Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen raises record 6+mil on Kickstarter

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    great.....how about getting down 'n dirty now and actually making the game? we want gameplay videos.
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    It is not over yet. 42 min running. It is now on 6.1 m and counting.
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

They asked for 2 mil.  The community has given them more than three times what they wanted to make the game happen.  Can't wait to see what they manage out of it.

I know all the space stuff will be great but I can't wait to see what they do with the stuff when you're NOT in a cockpit.  That whole 'live among the stars' aspect.

Now my worry is... Chris has been known to run up costs (I work in the industry, someone I know used to work with him... CR kind of caused EA to cancel big budget sci-fi games after running up costs on Wing Commander ridiculously over budget.) so I really hope he's got someone managing the money and they make the best use of it possible.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    great.....how about getting down 'n dirty now and actually making the game? we want gameplay videos.

yeh. It is funny how many suckers are out there. However, i am more than happy to play the final product (if there is one) funded by others.

• Great that they've got so much support. I kind of think it's a shame they're spending so much on what's probably a very linear single player portion you won't be playing more than once. I'd rather they focused on making more stuff for you to do in the rest of the game.

Two things I'd really like:

1. The new Elite game gets an equal amount of support.

2. Both games turn out really great and kickstart the space sim genre once more.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

If i was the Star Citizen devs i'd be dropping bricks now.. A: They will never ever be able to live up to the game that fans have built in their mind. B: These fans will set a new record in entitelment. Put these two together and i hope that the poor devs have a good in-house councelor.

I have no doubt it will bea good game... But seeing as a good bunch of people seems to think it is the comming of (insert diety here) they do not really stand a chance.

I have to admit that is was wrong about the kickstarter. I did not think it would make it over 5.

This have been a good conversation

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

There is a forum section specifically for Star Citizen, you know.  It's over here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/1416/General-Discussion.html

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

That's the great part about kickstarter projects.  They're under no obligation to produce anything with the money you donate.  For all we know they went to Las Vegas and lost it at the craps table.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by DeaconX

They asked for 2 mil.  The community has given them more than three times what they wanted to make the game happen.  Can't wait to see what they manage out of it.

I know all the space stuff will be great but I can't wait to see what they do with the stuff when you're NOT in a cockpit.  That whole 'live among the stars' aspect.

Now my worry is... Chris has been known to run up costs (I work in the industry, someone I know used to work with him... CR kind of caused EA to cancel big budget sci-fi games after running up costs on Wing Commander ridiculously over budget.) so I really hope he's got someone managing the money and they make the best use of it possible.

actually the community gave them 2.1 million on kickstarter. 

Originally posted by nariusseldon

yeh. It is funny how many suckers are out there. However, i am more than happy to play the final product (if there is one) funded by others.

If you want to play it, you have to fund it, too. In other words buy it, the full price. It is not free to play.

I funded it, because i know that i want to play it, and i would buy it anyway. I played all games from chris roberts, and was not once disappointed(and i cant say that from a lot of game designer)... so there is no reason to not throw a little money into it to get it developed in the first place, and as a bonus i just had to pay 30$ instead of 50-60$. I am ok with that.

@others: And about expectations: Well.. i expect a game like Wing Commander + Privateer/Freelance. What more to ask. And if i get more, so be it. But i will be more than happy with just the Wing Commander Privateer/Freelancer Part.

Adn about budget.. this game will cost more than just those 6million dollars. You can bet for it. And as he already said, he had some investors and some privat cash.. all those crowd funding is just additional cash.

Originally posted by muffins89

actually the community gave them 2.1 million on kickstarter. 

and over 4 million at their site. In summary over 6 million.. noone said anything else.

Originally posted by Apraxis

If you want to play it, you have to fund it, too. In other words buy it, the full price. It is not free to play.

I funded it, because i know that i want to play it, and i would buy it anyway. I played all games from chris roberts, and was not once disappointed(and i cant say that from a lot of game designer)... so there is no reason to not throw a little money into it to get it developed in the first place, and as a bonus i just had to pay 30$ instead of 50-60$. I am ok with that.

@others: And about expectations: Well.. i expect a game like Wing Commander + Privateer/Freelance. What more to ask. And if i get more, so be it. But i will be more than happy with just the Wing Commander Privateer/Freelancer Part.

Adn about budget.. this game will cost more than just those 6million dollars. You can bet for it. And as he already said, he had some investors and some privat cash.. all those crowd funding is just additional cash.

No i don't have to fund it. I just have to buy it when it is released. There is a big difference. When i fund it on kickstarter, it is funding a promise. Chris Roberts can be hit by a bus tomorrow. His company can go into bankruptcy .. a thousand things can go wrong and you will leave with no game, or a game that is no good.

I will decide if i really want to play it after it is released and have some reviews. I don't blindly give money to a dev just because they promise a good game.

No i don't have to fund it. I just have to buy it when it is released. There is a big difference. When i fund it on kickstarter, it is funding a promise. Chris Roberts can be hit by a bus tomorrow. His company can go into bankruptcy .. a thousand things can go wrong and you will leave with no game, or a game that is no good.

I will decide if i really want to play it after it is released and have some reviews. I don't blindly give money to a dev just because they promise a good game.

It is ok. It is your choice. And mine was to fund it. And i am ok with that.

And i will fund not just that, even more any project i think it is worth funding. If i think the developer have enough credibility for me, and the project has enough value for being developed. It is a choice to encourage specific developments, i wouldnt get

a) that fast

b) that particular type of game

c) not at all

And for me its worth the 30$ now and then, as much as the 50$ now and then buying a game i like. Games from a customer pov are not expensive anyway. A movie at the cinama for 2 hours entertainment 15$. Game for 50+ hours of entertainment for 50$. Thats all good. Games for 8hours of entertainment for 50$ are rather borderline, and i feel sometimes cheated.. even if it is still cheaper than the cinema.

And if i dont get a game because he actually should die, i will not cry a tear about that money, but maybe about that we lost a good game designer.

Edit: And about money and that game: I might actually buy a new joystick for a few hundred bugs just for that game. And that of course is my choice, too. ;)

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    So now they don't even have to make the game, right? They already made all their money.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Every time you spend your buy something, you are voting with your money.

For people to have thrown this much money at something no major studio would go near says something.

Originally posted by Apraxis

It is ok. It is your choice. And mine was to fund it. And i am ok with that.

And i will fund not just that, even more any project i think it is worth funding. If i think the developer have enough credibility for me, and the project has enough value for being developed. It is a choice to encourage specific developments, i wouldnt get

a) that fast

b) that particular type of game

c) not at all

And for me its worth the 30$ now and then, as much as the 50$ now and then buying a game i like. Games from a customer pov are not expensive anyway. A movie at the cinama for 2 hours entertainment 15$. Game for 50+ hours of entertainment for 50$. Thats all good. Games for 8hours of entertainment for 50$ are rather borderline, and i feel sometimes cheated.. even if it is still cheaper than the cinema.

And if i dont get a game because he actually should die, i will not cry a tear about that money, but maybe about that we lost a good game designer.

Edit: And about money and that game: I might actually buy a new joystick for a few hundred bugs just for that game. And that of course is my choice, too. ;)

This actually is great.

You are essentially taking the risk and i potentially have a new game to buy at some point. Thank you! In fact, i would encourage everyone else to support kickstarter (though i would not).

It will only benefit me. The worse case is no game will be produced, and i won't lose money. If a game is produced, i can always NOT buy if the reviews are crap. There is no down-side to me.

Every time you spend your buy something, you are voting with your money.

For people to have thrown this much money at something no major studio would go near says something.

Yeh. It says people will pay money for a promise if a guy has some track record, and weave a beatiful story .. sort of like Madoff.