Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storm Legion - Best mmo expansion for a AAA mmo in many years

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

often and often (but not necessarily) both mean the exact same thing in this context.  

In the context of an object (Noun), yes. Not in the context of an action. As explained in my post above, try again.

Do you REALLY not know the difference between:

Promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its importance or benefits.

and

Promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively often, exaggerating its importance or benefits.

?

It is very amusing to me that you think there is a difference. There is, but it's not the difference you are hoping for.

In both definitions they have to exaggerate at some point, meaning they do exaggerate.. just not all the time for the first one. In the second one they exaggerate every time.

okay i actually see where you are coming from now.

you are interpeting it as:

Promote or publicize a product intensively and, in the process of doing so, often exaggerating its importance or benefits.

There is still a difference though. 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Promote or publicize a product intensively and, in the process of doing so, often exaggerating its importance or benefits.

There isn't a difference. It's one of those confusing parts of english grammer concerning nouns and verbs.

It's like this. If someone never walks down by the lake, you can't say they often walk down by the lake.. because they don't ever do it; they don't often walk down by the lake. If someone walks down by the lake most of the time you can say they often walk down by the lake.. they don't always walk down by the lake but they do walk down by the lake.

So if someone is hyping something, they often exaggerate (walk by the lake).. not always, but they do exaggerate.

If they never exaggerate.. how can they often exaggerate? How can they be hyping if they don't often exaggerate?

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

There isn't a difference. It's one of those confusing parts of english grammer concerning nouns and verbs.

It's like this. If someone never walks down by the lake, you can't say they often walk down by the lake.. because they don't ever do it; they don't often walk down by the lake. If someone walks down by the lake most of the time you can say they often walk down by the lake.. they don't always walk down by the lake but they do walk down by the lake.

So if someone is hyping something, they often exaggerate (walk by the lake).. not always, but they do exaggerate.

If they never exaggerate.. how can they often exaggerate? How can they be hyping if they don't often exaggerate?

But its not just one person that walks, its many, many people walking.  So someone often walks by the lake.  That doesnt mean George ever walks by the lake.  Storm Legion is one of millions of things that have been advertised intensively.  Many of those millions of things advertised are exaggerated.  So yes, often they are exaggerated.  That doesnt mean that Trion did any exaggerating.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    They added so much content to the game that I was afraid the quality wasnt going to be there but I was so wrong.  Its unbelievale to me they but this much stuff into an exapansion.
  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Instead of reading this long thread did anyone post what is so great about it? The OP starts a thread and says best ever with no information. The issues I had with Rift were poor crafting, poor replay do to only one path to level, repetitive bland quest hubs. No interest in raiding or pvp. 
  • KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    They added so much content to the game that I was afraid the quality wasnt going to be there but I was so wrong.  Its unbelievale to me they but this much stuff into an exapansion.

You can say that again, i played non stop with almost no sleep to hiy lv 60 and im very impressed with the new zones and the general feel of the expansion. Its actualy way better than the base 1-50 Rift gameplay. Almost no hubs apart from major cities or some npcs related to main story quests.

Visual quality and attention to details, diversity of mobs and objects. Esp if you run it with some injector like SweetFx it makes the game look jaw dropping. I recomend to get this http://sweetfx.thelazy.net/ At the cost of no performance cost you can make the game look twice as good.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    Instead of reading this long thread did anyone post what is so great about it? The OP starts a thread and says best ever with no information. The issues I had with Rift were poor crafting, poor replay do to only one path to level, repetitive bland quest hubs. No interest in raiding or pvp. 

Crafting didint change much, they added some variety but its still not much diferent (but have more usses, a lot more outside just making items)

You dont really have 1 path to lv now if you talk about main storylines you can follow 2 continents so you have 2 paths there. But its not all there are little to no quest hubs, quests are based on exploration, finding quests scattered somewhere, participating in events like rifts, hunt rifts, onlslaughts, zone events doing slaughter quests, Instant adventures in every zones with often very fun quests like the gauntlent in ardent zone.

Raiding is still main endgame but you can get gear close to raid lv doing outside zone events, and many tiers of the hunt rifts that are kind alternative to raiding. And are diferent from normal rifts. Zone events etc. PvP is more of an extra as it always was, then again rift never was pvp game.

Duno what you look more in endgame than that, no mmo invented other endgame yet.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

But its not just one person that walks, its many, many people walking.  So someone often walks by the lake.  That doesnt mean George ever walks by the lake.  Storm Legion is one of millions of things that have been advertised intensively.  Many of those millions of things advertised are exaggerated.  So yes, often they are exaggerated.  That doesnt mean that Trion did any exaggerating.

Do we really have to keep this going for another day?

Someone who is a lake walker often walks by a lake. If they never walk by a lake, they can't be lake walking.

Someone who is a hyper often exaggerates. If they never exaggerate, they can't be hyping.

If you don't get it by now then you probably never will.

I don't care whether you think Trion exaggerated or not. They didn't, so they were not hyping. It's just advertising. That's the difference between advertising and hyping.. if it wasn't.. then hyping and advertising would mean the same thing.. so why would we have both words? Aggressive advertising.. is aggressive advertising OR generating 'hype'. 'Hype' is a noun, not a verb. Hype is a thing, hyping is an action. Generating hype and hyping do not mean the same thing. Someone who puts out a lot of adverts is generating hype. Someone who is hyping puts out a lot of adverts which often exaggerate. Someone who is hyping is generating 'exaggerated' hype. Saying something has hype and saying something is hyped are different things.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Khebeln

You can say that again, i played non stop with almost no sleep to hiy lv 60 and im very impressed with the new zones and the general feel of the expansion. Its actualy way better than the base 1-50 Rift gameplay. Almost no hubs apart from major cities or some npcs related to main story quests.

Visual quality and attention to details, diversity of mobs and objects. Esp if you run it with some injector like SweetFx it makes the game look jaw dropping. I recomend to get this http://sweetfx.thelazy.net/ At the cost of no performance cost you can make the game look twice as good.

Your right about that.  The Art work in places is amazing.  My buddy came over who usually bags on the game when he sees me playing it.  Walked in blind to the game and said.  Wow, what game is that it looks awesome.

I coughed and said...Rift.  Silence.  I just laughted and said ahh remember this game sucks dont worry about it.

Your right about that.  The Art work in places is amazing.  My buddy came over who usually bags on the game when he sees me playing it.  Walked in blind to the game and said.  Wow, what game is that it looks awesome.

I coughed and said...Rift.  Silence.  I just laughted and said ahh remember this game sucks dont worry about it.

Aye, people will always complain, but content wise and art/fidelity this expansion is second to none other. As someone mentioned you could have easily sell it as Rift 2 and no one would see the diference.

I love how many quests and little treets are hidden and you really hav to be either lucky or damn persistent explorer to find them and get server wide first msg  :D

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Aye, people will always complain, but content wise and art/fidelity this expansion is second to none other. As someone mentioned you could have easily sell it as Rift 2 and no one would see the diference.

I love how many quests and little treets are hidden and you really hav to be either lucky or damn persistent explorer to find them and get server wide first msg  :D

I have been playing Rift 2011 when it released, it hadn't ever really gotten to the place where playing it felt as it did when I was playing MMOs prior to 2008. (AO, SWG, WoW+TBC etc) All the games I played had gone down hill badly after 2007-2008. Rift was the next best thing after that. It had been good enough to play but it didn't bring me to the level of enjoyment I had previously. 

Until now. It's back.

Do we really have to keep this going for another day?

Someone who is a lake walker often walks by a lake. If they never walk by a lake, they can't be lake walking.

Someone who is a hyper often exaggerates. If they never exaggerate, they can't be hyping.

If you don't get it by now then you probably never will.

I don't care whether you think Trion exaggerated or not. They didn't, so they were not hyping. It's just advertising. That's the difference between advertising and hyping.. if it wasn't.. then hyping and advertising would mean the same thing.. so why would we have both words? Aggressive advertising.. is aggressive advertising OR generating 'hype'. 'Hype' is a noun, not a verb. Hype is a thing, hyping is an action. Generating hype and hyping do not mean the same thing. Someone who puts out a lot of adverts is generating hype. Someone who is hyping puts out a lot of adverts which often exaggerate. Someone who is hyping is generating 'exaggerated' hype. Saying something has hype and saying something is hyped are different things.

Again, there can be more than walker or hyper.  You keep ignoring that.  You just don't get it, its ok the English language is tricky and everyone struggles with parts of it.

The fact that you think hype is not a verb (as well as a noun) just shows hat you really dont have a strong grasp on the subject.

I don't know why you are so intent in trying to prove SL wasnt hyped.  I may have exaggerated when I said it was hyped 'beyond belief', but it certainly had a lot of hype around it, more so than games around Rift's population ever get. 

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

my 2 cents..

Storm Legion may or may not be good.. But I'll most likely never know.. Why you ask?  Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me..  Rift was released as a mini WoW linear end game gear grind..  The world was insanely small, mob density was crazy.. I and friends were bored after 3 months.. None of us are even talking about it or Storm Legion.. We moved on and Trion earned a bad reputation among us..  The day Trion goes OUT OF THEIR way to make right with us, is when we might give them a 2nd chance..  I don't see that happening anytime soon..  We NEVER once got email showing any concern of us leaving the game..  That says alot by itself.. doesn't it?

The fact that you think hype is not a verb (as well as a noun) just shows hat you really dont have a strong grasp on the subject.

What are you talking about? The problem 'you' are having is that you think the verb and noun version mean the same thing. Which I've said they don't countless times. You can't even read english properly, let alone understand it.

Is dancing the same thing as dance? Does dance and to dance mean the same thing? You can say "hey you, dance" which is really another way of saying "Hey you, start dancing". You can also say "I'm studying dance". They do not mean the same thing.

You can be into dance without dancing just like you can have hype without hyping.

Hyping and Hype have negative connotations and you, not understanding english properly, think hype and hyping (whatever they really mean) mean the same thing as aggressive advertising.

The fact it's taken this many posts to try explain this to you is pretty embarrassing for you. You probably won't even get it after this.

So... I'll leave you with the definition of the 'noun' hype from dictionary.com so we can end this (HINT: I've underlined a certain word for you):

"noun

5. exaggerated publicity; hoopla.

6. an ingenious or questionable claim, method, etc., used in advertising, promotion, or publicity to intensify the effect.

7. a swindle, deception, or trick. "

Do you see the word 'often' in there? Trion didn't exaggerate the games features in thier advertising for the game so it is not hyped. They told it like it is.

I really wish I'd just posted that definition from the start, then you might have understood it properly.

That's what you call a slam dunk. You may eat your hat now and can continue the rest of your days using the words hype and hyping properly.

I may have done a poor job of explaining it but, ultimately, your english is off mate.

• aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84

What are you talking about? The problem 'you' are having is that you think the verb and noun version mean the same thing. Which I've said they don't countless times. You can't even read english properly, let alone understand it.

Is dancing the same thing as dance? Does dance and to dance mean the same thing? You can say "hey you, dance" which is really another of saying "Hey you, start dancing". You can also say "I'm studying dance". They do not mean the same thing.

You can be into dance without dancing just like you can have hype without hyping.

Hyping and Hype have negative connotations and you, not understanding english properly, think hype and hyping (whatever they really mean) mean the same thing as aggressive advertising.

The fact it's taken this many posts to try explain this to you is pretty embarrassing for you. You probably won't even get it after this.

So... I'll leave you with the definition of the 'noun' hype from dictionary.com so we can end this (HINT: I've underlined a certain word for you):

"noun

6. an ingenious or questionable claim, method, etc., used in advertising, promotion, or publicity to intensify the effect.

Do you see the word 'often' in there? Trion didn't exaggerate the games features in thier advertising for the game so it is not hyped. They told it like it is.

I really wish I'd just posted that definition from the start, then you might have understood it properly.

That's what you call a slam dunk. You may eat your hat now and can continue the rest of your days using the words hype and hyping properly.

I may have done a poor job of explaining it but, ultimately, your english is off mate.

Thanks for the humor you guys. And the winner is; Vannor

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398

What a cracking thread. Good 1 v 1 battle there.

Vannor did win but awesome just awesome read :)

Need more of that really.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

For me Storm Legion so far from what I've seen is up there with the likes of the Burning Crusade and the Mines of Moria . The new continents appear smaller than I'd hoped for . This is only a first impression though and they could be a lot larger than they appear by looking at the maps .  If I am right though I would say they have more than doubled the game world size but certainly not trebled it like many people thought they would .

As I say though that is only a first impression and I could easily be wrong . I'm sure if I am some kind soul will correct me of my mistake .

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by Rydeson

my 2 cents..

Storm Legion may or may not be good.. But I'll most likely never know.. Why you ask?  Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me..  Rift was released as a mini WoW linear end game gear grind..  The world was insanely small, mob density was crazy.. I and friends were bored after 3 months.. None of us are even talking about it or Storm Legion.. We moved on and Trion earned a bad reputation among us..  The day Trion goes OUT OF THEIR way to make right with us, is when we might give them a 2nd chance..  I don't see that happening anytime soon..  We NEVER once got email showing any concern of us leaving the game..  That says alot by itself.. doesn't it?

Who are the "us " and "we" you keep mentioning in your post ?  You seem to be talking for a group of people but you never mention who they actually are ?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by roo67

As I say though that is only a first impression and I could easily be wrong . I'm sure if I am some kind soul will correct me of my mistake .

We used to have a fellow 'round here who measured the size of game worlds', converting walking speeds to various 'lengths' and measuring 'areas'--a little dubious in that you'd have to swallow handfuls of assumptions whole to agree with him.  Wonder where he went.

Anyway, we set off here into the facts A) and the reaction to them B).  In the end dubious measurement systems don't matter to how you feel about value for your dollar.  That's an emotional reaction at its core, and entirely subjective.  So--there is no 'wrong'.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Deleted User

For me Storm Legion so far from what I've seen is up there with the likes of the Burning Crusade and the Mines of Moria . The new continents appear smaller than I'd hoped for . This is only a first impression though and they could be a lot larger than they appear by looking at the maps .  If I am right though I would say they have more than doubled the game world size but certainly not trebled it like many people thought they would .

I'm pretty sure the expansion map is bigger, a higher resolution. You can zoom out further, so it looks smaller. That's why people are comparing the maps and thinking what you are thinking. There is also more water around the new continents that add to this. The original games map had very little water space at the top and the bottom, which made the graphic smaller.

Basically, the map image, the graphic, for the old continent isn't the same size as the expansion's.. it's smaller.

I'm not 100% certain of that, but that's what I think is going on from looking at them.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I agree completely with the OP.  There is a huge amount of new stuff to do in the game and messing around with your own personal dimension is pretty awesome.  There are also little things that I have found add a lot.  For example there are propaganda heralds in one of the new zones that yell crap back and fort to try to encourage their troops or discourage the enemy sort of like in World War II.  One of the anouncements went something like, To all of the troops, the priority for destruction is as follows:  The ascended (your character), (a list of various enemies), and..... any form of mobile tree.  I just started laughing because it is like this serious strategic sounding announcement and then they throw mobile trees on the list. 

Props to Trion for pumping out quality.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

Originally posted by Deleted User

I'm pretty sure the expansion map is bigger, a higher resolution. You can zoom out further, so it looks smaller. That's why people are comparing the maps and thinking what you are thinking. There is also more water around the new continents that add to this. The original games map had very little water space at the top and the bottom, which made the graphic smaller.

Basically, the map image, the graphic, for the old continent isn't the same size as the expansion's.. it's smaller.

I'm not 100% certain of that, but that's what I think is going on from looking at them.

I checked out the coordinates for each map ingame.

The original game map is 15000 x 8150

The expansions map is 20500 x 15300

So what I've said above is correct. The expansions continents are deceptively smaller on the map but they arn't really. The individual zones are also much bigger than the ones in the original, which is deceptive once the map is fully zoomed out. Most are actually more than double the size. When looking at the new continents, you are seeing them from further away.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I'm curious tho...

People are saying that Storm Leggion map size is 200% bigger then the original game..  If that is true, then I have to ask something..  Since the game released in early 2011, assuming NONE of the expansion content was made prior to that, why did the game release with such as a small ass world?  This will be interesting what Trion will do over the next 18 months.. People will be expecting the same output as the first expansion..  This might end up being comical.. It's like the running back that brags about rushing for 2,000 yards and recieving for another 1,000...... Guess what?  Now you have to do that ever season.. Good Luck..

Is dancing the same thing as dance? Does dance and to dance mean the same thing? You can say "hey you, dance" which is really another way of saying "Hey you, start dancing". You can also say "I'm studying dance". They do not mean the same thing.

"noun

But there cant be a dance without dancing.  If nothing is dancing, there is no dance.  

Of course the noun and verb dont necessarily mean the same thing.  Dancing is performing a dance.  Hyping is producing hype.  You said that hype is not a verb and now are trying to backtrack on it to save face.  And generally, verb definitions and noun definitions are related, and this is no exception

hype/h?p/

Noun:
    1. Extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion.
    Verb:
    1. Promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its importance or benefits.
    2. Stimulate or excite (someone): "I was hyped up because I wanted to do well".

Well look, there is that intensive promotion in both the verb form and the noun form.

You really should have just left this argument long ago, because your 'slam dunk' was just blocked.  Nothing more embarassing than having a dunk blocked.

Here is another definition that is closer to your interpretation:

1. Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion

Still, no mention of any exaggeration here.  But yes, I realize some definitions will mention exaggeration or deception.

All this really means is that there is no agreed upon definition for hype.

But the reality of it is, when this site has a hype rating for games, its not a measure of which games people feel are most over publicized, its the games they are most looking forward too.  Hype is something products want.  In the way its used on this site, its more about excitement and anticipation for a product pre-release (and since this thread was started less than a week after SL's release, its close enough to that time frame).  

Note that the second verb definition above, to stimulate or excite someone...No negative connotation at all.

Its after the product has been released for a while that hype switches from positive to negative.  'It didnt live up to the hype' or 'it was all hype.'  Its just really that people tend to have unrealistic expectations.  

• thetimesthetimes Member Posts: 49
    I canceled RIFT and WoW lastnight. I tired of that syle of game play.