Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is this game worthwhile to play?

Comments

• robthemaniacrobthemaniac Member Posts: 57

I enjoyed my time with the game. It's best enjoyed with a couple buddies, and I'm only selling now since my last few friends from the game have stopped playing. 

I know a lot of people are hating on the RMAH, but I think it's wicked. I don't buy on there, only sell, but once my last few items sell (hopefully in the next couple days) I should be cashing out with well over $250. Playing the AH in WoW was always fun as HELL to me, and so the idea of getting to do that with real money, with no real cost to myself was incredibly entertaining. 

Best time was I found a legendary on my birthday that was near best-in-slot. Sold later that night for $90 on the RMAH, what a hell of a birthday present from Bliz!

Wait until it's on sale, don't expect it to play like a straight MMORPG, and you should get several enjoyable hours out of it. If nothing else, just playing the normal mode for a single player storyline type experience could be worth it!

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by Aviggin

It's funny, peopel keep saying how much D3 has improved over the last while since release, but honestly, it hasn't added all that much. Sure, you have 100 or whatever Paragon levels to grind through, and you can fight uber bosses now, but there really isn't THAT big of a difference from launch until now.

The game is what it is, and I do consider it more entertaining than TL2, but it's not a very good game in terms of storyline, the RMAH, gear drop rates and longevity. I'm also just really not a fan of the skill system implemented, which unfortunately is the entire combat system and majority fo the gameplay.

Just my opinion of course. It's a decent game, and you'd get likely get enough hours out of it to warrant a purchase, but it's still a very shallow game that will likely leave you disappointed overall.

If you don't like closed bnet D2, you probably won't like D3.  If that's your POV, I'm not sure why you are posting here.

He's probably posting here for the same reason I did even though I don't enjoy the game. A question was asked and he has some experience with the game and thus formed enough of an opinion to answer the question.  I happen to agree with his points on the combat system and the fact that the changes haven't really done enough to warrant saying the game has improved enough to change my opinion. It's not like he came in here and made shit up and spouted it as factual data. Not all opinions will be in agreement. At least he actually answered the question rahter than trolling someone elses opinion >.>.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by teotius
    It is a good single player game. I spent myself good 200hours to it and had fun. If u are gonna play it as an mmo, no its not worth it.

This^

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

If you can get it for $30 or less, I would say it's a no-brainer. Buy it. 

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by Aviggin

It's funny, peopel keep saying how much D3 has improved over the last while since release, but honestly, it hasn't added all that much. Sure, you have 100 or whatever Paragon levels to grind through, and you can fight uber bosses now, but there really isn't THAT big of a difference from launch until now.

The game is what it is, and I do consider it more entertaining than TL2, but it's not a very good game in terms of storyline, the RMAH, gear drop rates and longevity. I'm also just really not a fan of the skill system implemented, which unfortunately is the entire combat system and majority fo the gameplay.

Just my opinion of course. It's a decent game, and you'd get likely get enough hours out of it to warrant a purchase, but it's still a very shallow game that will likely leave you disappointed overall.

If you don't like closed bnet D2, you probably won't like D3.  If that's your POV, I'm not sure why you are posting here.

I'm probably more confused about why you posted this comment - as it doesn't have anything to do with what I said - than you are about mine being posted.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Can't say anything about being worthwhile - everyone should decide that for themselves. But right now D3 is much, much better than it used to be. If there ever was a true miracle patch it was D3 1.0.5.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by lotaparty
    i have played the starter edition but it was enough for me to make a concrete decision about the game .so is it worthwhile to buy diablo 3 ? i played TL2 and enjoyed it alot . but i am skeptical about this and have not been able to make up my mind

If you like combat heavy ARPG, this is THE game to play. Each class have many skills and build options, and just that will last a long time.

Just give an example, i started the game when it was released back in March, and I only have TWO (wiz and barb) L60 toons (although i do have one of each class).

While the dungeon content is limited (only 4 chapters), the class design is very good, and each plays very differently. Just go to diablofans.com forum, and sample a bit of the guides. Just wiz has 4-5 viable builds, and people are trying new ones very often.

It is better than TL2 (which i am also playing) just because it has more class content (skills and progression), and much more polished. TL2 is quite obviously much lower budget (not a bad game though).

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by wowfan1996
    Can't say anything about being worthwhile - everyone should decide that for themselves. But right now D3 is much, much better than it used to be. If there ever was a true miracle patch it was D3 1.0.5.

Yeh. And consider than it is still like #6 or #7 on Xfire after 8 months.

1.05 is very good. Essentially give almost unlimited challenge (yes, i know there are those who can do MP10 with ease, but that is not me, and probably not you and 99.9% of the players).

• CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

1.05 is very good. Essentially give almost unlimited challenge (yes, i know there are those who can do MP10 with ease, but that is not me, and probably not you and 99.9% of the players).

Xfire..Lmao.

Why do people like you still continue to use a program like xfire to determine how popular a game is?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh

Xfire..Lmao.

Why do people like you still continue to use a program like xfire to determine how popular a game is?

Show us something better and we'll use that.  Prove XFire is baseless and we'll ignore it.   Good luck with either.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    The game is a bore compared to D2 and TL2.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh

Xfire..Lmao.

Why do people like YOU care what other people use to determine how popular a game is? Or are you the Supreme Master and we should all just use what  YOU determine the propper method?

btw: Pie > Cake. 

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

i have played the starter edition but it was enough for me to make a concrete decision about the game .so is it worthwhile to buy diablo 3 ? i played TL2 and enjoyed it alot . but i am skeptical about this and have not been able to make up my mind

It really depends. Did you hate TL2? Did you ever wish it were a lot less like a Diablo game? Do you want to play a real money treadmill game where you can just burn cash all day? Only if you said yes to all 3, are you ready to try "Diablo" 3.

On the other hand, if you want a great ARPG with good itemization that is like Diablo 2, try Borderlands.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Yes D3 was fun as far as hack and slash RPGs go, and dont listen to the RMAH stuff, I played thru all 4 difficulties without ever spending a dime.

Godz of War I call Thee

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

It really depends. Did you hate TL2? Did you ever wish it were a lot less like a Diablo game? Do you want to play a real money treadmill game where you can just burn cash all day? Only if you said yes to all 3, are you ready to try "Diablo" 3. On the other hand, if you want a great ARPG with good itemization that is like Diablo 2, try Borderlands.

borderlands ? oh i always thought it to be a fps type of game .is it a good arpg ? i might try it out :)

Originally posted by hazy

Oh god please do not buy D3. Seriously the game is beyond horrible. I cannot believe all the people saying buy it, I bet they are the same ones who bitch about f2p games and saying they're pay to win when Diablo 3 is literally one of the only games I know of that is in fact pay to win. It is also infested with botters who have ruined the economy and Blizzard is fine with them because they bring in revenue from the scrubs who are dumb enough to use the Real Money Auction House (yeah you read that right).  If you want a decent ARPG hold out for Path of Exile or Grim Dawn both are going to be f2p. If you want a good Diablo game go with Diablo 2, it was great and I'm sure its still infinitely better than Diablo 3. If you want to know how bad D3 just look at all the player auction sites and people selling their D3 accounts and the zero people who actually buy them. It is a god aweful game made by a once great company who lost all its talent years ago. Also its a massive grind with little to no pay off. The story is complete crap even for a diablo game. The levels are clones of their D2 equivalents, as are the classes, seriously the lack of originality is pathetic. The first play through on normal will be moderately fun because you will actually be getting gear and building your char and skills and whatnot, plus you'll be moderately interested in the story but after that its all down hill like a friggin landslide.

</p
    I'm with you. I don't get how anybody could look at the game objectively and recommend playing it to another human. It just... the low overall quality and the displacement from the Diablo franchise are bad enough to give it a pass, but the RMT AH focus of the game is a complete disaster as well.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by waveslayer
    Yes D3 was fun as far as hack and slash RPGs go, and dont listen to the RMAH stuff, I played thru all 4 difficulties without ever spending a dime.

that is comforting .now i have to see a cheap version of diablo 3 if acailable on market

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    I came back to D3 a couple of daya ago, and I'm having a lot of fun again. I'm currently in act IV inferno, and I feel like it's easier to get upgrades now (not using any of the AHs)

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

It really depends. Did you hate TL2? Did you ever wish it were a lot less like a Diablo game? Do you want to play a real money treadmill game where you can just burn cash all day? Only if you said yes to all 3, are you ready to try "Diablo" 3. On the other hand, if you want a great ARPG with good itemization that is like Diablo 2, try Borderlands.

borderlands ? oh i always thought it to be a fps type of game .is it a good arpg ? i might try it out :)

If Fallout 3 and Diablo 2 had a baby, and then sent that baby to standup comedy school, it would be Borderlands.

that is comforting .now i have to see a cheap version of diablo 3 if acailable on market

Worst game ever made. Don't say we didn't warn you.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

It's one of the best ARPGs (if not the best) out there at the moment. Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 are games which you will play through ones and then quit. Torchlight 2, I couldn't even stomach to go through it once! That game is so boring that I don't think I even got the 15 pounds worth of gameplay lol.

Diablo 3 is an extremely solid choice at the moment. It has closed servers to prevent cheating, char editing etc. It is the most polished one and has the best atmosphere out of all the ARPGs. Also Blizzard are continuously improving the game and all their changes have been in the right direction to make it more D2-like. The only thing that really needs to be added is PvP. After that, the game would be very good. Also if you want to play a game which will be around for a long time, Blizzard games are always the way to go. For example, the population of TL2 has dropped significantly and will probably die out in less than a year. Blizzard have talked about releasing 2 xpacs for D3 so the future looks much brighter for the game.

The RMAH discusion has just turned into stupid bickering that's completely blown out of proportions. There is absolutely no need whatsoever to use the RMAH. Every single item is being offered on the gold AH and most people post their stuff on the gold AH without even thinking about the RMAH. Most of the people who comment on these forums, have no clue about Diablo 3. Most of them played it for 10 hours during the beta, didn't play it at all or just quit after beating normal. They adon't know what tehy are talking about. They don't even know what changes have been made to this game.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Diablo 3 is a fun game.  You can even make money playing it.  I don't get why people hate this game so much.  Yes, at launch it was horrible, since noone could get past act 2 inferno.  they've done a good job of calibrating the difficulty.  If you liked TL or Diablo 2, you'll probably like Diablo 3.  It's pretty much the same as Diablo 2, you grind out monsters to get gear in the end in every game, so it's good and fun :)

http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-Standard-Pc/dp/B00178630A/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1353710714&sr=1-1&keywords=diablo+3

it's $29.99 on amazon, imho it's easily worth that :)

Originally posted by fivoroth

It's one of the best ARPGs (if not the best) out there at the moment. Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 are games which you will play through ones and then quit. Torchlight 2, I couldn't even stomach to go through it once! That game is so boring that I don't think I even got the 15 pounds worth of gameplay lol.

Diablo 3 is an extremely solid choice at the moment. It has closed servers to prevent cheating, char editing etc. It is the most polished one and has the best atmosphere out of all the ARPGs. Also Blizzard are continuously improving the game and all their changes have been in the right direction to make it more D2-like. The only thing that really needs to be added is PvP. After that, the game would be very good. Also if you want to play a game which will be around for a long time, Blizzard games are always the way to go. For example, the population of TL2 has dropped significantly and will probably die out in less than a year. Blizzard have talked about releasing 2 xpacs for D3 so the future looks much brighter for the game.

The RMAH discusion has just turned into stupid bickering that's completely blown out of proportions. There is absolutely no need whatsoever to use the RMAH. Every single item is being offered on the gold AH and most people post their stuff on the gold AH without even thinking about the RMAH. Most of the people who comment on these forums, have no clue about Diablo 3. Most of them played it for 10 hours during the beta, didn't play it at all or just quit after beating normal. They adon't know what tehy are talking about. They don't even know what changes have been made to this game.

What are you talking about?  Borderlands has raids.  Does Diablo 3?  No, Diablo 3 has real money auctions as its ONLY endgame.  Obviously, you are a Blizzard fanboy who has not played Borderlands or Torchlight.

• stugurtstugurt Member Posts: 45
    I do agree with peoples hatred for the game, but at the same time... Satisfying combat and addictive drops make it fun. Newegg has it for $40 dollars right now so if you are in need of amusement go for it. Just wait, when pvp comes out people will STFU.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by fivoroth

What are you talking about?  Borderlands has raids.  Does Diablo 3?  No, Diablo 3 has real money auctions as its ONLY endgame.  Obviously, you are a Blizzard fanboy who has not played Borderlands or Torchlight.

I can't speak towards Borderlands.  But Torchlight 2 is a two week game for me and apparently a lot of people.  The game is already dead and when the modding tools are released the population will be completely fractured.  TL2 is made by great devs with a small budget and little ambition.