Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"What if Disney gave YOU the decision to choose the developer of the next Star Wars MMORP...who woul

Comments

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Id give it back  to Bioware.  Id also give them unlimited budget, unlimited time and stay out of their way.

i have to agree with this. the only reason both of them bombed so badly is because Lucas Arts wouldnt keep thier fingers out of it. If Bioware had gotten to do whatever it wanted, it would have been a much greater success. (as well as SWG)

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Id give it back  to Bioware.  Id also give them unlimited budget, unlimited time and stay out of their way.

I'm sorry, but this is a load.  You make it sound like it was all someone else's fault that Bioware made a crappy MMO.  Listen even with Lucas' hand in there to guide the story, Lucas did not design the game play aspects.  You guys are very much mistaken on how much of a hand Lucas and his company have in this.  Bioware must own the fact that they made a lackluster themepark MMO, in a field full of decent themeparks.  Of all the games to come out in the last couple years, this was by far the worst AAA offering.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

To be honest, I don't want to see anymore MMO SW games, it'll just end up the with the same fate as SWG and SWTOR, I wouldn't mind see more Jedi Knight type games again so give it to Raven.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Valve, but it would never happen.

They know a dead horse when they see it.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

I'd probably start up my own company. Seeing as the IP has hit rock bottom in the MMO world. Even a pen & paper MMO would beat SW:TOR. Thinking of Star Wars and MMO makes me think like the politician that lost and said on TV, "Of course the new government is gonna be better, given what was there before, it would be hard to even look bad." And he was right because every dubious mesure or procedure by the government is met with "at least its not as bad as the liberals". 

So the next MMORPG with the Star Wars name on the box will be great! But if I had to chose a developper, Valve would be my first try.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

Originally posted by grimgryphon

Valve, but it would never happen.

They know a dead horse when they see it.

Dead horse?  Disney is about to make Star Wars a household topic again, and in fact they already have by purchasing the IP.  If they make a great Episode VII, it's game on again for the whole franchise.  Tor is not going to be the game that people want to play when these movies come out.  Not without significant changes.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

To be honest, I don't want to see anymore MMO SW games, it'll just end up the with the same fate as SWG and SWTOR, I wouldn't mind see more Jedi Knight type games again so give it to Raven.

A new Jedi Knight would be awesome! Actually let EA apply their Frostbite engine to Jedi Knight!

How epic would that be!

I don't know if you guys are keeping up with all the Star Wars industry talk, but Disney is planning to go nuts with Star Wars, and even talking about doing multiple movies per year that focus on characters, similar to all the super hero movies. 

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I'm sorry, but this is a load.  You make it sound like it was all someone else's fault that Bioware made a crappy MMO.  Listen even with Lucas' hand in there to guide the story, Lucas did not design the game play aspects.  You guys are very much mistaken on how much of a hand Lucas and his company have in this.  Bioware must own the fact that they made a lackluster themepark MMO, in a field full of decent themeparks.  Of all the games to come out in the last couple years, this was by far the worst AAA offering.

^This.

Also, it's my opinion that everyone who things Star Wars can't be a great MMO is incorrect.  It has everything you need for an incredibly rich, deep and vibrant MMORPG just witht he IP.  What it's lacking is the right talent surrounding it to make it happen. It wasn't even lacking money when BioWare had it.

Just needs the right people...

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by ForumPvP
    Valve

Hell, yeah. With the time they have taken to deliver the 3rd episode of thier episodic gaming thingy (aka. Half-Life 2), they should be done with a nice Star Wars MMO somewhere just before the sun goes out...

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    Originally posted by hfztt
    Originally posted by ForumPvP
    Valve

Hell, yeah. With the time they have taken to deliver the 3rd episode of thier episodic gaming thingy (aka. Half-Life 2), they should be done with a nice Star Wars MMO somewhere just before the sun goes out...

lol.. Like giving it to 3D Realms and having them spend a couple lifetimes, and then passing it on to other developers to complete...

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Start from the ground up by cherry-picking competent devs who have a clue and create a new company from there. Bringing in the programmers from pre-cu SWG would be a great start.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Originally posted by Zekiah

Start from the ground up by cherry-picking competent devs who have a clue and create a new company from there. Bringing in the programmers from pre-cu SWG would be a great start.

I'll tell you what.. we should all thank the gaming gods for Kickstarter.  Even though it doesn't always work, there are so many great projects starting to come out of there.  Projects such as The Repopulation, Star Citizen, Greed Monger, etc that would never be made by a large studio these days.  These are the games I am hungry for.  Enough of these McDonalds style mass-marketing game companies already.

I'll tell you what.. we should all thank the gaming gods for Kickstarter.  Even though it doesn't always work, there are so many great projects starting to come out of there.  Projects such as The Repopulation, Star Citizen, Greed Monger, etc that would never be made by a large studio these days.  These are the games I am hungry for.  Enough of these McDonalds style mass-marketing game companies already.

Agreed.

My only beef with the kickstarter program is that it's a gamble and I'm sick of wasting cash on crap titles. However, if I'm going to throw my cash around like an idiot, I suppose kickstarters make me feel a little better about it, esecially considering the craptastic *cough* "AAA" MMO titles recently.

Trash. Pure trash.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

^Once again we are on the same page.

Kickstarter is a beautiful thing and I think the next generation of great games are going to spawn from crowdfunding.  You'll still have your titanic monster mega budget games... but as professionals are rarely treated very well in the industry they will likely gravitate to other, smaller projects that can make use of kickstarter to work on things they're passionate about rather than slaving away to line the pockets of publishers.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I'd grab members from the original city of heroes development team, a couple people from original mythic, blizzard north, bethesda, and maybe bioware too.  It would be a big task to pick the right people and put them in the right places, but I believe it could be done.  I might grab some artists from korea but tell them if they can't learn to model western style I'd feed them to sharks.

BTW, I find the idea of a third star wars mmo interestingly possible now that the third trilogy will be made.  They could definitely fit one in to a different period than either of the first 2.  Let's hope something good comes of this.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

If i was the Star Citizen devs i'd be dropping bricks now.. A: They will never ever be able to live up to the game that fans have built in their mind. B: These fans will set a new record in entitelment. Put these two together and i hope that the poor devs have a good in-house councelor.

I have no doubt it will bea good game... But seeing as a good bunch of people seems to think it is the comming of (insert diety here) they do not really stand a chance.

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by adam_nox

I'd grab members from the original city of heroes development team, a couple people from original mythic, blizzard north, bethesda, and maybe bioware too.  It would be a big task to pick the right people and put them in the right places, but I believe it could be done.  I might grab some artists from korea but tell them if they can't learn to model western style I'd feed them to sharks.

BTW, I find the idea of a third star wars mmo interestingly possible now that the third trilogy will be made.  They could definitely fit one in to a different period than either of the first 2.  Let's hope something good comes of this.

I completely understand and agree, but it made me laugh pretty hard lol.

I would LOVE to see a new MMORPG set after the current saga... all about rebuilding the republic and the Jedi while still fighting off the Imperial Remnant and the dark forces growing in the shadows.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    I say Disney makes it in house. For the life of me I can't see how they can screw it up more than any other company has managed. This is the only way I can see creative license being preservered properly. Aslo Disney is f#cking rabid with it comes to protecting their IP's and I can't see them being able to lose so much control by handing it over to another company ... often ones with not so great track records with mmo's.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by DeaconX

Kickstarter is a beautiful thing and I think the next generation of great games are going to spawn from crowdfunding.  You'll still have your titanic monster mega budget games... but as professionals are rarely treated very well in the industry they will likely gravitate to other, smaller projects that can make use of kickstarter to work on things they're passionate about rather than slaving away to line the pockets of publishers.

@Zekiah ~ I agree about it being a bit of a gamble, but really I don't feel bad about putting money into those projects.  Even if they fail, we are showing the world that there is a market for deeper games, and that market is growing.  I'm not planning to buy any more themeparks from AAA devs, so I'll just put the money there instead.

@DeaconX ~ Great minds think alike.  ;)  I think it's a good thing for the industry and us.  Look at the interesting projects people are working on.  It's almost like the old days before there were big game companies and publishers. Games made by gamers, not corporate suits.  I love hearing about these small groups of devs that are getting together out of pure passion.  And best of all, they want to create niche games, and aren't expecting milliond of players.  Just because of that, one of them might actually grow that big on accident. I'd love to see that.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464

There is no developer out that I'd want to see touch it. Sony's epic failure with SWG goes without saying. Bioware is garbage. They haven't made a good game since Dragon Age: Origins, and their failure with SWTOR was one for the record books. Trion would make a SW mmo that's even more of a WoW clone than SWTOR was.

The thing about Disney that a lot of people aren't grasping is that they own half the world, and half the entertainment industry. They have their own software development companies. They founded a branch in 2008 called "Disney Online Studios" which is dedicated to the development of MMOs. Disney is and has been at the forefront of VR technology development and pioneered the bulk of CGI and motion capture tech as well. If Disney decided to make an MMO they'd probably just make it themselves, and it would probably be of higher quality than most the crap we see. This goes for the films as well. The Disney purchase is the best thing that ever happened to the franchise.

Originally posted by DeaconX

@Zekiah ~ I agree about it being a bit of a gamble, but really I don't feel bad about putting money into those projects.  Even if they fail, we are showing the world that there is a market for deeper games, and that market is growing.  I'm not planning to buy any more themeparks from AAA devs, so I'll just put the money there instead.

@DeaconX ~ Great minds think alike.  ;)  I think it's a good thing for the industry and us.  Look at the interesting projects people are working on.  It's almost like the old days before there were big game companies and publishers. Games made by gamers, not corporate suits.  I love hearing about these small groups of devs that are getting together out of pure passion.  And best of all, they want to create niche games, and aren't expecting milliond of players.  Just because of that, one of them might actually grow that big on accident. I'd love to see that.

I understand your sentiment but I'm tired of being duped, regardless of the package it comes in. I got burned with Xsyon and like you I'd rather have my money go to a small team, I still am sick of wasting cash and being disappointed over and over and over again.

I'm also interested in Greed Monger but I refuse to drop a dime until I see some combat video at the very least. To be honest, I don't trust ANY companies out there. NONE.

But I agree, no more crap-parks for me either.

The entire industry needs an enema if you ask me. image

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Valve.......
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Hand picked team of around 1/3 space simulator talent, 1/3 online FPS talent, and 1/3 MMORPG/RPG talent, if I HAD TO pick the team. In all honesty I dont think Star Wars is a very good setting for a MMORPG. It's too big. You cant create hundreds of planets that are detailed and interesting enough combined with a full blown and rich space simulator on top of that. It's too big.

I'd rather see something like a Mass Effect FPSRPG-MMORPG, you could easily limit the available mass relays through plot, so you could rather create a much more smaller but a lot more detailed playing area of a planet or few, and some space stations + surrounding space.

Preferrably just one well made planet, even that would require a shit ton of work. There could be a plot why most of the races gathered there, maybe a far away mass relay that gets blown to bits after everyone is at the destination to have a backup civilisation if everything goes south. Or summin :)

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

Assuming Disney funded the project, I would say Verant Interactive Inc, the ones who accualy developed the original SWG's. SOE has always gotten the credit for SWG but they wernt the ones who developed it, they merely supported the online play and then eventually completly took over it, thus the whole them ruining the game thing, cause they thought they could do it without the original developers.

If not them, then I would have to say CCP, again assuming Disney funded the project.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest