Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Silence of the Lambs: Manifestos Death

ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

It has begun...

The fanboys say its all cool nothing is going on.

The drama queens start the shedding of the tears and the opera recitals.

I just love this game. Been a long time supporter. PLaying it and hope to continue to play, but something is stirring at a far alright.

It has begun.

This, if it goes on as rumoured, will be the undertaking and final journey of that hero, that bold and brave figure, always willing to go where no game has gone before, that hero "Manifesto" will soon meet his nemesis, "Mr. Old Formulae" and his terrible minions "mr. gear treadmill" and "mrs. dungeon gaping"...will he survive?

I cant believe that the same team that brought us the quality and assurance of GW Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall and EotN will sucumbe to the pressure of the moaning squad of this terrible generation of players, where eveything seems to be about geting the next tier of gear, the next cute little colorful pair of bits and bytes, to devour everything that is vertical in the game and forget about the pure joy of gaming.

im going to quickly translate a simple chat i add with a game friend recently, skipping some boring stuff:

Me: "I heard about this Ascended Gear thingy coming(...) dont understand. 3 months of life and already adding content"

Him: "Great. Theres nothing to do already. Need new stuff. New gear, new dungeon(...)"

Me: "Nothing to do? You finsihed the game already?"

Him: "The story yes"

Me: "well ok and all the maps?(...) done all meta events? theres some cool stuff out there"

Him: "Meta what?...yeah ive done the dragon and stuff."

Me: So you havent played all the maps, you havent done almost any meta events (they r around 50 i think)..so what have you done?"

Him: "Yeah lol WvW and stuff (...) got my gear in TA cant be bothered to do others. Its the same thing(...)"

Me: "Those dungeons are part of the games lore. they r fun to do. and some skins r great to have also"

Him: "Nah seen everything theres to see. Games lore what? lol dont care about that.(...) gonna do new dungeons and stuff. cool loot they say(...) ppl dont bother to go do old dungeons now(...)know a site with list of the new dungeon loot?(...)hey been here all day im at lvl 6 in the fotm dungeon :)(...)im bored gonna log. playing a bit in ---- now (...)

Me: "sigh"

So this guy knows nothing of the games lore. He barely does any WvW or SPvP. He grinded the same dungeon over and over until he got his set and doesnt want to do the others because its "the same". He barely has the patience to stop at a given spot an admire the artwork, he doesnt listen to the games soundtrack. He rushes the game pace, devours 20% of the content and says "theres nothing to do". So he now devours the FotMs dungeons, grinding it away, moaning about the drops, ignorant to everything that this game has to offer, and its in the hands of people like this that i have to bow to in order to get a populated game???

I even commented that i was worried about this kind of progression creating ghost areas and dungeons, as it happens in every game with vertical progression, and the reply had words like "gear score", "LFG Queue system" yeah so players can sit their behinds all day in Lions Arch and Queue for every content in the game....what is going on??

So, the hero "manifesto" has its hands full. And it is not looking good.

Lets remind all of the "manifestos" powers and abilities. He does not have adamantium claws but he has:

“GW2 takes everything you love about GW1” – M. O’Brien

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson

“The most important thing in any game should be the player” – R. Soesbee

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien, President of Anet

“We don’t need to make gear treadmills”
Colin Johanson on how ArenaNet measures success.

Can it be enough to destroy the ignorance of foul creatures and deeds?

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

i never understand why people are always after the next bit of gear..when i play an mmo..i barely touch that stuff..i stay behind end game all the time..has for not doing lore and such..i am like that..not everyone is into things that deep.if they do make gw2 a gear treadmil just watch how many peeps leave..i would have thought most would be happy the way the game is.

but you can also please both sides as well.nothing to stop them doin gear grinders for those that want it and stuff that balances for you guys.i,m no expert but there has to be some give and take to  try to keep everyone happy.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Nexon on board.

That is exactly their model - harcores grind, casuals either are left behind or spend in the cash shop.

NCSoft won't exactly oppose.

I'll be playing, but my support with cash dried - if €125 (box price + €50 gems) in less than 3 months isn't enough for them to keep the game in line with the original filosophy, well good luck.

The €500 I spent in GW1 appear to have been a better investment even though GW2 is a much better PvE game.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Personally, I never cared for the lore (what lore?) in either game.  Just seemed very generic and uninteresting to me.

I still play but I am in it just for the 1-80 PVE stuff.

Edit: I don't know what else to say, but the game lacks in real content for many people.  Sure, there is exploration but not everyone is interested in that.   A lot of people have already voiced a desire for more character progression in the game.  I think most meant for 1-80.  They are now interpreting this as meaning end-game gear treadmill or something quite similar.  In the end, ANET and/or NCSOFT is obviously not happy with the population numbers of the diehard GW2 fans....so they are changing to grab more people. Businesses do this all the time.  It's nothing personal.   Just business.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by grimal

Personally, I never cared for the lore (what lore?) in either game.  Just seemed very generic and uninteresting to me.

There is plenty of lore - more than Rift or WoW for that matter. You actually have to listen to the NPC's to understand that.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Lore - GW1

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lore - GW2 (which includes GW1 hence we wouldn't have the Sylvari race).

Hence why the Personal Story is important - it gives you a sense that you are helping to determine what is happening in the world.

Another whine thread - Mods can we just close this one or merge it with the others? We don't need the same people posting the same stuff in all the threads.

Originally posted by botrytis

There is plenty of lore - more than Rift or WoW for that matter. You actually have to listen to the NPC's to understand that.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lore - GW2 (which includes GW1 hence we wouldn't have the Sylvari race).

Hence why the Personal Story is important - it gives you a sense that you are helping to determine what is happening in the world.

Another whine thread - Mods can we just close this one or merge it with the others? We don't need the same people posting the same stuff in all the threads.

I know, I know.  It's all over the place.  I was exaggerating.  The point is, the lore is so uninteresting to me is that it might as well be nonexistent.

Never cared for the lore in WoW or Rift either.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

I don't think anyone said there wasn't Lore...but the Lore is VERY Generic fantasy...it's really bad.  I believe that my 7 year old son could have probably written better stories.  

I'll never get it though.  I can't even log into the game (yes I give up on trying to get to endgame)....the game is really generic. But, to each his/her own.  Im glad some can extract enjoyment from such a dry and lifeless game.  

Originally posted by Randayn

I don't think anyone said there wasn't Lore...but the Lore is VERY Generic fantasy...it's really bad.  I believe that my 7 year old son could have probably written better stories.  

I'll never get it though.  I can't even log into the game (yes I give up on trying to get to endgame)....the game is really generic. But, to each his/her own.  Im glad some can extract enjoyment from such a dry and lifeless game.  

I thought the same of EVE, Vanguard, WoW, Rift, TSW, etc - I played a bunch - all are lifeless. All had boring lore then along  with the GW universe (based on your opinion).  The GW books were decent and helped to forward things along or don't you like books?

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

People play the same mmo multiple ways. If one way hurts another way, thats not the player's fault, thats bad game design. Difference of preference and playstyle is not a fault, its human nature. If developers want more than one demographic, then it is up to them to make their game appealing to many demographics. Its not the players duty change their gaming preferences in order to accomodate the developers.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

Op I agree with everything your saying but our time in the genre is just that time to everyone else well alot of players the only thing they want is whats next whats the next big thing in the game. Wheres the fat loot and so forth but they dont understand what GW2 is it is not a casual gamers dream because they rushed to end game and got end game gear they missed 90% of what the game is and should be about is ADVENTURE, EXPLOREATION, LEARNING THE HISTORY AND EVENTS THAT BROUGHT FORTH THE DRAGONS, and STORY then comes everything else gear, stats, character progression show me it in any other games and I will tell you theres no reason for what those games offer go to there forums and follow the best build for your class and boom done. In GW2 I am a Mesmer that can do all the jobs of one class and do it good I am not set to one role I have my gear set to do all the roles so that way I am viable no matter the reason and I did not have to have 9 sets of gear just one.

Most players today have this mind set that there is only one thing to do at end game and thats run the last instance in the game to get the final gear. So they rush to end game cause everything to get there is pretty much just that a way to get to max lvl then its hurry up to get the best gear for dungeons/raids and pvp then its sit and wait for the next dungeon/raid and pvp gear to get never just seeing the world finding every nook and cranny and seeing what the game world has to offer. Thats why I have said why waste time making a world when the world is not important just make a town and then dungeons and raids add one of each type a month and these players are set dont have levels just a thing that unlocks new skills every so often and a point system with a strait line path for best build and gear that each dungeon and raid get higher stats and done there the best mmo in history.

So to me I was excited for GW2 and will continue to play it as I have been but if the game becomes anymore of a gear grind I will most likely move on to something else or I might just go back to old Pen and Paper D&D and play it at least then it will just be having fun with friends.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

I thought the same of EVE, Vanguard, WoW, Rift, TSW, etc - I played a bunch - all are lifeless. All had boring lore then along  with the GW universe (based on your opinion).  The GW books were decent and helped to forward things along or don't you like books?

Are the books well written fantasy?  Or are they subpar and more catered to GW fans?

I have no problem reading a good fantasy novel.  But most novels based on a videogame haven't been very good.

For me, GW2 had the same quality lore as Vanguard....paint by numbers fantasy.  Utterly boring.  Hence, the personal story becomes more of a detriment to my gameplay than anything else. 

Originally posted by Foomerang

People play the same mmo multiple ways. If one way hurts another way, thats not the player's fault, thats bad game design. Difference of preference and playstyle is not a fault, its human nature. If developers want more than one demographic, then it is up to them to make their game appealing to many demographics. Its not the players duty change their gaming preferences in order to accomodate the developers.

It is not the developers either - they built a game in a certain way using certain design criteria. Don't like it - dont play it. But, this constant gnashing of teeth about it is extraordinary.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

As opposed to the dry and lifeless lore in almost every other game out there: EQ2, Vanguard, AoC, rift, wow, ryzom, lineage, daoc, ao, etc, etc.  Even Turbine's version of LotRO feels pretty generic and certainly not epic like the sweeping adventure in the novels.

Here, let's sum up the lore of all the games and get it over with.  We're the "good guys" from a whole self-preservation standpoint.  Everything else is worthy of genocide, and even the good guy are if we can get away with killing and looting them.  The tldr version is kill and loot.  The rest (lore) is just a different skin on the same old thing.

Well, the difference is....no one quitting any of those other games has people flocking to it's defense saying "well, did you explore all the lore?"

The OP, correct me if I'm wrong, brought that up in his conversation to his friend.

not only do I love books, but I also have a hobby where I write short stories.  My favorite books:  1984, Brave New World, Atlas Shrugged, Farhenheit 451, Animal Farm, We, Anthem, any book where a libertian minded author explains their philosophy (that list goes on forever), The Law....there are probably more, but those are the ones off the top of my head.  

TSW actually presents its story very well and the lore is tightly written.  WoW, Rift, Vanguard and others are really bad....but then again, they didnt bother attempting a personal story cuz they knew they'd fail...ANet didnt get the memo

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Foomerang People play the same mmo multiple ways. If one way hurts another way, thats not the player's fault, thats bad game design. Difference of preference and playstyle is not a fault, its human nature. If developers want more than one demographic, then it is up to them to make their game appealing to many demographics. Its not the players duty change their gaming preferences in order to accomodate the developers.
    It is not the developers either - they built a game in a certain way using certain design criteria. Don't like it - dont play it. But, this constant gnashing of teeth about it is extraordinary.

I agree that this backlash is extraordinary. People were sold on an idea with this game. Anet sold this game as an answer to a problem. If you deviate from that promise even a fraction of a hair, shit will hit the fan.
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    I agree with what the OP says however, it is the only avenue they have left because they made a featureless MMO with little content and poor actual gameplay and punished the players to prevent botting in a system that required grinding. What did they think would happen?
  • SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

I keep saying this over and over it's a company first. That needs to make money if a idea isn't working or not profitable. Stock holders don't care about whining forum posts. They want a product to produce and that's it. The game hasn't deviated from its core principals. All it did was give all of 80's something to do and a small carrot to go after. If half you whiners even went into fractals and made a piece of gear from it you'd know that.

All your doing is following other sky is falling idiot trolls. With no bases or proof of what your even disliking. I'm going to shut all oft this bitchfesting down in the coming days. As i go through all the fractals post the gear etc. All the whining is about to get owned because you don't know what your talking about.

not only do I love books, but I also have a hobby where I write short stories.  My favorite books:  1984, Brave New World, Atlas Shrugged, Farhenheit 451, Animal Farm, We, Anthem, any book where a libertian minded author explains their philosophy (that list goes on forever), The Law....there are probably more, but those are the ones off the top of my head.  

TSW actually presents its story very well and the lore is tightly written.  WoW, Rift, Vanguard and others are really bad....but then again, they didnt bother attempting a personal story cuz they knew they'd fail...ANet didnt get the memo

TSW - really? I felt the lore was second to the game play. There was no lore at all.

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353
    I must say, these doomsayers' titles are getting quite unique.

Eat me!

TSW - really? I felt the lore was second to the game play. There was no lore at all.

Well, i guess you don't read much?  Each set of lore had a mini story that you could read if you wanted to.  Also, the quests were very much so driven by the lore you could have read.

Originally posted by CookieTime

Once you read in - all the threads are the same - DOOM AND GLOOM!!!

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Anyone have a cliff notes version?  I ain't reading all of that.
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Well, i guess you don't read much?  Each set of lore had a mini story that you could read if you wanted to.  Also, the quests were very much so driven by the lore you could have read.

Which again, isn't any different that GW2, LotRO, STO, WoW, EQ2, rift, and so on.  They all have text driven story telling that could be read and engaged with by the player.  How is it so much different for TSW than it is for every other game on the market.  It isn't.

I could put "The Devil Wears Prada" and "The Fountainhead" in the same book cover and present them exactly the same...Does that make what's inside the same as well?

I read alot - I even took a course in undergrad on King Arthur and the Round Table.

Same with GW2, the lore is there if you cared to read it.

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353
    Originally posted by CookieTime

Once you read in - all the threads are the same - DOOM AND GLOOM!!!

Yeah.. pretty much.

Eat me!

I read alot - I even took a course in undergrad on King Arthur and the Round Table.

Same with GW2, the lore is there if you cared to read it.

I read and listened...most of it was empty hollow and predictable...the other parts were only humorous because they didnt make sense or contradicted other parts.

This discussion has been closed.