Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost Shores Recap and Thoughts

SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

Phase One
It was a complete lagfest but it was amusing. Once everyone calmed down and mobs loaded for everybody. We all pretty much had things under control. Phase one ushered in another Savenger Hunt. Which at times was buggy but most people finished it with the help of fixes.

Phase Two
Well lets see the only real way to describe this phase would be. Watching a army roll over a peasant village. With the occassion major mob in the way this phase was rather simple and over fast. As far as I could tell it had no real award beyond opening up the map for our map completions.

Phase Three…

Notice I have no link for that. Knowing me by now you would say hey Silent what happen? Well after a pretty epic long battle with actual good anti zerg AI to deal with. The game then decided to load a Ancient Karka cinema which crashed everyone in the zone.

Which upon us returning into the game pushed us into totally different overflow servers. That pretty much screwed me out of recording the end of the fight. And out of the loot at the end as well. Not only that but it corrupted the video i was already recording because it made fraps crash. So basically I ended up losing the entire encounter.

Yea…..A-net a word of advice to the event team DONT make 500+ connections on a server load a cut scene at the sametime. No server on this planet can handle that many concurrent connections all loading. And stay online with base server functions.

The fractals Im enjoying and in the process of filming they seem to not fail at server programming so I’ll get them all out fast. Fractal One, Fractal Two

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

My recap:

16th: Got to the point where I had to speak with Noll.  ANet despawned him due to an exploit.  I waited a bit and said "screw this event"

17th: Didn't bother logging in

18th: logged in after supper to find the event was over.

ANet needs to implement zoning technology to allow completion at various times.  They also need properly test their "events".

I don't care about GW2 loot.  And so spending resources on one time events that don't deliver is just a waste.  They'd be better off making permanent content.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    P1: was buggy and could not get anything done.

P2: Had a blast running around with masses of players killing stuff. Mobs had unique tells that were fun to learn and even with masses of players was a challenge.

P3: This is where I got really ticked. From USA servers to EU the event was held CST. That ticked me off. My wife and i didn't get to go and after hearing about the rewards its a real slap in the face. If this is how ANet plans on rolling out events my wife and I will be looking for a new MMO.

In short P2 was fun but over all it felt like a let down and I feel left out. Like my 250 bucks I have spent on their game means nothing to them. What will change my mind? ANet response to the overwhelming number of upset fans.
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Silentstorm

Phase One
    It was a complete lagfest but it was amusing. Once everyone calmed down and mobs loaded for everybody. We all pretty much had things under control. Phase one ushered in another Savenger Hunt. Which at times was buggy but most people finished it with the help of fixes.

Really? For most people, one event chain was too bugged to complete and was then removed from the game, rather than being fixed, when the second phase rolled around. The main event chain was also broken, but at least they did fix those bugs and managed to extend the time to complete them for the duration of phase two. The kick off event was overloaded with serious server lag, with auto-attacks going off at about 25% the normal rate and most other skills not responding at all. It was a complete mess and phase one was only partially fixed in time for phase two.

Phase Two
    Well lets see the only real way to describe this phase would be. Watching a army roll over a peasant village. With the occassion major mob in the way this phase was rather simple and over fast. As far as I could tell it had no real award beyond opening up the map for our map completions.

As big a lag fest as part one, but somehow, contrary to the story line where the forces of good have now discovered a way to overcome the enemy's thick armor, phase two was about ten times as deadly, with players dropping like flies. Bad.

Phase Three…

Notice I have no link for that. Knowing me by now you would say hey Silent what happen? Well after a pretty epic long battle with actual good anti zerg AI to deal with. The game then decided to load a Ancient Karka cinema which crashed everyone in the zone.

Which upon us returning into the game pushed us into totally different overflow servers. That pretty much screwed me out of recording the end of the fight. And out of the loot at the end as well. Not only that but it corrupted the video i was already recording because it made fraps crash. So basically I ended up losing the entire encounter.

Yea…..A-net a word of advice to the event team DONT make 500+ connections on a server load a cut scene at the sametime. No server on this planet can handle that many concurrent connections all loading. And stay online with base server functions.

Ok. I managed to enjoy phase three, even though it was too long by a factor of three, had periods of massive server lag and was almost as poorly designed as the rest of the event. The foundation for a cool series of events was there, only to be ruined by the decision to drag the damn thing out for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. It was made worse because the kill contribution system was not adjusted for zerg levels of player participation, meaning that most people got zero XP or Loot for maybe 95% of all the Karka kills they participated in!

The fractals Im enjoying and in the process of filming they seem to not fail at server programming so I’ll get them all out fast. Fractal One, Fractal Two

I've heard Fractals of the Mist is pretty excellent. Once they fix the bugs with disconnected players not being able to return to the dungeon instance and the places where a player could die out of reach of revival and have no way of returning to play unless the entire party wipes, I will be very anxious to join in the fun!

The entire event was a clinic on how NOT to design and run a live event. F- would be too kind when evaluating the actual event. D+ on over all design. Some elements, sans bugs, may have rated a B+, but too much of the design was just sub-par. GW2 is an awesome game, but this event did nothing but tarnish an otherwise great product.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    P1: The time of the first event on Friday was not good. MOST people are working or in school during the day. The after event NPC's were buggy and I could not get any further into the story. Noll was NULL and VOID. I could barely get to a live mob on Kessix Hills or in Caledon Forest. When I did get there and it was working I was too late. Saw dead Karka. Wow :-(

P2: A grindfest but had a blast running around with masses of players killing stuff on the island. A bit of lag, but the masses of players was a challenge. Had fun! Was hoping for MORE the next day.

P3: Lag.. lag... lag. Just a grindfest, not very imaginative, same stuff as P2. The time on Sunday was good though.  I didn't play through the whole event cuz I got bored with the same mobs over and over again. Did I mention the lag and mob mentality didn't help. Too many peeps in one place. I didn't finish the event cuz it was repetitive and boring but after hearing about the rewards it saddens me. To endure all that and get good rewards was not enough for me.  I'm still disappointed. I consider this a practice run, hope it gets more imaginative and exciting in the future. If this is how ANet plans on rolling out events from now on then I won't do the live events. I loved the Halloween event and look forward to the X-mas event.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Phase 1 was good, except the scavenger hunt part.  The latter half was too buggy for too many people.

Phase 2 was too short, because everything was zerged, with no challenge.

Phase 3 was too long, but only because we had to kill the same mobs for 2-3 hours.  More variety would've been better, instead of just Karka.

The fractal dungeons are really nice though.

Overall, this event was a step back compared to the Mad King event.

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126
    I love the fractals they aren't too hard and the gear drops is good for selling.
  • MadamefateMadamefate Member Posts: 171
    My recap is my pc couldn't handle all of that lag. I did work myself to the end of the phase 3 and got 2 precursors. I admit I barely did anything with all the lag. Maybe people like me was spared the DC because we couldn't load it to begin with?
  • NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364
    Originally posted by Madamefate
    My recap is my pc couldn't handle all of that lag. I did work myself to the end of the phase 3 and got 2 precursors. I admit I barely did anything with all the lag. Maybe people like me was spared the DC because we couldn't load it to begin with?

Alot of the lag was server side. I have a v.good pc, and I went from Ultra settings to best performance settings with no real change detactable in the lag department.

I was only un happy with the third stage of the event, because I was disconnected when the ancient karka was at 35%ish, and when I got back in (I dodged the login wall) I was in an overflow where the fight was done and over already. It was almost a 3 hour run for me just to get disconnected, and I missed out on the rewards. I wanted to see it die and I kinda felt like it had been a huge waste of time, the way it played out for me - I couldnt go and look for another overflow to do the event in again because it was already 3 in the morning and I had work monday. 

Overall I too felt it was a step back for Arenanet, but mainly due to their server not being capable of handling the loads - and their decission to make this event coupled with a trial weekend so the loads were even more severe.

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126
    That is exactly what happen to me and I was recording it. I posted that on the official forums guess what happen to the post? It got removed and the moderator claimed it was off topic. I cursed them out in support and got a email yesterday saying they were sorry. No disrespect was intended towards me and thanks for being a continued community contributer.....
  • sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Phase 3, crashed due to sound bug that happens during Swamp Behemoth event as well, has been mentioned lots and totally without acknowledgement let alone fix. Trying to log back on, login server overloaded. 

GW2 is a fun enough but low budget game with a company that just can't handle the customer relations on this scale. It will end as the first GW, big with a few fans but ultimately slowly dying as fewer and fewer people buy the expansions that the game needs to keep running.

Areanet and NCSoft have been here before, they launch pretend tripple A tititles but can't deliver and they then die before their time. Not because they are absolutely horrible but just to often annoying to continue.

I had fun during the lost shores event but a stupid sound crash and so far nothing more then a "we will look into it but not do anything so wehope you forget about it" kinda puts me off.

the game is free to me now so I will continue for a while but essentially, with every played hour, their profits go down. They need me to buy gold or an expansion and I won't. Not for this.

B2P might be popular with the punters but it is very risky for a company, you better have me feeling positive about the game next time you want me to draw my wallet.