Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Hopes and Wishes....

Where to begin....

For starters, I've been around the MMO block more than once, since 2001 I've played every Major and Minor MMO you can probably bring up that was worth anything at all and a few that should never have been as well.  I'm not goin to brag about my accomplishments, because in all actuallity they're all just games, who cares how much you've done in them.  The point is, did you have fun while in the game?  If so?  Then the game did it's job.  Some games start out great, only to go really bad, really fast, right after release.  There are a few major reasons for this, one of which is usually poor implimintation and design.  Mostly it's design though.

MMO ( Especially RPG based MMO's ) and yes there are those out there that I personally feel shouldn't be touting the RPG part of their genre.  Anyway, a MMO is a game that has long since been lost, let alone MMORPG's.   The idea behind paying a monthly fee to play a game you spent $60 to $150 ( CE's ) to buy to me back in the early days was not something I cared for.  But!  When I seen that the game was never ending, took you a good six months of hard work just to get to what I call the midway point ( Max Level, as we all know that's generally where the real game begins ).  Then you still haven't even come close to doing even 50% of what the game had to offer.  You were lucky if you got it all done by the time they did their next paid expansion.

That to me is what a MMORPG should be, you should not complete the game at all even close in the firs few weeks or months.  It should be something on such a grand scale that when you get in, you are overwhelmed and kept occupied for the first year at least.  Crafting was also something that made things last longer, as in my first MMORPG ( DAoC ) it defined your world.  Crafting was a HUGE part of it and that even itself has been lost in todays MMORPG's.  Then we come to the last point of my targeted discussion here is everyone wants the next MMO they go to, to be just like the one they just left but with a different skin.  They deny this when you say this to them but in actuallity it is what they're demanding.  Gaming companies now days go for the quick buck, release things well before the game is ready and end up struggling and caving in to demands of what in fact is the reason games fail lately.  Now this brings me to The Elder Scrolls Online....

Let me say this is the one thing I've been really waiting for, that is simply an Online version of Elder Scrolls.  I could have been more than happy of just having them add the ability to have 3 others log into a Elder Scrolls game ( Like Skyrim ) and just have the game scale to how many of us were there and let a few of us get together and have a blast going around and exploring.  Then again I can't deny I wanted to know what it would be like for a real MMORPG by Bethesda.  Now before you go pointing out it's not Bethesda making it?  They are overseeing it, they are a part of it still and it is their partner company doing this.  So!  I'm still excited and having a lot of faith that they will bring back what MMORPG's are supposed to be.

The main issue I see with gaming today, everyone wants to just get in for a short time and get everything they want and get out.  Problem is, that is not what a MMO should be, as I've explained.  I've read and heard about from my closest friends that frequent here a lot about what some ohave said.  All of the "This is why The Elder Scrolls Online will fail" and all that.  Well for starters a failed game does not run, does not stay open and is not played by anyone, PERIOD!  There are a lot of games still being played to this day ( EQ, EQ2, DAoC, etc.... ) that were out and are responsible for other MMO's coming to life that are in fact still running today.  Just because a game has some similarities to another, doesn't make them a Clone to the previous one.

What makes them a clone is when they start down that path of bringing in things to their game that others have based on selfish demands of players that just don't want to put in time and effort to a game.  They want the quick fix and get to the end yesterday as apposed to taking their time, play and enjoy the game and explore all of the options.  MMORPG's are not single player games, they are not a stand alone, they should take you all year to get even close to completing everything there is in the game from release minus a content addition here and there.  This is what The Elder Scrolls is up against and to me that has nothing to do with it being a Clone, it has more to do with todays players wanting it to become just that so they can rush through it.

Now, don't get me wrong, not trying to start no kind of flame wars here, but The Elder Scrolls Online from what I've been seeing is far from being anything like any other game out other than Elder Scrolls itself.  It can't possibly be identical 100% to the stand alone version, because there is a lot in those that would not work in the online format of an MMORPG, especially one with PvP in it.  I for one love the direction they're going with it so far, except for a few things.  I've long gotten over the need to have one dungeon have three of four different playable versions ( Heroic, Nightmare, etc.... ).  That I can do without, I'd just like to have a lot more different dungeons than go into the same one again all the time.  That's just me though.

This game's combat system is NOT like GW2, it's like their stand alone game more than GW2.  GW2's is a weak version of what TESO has.  The way the perk system works, the way the attacks can change and so on are far different than that of GW2.  So that's not a real fair comparison.  The game isn't even out of infancy yet and people are judging purely on speculation and not on facts.  Nothing in the game is even written in stone till it's released and even then it's not, we all know this from being in MMO's how they change things all the time.  Technically, no game is really ever out of beta, it's just released and everyone that buys it is now the game's beta testers from that time going forward lol!

As far as my hopes for TESO, I'd like it to bring back Adventuring into MMORPG's, that has been a lost element for quite some time.  I still play Skyrim, because it really makes me travel all over the realm looking for just anything I may have missed.  An NPC that has a quest that I didn't get, a dungeon, cave, fort, anything that I may have missed in my travels.  Special items I may have overlooked, all kinds of things because in Skyrim, 98% of it is fully explorable.  Every building, house, fort, chest, closet, all of it can be opened or lock picked.  There is so much  you can be doing on your own like that, it would be hard to be bored.

Dungeons for groups, I've heard that some don't want them instanced.  I however would like them to keep them instanced, there is nothing worse than having to compete for a boss, or having a group of people ( Farmers ) that sit at a certain boss and camp it till they get all they want from it, or just come in for harrassment puproses to mess up your encounter because they can.  We would like to think people are nice enough to not do that, but lets be realistic here, we know better!  Experience with this kind of system has definitely given proof to that.  Yeah there are some people out there with that kind of respect, but not as much as there are those that don't.

The other thing is about the Three Realm Split, if they don't allow you to play all three realms?  So?  Pick the one has what you want most of.  I had to do this back in DAoC, but then again, they had more than one server so I do understand the position this puts some of us in.  But I do feel for the PvP end of this, it needs to be that way.  Just because you have two other realms you can't go into with your character doesn't mean you're getting cheated at all.  In DAoC the realms were huge inside their own.  Then the PvP ( Frontiers ) was just as big.  So I don't see a problem personally with this.  I must admit though, I am concerned with the so called "Mega Server" system they're using.  I'd liked to of at least had a choice to play one of the other realms on another server.  At this point I'd say have three "Mega Servers" so that players can have that option.

My main thing about this post if anything at all, is that I have faith in The Elder Scrolls Online to do their best to bring things in line with what a MMORPG should be and not what everyone right now is currently calling an MMORPG.  Lets be serious, if we wanted to keep playing the same game over and over, we'd never left the game that originally gave us all that and or be yerning so much for something new, something GREAT to make it's way out and save us from our constant let downs of recent times.  So if anything, don't be backseat developers, let them do their job, we'll do ours and play the game if we like it.  If not?  Then find one that makes us happy and play that.  For me?  I've had Skyrim since release and I'm still playing it!

Foxxen

Guild Leader for Order of Sanity

Guild Leader

The Order of Sanity

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Don't build hype for the game. It just brings out the worst in people.

I hope they just make a decent quality game.

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by Foxxen.

The other thing is about the Three Realm Split, if they don't allow you to play all three realms?  So?  Pick the one has what you want most of.  I had to do this back in DAoC, but then again, they had more than one server so I do understand the position this puts some of us in.  But I do feel for the PvP end of this, it needs to be that way.  Just because you have two other realms you can't go into with your character doesn't mean you're getting cheated at all.  In DAoC the realms were huge inside their own.  Then the PvP ( Frontiers ) was just as big.  So I don't see a problem personally with this.  I must admit though, I am concerned with the so called "Mega Server" system they're using.  I'd liked to of at least had a choice to play one of the other realms on another server.  At this point I'd say have three "Mega Servers" so that players can have that option.

That was a ridiculously long post, and I didn't read all of it, but wanted to say Welcome to a fellow DAoC'er. As I understand it so far,, players will be able to roll toons on different factions on the mega-server, but they can't have toons from different factions in the same campaign, (campaigns being the PvP servers within the mega-server), so I don't see this as being a huge problem, you will be able to explore Midgard, Hibernia, and Albion if you want.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    My biggest concerns revolve around this mega server
    1 Players switching to campaigns where their alliance is the zerg faction
    2 no alternate ffa and coop ruleset servers just core
    3 the amount of phasing and instancing ruining the persistent world atmosphere of both tes and daoc
    4 it has a raid progression endgame too. Never played a game yet that had one without pvp and crafting suffering badly.
  • FoxxenFoxxen Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by Qallidexz
    Originally posted by Foxxen.

That was a ridiculously long post, and I didn't read all of it, but wanted to say Welcome to a fellow DAoC'er. As I understand it so far,, players will be able to roll toons on different factions on the mega-server, but they can't have toons from different factions in the same campaign, (campaigns being the PvP servers within the mega-server), so I don't see this as being a huge problem, you will be able to explore Midgard, Hibernia, and Albion if you want.

Yes it was a long post, but that's just how it goes.  As for building Hype?  Why not?  We're all entitled to our opinions yes?  It's just I've heard so many go negative on a game that isn't even out yet, doesn't even have a release date.  That's kind of silly when you think about it.  Anyway, yeah my post I admit was long but I had a lot to say and no need in breaking it down to several post when it would still equate out to the same thing, a riduclously long post just in several chapters.

Everyone is going to talk about a game that is being announced this early, there is no stopping that.  You'll either choose to agree with someone or not, it's all good either way.  But I feel gamers today need to stop wanting a new version of a previous game and as well stop calling all MMO's a clone of another ( No names being mentioned ), just look at it as a new chance for something you 'Might' like or 'Not' and move on.  People have caused the MMO industry to go stagnate as of late, by making overbearing demands on the game companies to put this in, put that in, or I'm leaving or wont buy it, etc....  Well, we don't all drive the same car, we don't all live in the same house, we all don't wear the same shoes, etc... So why should every MMO that comes out be the same as another in it's options, content or otherwise?  It shouldn't.

Now, flipside here, there are a lot of positive comments and posts as well which I'm happy to see there are.  I've been wanting this to happen for the better part of six years ( The Elder Scrolls Online ).  That's how far back it was when I started getting in to Elder Scrolls itself.  Their games are addictive to say the least and I really hope this one lives up to that reputation.  As I've learned with some regret now and then, that doesn't always happen so I'm going to try to keep myself open minded and like all of the others here, hope it is a very good game in general.  We can fantasize about it all we want, but reallity can be harsh when you over build your expectations....

Foxxen

The Order of Sanity

Guild Leader

The Order of Sanity

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Sounds like the OP should be playing Vanguard it's everything an old time MMO used to be. It takes months to level up and with diplomacy and crafting your talking about a good part of a year. You could play Vanguard for two years and not do a lot of the content or see the whole world.

If you really belive in what your saying OP then why are you not playing Vanguard especially now the population has improved ten fold.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    My biggest concerns revolve around this mega server
    1 Players switching to campaigns where their alliance is the zerg faction
    2 no alternate ffa and coop ruleset servers just core
    3 the amount of phasing and instancing ruining the persistent world atmosphere of both tes and daoc
    4 it has a raid progression endgame too. Never played a game yet that had one without pvp and crafting suffering badly.

Yes, those are a lot of my concerns as well.  As far as PvP goes in most games, it's usually the downfall for PvE and that I hope changes here.  I'm not holding my breath.  Problem you have is PvP players all want the game a certain way, which causes the PvE game to suffer in the end.  Your hard core PvP players will throw fits on forums to get their way, so much that the company regrets usually ever putting up the Forums or putting PvP in the game.  Because they usually end up caving in for these types and it gets old going from game to game with the same mistakes being repeated left and right.  So yes, this is a major concern for me.

As far as crafting goes, I think that should be how you get your armor.  Doing the Raids and such to get the special mats needed to make the super high end armor would be the way to go.  This way, Crafters are some of the most important people in the game.  Crafting needs to be made important like it was in DAoC, because you had to have 99% and 100% quality gear made then have it Spell Crafted, Alchemy for Tinctures, on top of all the different crafts for Armor and Weapons.  Not to mention all the crafters were important for things other than just gear, they did repairs on Walls and Doors at keeps, made the parts for all the Siege Weapons as well.  We haven't had crafters that important in a game in a very long time and quite frankly they should have always been that important.  Not just one or two out of the eight or so different professiosn  you could choose from being worth the time and effort to level.

I haven't heard much about the crafting in TESO, but I'm hoping for it to be that important, but I'm sure if I build my hopes up that hight they'll get crushed so I'm going to hold off on any opinions on this till I see more about what they're doing to the crafting lines.  I particularly LOVE it in Skyrim, not overly complicated and very important to perfecting your character.  Lets hope for similar here.

Guild Leader

The Order of Sanity

Originally posted by Rimmersman

Sounds like the OP should be playing Vanguard it's everything an old time MMO used to be. It takes months to level up and with diplomacy and crafting your talking about a good part of a year. You could play Vanguard for two years and not do a lot of the content or see the whole world.

If you really belive in what your saying OP then why are you not playing Vanguard especially now the population has improved ten fold.

No it sounds like to me that the industry is stagnate and needs to move back in time a bit to make themselves viable again.  No one likes a MMO that you complete in less than a month's time and trust me that's been done more times than I can count.  You pay $60 to $200 or more for the game, you expect to get more than a month or two for your investment.  Which has not happened in the last 5 or more years with any game.

As for my playing Vanguard I have a level 39 Rogue in that game, they have taken so much of what I loved about that game out of it that I feel I personally wouldn't enjoy it.  The other factor is I don't like open public dungeons to do raids in.  Again, something about having to compete to get to a boss, been there and done that and don't like it.  But I commend you for thinking about Vanguard because it had ( Not sure how much has changed since I left ) the very best combat mechanics of any game ever made.  Their crafting was far more superior to other games but it was not easy either.  I forget what my Tailoring is at on that game, but it was pretty high when I left.  So yes, that game is a good example of what a REAL MMORPG is.

The only reason it's numbers are up is they went Free To Play wich is more expensive than doing a Subscription based term with them.  But people don't realize that at first, they see that one word "FREE" and think YAY!  If they want much out of it they'll end up spending more than what they would if they just did the monthly fee.  So eh, not going to be the one to bite on that bait.

But I do agree with your response as far as what it would take to get everything up to level.  That game deserves so much better than Sony has given it.  It was a gem of a game when it came out, had they fixed the bugs and put more effort behind it, they'd had one hell of a game to contend with anything being released at that time.  And yes, my diplomacy was up pretty high as well.  I focused on a lot of that game's many directions you could go.  I found it more than fun.  The only reason I left to begin with was the people that were playing at that time, if you didn't know anyone you were pretty much on your own and the guild I did join was doing nothing and going nowhere.

All of this aside however, the one thing Vanguard was not all that rich in was Adventuring and Story.  It had a story, but unlike what you get with Elder Scrolls, it pails in comparison there.  One of the things I said in my original post was I'd be more than happy had they just gave us the ability to log into a server with Skyrim and have up to 4 of us in a single game to just go at it at our own pace.  That would have pleased me more than anything, I'd never want another MMO if I had that.  Seeings how they are making an MMORPG out of it, my hopes is they keep what makes Elder Scrolls unique and not cater to the whims of the industry and todays masses.  Because that is how the gaming industry has turned into makeing MMO's nothing more than a one month stand ( Basically a Stand Alone time span ), which is NOT what a good MMORPG is!

Guild Leader

The Order of Sanity

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

The ES series has to my mind been the quintessential gamer fantasy experience - as rich, detailed and engaging as the limitations of a computer RPG have allowed at each step. I have enjoyed every iteration of it to date due to it's quality - and also becuase of the genre - medieval, based in strong real-world cultures with thoughtful additions and great cultural style expressions from arms to clothing to buildings.

They have always gelled well, and the plotlines have been solid and interesting, the environments absorbing, even beautiful at times.

Despite this - I am not a purist, and see the upcoming and all too predictable standoff between MMO players and ES single player enthusiasts as a shame.

I think the game should be given a fair crack of the whip. Those concerned that the game won't feel right because it isn't exactly the same as ES need to chill a little and acknowledge that MMO games have certain limitations that no 'magic wand' is going to cure as technology currently stands. Likewise the MMO players need to see the adaptations which will come with this - in order to meet at least some of the desires of the ES proponents need to be there.

The game needs 'Elder Scroll'ness' but needs to work as an MMO too.

Lore-masters need to see the need for flexibility too, as unlikely as Nord, Argonian and Dunmers are as allies - how likely was the USA and Russia hand in glove until the Nazis? The enemy of my enemy and all that...

In any case - I have cautiously high hopes for the game. I lke that it is taking some of the MMO evolution which GW2 has succeeded in introducing to the genre and mixing it up with older elements which have persisted because of the need for and/or success of their contributions.

I think this will be a game which helps my Guild get back together in one game in larger numbers - reversing the fragmentation and smaller group focus which TSW, GW2 and the poor offerings of the other more WoW-standard MMO's that have swept us into.

I see no current reasons to doomsay on this game and have my fingers firmly crossed that the good stuff I can clearly see at this point gels into a game which exceeds the sum of it's parts and isn't brought down by poor execution or a game-breaking element as yet unclear.

Well theyve dropped the hideous "lets pretend we are a moba or fps and not a mmo" instanced pvp, rightly so, so that the ava can flourish.

I'm hoping they also Drop the instanced pve to give the open dungeons a fair crack of the whip
  • Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Well theyve dropped the hideous "lets pretend we are a moba or fps and not a mmo" instanced pvp, rightly so, so that the ava can flourish.

I'm hoping they also Drop the instanced pve to give the open dungeons a fair crack of the whip

Open dungeons are ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS thoroughly and repeatedly abused ad nauseam by a minority of sad little people who would get a good kicking round the back of the pub if they were to admit it in real life.

Open dungeons are a bad idea not because they couldn't be great, but because this type of muppet ruins them every time.

So no - alas, open dungeons are a bad idea, and ESO will suffer because they intend to have them in unless they have a revolutionary 'consequences' system for griefng.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

Open dungeons are ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS thoroughly and repeatedly abused ad nauseam by a minority of sad little people who would get a good kicking round the back of the pub if they were to admit it in real life.

Open dungeons are a bad idea not because they couldn't be great, but because this type of muppet ruins them every time.

So no - alas, open dungeons are a bad idea, and ESO will suffer because they intend to have them in unless they have a revolutionary 'consequences' system for griefng.

Abused how?

TESO is like gw2 in that there is no mob stealing. Granted the PD's in the PvP map will be contested by each faction, but thats the fun of being on a PvP map, if you dont want PvP then just stick to your factions map

Aparentl you haven't played Lineage series of games, especially L2.  They had that, all it was, was players sitting at bosses all the time camping them.  Either for one of two reasons, griefing others that tried to come in for the boss ( Remember that game was all PvP ) and or they were trying to farm it for items.  This is especially true for farming companies.  So no, I'm not at all interested in giving them any means to take advantage of a game like this and ruining it to the point all you do is log out because you're so upset it's going on.

The only open dungeon systems I've ever really enjoyed was that of DAoC, but farming companies didn't plague that game for some reason.  At least I never noticed them and I was in those PvE dungeons a lot.  Back then the player community was much stronger too.  As in we did huge dragon raids, Darkness Fall raids and had a blast.  But I'll admit, that also was as laggy as can be doing Legion at the end of DF.  The loot was hard to get anything from because of how many showed up.

I feel as far as PvE Dungeons go, they should be isntanced and maybe have one that isn't or even two, but if they were to all go Open, then it would be total mayem even standing to go into them no matter what.  Remember, they're trying to do this Mega-Server stuff that I feel is a major negative in this.  Something about it doesn't seem like it is going to work as well as they're thinking.  We'll just have to wait and see on this one.  But yeah, Open Dungeons are huge negatives and the only people that want them are either Farmers or Griefers.  All it does is open up a bunch of in-game fights about who's going to get what boss first with everyone on the server.  I can't see that being good.

Guild Leader

The Order of Sanity

Originally posted by Foxxen

Aparentl you haven't played Lineage series of games, especially L2.  They had that, all it was, was players sitting at bosses all the time camping them.  Either for one of two reasons, griefing others that tried to come in for the boss ( Remember that game was all PvP ) and or they were trying to farm it for items.  This is especially true for farming companies.  So no, I'm not at all interested in giving them any means to take advantage of a game like this and ruining it to the point all you do is log out because you're so upset it's going on.

The only open dungeon systems I've ever really enjoyed was that of DAoC, but farming companies didn't plague that game for some reason.  At least I never noticed them and I was in those PvE dungeons a lot.  Back then the player community was much stronger too.  As in we did huge dragon raids, Darkness Fall raids and had a blast.  But I'll admit, that also was as laggy as can be doing Legion at the end of DF.  The loot was hard to get anything from because of how many showed up.

I feel as far as PvE Dungeons go, they should be isntanced and maybe have one that isn't or even two, but if they were to all go Open, then it would be total mayem even standing to go into them no matter what.  Remember, they're trying to do this Mega-Server stuff that I feel is a major negative in this.  Something about it doesn't seem like it is going to work as well as they're thinking.  We'll just have to wait and see on this one.  But yeah, Open Dungeons are huge negatives and the only people that want them are either Farmers or Griefers.  All it does is open up a bunch of in-game fights about who's going to get what boss first with everyone on the server.  I can't see that being good.

But people camping bosses wont matter because the game works like GW2 in that regard, so if another group is camping a boss all it will mean is more help taking the boss down and everyone will get credit for the kill.

Originally posted by deakon
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

Abused how?

TESO is like gw2 in that there is no mob stealing. Granted the PD's in the PvP map will be contested by each faction, but thats the fun of being on a PvP map, if you dont want PvP then just stick to your factions map

Even if they do it like GW2, which I commend ArenaNet for that, it's the first time anyone has done this before ( Granted, that game is boring as can be now, not much to it honestly ), I would rather still have it instanced.  Reasons for this is I don't like lag one bit, it can be one of the biggest reasons for quitting a game because you can't enjoy it.  Lagging and having your skills not go off due to having to compete with 100+ players in the very same space as you?  Yeah, that is the kind of mass confusion I can do without.  It's bad enough when you have 2 to 4 groups of players in a raid, let alone as many as can be in on this one because of it being all ONE BIG Server!

That's the biggest negative I can come up with.  Too many players in one spot makes for a miserable experience.  Always has and always will, where it's PvE.   PvP has always been this way and that's fine, I remember doing Relic Raids in DAoC that locked up my computer due to how many came out.  My system back then was top of the line and could NOT handle that.  That had more to do with their game and graphics engine than anything else, maybe a bit of the server handling too.  Which again, brings up my concerns over this Mega Server stuff.  It might be nice to be able to be on the same server as your friends, but I am wondering how much a server setup like this can really handle.  Beta Testing doesn't count.  The only real way to test this before release would be to allow as many people that can, get on it and THEN they can see how much it can do as well see how many bugs will be involved with character handling and such...

Guild Leader

The Order of Sanity

Originally posted by deakon

But people camping bosses wont matter because the game works like GW2 in that regard, so if another group is camping a boss all it will mean is more help taking the boss down and everyone will get credit for the kill.

Doesn't matter, there is more to it than just the loot issues.  There is the total confusion and the fact that I personally do not like that aspect of steam rolling everything as well.  The point behind a game like this should be to have fun and be a challenge.  That's not a challenge and certainly is not fun after the first time doing it.  All that equates to, is ZERG the entire game and you're done and there is nothing left.  Again, bad design idea.  All this promotes is constant zerging of content.  People will be done with this game in less than a month's time if they allow that type of play all over.

Guild Leader

The Order of Sanity

Even if they do it like GW2, which I commend ArenaNet for that, it's the first time anyone has done this before ( Granted, that game is boring as can be now, not much to it honestly ), I would rather still have it instanced.  Reasons for this is I don't like lag one bit, it can be one of the biggest reasons for quitting a game because you can't enjoy it.  Lagging and having your skills not go off due to having to compete with 100+ players in the very same space as you?  Yeah, that is the kind of mass confusion I can do without.  It's bad enough when you have 2 to 4 groups of players in a raid, let alone as many as can be in on this one because of it being all ONE BIG Server!

That's the biggest negative I can come up with.  Too many players in one spot makes for a miserable experience.  Always has and always will, where it's PvE.   PvP has always been this way and that's fine, I remember doing Relic Raids in DAoC that locked up my computer due to how many came out.  My system back then was top of the line and could NOT handle that.  That had more to do with their game and graphics engine than anything else, maybe a bit of the server handling too.  Which again, brings up my concerns over this Mega Server stuff.  It might be nice to be able to be on the same server as your friends, but I am wondering how much a server setup like this can really handle.  Beta Testing doesn't count.  The only real way to test this before release would be to allow as many people that can, get on it and THEN they can see how much it can do as well see how many bugs will be involved with character handling and such...

Megaserver should solve this tho, as soon as too many are in a particular PD it wil more than likely instance off another version of that PD same as it will with zones.

I do think the game should have instanced dungeons and raids too tho, as its the only way to garuntee challenging PvE content, because, as GW2 has shown, public content will mainly be delt with by a massive zerg with very little skill envolved

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
       My wish is for different servers. I don't think one mega server is going to cut it. The lag alone will be crazy. Plus I want different styles of servers. like PVP, PVE, Roleplay, etc.
    Pve
    I can just wander off and find stuff
    It's not in incrementally harder areas, I want to avoid big feck off giants on my low level character while going to fight some undead or bandits, like wise I want to 1 shot wolves and stuff on the way when I'm big enough to go fight a hagraven coven.
    It's not dominated by raiding

Crafting
    Crafting is important, you can craft stuff as good as drops or better, its not just something you do to support raiding (like wow / flasks)
    you use soul gems and such just like the original.

Ava
    Is more oldschool like daoc and planetside and less new school like gw2 and war and even more less like tsw / rift or lol swtor
    Also wouldn't mind a mordred ruleset server and I think it would be a good idea if they put in a coop server so they don't get whine about "why can't I team up with my nord friend on my khajit" from pure pveers.

Having both the alternate server rulesets from daoc would solve the biggest moan I see from tes single player fans on these forums "why can't I go anywhere?", ffa ruleset for those mainly into pvp, coop ruleset for those mainly into pve.

The things I worry over is that I'd hate to see this turn into a GW2 type of game.  GW2 does not impress me all that much, which I knew it wouldn't anyway.  GW originally was not all that great of a PvE game to begin with because that was not their primary focus.  Don't get me wrong, I still had fun in it, but it was their PvP that made that game popular.  Same with GW2.  The thing they introduced into the MMO world of not having to worry about loot based off of kills on a particular NPC out in the open is a double edged sword.

It allows everyone to zerg the entire content if that is what they wish, except for their dungeons.  Those are instanced.  However, when I'm leveling, I don't like having people zerg the single NPC I'm fighting just because they'll get loot from it.  Worst part is, they may get it and I wont.  When I am out soloing, I would rather it be just that, me against a NPC or two, three at once.  However many I feel up to handling alone.  Then seeing if I really have the skills to pull that off and survive it.  With GW2?  I could pull the entire zone practically and not worry because so many around me are going to jump in.  That defeats any and all challenges in the game for me, makes it pretty much easy-mode.  So I've found I don't like it.

Flipside is, even when it's not like GW2, people tend to do that, even when they don't get credit for it.  So I can see why GW2 went this direction, but that game lacks challenge at all.  SWTOR same way, lacks any real challenge.  RIFT, even worse, no challenge.  WoW since Lich King, not a challenge.  The way I measure this, if I can get a character, to max level, in less than 10 days played time with full crafting as well and then raid ready to top it off?  That was not a challenge.  1 to 70 in WoW on a Shaman, 8.5 days played with full leather working.  Just over a month in SWTOR?  I had several level 50's, 2 of which were in T1 and 2 raid gear and the rest raid ready.  8 slots done like that in less than two months.  No challenge.  I was bored quite quickly without even trying.

That is why I'm getting so let down by MMO's lately.  Sad to say this one I feel is my last one.  I seriously get tired of wasting my hard earned money on a game and finding it has a shorter life span than some single stand alone games. I'm still holding on to faith with this one however, no matter what.  The downside for me is I want to play a wood elf and looks like due to my guild I'll not be able to.  Because of how they set up factions.  Personally I would have let people pick their race, level in their homeland zones, then after a certain point, they'd have to pick their side.  Because we all know even the stand alone games from the ES series, there was no race that stuck to their own.  There were those that didn't not agree with their own people and joined the other side all the time.  I felt that shouldn't have been any different for us.  But I also would see it as this, if you did make that choice, it's permanent, no going back.

Anyway, I do enjoy this conversation.  Normally when you talk about such aspects of a game online you're typically met with some rather child like behavior and this has been anything but close to that.  Glad to see there are some level headed people still out in the gaming world.  Because I can tell you from the years of being online, not just in games, it is rare...

Guild Leader

The Order of Sanity