Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR is a travesty of greed!!

During beta testing all of us testers were complaining to the Dev team that thier was not enouph content.  We also complained that the space part of the game was a joke.  They never responded to our complaints.  I think they knew this game was being created just to get millions of dollars from the Star Wars fans as fast as they could.  If the game did not last they didnt care because they got thier investment back plus millions of dollars.  SWG was closed to make sure the fans only had one choice.  Now that its failing they decide to go FTP so they can get even more money out of the SW fans.  After they have made as much money as they can they will close the servers!!  I wouldnt be surprised if they brought back a new and improved SWG so they can get even more money from the SW fans!!!

Comments

• DarksixDarksix Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by RexGarvin
    During beta testing all of us testers were complaining to the Dev team that thier was not enouph content.  We also complained that the space part of the game was a joke.  They never responded to our complaints.  I think they knew this game was being created just to get millions of dollars from the Star Wars fans as fast as they could.  If the game did not last they didnt care because they got thier investment back plus millions of dollars.  SWG was closed to make sure the fans only had one choice.  Now that its failing they decide to go FTP so they can get even more money out of the SW fans.  After they have made as much money as they can they will close the servers!!  I wouldnt be surprised if they brought back a new and improved SWG so they can get even more money from the SW fans!!!

"I wouldnt be surprised if they brought back a new and improved SWG so they can get even more money from the SW fans!!!"

Highly unlikely but if it was pre-nge style....they would make money off me with it right away!

(PC Specs)
    AMD Phenom II 965 3.4 Quad
    8GB G-skill Ripjaw 1600mhz
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 470 1280mb
    Windows 7 64 bit

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by Darksix

"I wouldnt be surprised if they brought back a new and improved SWG so they can get even more money from the SW fans!!!"

Highly unlikely but they would make money off me with it right away!

now Disney is in the lead and has the billions for its own servers so fingers crossed

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 158

I still feel uncertain if they actually made the investment money back yet. Ok, it was something about having 500k subscribers on average first year, but that is probably counting 12 months of paying a sub, not the free month they gave away not to mention selling the game for full price alot longer, so I don't think they reached that goal. Still with all the people they fired and all cut downs they might have made the money back, but breaking even after 6y of developing is like having a big loss anyway. 

Hopefully this last desperate attempt at milking the fanboys will be over fast and the game cancelled in max 6 months.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by defector1968

now Disney is in the lead and has the billions for its own servers so fingers crossed

Would love if Disney got a new Star Wars MMORPG in the works and hopefully, put the right people in charge.

Let's be honest, I think just about everyone believed BioWare were THE RIGHT people to put in charge of a Star Wars MMORPG... unfortunately they hired people who designed for the past and made the game very single player focused as well... works decently now that it's free to play :p

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

OMG! Multi-million dollar corporations are trying to maximize profits? Call the press.

Lightbulbs burn out as fast as they do so that you have to buy them more often.

Fasst food restaurants put out products bad for your health.

There are carcinogens seeping into your food from every tuperware that's a little old.

Tobacco literally can kill you.

Video games want to make a few extra bucks a month from their player base.

Check your rage.

• Billybob2006Billybob2006 Member Posts: 47
    I gotta say I would love for SWTOR to be a successfull f2p.  I just wish the f2p model was implimented better.  I don't know how I would have done it, but restricting gear, and warzones for a f2p player just doesn't sit right with me.  The weekly passes just don't sound appealing to me.  For the f2p game though, you get a fairly solid single-player experience, not the greatest stories, but good enough.   Having to pay a sub or a weekly fee to do the pvp though kills it for me-pvp was my way to break up the grind on mostly generic and dumb side quests.  
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by DeaconX
    Would love if Disney got a new Star Wars MMORPG in the works and hopefully, put the right people in charge.

Let's be honest, I think just about everyone believed BioWare were THE RIGHT people to put in charge of a Star Wars MMORPG... unfortunately they hired people who designed for the past and made the game very single player focused as well... works decently now that it's free to play :p

Disney is in charge of the movies. That's it. Don't hold your breath for some kind of Disney miracle in the video game arena.

** edit **
    There's no indication from anyone, anywhere that Disney is going to do anything at all with SWToR. They might cancel it if it doesn't make enough money, but that's probably the only action they would take directly.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Disney is in charge of the movies. That's it. Don't hold your breath for some kind of Disney miracle in the video game arena.

Someone apparently hasn't been to the toy department in awhile.

actually Disney holds everything that name Lucas Films has and Star Wars is one of them, everything that has to do with star wars and ILM and SkyWalker sounds. GL sold everything

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN

Originally posted by Zorgo

Originally posted by DeaconX Would love if Disney got a new Star Wars MMORPG in the works and hopefully, put the right people in charge.   Let's be honest, I think just about everyone believed BioWare were THE RIGHT people to put in charge of a Star Wars MMORPG... unfortunately they hired people who designed for the past and made the game very single player focused as well... works decently now that it's free to play :p

What significant progress has Disney made in the video game arena? Zip. It's all mobile games and Facebook. This is the future for Disney. Expect nothing in regards to SWToR from Disney.

** edit **
    I did a little research between posts. I didn't realize that Disney could do something with SWToR if they wanted to. They could do something. They won't.

• LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223

fans of the star wars franchise and those of them who are into online games bought swtor right from the start. fans of the mmorpg genre were curious about swtor and because no other big game was released around december 2011 they also gave swtor a try. after a month the harcore players left, because they finished the content including all operations on every difficult level. 3 months later a whole lot of people, the regular mmog casual players left the game because their was no content left to discover and no additional feature that kept them ingame. also the time for gear grinding (pve and pvp likewise) is over, even for the casual gamers. there is only a minority of hardcore gamers left, who like to raid for gear 24/7. so in sommer 2012 only real star wars fans and some who really like this game were left.

f2p in swtor is a marketing thing, well, its mostly a marketing thing if a 'high budget pay to play title' goes that road. f2p in swtor is nothing more than a unlimited trial version with cashshop. but the cashshop and the limitations a f2p player have is a means to an end to get new players into subcriptions. the design of swtor was build on false market analysis from some suits who maybe never played a mmog before neither were into the community. how they implemented f2p into swtor only shows that the same clueless suits are pulling the strings again. their subscriptions numbers will rise, thats for sure, but by march next year they will be back on the old numbers.

Originally posted by Zorgo

Originally posted by DeaconX Would love if Disney got a new Star Wars MMORPG in the works and hopefully, put the right people in charge.   Let's be honest, I think just about everyone believed BioWare were THE RIGHT people to put in charge of a Star Wars MMORPG... unfortunately they hired people who designed for the past and made the game very single player focused as well... works decently now that it's free to play :p
    What significant progress has Disney made in the video game arena? Zip. It's all mobile games and Facebook. This is the future for Disney. Expect nothing in regards to SWToR from Disney.

** edit **
    I did a little research between posts. I didn't realize that Disney could do something with SWToR if they wanted to. They could do something. They won't.

we mostly discuss for disney to do a new SW MMO in future, since announce the new movies, the SW IP is still strong,

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Disney is not going to make a new SW MMO.  Both SW MMOs have not performed well.  

They are going to make more movies.  The prequels, despite poor critical reception, did make a ton of money. 

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Was it announced the game is closing Down? From what I have seen 100s of thousands still play. If peoplle don't like the FTP model then either don't play or get a subscription.  People who are playing a demo for free and complain are just silly.

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Zorgo Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by DeaconX Would love if Disney got a new Star Wars MMORPG in the works and hopefully, put the right people in charge.   Let's be honest, I think just about everyone believed BioWare were THE RIGHT people to put in charge of a Star Wars MMORPG... unfortunately they hired people who designed for the past and made the game very single player focused as well... works decently now that it's free to play :p
    What significant progress has Disney made in the video game arena? Zip. It's all mobile games and Facebook. This is the future for Disney. Expect nothing in regards to SWToR from Disney. ** edit ** I did a little research between posts. I didn't realize that Disney could do something with SWToR if they wanted to. They could do something. They won't.  
    we mostly discuss for disney to do a new SW MMO in future, since announce the new movies, the SW IP is still strong,

Don't hold your breath. One under performing sandbox and one under performing theme park and many well performing single player games should be enough indication that MMORPG is not the way to go with a story heavy franchise.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Makes me laff that you guys see Disney and dream of SWG II...

You need to be looking at the new Marvel MMO in al honsty, because that with a SW skin is what you will get, especially if that game makes money.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    We wont see another AAA star wars mmo for a very long time, Both SWG and SWTOR failed pretty hard (even pre nge/cu), so investers arent going to be very forthcoming.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Makes me laugh that you guys see Disney and think SWG II...

edited slightly:).

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Learn to be a fan of well made mmos and not IPs and you'll be happier.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    They lost me at charging for hotbars.
  • n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496
    Originally posted by mnwild1998
    The gamers who whine, cry and have this notion of entitlement that they should get everything for free are a travesty to mmos and show the travesty of where our society is going. Stop eating at mcDs twice a week and BAM there is your $14.99/month and you get eveverything.

Why? The junk food that you eat at McDonalds is of better quality than the half made semi f2p game. Your money is better spent there imho.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by mnwild1998
    The gamers who whine, cry and have this notion of entitlement that they should get everything for free are a travesty to mmos and show the travesty of where our society is going. Stop eating at mcDs twice a week and BAM there is your $14.99/month and you get eveverything.

Cutting into a persons food budget is never a good example.  So sit at home and eat cold soup.  Cold because you need to save those pennies to play a ho-hum graphically bad MMO, with little to no hope of ever fixing the cruddy low fps graphic engine, by a company that has little to no concept of what content updates should be...

Alrighty then..

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.