Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: The Lost Shores

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

After this past weekend's Lost Shores event in Guild Wars 2, we have a lot to say about how it went and what we thought. See if you agree and then leave us your thoughts about ArenaNet's latest in-game event in the comments.

The event kicked off with a large battle right in Lion’s Arch, a place players thought would always be a safe haven.  A new type of enemy, known as the Karka, began to invade Lion’s Arch.  Players heard the call of duty and rushed in to try and keep the invaders at bay.  This was a bit tough as these new enemies were very resistant to weapons and magics.  But the will of the players was enough to stop a full invasion of Lion’s Arch.  What a way to kick things off! 

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: The Lost Shores.

Don’t take on the Karka alone!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    The map was too small, the Karka were oversized crabs(boring), and the landscape of the island lacked originality as well. Overall I consider the event a fail. That's not even taking into consideration about the huge bugs.
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    I liked the event but for me it was just an introduction to an amazing content patch. So i would be just as happy if they wouldn't bother with the event.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    The first 2 comments should show how polarized MMO players are on this forum. You either hated the event or liked it. There doesn't seem to be any in between opinions. I have non because I ws leveling my character - I tried the new dungeon which was hard but original.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Overall, I'd say the event was a massive failure.  I bet they lost more customers than they gained, due to all the issues.  Maybe if the new content were more impressive, that might have offset the problems of the event, but it's pretty minimal and lackluster.  It seems blatantly unfinished or something.

Really, I can't understand how anyone could call the event a success.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

I will admit it sucked when things got buggy on phase 2 because I didnt even get to finish the event chain but did get to do the Ancient Karka fight. The Dungeon is not to bad tried it right when they opened it and got a grp right away and jumped in we got to difficulty 3 and I had to leave the rewards where good dungeons where thinker dungeons for some and just fun for others.

The most fun I had over the weekend was Sunday when my 11 yr old Daughter jumped on here Sylvari Ele and we marched on the the Lost Shores final event the first time my daughter had trouble stopping playing the game but her mother needed the other pc so she had to leave right at the final push of the Ancient Karka to the bottum of its home for the final fight but she sat and watched the rest of the event from behind me and jumped for joy when the final blow happened was kinda fun to play with her.

The final fight was not to hard and had a nice little cinematic where the Karka fell into the lava  then the chest showed up and it had some precursers for legendary in it which I did not know it was until later so I kept the 2 named items I got for later one a shield of the dream my sylvari had which now I am going to hold onto for my futrue sylvari toon I have planned.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    The map was too small (in my opinion), the Karka were oversized crabs(boring) (in my opinion), and the landscape of the island lacked originality as well (in my opinion). Overall I consider the event a fail. That's not even taking into consideration about the huge bugs.

Fixed that for you.

Personally, I loved it and am a satisfied customer not having paid a nickle for a whole weekend of world-spanning events and another one or two months of getting to know the new zone and dungeon. Both of which I find aesthetically very pleasing and well thought out.

And my fingers itch for whatever's to come next. (thanksgiving and christmas events to come... boy howdie!)

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Indrome
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    The map was too small (in my opinion), the Karka were oversized crabs(boring) (in my opinion), and the landscape of the island lacked originality as well (in my opinion). Overall I consider the event a fail. That's not even taking into consideration about the huge bugs.

Fixed that for you.

Personally, I loved it and am a satisfied customer not having paid a nickle for a whole weekend of world-spanning events and another one or two months of getting to know the new zone and dungeon. Both of which I find aesthetically very pleasing and well thought out.

And my fingers itch for whatever's to come next. (thanksgiving and christmas events to come... boy howdie!)

Of course it was his opinion.  I never understand people like you who have to have it spelled out otherwise you just don't get it.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

some ppl lag (crap connection) some didnt

some ppl get precursors some didnt (and got rage on forums)

some ppl DC at the end (crap pcs) some didnt

thats why

some ppl hated it and some ppl loved it

in my opinion the zone is good, karkas hit very hard so i dont see these bots will survive there much

zone have orichalcum and ancient wood nodes (theres a rich orichaclum on top of karka hive)

new chain events

2 jumping puzzles one is hard enough that make ppl cry like the mad king tower :)

new ranger pet

and the new dungeons that contain 9 mini dungeons :)

ohh and the new craftable and mystic forge recipes

but in the end we all know who didnt enjoyed the event it was all these ppl that i mentioned above

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256

Phase 1 of the event was so boring and dull(the invasion), i didn't even bother to follow the later steps and didn't even log-in for the rest of the weekend.

BTW, do they have to destroy at least one landmark in every event? Is there some kind of threshold for that?

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Of course it was his opinion.  I never understand people like you who have to have it spelled out otherwise you just don't get it.

Oh come on, be nice. Having a little fun with ragers (most of what he said I found was uncalled for, so leave me to MY opinion) can't give you THAT much of a crawl up the spine. °O

People need to learn how to mark statements as opinion. If they can't do it when no one cares how would they know how to do it when it counts?

Originally posted by black_isle

[ ... ]

BTW, do they have to destroy at least one landmark in every event? Is there some kind of threshold for that?

Finding stuff to complain about should be a marketable skill. xD

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    The event was awesome but the rewards from the chest varied between 1g to 300g. Most people got a named exotic and other got total shit.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

I loved the event

- 3 Days massive buildup

- 2.5 hours massive battle , where hundreds of players had to work together

- Participated in one time historic even that will never happen again

- Got some cool loot ( i was bit unlucky , but many people got precursors and 20 slots bags )

- Introduction to brand new area

---

So some laged a bit and got disconnected. Big deal

Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    The event was awesome but the rewards from the chest varied between 1g to 300g. Most people got a named exotic and other got total shit.

Hence random loot - and luck

I got shit stuff. But heck. Thats the game, isnt it ?

Its not last event

• gambe1gambe1 Member UncommonPosts: 123

It was a fail event. Lag was unberable, disconnections didn't help either. We were just about to finish with reinforcements when i got dceed, and been thrown to some other overflow where they didn't even started killing them yet. It was dull, boring and frustrating. After another dc i just stayed offline. 

I love new instance but final karka event was just lame.

• LexStrikerLexStriker Member Posts: 29

I am sorry, but I am really disappointed in ANet over this Event. I do not know what game the author of this article was playing, but it was not the same as what I was. The ANet Forums are filled with 'no-go' posts [over 800 from last I looked], and the CC person at ANet had 'accidently' deleted a 500+ post thread prior to the one mentioned above. There were a few positive posts, but the negatives were overwelming. Most were complaining about lag, rewards not being enough and not being given, the one-time nature that left many non-Americans unable to participate, and the Event not providing enough information as to what was going on and where to go to be involved. This was really a poorly implemented Event and ANet has nothing to be proud about over this.

I just hope that ANet learns from CCP and admits what they did was bad, and then do what they are able to do to makeup and fix GW2. I do not know why gaming companies have this thing about 'new content'. Without fixing the old bugs, all one does is create new content with the same old bugs.

I am waiting for a full apology from ANet management. Until they admit to their failings of this weekend and move to fix 'all' the major issues with GW2, then they will not get one more cent for gems from me. I use to believe that ANet was the premier game producer, based mostly on GW1. Now, I am concerned that something has happened here and hope this is not a sign of things to come. GW2 is a great game... I just hope it does not go the way of Aion.

To make things worse, this was a free trial weekend to gain new players. From the feedback on the ANet forums, that did not go over well with either.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    The complaining here is justified, and it really should be making you all wonder why you even play anymore.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Most players want to have things handed to them - 'HERE IS YOUR UBER ITEMS TO PAWN EVERYONE!' People should know that a one time event would equal lag. I mean in RIft - I always lagged in events on Ember Island (although the optimization of the engine is non-exsistant - sad for a game out 1.5 years).

People should have expected lag - LAG = HUGE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Overall event was a sucess.

I missed phase 1.

Phase 2 - was fun, exciting NPC buggin' expected=  when you arrived in the Island and zerged the Karkas was pretty fun!

Phase 3- was an Epic event, very long ( VERY LONG) but worth the rewards at the end.

the NPC bugs were a bit anoying- but my guild kept us well informed. i could see how  it would affect solo players running around trying to figure whats down whats not.

This zone feels very empty giving you a sense of beign marooned- which people who dont understand the game and lore will see it as lack of content.

the winner in all this?- Fractals of the Myst! and sPvp map!

I chuckled how some people where QQin how hard it was not finding things like in  Blizzard games. apparently Blizzard did a good job on turning mmo players lazy.

• teotiusteotius Member UncommonPosts: 100

I was just fine, but guy next to me screaming "LAAG LAAAG LAAG OMFG *ÄÄDÖAÖD EVENT"

Maybe its in your end? 

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I don't understand how a bad event equals player loss.  Are gamers so shallow and easily shaken that one bad event makes them rage quit?  Between that and a City of Steam bug that prevented me from testing, my gaming weekend was sort of scrambled.

Special events and new content can be a great way to reduce the normal player loss of people getting bored and moving on.  It's also a great way to drum up new hype, getting new players to try the game out.  If an event goes poorly, it fails to do either of those things.  

Nobody's going to do a 180 because of stuff like this, but players that were thinking about moving on, hoping the new content would give them reason to stay?  They can definitely end up quitting even sooner, due to the frustration and disappointment.  They also had a lot of people trying the game for the first time, due to the trial, and have gotta be kicking themselves over how that went over.

Players that are thrilled with the game as it is, though?  Yeah, of course any new content is just a bonus, to them.  Players like that are sticking around no matter what, though.  It's just good business sense to focus more on those that would be swayed one way or the other, than those that have their minds made up.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Originally posted by Rockniss
    The complaining here is justified, and it really should be making you all wonder why you even play anymore.

I guess it is a hope that things will turn around. Hopefully, all the negative feedback will get ANet's management to rethink how GW2 design is progressing and make sure something like this does not happen again. As I said, GW2 is a great game... there are many positive things about it. Is it a ground breaking next step in MMOG's?... no. However, it is beautiful and its gameplay is good. I do not like everything, but I do like most of it. As time goes on, I am hoping GW2 will mature into what it is capable of being (especially crafting and the Trading Post, which I think was seriously oversold). We will see.

Originally posted by LexStriker

I guess it is a hope that things will turn around. Hopefully, all the negative feedback will get ANet's management to rethink how GW2 design is progressing and make sure something like this does not happen again. As I said, GW2 is a great game... there are many positive things about it. Is it a ground breaking next step in MMOG's?... no. However, it is beautiful and its gameplay is good. I do not like everything, but I do like most of it. As time goes on, I am hoping GW2 will mature into what it is capable of being (especially crafting and the Trading Post, which I think was seriously oversold). We will see.

This is real sad. Because this (and previous events) is something really unique in todays MMO gaming. And I enjoyed it very much for all it was worth and despite all the bugs.

[mod edit]

Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Originally posted by LexStriker

This is real sad. Because this (and previous events) is something really unique in todays MMO gaming. And I enjoyed it very much for all it was worth and despite all the bugs.

[mod edit]

We all have a right to our own opinions based on our experiences. This was mine. If it upset you, then I am sorry. But I stand by my words.

[mod edit]

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I did all 3 parts of the event.

To summarize, for those that missed it:

Day 1:

Karka invade Lion's Arch - zerg for 10 minutes, the Ancient Karka appears, then *POOF* - event over, all karka disappear.

Followed by buggy scavenger hunt that I couldn't complete

Followed by fractal running, where I kept getting stuck in map geography or someone would die or someone would disconnect - never able to actually finish L1 over 5 runs, but I got a handful of whatever those tokens are for....

Day 2:
    Karka invade Lion's Arch - zerg for 10 minutes, the Ancient Karka appears, then *POOF* - event over, all karka disappear. This time there is some buff you can get that supposedly helps, and some temporary weapons you can carry around. Oh, and there's a trebuchet in Lion's Arch - it doesn't do anything though.

By "affecting the enemy and seeing their armor melt off" = kill them once, they lose a bit of their crab covering, then you kill them again. Yup, their health bar just refills and their model changes slightly. It sounds ~way~ more impressive than it really is.

Followed by 25 minutes of standing around the dock wondering WTF while NPC's tell us to "wait for the ships" - only to have an NPC show up with a magical teleportation ability.

Then we finally get to the island - yay!. It's... uneventful. yay. A mostly broken "rebuild the roads" event, with a few other typical zone-wide events that mostly worked.

Day 3:
    Massive Karka siege. 2.5 hours of constant zerging against often invisible enemies with massive AOE attacks that wipe the entire zerg. Several times.

Seriously, the event probably wasn't bad, but because of the number of players, maybe 25% of the time could you actually see anything to attack. More often than not it was "Oh, I'm dead again - ooooo now the poison pool loads". If you stuck around you got a Rich Ori node and a chest with some spiffy stuff to flood the market with.

All in all - I really like GW2, but this event, and to have their "Free Trial Weekend" for - was not really fun, was extremely frustrating with all the bugs and glitches, and really I hated the event. I hope fractals gets patched to be playable, the new L80 map without Risen is very welcome, but the event was very poorly done.

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165

"Overall, the Lost Shores was another successful event"

Kidding right?