Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which is the most annoying type of player in a sandbox mmo?

maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511
A poll.

Comments

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

You made me choose between griefer's and carebears....  So I chose Exploiter. 

You forgot: Failed Economics majors who want to draw everything into a graph.

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

That is the beauty of a sandbox. Every single option is a valid playstyle. You AREN'T expected to play in a specific path or style in a sandbox. A player killer, griefer, thief or passifist are all valid play styles in a true and great game. It only means the sandbox was successful in capturing real world concepts.

The only option for me would be those who complain about play style outside of the game (ie. forums) and then take the argument into the game. If you bitch endlessly about how others play in a balanced sandbox you may as well consider playing another game. Sadly true exploits exist but very often it is little more about personal complaints than legitimate game concerns. If so those can be discussed calmly and constructively.

I've met both crazy and unballanced players in mmos who both act like arses through character and through out of character chat or voice. I have no patience for those players. I have also met players who griefed the hell out of me (ei. player killed me when I was far weaker than them) and later discovered them to be actually quite normal and friendly people outside of the game. I truly do not mind those players if they prove to me they are mature enough to leave playstyle strickly within the game.

One example of this was in Wow where I had a Shaman as my first character upon release. I rarely level fast so I ran into a NE hunter with the white tiger pet (every damn hunter had back then) several levels above me (yet still prior to cap ... I hit cap in a month but others did it under 2 weeks) who I got into a rivalry with. Granted I was wasted many times being 10 levels below her but as I closed in level we has some amazing battles chasing each other around open world through multiple zones at times. Later I entered the same guild as this player and it turns out he was a decent and fun individual who just so happened to be a cut throat pvp'r. Perfectly fine with me but if an asshat outside the game too I would have had a very negative view of the player.

Player need to understand the need to check their ego at the door before playing with other folks.

You stay sassy!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

The exploiter. The rest are often just playing the game as intended.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I vote for griefers. They are the reason why sandbox pvp oriented games stay niche and never take off. The griefers piss people off, even those who enjoy pvp don't enjoy being endlessly griefed. So they learn to stay away and eventually just prefer the safety of themeparks.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Rusque
    I vote for griefers. They are the reason why sandbox pvp oriented games stay niche and never take off. The griefers piss people off, even those who enjoy pvp don't enjoy being endlessly griefed. So they learn to stay away and eventually just prefer the safety of themeparks.

That is more to do with too much freedom and too little consequences. A sandbox game can never truly be a sandbox in reality. Perhaps perma-death and real world, harse penalities could be enforced but few would play that sort of game. For each and every convenience added to the game (and resurrection is simply that) there has be a restriction placed. Few understand this.

Griefers want total freedom yet also want little consequence. In real life in a real society (which these games are trying to create) you can be killed, injured, fined, have property taken away or locked away for breaking laws. Griefers simply cannot handle these restrictions which would be a balanced response to their transgressions anywhere in a real society out side of the game. In game they would simply respond by quitting. Social institutions are sustained systems once a society is establised and function as some point effectively autonomously so therefore they should also be even within a sandbox once extablished. This means for every freedom allowed there will ultimately be a system of enforcement that is player influenced but more or less automated. There of course also needs to be far more benefits to play the game in other ways but not the only option (I love games that allow crime as a valid game play option).

If you murder someone and are caught you have zero influence on what will happen to you in a civilized society. You knew the risk before doing it. A sandbox also have to have such penalties to preserve to grief in the first place. It is the lack of reward for making social groups within the game that upsets people. The sandbox should allow a player an option to grief but now allow a griefer to play the game for long.

You stay sassy!

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Tamanous

That is the beauty of a sandbox. Every single option is a valid playstyle. You AREN'T expected to play in a specific path or style in a sandbox. A player killer, griefer, thief or passifist are all valid play styles in a true and great game. It only means the sandbox was successful in capturing real world concepts.

Well not every.   Exploiter as in exploiting game not players is not valid playstyle.   Botther in most is not also. (with few sandboxesexceptions). 

Griefer is depending on game rules.  Even though it is sandbox it still have rules.  So some types of griefing are usually allowed and some other do not.

Still I agree that much more playstyles are valid. Even some of those that are bugging others.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

The only players who bothered me in SWG back in the day were the beggars in cities.  These tools were standing 20 feet from a mission terminal, yet they would beg for money.  

I gave money and items to many new players who came into the game and wanted me to take them on their first adventures, just as someone did for me on my first days in the game.  They didn't ask for it, but I gave it to them anyway.

Also, it would be another thing if someone was roleplaying a beggar and made an interesting character out of it, but the people I'm talking about were just lazy.  

No doubt future themepark players...  hhahah!

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

I voted for the whiner. The type of player in a sandbox game who just can't adapt to not having his hand held going from point A to point B. And who asks in confusion "what am I supposed to do?". When he has a whole world of options right before him.

"Yes, but what is best? How do I win?"

It's a game dude, not a virtual movie. The decisions are yours to make. That's the whole point. And how about asking yourself what activity you might find fun, rather than worrying about entering some pointless online pissing contest. Because when you have fun, that IS winning!

But they just can't understand.

• CrydexCrydex Member CommonPosts: 23

There were only two actual choices in this poll. 

Choice 1)Those who  play the game legitly.  

Choice 2) Those who use cheats/exploits.

• hcosminhcosmin Member Posts: 45

Griefer definetly. They're the reason we can't have nice things (more mainstream sandbox MMOs).

Sadly because of internet anonimity and the ability to control and create multiple characters and accounts sandbox MMOs suffer in genral from a complete lack of accountability and it being far easier to destroy than to build.

In fact PvP isn't really necessarily a sandbox element at all. Character progression and affecting other characters is a common element to all MMOs and the fact that one game has harsher death penalties and another lesser ones doesn't make one sandbox and the other thempark.

What a sandbox means is a game where the player can change the world in a persistent way. The main point of real world sandboxes is building sandcastles not kicking other kids in the face.

• CreepProphetCreepProphet Member Posts: 104

Can I vote for an addition to that one? My biggest beef are the people who step into a sandbox and start comparing it to WoW.

Any other themepark game, yeah it's still anoying but yeah they're comparing apples with apples. But seriously, in a Sandbox?

Does anyone else feel this or is it just me?

• CreepProphetCreepProphet Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by hcosmin

What a sandbox means is a game where the player can change the world in a persistent way. The main point of real world sandboxes is building sandcastles not kicking other kids in the face.

But you have to admit that sometimes hitting the really annoying kid over the head with the shovel IS pretty fun. Just saying.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

those running around all day like "BAM! i play sandbox! WATCH ME! HEEEERE! SANDBOX PLAYER! MEEEE!"

so, elitists i guess :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Thane

those running around all day like "BAM! i play sandbox! WATCH ME! HEEEERE! SANDBOX PLAYER! MEEEE!"

Proselytizers seems to be a popular "other" choice, op.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

The entitled griefer.

The ones that think they are entitled to 100% freedom to ruin someones day while the players that dont want any part of that action are either forced to get protection or be locked up in 5% of the game world like prisoners in a camp.

I've have arguments with these guys for hours that think this is perfectly ok...

They are the kryptonite of the sandbox sub-genre and most don't realize it.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by hcosmin

Griefer definetly. They're the reason we can't have nice things (more mainstream sandbox MMOs).

Sadly because of internet anonimity and the ability to control and create multiple characters and accounts sandbox MMOs suffer in genral from a complete lack of accountability and it being far easier to destroy than to build.

In fact PvP isn't really necessarily a sandbox element at all. Character progression and affecting other characters is a common element to all MMOs and the fact that one game has harsher death penalties and another lesser ones doesn't make one sandbox and the other thempark.

This....Although I would put the cheater/hacker/exploiter/bot as a very close 2nd but only because generally games DO deal with this problem.

Griefers destroy the game by simply not being bright enough to understand the results of their actions. They are a cancer that will destroy until the game dies , then complain that there is no one around...

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

The person who's name is "LOLcano", "Legolazz", or "Gankenstein".

The person who complains that there is toomuch time being sunk into player housing, social tools, and the fact that he or she can't go right to the AH.

Kids...

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    It has to be the Trader/Crafter, spamming chat with shit to sell/buy as if there is no tomorrow

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

The PVP sandbox griefer, is most commonly a 13-year-old who got kicked off PSN or Xbox Live for profanity or sexual harrassment, and now decides to spend his time griefing new players, destroying the very own game he loves, on the official forums he doesn't refer to himself as a griefer, he was just being l33t and "pwning noobs", he refers to everyone who isn't up for being harassed by a little kid as a "carebear".

On another note, he can't seem to wrap his head around the fact his game keeps losing players, the idea that his behavior is related to the success of the game he plays hasn't and probably never will, get through to him.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

To me - and I play only sandbox games - it's the competitive player.

I just don't like them in my sandbox games. There is a virtual world, and the competitive player only cares for one thing: to win - as if one could "win" a world. Everything else follows from that competitive spirit:

- If macroing will help to "win" they'll do it.

- If having bots helps to "win" they'll do it.

- If you can use an alt to spy on enemies they'll do it.

- If you can use an alt to circumvent game mechanics (for example a reputation system) they'll do it.

- If cheating/exploiting helps to "win" they'll do it.

- If grieving helps to get a better "killcount" they'll do it.

With my apologies to all the competitive players around - and there are plenty: I don't like you in my sandbox games.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

The PVP sandbox griefer, is most commonly a 13-year-old who got kicked off PSN or Xbox Live for profanity or sexual harrassment, and now decides to spend his time griefing new players, destroying the very own game he loves, on the official forums he doesn't refer to himself as a griefer, he was just being l33t and "pwning noobs", he refers to everyone who isn't up for being harassed by a little kid as a "carebear".

On another note, he can't seem to wrap his head around the fact his game keeps losing players, the idea that his behavior is related to the success of the game he plays hasn't and probably never will, get through to him.

This sounds much more like the battle grounds and arenas in theme park and lobby games than any sandbox game I've ever played.

Which game did you have in mind?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

This is an easy one:

1. The cheater

2. the griefer

These two have ruined so many sandbox type games it isnt even funny...Both are the reason why a sandbox will never have much commercial success and the games will always be niche.....

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    This poll is herp derp considering there are different player types (Killer, Explorer, Achiever, Socializer) and you are going to get responses based on what people are most aligned to. Killers hate explorers who dont care if they die just spawn and keep running, socializers hate killers because they are dicks according to them etc.
  • AesowhreapAesowhreap Member Posts: 78
    I just hate people who don't respond.

Best Regards, ...

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

I chose: The Whiner 

Mainly becaues its these idiots end up causing the developers to make sweeping changes to the game. 

Also I hope people that chose The Griefer, understand what griefing means... Griefing =/= PvP

Griefing is found in PvE just as abundantly as it is in PvP. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo