Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"What if Disney gave YOU the decision to choose the developer of the next Star Wars MMORP...who woul

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

So... What if.. Disney gave YOU the decision to choose the developer of the next Star Wars MMORP...who would you choose?

Consider your options and post what studio your choice would be... or even what key talents in the gaming industry :)

It's fun to dream...

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• GrunchGrunch Member Posts: 493
    Electronic Arts. Mainly because they have a really great track record with mmorpgs. :D

"I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by Grunch
    Electronic Arts. Mainly because they have a really great track record with mmorpgs. :D

lol... thanks for the troll... they aren't developers ;) they're a publishing company.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

1st reply 1st troll

this thread starts very bad

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Valve

Let's internet

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Goofy.
  • AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 274

I would have to say either keep it in house since they also got the gaming section of LA or at a out side SOE (.

Do not thing the others (EA, Funcom, Bizzard) could make the game fun to play.  Blizzard might be able to do it if SOE or in house production are rejected.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If they dropped it in my lap, I'd say, "These things don't make money, don't make an MMORPG out of it."

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GrunchGrunch Member Posts: 493
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Goofy.

If they had Goofy do it then it would never meet its release date. Mickey is really the only one responisble enough to complete a project of this calibur. Everyone knows Donald has anger issues so he would create a hostile environment in the office.

"I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Vigil.

• LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223
    i would give it trion worlds inc (rift, defiance, eon) but only if i can do the game concept ....
  • IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292
    No one. I'd let the poor thing finally die and find its peace.  ;_;

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Acornia

I would have to say either keep it in house since they also got the gaming section of LA or at a out side SOE (.

Do not thing the others (EA, Funcom, Bizzard) could make the game fun to play.  Blizzard might be able to do it if SOE or in house production are rejected.

I'm going to go with this. ^^

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• sleepr27sleepr27 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Probabaly trion, because they've built a great game with a low budget and continue to provide a great service. I can only image what they would do with a 200 million budget.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Not going to happen.  Two studios have already attempted making a SW MMO.  Neither did well.

Sadly, I think TOR will be the last attempt made (at least for the next ten years).

Might as well discuss a different IP.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by defector1968

1st reply 1st troll

this thread starts very bad

but their nasty  tentacles with dollar signs mold the game the way they want to be, which make them a developer corrupter, or in other words, they are in indirect form of developer.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Goofy.

If they had Goofy do it then it would never meet its release date. Mickey is really the only one responisble enough to complete a project of this calibur. Everyone knows Donald has anger issues so he would create a hostile environment in the office.

While I see your point, at least you can concede that Goofy would still be an improvement from what we've had.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    CCP ~ with their sandbox chops and that sexy WoD engine of theirs... where do I send money?

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Goofy.

While I see your point, at least you can concede that Goofy would still be an improvement from what we've had.

You two are both wrong. Only Scrooge McDuck would be the right person. At least it will be a huge financial success.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Id give it back  to Bioware.  Id also give them unlimited budget, unlimited time and stay out of their way.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I would want a sandbox with hardcore pvp.  I think Star Wars is to diverse to waste away as a themepark.  I also agree that two server types would be best, pve and pvp.  There's not many companies that have done a good job with a sandbox having owpvp.  I love Darkfall, but the only that slows Darkfall down is the bad company behind it.  Loved SWG, but SOE ruined it....so with that said, i'd have to say the best fit to me would be:

1.  CCP-Had kept Eve alive in wel even during the run of the themeparks, yet keeping their game a true sandbox with hardcore pvp.

2.  NCSoft-Lineage2 has had its ups and downs, but its one of the longest running mmos.  If they could figure out a way to stop cheaters, as it seemsin all their games its easy to bot....then they could be great with all the updates they do for their games.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by grimal

Not going to happen.  Two studios have already attempted making a SW MMO.  Neither did well.

Sadly, I think TOR will be the last attempt made (at least for the next ten years).

Might as well discuss a different IP.

there is a new SW trilogy comming in next years so im see it coming

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Disney makes the worst games on the market bub, also, no need to even think about this as it is never going to happen.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if it happened.  So many are dying for another SWG type of game, SWTOR was a poor attempt...theres a big market out there if hte game is done right.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I'd say Trion is indeed pretty impressive... I think my choice, kind of surprisingly would be....

SOE : Yes, they messed up SWG but I think there were a LOT of lessons learned and quite honestly plenty of people LOVED SWG for what it wanted to be.  The game was far too ambitious for its time and unfortunately, as they were trying to do a lot that hadn't been done, they made a lot of missteps.  Also, it was a call by Lucas camp to 'WoW' up SWG, not SOE.

I do think SOE now is getting the right idea especially based on this article: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/11/future-of-mmo-games/ - they're understanding the importance of emergent gaming.  I think they have the chops to pull off something great (and look forward to what they're going to do with EverQuest Next).

They bring with them a LOT of lessons learned in the industry and I think if Disney decided to back them, they could make something really awesome...

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Sigil Games..

They don't exist anymore, but I thought Vanguard was a very legit attempt at making a sorta hyrbrid mix of token mmo features with strong immerisve world features..

The community may not have given them the kudos they deserved, but until Microsoft crapped on em and Sony rushed them out the door, they had a gem on their hands and I give them kudos for trying..

So if they wanted to try and create a Star Wars game like SWG where you are actually PART of the universe, then Brad and his old school team could more than likely make it happen..