Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question on the combat system

HestiaHestia Member UncommonPosts: 119

Hi! My huge push to play an MMO is the combat system. Does anyone know how it goes? If so, please explain in detail.

Comments

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

The combat system for ArcheAge is old school tab-target, it does have a combo system though.

It's extremely similar to Lineage 2. You auto attack for melee when you engage at range and for range attacks you have a hot key so you can spam attacks.

The combat is not what makes ArcheAge shine, it's the skill system and the sandbox endgame.

PVP video

PVE video against a Open world Boss

• HestiaHestia Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Thanks for the info! I'll pass on this game. Have fun to those who are trying it and good luck to the dev team!
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    the game has been in development for ages, and the combat system standards have changed quite a bit..maybe they will adapt to that in the future...?
  • toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Combat means nothing to me. Why because no matter how great, awesome, spectacular, amazing, innovative, perfect, wonderful,etc, etc, etc combat is, it will become, boring, repetative, tedius, grind, etc, etc, etc, over time! Give me content any day. Combat gets old no matter what, content keeps players playing, not combat.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    the game has been in development for ages, and the combat system standards have changed quite a bit..maybe they will adapt to that in the future...?

Don't expect they will change it.  Game is in last stages on development and it is just not possible to make drastic changes, to change it to in example arcade fast paced combat.

AA combat is good enough for me personally.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

i completly disagree toddze - you could bring that argument about EVERY aspect of the game - everything within a limited range of possibilities becomes repetitive after a while - thats the nature of the game...nevertheless, standard mmo combat bores the crapp out of me and regardless of what other humpypumpy features an mmo might have - combat is the main activity for 95% of the players...

besides, the game has an expected release of 2014! in China...therefore i wouldnt expect it earlier here since in china they at least allready have a distributor and the translations...so in all honesty, i think xl is making huge mistakes here with their 500 beta tests and slow expansion - thats just not how the game and especially mmo market works...yes nobody wants a broken game, but even less people want a game that is released several years to late and outdated...even games that started development way after archeage will release earlier - if its being released in 2014 or even 15, it will have to compete with games like everquest next, elder scrolls, darkfall and others...not to talk about black desert online which allready know looks about 3 years ahead of archeage and might get a release around the same time

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Sadly, it's tab-targeting. That's the only real beef I have with the game but it still might keep me away.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    If you don't like the way combat is handled in AA, than just walk away and choose another game, stop being a carebear and try to change everything! This system suits ArcheAge just perfectly, better than a scripted like action type combat with just 8 skills able to be used!

i completly disagree toddze - you could bring that argument about EVERY aspect of the game - everything within a limited range of possibilities becomes repetitive after a while - thats the nature of the game...nevertheless, standard mmo combat bores the crapp out of me and regardless of what other humpypumpy features an mmo might have - combat is the main activity for 95% of the players...

I guess Im one of a kind, because I have yet to find one RPG game in my life which dates back the good ole NES genre that I played for the combat. The only game I have ever played strictly for kombat (hint hint image) was none other than Mortal Kombat. As long is the combat in MMO's is average im good, like I said give me content and game world over combat.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by toddze
    Combat means nothing to me. Why because no matter how great, awesome, spectacular, amazing, innovative, perfect, wonderful,etc, etc, etc combat is, it will become, boring, repetative, tedius, grind, etc, etc, etc, over time! Give me content any day. Combat gets old no matter what, content keeps players playing, not combat.

this all day.

I guess Im one of a kind, because I have yet to find one RPG game in my life which dates back the good ole NES genre that I played for the combat. The only game I have ever played strictly for kombat (hint hint image) was none other than Mortal Kombat. As long is the combat in MMO's is average im good, like I said give me content and game world over combat.

Its come to my attention that those who want this over the top combat are the console crowd looking for MMOs with Street Fighter type combat. They could care less about the content a MMO holds. And thats why games like AA wont appeal to them ( and thats a good thing )

Whats upset me other the years was the influx of these types of gamers that influance devs into thinking that "MMOer" want these types of changes. But the bulk of these people dont even care if its a MMO or a FPS or a 1v1 figher type. Thier not MMOers. There just gamers.

• wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131
    In m opinion I'd say tab targeting is slowly going out of fashion, free aiming, and more FPS/TPS free targeting based MMO's will become the norm over the next few years.
    Originally posted by wireded21
    In m opinion I'd say tab targeting is slowly going out of fashion, free aiming, and more FPS/TPS free targeting based MMO's will become the norm over the next few years.

Well if that does become the "norm" then the genre will be lost on me. Ill be done completely with MMOs. If i want those types of games ill go play a PTS/TPS. It has no place in MMOs.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by fenistil

Don't expect they will change it.  Game is in last stages on development and it is just not possible to make drastic changes, to change it to in example arcade fast paced combat.

AA combat is good enough for me personally.

I agree, I am not a fan of the existing action combat.  Takes away from the core RPG aspects.  This looks to be a new title embracing old (quality) mechanics and I cant wait to try it.   Agreed dont see this title being for everyone.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

Well if that does become the "norm" then the genre will be lost on me. Ill be done completely with MMOs. If i want those types of games ill go play a PTS/TPS. It has no place in MMOs.

Yeah I have never had any issues with the traditional combat systems in MMOs. I prefer them to not be overly twitchy honestly. I used to be way into unreal tournament, if I wanted fast paced twitchy gameplay I'd go back to FPS games.

Any mmo that introduces free targeting fps style combat will not be played by me.

Originally posted by xAPOCx

Well even if it does become the norm, maybe MMO's can get back to becoming MMO's. A real MMO is and has always been a game for a niche group. Its just these online RPG's are starting to take off, but these online RPG's are not MMO's. Real MMO's will come back and co-exist with the online RPG's.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I like content as well but the combat has to be fluid, polished and fun for most people (me included) to get involved in other elements.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Tab-target combat is getting old. While some people seem to think twitch-based combat doesn't belong in MMOs, many others would like to see the genre evolve.

Tab-targeting and button-mashing is far less dynamic and skill based than twitch combat, which makes it feel repetetive and bland - especially when it's been the genre standard for so long.

Just like many new titles evolve away from the tired old class mechanics, level-based progression and gear-grind logic, future MMOs will hopefully leave tab-targeting behind.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    The tab targeting, slower paced combat is one of the few things I like about this game, heh.  In regards to the evovling comment above, twitch combat is not an evolution in game mechanics, it is merely a sidegrade change.  An evolution would be a completely different type of mechanic never before used in gaming.  There is more than enough room in this genre for combat mechanics that appeal to twitchers and non-twitchers.  What I am getting tired of is you twitchers getting pissed that every single frakking game doesn't comply with your demands.

It is an evolution if it changes an existing mechanic in a fundamental way. Tab-targeting has been the standard for over a decade now, which is why a move towards twitch combat would mean the genre evolves.

And twitch combat is not necessarily = faster combat. Just look at Mount n Blade for a great example of slow, realistic twitch combat.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    Sadly, it's tab-targeting. That's the only real beef I have with the game but it still might keep me away.

That and a few others for me but i'm not going to list them here, because I'm not in the mood to getting flamed today.   People dont want to read about "constructive criticism" especially when its directed towards their fav game.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Biskop

It is an evolution if it changes an existing mechanic in a fundamental way. Tab-targeting has been the standard for over a decade now, which is why a move towards twitch combat would mean the genre evolves.

And twitch combat is not necessarily = faster combat. Just look at Mount n Blade for a great example of slow, realistic twitch combat.

Evolving does not mean catering to a specific play style, in this case, twitchiness.  If we went by your standard, then this is not evolved at all since it has already been done  quite a bit  already in games like GW2, Darkfall, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Tera and several other non-triple A MMOs and quite a few upcoming MMOs as well.  The only likely way for combat to evolve in this genre is by adopting things like voice commands or virtual reality input devices.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Bcfido from AA Source made this funny comic strip to demonstrate the differences between AA's endgame and WOW's (and every other themepark).

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Evolving does not mean catering to a specific play style, in this case, twitchiness.  If we went by your standard, then this is not evolved at all since it has already been done  quite a bit  already in games like GW2, Darkfall, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Tera and several other non-triple A MMOs and quite a few upcoming MMOs as well.  The only likely way for combat to evolve in this genre is by adopting things like voice commands or virtual reality input devices.

First of all, no game caters to all playstyles. That you personally dislike a feature or design direction does not mean that said feature or direction doesn't represent an evolution in the genre.

I personally dislike ftp and instanced lobby games, but sadly the genre has evolved in that direction. Now we can see a reaction, where some devs are taking a more open world-approach instead, hopefully succeeding.

As for your second point: yes, several games already have twitch combat, a fact which only strengthens my point - MMOs are evolving and one thing that will change is the archaic tab-target combat.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    As for your second point: yes, several games already have twitch combat, a fact which only strengthens my point - MMOs are evolving and one thing that will change is the archaic tab-target combat.

Its pointless to talk abot it as an "Evolvement" since the playing style excisted way before in the 90', before the MMO's there were single player RPGs with both playing styles, then when MMOs started to appear the target based style games were more common, but there were always many of these twitch games released too (they just didn't get the attention), maybe you just missed them, if fact they always existed.

So i would rather call it a "trend" and not an "evolution" since its nothing new at all.