Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"What if Disney gave YOU the decision to choose the developer of the next Star Wars MMORP...who woul

Comments

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

CCP if wanted a sandbox.

Trion if wanted a themepark.

If they just wanted to make money NOW I would just tell them to stop making shit games and bring back the great series Battlefront, X-wing, Rogue Squad and Jedi Knight.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by DeaconX
    Originally posted by adam_nox I'd grab members from the original city of heroes development team, a couple people from original mythic, blizzard north, bethesda, and maybe bioware too.  It would be a big task to pick the right people and put them in the right places, but I believe it could be done.  I might grab some artists from korea but tell them if they can't learn to model western style I'd feed them to sharks.   BTW, I find the idea of a third star wars mmo interestingly possible now that the third trilogy will be made.  They could definitely fit one in to a different period than either of the first 2.  Let's hope something good comes of this.
    I completely understand and agree, but it made me laugh pretty hard lol.

I would LOVE to see a new MMORPG set after the current saga... all about rebuilding the republic and the Jedi while still fighting off the Imperial Remnant and the dark forces growing in the shadows.

First thing that came to mind when I saw "from Korea" was the artwork of Queen Amidila wearing giant angel wings and slanty shiny armor and Anikin wearing a winged helmet and holding a lightsaber handle with about a hundred different curved spikes sticking out of it. Pretty much the typical artwork of a Korean MMO.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by Kalafax

Assuming Disney funded the project, I would say Verant Interactive Inc, the ones who accualy developed the original SWG's. SOE has always gotten the credit for SWG but they wernt the ones who developed it, they merely supported the online play and then eventually completly took over it, thus the whole them ruining the game thing, cause they thought they could do it without the original developers.

If not them, then I would have to say CCP, again assuming Disney funded the project.

Here is a crazy idea:

Disney buys out SOE! 

People asked if Disney would ever buy Blizzard. I honestly think SOE's IP's line up better for Disney. They would get a development team with mmo experience and some Disney-like IP's. Disney could do wonders with Everquest and pick up what ever slivers are left over from SWG and move forward. Sony is one hurting company anyway and looking to streamline their company. The sharks will be picking at it or at least their scraps they no longer can afford to hold onto.

You stay sassy!

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Jonnas13
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    CCP ~ with their sandbox chops and that sexy WoD engine of theirs... where do I send money?

This was almost a mirst choice... I actually had written a long paragraph to make an argument for CCP and linked this demo for their Carbon character tech: 

I don't play EVE, but follow the company.  I did recently jump into EVE and create a character with their amazing CC.  This character looks a lot like me.  The options for the face were insane.

Great video, BTW.  Thanks for posting it.

Np glad you enjoyed :) and yeah their CC is incredible.  That's what I want my SWMMORPG to look like, not like... well, this:

This game's art style just seems very... lazy.

Eve Online has the ugliest avatar I have ever seen in any game:

https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/Large%20Collidable%20Object

/shudder

LOL! That's hilarious.   Ugly, yes... but by choice, not because the character creation system and graphics suck.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    I'd tell them to give it up. No Star Wars MMO is going to live up to the hype..a frenzy which we create ourselves with our ridiculous expectations. Even if a developer were to give us everything they promised we would take offense that the game lacked all we dreamed up in our heads. Its a lose/lose for the developer.
  • AntharaAnthara Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by jayheld90
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Id give it back  to Bioware.  Id also give them unlimited budget, unlimited time and stay out of their way.

i have to agree with this. the only reason both of them bombed so badly is because Lucas Arts wouldnt keep thier fingers out of it. If Bioware had gotten to do whatever it wanted, it would have been a much greater success. (as well as SWG)

Did you guys ever had a job? Worked with people with great responsabilitys and proud of their work? I think not.

Bioware signed a contract with them, they were aware of their crap. Can't really excuse anyone who signed a contract with a company that said "I want to put my fingers on it".

In worse case, Bioware bosses aren't proud of their jobs so they let anyone put their fingers on their crap.

No one responsible would let their work to be changed, spited on... etc by anyone else. Best they could do was to leave their seats.

I'm not beeing dramatic, I'm beeing completly realistic. That's what SERIOUS people do.

If you guys think the game ended the crap it did cause of EA, you guys are the biggest Bioware fanboys I ever saw.

You sell your soul to the devil and then blame the devil for it.

Not to mention that EA gave them shitloads of money, wich they wouldn't be able to make the game without it.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    I would choose Blizzard Activision...not cioz I tihnk it will be a great game but it would finally push those sandbox and SWG extremists over the edge and their heads would literally explode.Ok maybe that's jsut too cruel.
  • sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249

Ok. Let's use some logic.

Current mmorpgs suck. Let's choose a current mmorpg developer to make an mmorpg. What?

Indie devs and the upcoming industry members are the only hope for future mmorpgs. Current devs are too locked into their ways to try something new.

I've been here a while...
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

The next StarWars title should be developed by the community ^^

That ofcause would mean, Disney may  put StarWars under GPL ... yo, haha :)

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by SoulStain
    I'd tell them to give it up. No Star Wars MMO is going to live up to the hype..a frenzy which we create ourselves with our ridiculous expectations. Even if a developer were to give us everything they promised we would take offense that the game lacked all we dreamed up in our heads. Its a lose/lose for the developer.

Give up on one of the biggest IP ever because a couple of developers failed. Makes sense... SWTOR didn't fail because of the fans, if anything SWTOR's only success was the frenzy of prepurchases from fans of the IP and Bioware.

If anyone can right the ship and give the IP the attention it deserves - it's the gigantic coorporation known as Disney. Like others said, the best thing that could of happened to Starwars and its fans is for a big company that knows what they are doing to purchase the rights.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

Star Wars Galaxies; A Galaxy Reborn!

Sony!

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

I don't think this is true at all.  While I would prefer a sandbox / hybrid approach from a company like CCP who has the balls to make something other than mainstream games, I actually think Trion is a pretty cool company.  If this project had been in their hands, we would have a Star Wars themepark that was a hundred times better than what we have now, and they would add content and update it regularly.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

SOE would ruin it with another cash shop (Mando appearance armor anyone ?)

I would have to go with Trion

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Smoey

Star Wars Galaxies; A Galaxy Reborn!

Sony!

Nah, Sony has only OpenSource on our userdata ...

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well it doesn't really matter totally on the developer,it matters on the freedom of budget.

I would pick myself over anyone ,,haha ya i know whatever.

If i had to choose it would be Square Enix [Tanaka].I pick him becuase he knows how to think an entire game through to the end and do it in a unique way.

All these other developers have shown me they have no concept of thought,they just copy the common design they see in most games.It might be these guys are forced into it,we really do not know what is going on behind closed doors.They will never tell you the whole truth,just what sounds good for PR/marketing.

Forcing a deadline/timeline is the worst thing to do to a game.You need to PLAn the entire design without straying off course and continue it to the end.So many game designs seem half ass and definitely cut short to meet a release deadline.With those kind of restraints ,you get a mediocre game and it doesn't matter who does it.

Square an Tanaka were my choice becuase when he designed FFXI,he planned it out brilliantly,the whole game flowed togther and no deadline.They figured by time it was all done,it would take 5 years to recover the cost.Now a days devs are trying to figure in the development structure ,ways to profit instantly from sales alone,that equates to really cheap game design and the term  .."you get what you pay for".

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316

in the reply to the op, id like to see SOE do it and relaunch a reworked SWG with a new a engine etc, now before all the werid cu/ nrg haters dive on me i would like to point out that those where done under the orders of Lucus who saw wow turn into a money press.

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I'd say Trion would make a good go of it. Even if they didn't do a perfect job, they'd push out fixes and content like no other.
    Originally posted by Zeplini

in the reply to the op, id like to see SOE do it and relaunch a reworked SWG with a new a engine etc, now before all the werid cu/ nrg haters dive on me i would like to point out that those where done under the orders of Lucus who saw wow turn into a money press.

Wrong, and I'm not going to bother explaining why again.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Better chance of winning the lottery, this will never happen.  SW MMO's are done being attempted.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

My vote goes to CD Projekt RED they came from Witcher to the Amazeing witcher 2 and took the PC world by storm.

Also the Dishonored team Arkane studios with their suprise stealth kill smash hit would do a decent job.

And Chris Roberts revealed Silverheart as he was on the live marathon live broadcast,which was a  proto type Assassins creed type game and atm Chris Roberts can do no wrong,and could assemble a team for the Star Wars universe,just imagine the space combat no more space on rails that's for sure. image

p>
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Better chance of winning the lottery, this will never happen.  SW MMO's are done being attempted.

Yeah, that make sense, especially with Disney mapping out like 25 years worth of future Star Wars entertainment....  /rolls eyes.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I'd say Trion is indeed pretty impressive... I think my choice, kind of surprisingly would be....

SOE : Yes, they messed up SWG but I think there were a LOT of lessons learned and quite honestly plenty of people LOVED SWG for what it wanted to be.  The game was far too ambitious for its time and unfortunately, as they were trying to do a lot that hadn't been done, they made a lot of missteps.  Also, it was a call by Lucas camp to 'WoW' up SWG, not SOE.

I do think SOE now is getting the right idea especially based on this article: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/11/future-of-mmo-games/ - they're understanding the importance of emergent gaming.  I think they have the chops to pull off something great (and look forward to what they're going to do with EverQuest Next).

They bring with them a LOT of lessons learned in the industry and I think if Disney decided to back them, they could make something really awesome...

I agree with having SOE  up for it but only if they could place the original development team back. Make a high end sandbox MMORPG, but let them also place lots of themepark elements in it. The masses want themepark, many oldschool'rs want sandbox, the masses are the loudest so do not exclude them.

Or if I may go all out SOE/Bioware/CCP/Trion/........Rockstar??? (all original teams from the time the ..."old" majority felt they rocked)

With current tech and possiblity's that SWG 2.0 must be a hit with a team like that.

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

Give up on one of the biggest IP ever because a couple of developers failed. Makes sense... SWTOR didn't fail because of the fans, if anything SWTOR's only success was the frenzy of prepurchases from fans of the IP and Bioware.

If anyone can right the ship and give the IP the attention it deserves - it's the gigantic coorporation known as Disney. Like others said, the best thing that could of happened to Starwars and its fans is for a big company that knows what they are doing to purchase the rights.

Not sure how you read my post ..but it obvious I believe we failed in having realistic expectations. Games are not as good as we expect because we overhype . I still talk to people who thought SWTOR was going to look like the trailers....seriously. When developers fall short and things aren't fixed immediately...tons of players bail. Which lowers revenue and keeps the problem fixes coming at an even slower pace. Then more people leave. Its an endless cycle.It was Biowares first MMO and most were ready to burn them at the stake a week in. It seems the time we give something  to evolve within a particular mmos development becomes less and less. Idk. I think Star Wars may be best left to single play...or for something like battlefront multi-play style.

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115

My 'dream team' for a Star Wars MMO would like something like this:

- Some of the devs of Star Wars Galaxies, who were responsible for creating the sandbox elements of that game, to add some interesting sandbox elements to the game.

- Timothy Zahn and Drew Karpyshyn for writing a couple of interesting storylines players can follow (but don't need to).

- CD Project RED for graphics and cutscenes of said storyline.

- Bethesda devs that worked on Fallout and/or Elder Scrolls series, for creating a huge open universe, where instead of a huge map with a lot of land area with different locations and dungeons, you have a huge starmap with different planets to explore, with all sorts of interesting stuff you can find. (Planets take the place of the different outposts and dungeons in TES).

- The guys that worked on the DC Universe Online combat system will develop the ground combat system.

- Chris Roberts, for developing the Starship combat and Starship physics.

Not that this is going to happen 'ever'. But it would be interesting to see where these would come up with if they joined forces.

Until this is going to happen I keep my hopes up for The Repopulation and Star Citizen to statisfy my SciFi-MMO needs.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Red 5,  Funcom or Chris Roberts.

Or back to the roots with Sony, no problem with that.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !