Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"What if Disney gave YOU the decision to choose the developer of the next Star Wars MMORP...who woul

Comments

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    CCP ~ with their sandbox chops and that sexy WoD engine of theirs... where do I send money?

This was almost a first choice... I actually had written a long paragraph to make an argument for CCP and linked this demo for their Carbon character tech: 

I think I could definitely put my trust in CCP to give it a great go.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Anyone who uses the word "never" to describe anything, is an idiot.

Also, Disney just spent $4 Billion for the rights to this IP.  That was a *huge* investment, so I would guess they will do anything they can to get that money back and then turn it into a cash cow.  We may not see another Star Wars MMO for 5+ years, but we will see another one.

The faster this one goes away, the better, IMO.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• thetimesthetimes Member Posts: 49
    CCP ~ with their sandbox chops and that sexy WoD engine of theirs... where do I send money?

CCP

Originally posted by DeaconX

This was almost a mirst choice... I actually had written a long paragraph to make an argument for CCP and linked this demo for their Carbon character tech: 

I don't play EVE, but follow the company.  I did recently jump into EVE and create a character with their amazing CC.  This character looks a lot like me.  The options for the face were insane.

Great video, BTW.  Thanks for posting it.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• redcloud16redcloud16 Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by Grunch
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Goofy.

If they had Goofy do it then it would never meet its release date. Mickey is really the only one responisble enough to complete a project of this calibur. Everyone knows Donald has anger issues so he would create a hostile environment in the office.

A million times this. ^^^

But on topic, I want an mmo made by the Kingdom Hearts/Dissidia/VersusXIII team combined with the team working on FFXIV:A Realm Reborn. 

This is *obviously* a dream team since the KH team is tied up for the next 30 or so years finishing up VersusXIII and I don't want anything to distract the dev team of FFXIV:A Realm Reborn because I need that game NAOW. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Blizzard so I keep my fat salary
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

1) Blizzard - but will never happen.  Good developers don't need to give a % of their profits to IP holders

2) Valve - same reason as above

There's no one else I would trust.  I'm not sure Trion can build an artistically interesting or high budget game.  They do their thing well, but I'm not sure it scales up to higher quality and budget products.

This was almost a mirst choice... I actually had written a long paragraph to make an argument for CCP and linked this demo for their Carbon character tech: 

I don't play EVE, but follow the company.  I did recently jump into EVE and create a character with their amazing CC.  This character looks a lot like me.  The options for the face were insane.

Np glad you enjoyed :) and yeah their CC is incredible.  That's what I want my SWMMORPG to look like, not like... well, this:

This game's art style just seems very... lazy.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

Np glad you enjoyed :) and yeah their CC is incredible.  That's what I want my SWMMORPG to look like, not like... well, this:

Agreed.  Even for going with the cartoon look they wanted, it's still bad.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Nice to see you again DeaconX! :)

Hm, difficult question. Many studios could make it right or wrong.

I would assume Disney gives the studio a big enough budget. Maybe Turbine? Or even SOE again, to be honest. I dunno. I would at this time not trust to take it over than myself, haha. XD

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I would choose Trion Worlds.  While I am not a huge fan of Rift, they do put a ton of effort into their games.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    i would choose me.
  • KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

TaleWorlds

For a warband combat in space =x

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

1st Trion,

2nd SOE.

3rd These Guys http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

So much i loved about SWG, hard to think of anything else being worthy unless they did SWG2 and fix up the bugs add better graphics, undo the NGE, and keep the same mechanics for crafting/housing/and so much more. SWG may have been indepth, but there was so much to do it was a chore or a job, it was casual and you could take all day to do anything. I liked the choice of pvp with their 3 standings ( no fight, faction npc fighting, or full on pvp) where you had the choice not forced on you. 

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

1st - Valve

2nd - Trion

3rd - Blizzard

Darkhorse - Runic

Keep anything Star Wars away from:

EA/Bioware

SOE

George Lucas

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

No one. Not now.

There is currently no developer around that would do it justice. Maybe a team of developers from different studios, but they would need to develop at least one game to really get together as a team, and as so many people work on games today, i don't think any single person is ultimately responsible for making it succeed/fail, so yeah.

Else, take any obscure start up, they can't fail more badly then the big studios.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

So... What if.. Disney gave YOU the decision to choose the developer of the next Star Wars MMORP...who would you choose?

Consider your options and post what studio your choice would be... or even what key talents in the gaming industry :)

It's fun to dream...

I would tell them to forget the idea and focus more on good SP and C-Op games as the MMO bubble is about to burst for real.

But if they put a gun to my head and told me to picm a studio or they would redecorate my wall with me, i have to go with Mythic with the stipulation that they will be building a PvP game and stay the foxtrot uniform charlie kilo away from any PvE content., i would then turn to Dark Horse to create a new section of lore through a series of comics for a yet unexplored era of play that the game will take place in.

Design wise combat would happen on several world through "war fronts" in essence randomly generated maps that would change once a week as war "moved" across the planet.

But as i said first. it is for the best if no one tries this again.

This have been a good conversation

Guys check this out: http://kotaku.com/5961758/wing-commanders-spiritual-sequel-sets-a-new-57--million-video-game-crowdfunding-record

Check out the video with that article and tell me you're not seeing Star Wars :)

Originally posted by Elikal

Nice to see you again DeaconX! :)

Cheers mate :) I circle back here from time to time.  It's been a while.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Bethesda or Trion Worlds
  • Jonnas13Jonnas13 Member UncommonPosts: 93

Eve Online has the ugliest avatar I have ever seen in any game:

https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/Large%20Collidable%20Object

/shudder

Originally posted by Jonnas13

Eve Online has the ugliest avatar I have ever seen in any game:

https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/Large%20Collidable%20Object

/shudder

Correction - what their CC allows some people who want to look ... different... can be the ugliset avatar lol.  That avatar is friggin horrible...yikes.  I've never understood why people do that sort of stuff but I guess there is a 'Just because I can' crowd.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Pitch Black Games
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

LA said all future game development would be done in house. This was of course just prior to Papa Disney taking over so that might have gone out the window.

• EnzoBautistaEnzoBautista Member Posts: 29
    CCP & Whitewolf Studios