before coming back quest chains, that make you feel more like a space trucker than a jedi. The stupid binaryness of the light / dark side system, where you get punished for not going all out 1 way or the other. The dumbass even dumber than wow type crafting, where you don't even craft your companions do.

You know maybe your right and down the line Im going to be like goddamn this game is sucking now. I reget spending all that money- oh wait!

I didn't say anything about the price.  I'm referring to the game sucking and being a general waste of time.  That's my opinion though.  It might be the best game you've ever played, so I say go for it.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by grimal

^^ This.

The only thing that was getting on my nerves with SWTOR was the fact that when you have two level 50 toons and running the almost same story quests over and over kinda gets on ya abit, the combat was a blast , the worlds are alot of fun, maybe when they release a expac then we'll see more meat on the bones of SWTOR, not every new mmorpg has ever been released with eight years of content!

I didn't say anything about the price.  I'm referring to the game sucking and being a general waste of time.  That's my opinion though.  It might be the best game you've ever played, so I say go for it.

The part in red is what I don't get?

Every game is a waste of time if you think about it, now what matters is are you having fun? Ect ect ect,.. Every game that ever came out if a " Waste of time " So to speak.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Dungeons? meh I guess if you really care about them

flashpoints meh

mail meh

warzones meh

operations meh,

space combat LOL

umm what else, titles id like but i can live, some character customisation whatever

the galactic trade network dont care why would i sit on the ah when im just for the story.

Restrictions on companions i guess is annoying but i dont really care about them cause i like my blaster better. no epics dont care not in it for epics

I think you got it.

Let's internet

Originally posted by Aeolron

Every game is a waste of time if you think about it, now what matters is are you having fun? Ect ect ect,.. Every game that ever came out if a " Waste of time " So to speak.

You got it just fine.  A game is only a waste of time if you aren't enjoying it.  I don't enjoy this one.  Your mileage may vary.

Lol I know I was only poking fun. To be honest Ive relised Im only playing it for story with my friend and I guess Im not really caring about anything else. Maybe its because of my lack of investment  in swtor.

You got it just fine.  A game is only a waste of time if you aren't enjoying it.  I don't enjoy this one.  Your mileage may vary.

Yeah I hear ya , just wish there was a mmo sandbox with the same crafting mechanics like SWG had , Hmmm Archage? One could only dream at this point!

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by grimal

You can say it for every single player game, but MMO not really - Every other MMO I have played there has always been a reason to keep returning to them, plus they have worlds where you can "live" in, especiallty SWG - that had infinite ciontent, depending on your level of imagination, the 32 professions and the deep crafting system gave you years of entertainment alone

SWTORs problem is they just sit on content, and do not do anything to add more, and the worlds are so stagnant it does not atract people to "live" in them

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Lol I know I was only poking fun. To be honest Ive relised Im only playing it for story with my friend and I guess Im not really caring about anything else. Maybe its because of my lack of investment  in swtor.

I think this may be one big thing.  People want to and love to invest a huge amount of time, effort, and emotion into MMOs.  I just play TOR for the story, some pvp and flashpoints, and having a good time with friends.

I'm not playing it to raid or be the best geared PvP with all the trimmings.  It's star wars, has great music, the best story in a mmo, combat is alright.  I had more fun playing WoW, but I had like...300 people I could play with at any time in that game.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

you obviously didnt play before it was f2p. I thought it was greated MMO ever...for about a month..like most of us. Then the varnish wears off and you realize you have just been fooled.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Well, to get it, you have to invest more time and the flaws will make themselves apparent.

First character playthorugh is very fun&interesting experience.

Second playthrough, no alternative leveling zones starts to take it's toll. You don't feel like playing the same planets in same order, but you have to, in order to progress your story. You start skipping dialogues, even the story ones, or alt-tab to browse the web during the cutscenes. Alt-tab back and you have loading screen again to get back into game. Space combat is fun for a couple of missions and then it gets grindy and repetitive. 

Flashpoints are not very interesting and rewards are weak. You realize that loading screens take forever and wonder why didn't they implement Arcanoid mini-game while you wait for Tatooine to load. You're thinking about leveling through PVP, but you feel if you hear "Let's play Huttball" one more time, you're going to have epileptic seizure.

Third playthrough, you finally got a new keyboard, cause the old one's space bar was busted. You decide to try other faction, but it's maintenance time. Third time this week, usually prime time in Europe (5PM and later). Your subscription expired. You quit.

Yeah I hear ya , just wish there was a mmo sandbox with the same crafting mechanics like SWG had , Hmmm Archage? One could only dream at this point!

It's frustrating.  I've been trying to find an MMO to call home for years now.  It has been a series of disappointments with lackluster games. 

The thing is, there is an emerging market for people like you and me who are done with pure themeparks like this one.  There will always be players for these, but some of us ready for something deeper (and have been for a long time).

Originally posted by Swanea

I think this may be one big thing.  People want to and love to invest a huge amount of time, effort, and emotion into MMOs.  I just play TOR for the story, some pvp and flashpoints, and having a good time with friends.

I'm not playing it to raid or be the best geared PvP with all the trimmings.  It's star wars, has great music, the best story in a mmo, combat is alright.  I had more fun playing WoW, but I had like...300 people I could play with at any time in that game.

Also I might add that I find that I treat it like a co-op rpg then anything else. To be honest thats kinda what it is imo. A co-op rpg with stuff added on to it which is all the stuff you have to pay more which also shows why I dont really care about anything in the cah shop.

Seriously though who do I have to force choke to get my extra quickbars!

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Playing and having fun is called entertainment.

Playing and not having fun is called waste of time.

I consider the two as being quite different.

(pardon an out of sync reply,  was fighting with wi-fi and by the time I got to reply my comment is obsolete)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Also I might add that I find that I treat it like a co-op rpg then anything else. To be honest thats kinda what it is imo. A co-op rpg with stuff added on to it which is all the stuff you have to pay more which also shows why I dont really care about anything in the cah shop.

What server are you on?

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

A waste of Game-Time. It's quite a precious resource for us family-folk :P.

I'm dead-serious, by the way. Our games need to be full-on entertaining.

What server are you on?

The oceanic pve one. I cant belive they have oceanic servers that are actually in the oceanic area... No company does this for me not even the mighty Blizzard. 30 ms in swtor what... WHAT This doesnt make... I need to lie down.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

1) You didn't buy the game for full price

2) You haven't reached the point where the quickslot bar limitation becomes a problem

3) You haven't reached an endgame that doesn't warrant a sub

I bought the game because I really enjoyed the sith assasin story in the open beta.  I didn't have a well informed opinion of the game until hitting the level cap

What server are you on?

The oceanic pve one. I cant belive they have oceanic servers that are actually in the oceanic area... No company does this for me not even the mighty Blizzard. 30 ms in swtor what... WHAT This doesnt make... I need to lie down.

Ah, I would have bought you a ui bar if you were on pot5

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

The only things that annoy me are credit restrictions and the quickbar thing like seriously EA give me my god forsaken quickbars. 

1) You didn't buy the game for full price

2) You haven't reached the point where the quickslot bar limitation becomes a problem

3) You haven't reached an endgame that doesn't warrant a sub

I bought the game because I really enjoyed the sith assasin story in the open beta.  I didn't have a well informed opinion of the game until hitting the level cap

1) I agree. I have no money invesment from the start plus I know when it starts to suck I can walk away with no money spent.

2) I agree and left the excerpt from my op.

3) I would only get a sub if by lv50 I really really REALLY REEEEAAAALLLLLYYY like it and even then probably not.

I understand where you are coming from.