Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Haven't people grown tired of this yet?

LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648

I can date this game back to Quake and Quake 2.  Heck, I'll go as far as the Dooms too.

It amazes me that with all the technology available, the programming they can do, instead of trying to make games look, act and feel more realistic (even if they are sci-fi) they create half-assed reasons to keep the same rediculous effects.  Jet packs!  Cloaking!  Hover craft!  Meh.....

This game is all flash and no substance.

The effects are bright... almost in-your-face type of bright, along with the colors.  The graphics are pretty but in all honesty, what serious gamer plays an MMO for pretty graphics?  Hell, 90% of the time I turn down every graphic setting possible to maximize fps in every scenerio possible, and remove distractions like leaves blowing and blades of grass that hide the enemy.

I can run indefinetly... forever.  Which is great consdering most of my time in game has been spent running around for miles.  Not so great considering this is supposed to be a "first person shooter", not "first person runner".

The vehicles are... huh... what was that?  Oh look I died again by a big bright explosion falling out of the sky somewehere.  Really, there's almost no rhyme or reason to any of the vehicle based action in this game.  It's all so haphazard.  A random tank drives down the road and blows you away or you fly your hover-thingy too close to a base and get knocked out of the sky by someone, somewhere firing something at you.

Recoil on the guns just seems... off.  The guns just seem to randomly recoil in any direction they feel like for no particular reason.  This might be a side effect of being a super-human human that has the ability to never get tired, never slow down, never pause, and run around like a kid on a sugar rush drinking a  6 pack of Red Bull.

Really, why are these games still being made in this day and age?  (Insert old man voice) When I was a kid (in the 80's) we dreamed about the days games would be more realistic than just big, blocky pixels on a screen and an A and B button to control them.  The 90's came around and then we were dreaming about what more processing power could do in the games we already had; adding more depth to them.  The 2000's came around and... they scrapped the depth and just kept adding more and more to the eye-candy.

There are other games that do what PS2 does, but better.  Battlefield 1942 - recall that one?  Yep, a much better game.  At least you didn't have to wade your way through flashy laoding screens, reading equipment descriptions that might as well be written in a foreign language, trying to decipher the little hex locations on a map and act like you give a damn about the crappy back-story someone slapped together in their sleep.  A boat was a boat.  A plane was a plane.  They shoot, you die.  Bullets travel from point A to point B when fired.  There was no wondering what weapons did what, what type fo vehicle was comign at you from what direction (since they all sound the same and can be heard from miles away in PS2) who was firing at you with what weapon and how to turn around to see where the red arrows pointing at the damage were coming from and defying gravity in an inverted roll, colliding with another hovering thing on your own team and crashing to the ground.

There was even a really low-quality game that came out on Gamestorm (Mythic's first venture into online gaming) called Aliens Online.  We're talking about software powered 3d effects, no even close to today's standads.  But that game had "atmosphere".  All the guns felt and handled like you would expect.  Damage occurred where you would shoot.  And spawning as an Alien face-hugger actually made you feel like you were an Alien face-hugger - camera presective, special effects and sounds.

Fifteen years later we now have Planetside 2, ignoring all of the in-depth (and important in my mind) details and lessons games like those had and just going for the flashy facade.  This game feels like it's still trying to cater to and capitalize off of the Quake and Unreal fans & franchises.  Explaing away all of those pesky little physics details they couldn't get down in those games as "It's Sci Fi!".

The irony is, games that embrace their shortcomings and realize how cheezy that twitch-based first person shooter gameplay is, are actually more fun than this one.  Team Fortress 2, for instance, represents the perfect style game to use this gameplay.  The funny part is, it's relatively simple and easy to understand compared to this game; easy to learn, difficult to master.

Planetside 2 has been done, ad nauseam, for nearly 20 years now.  Time to put down the bat, stop beating a dead horse and actually move on and progress.

Comments

• binkusbinkus Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by Lerxst

I can date this game back to Quake and Quake 2.  Heck, I'll go as far as the Dooms too.

It amazes me that with all the technology available, the programming they can do, instead of trying to make games look, act and feel more realistic (even if they are sci-fi) they create half-assed reasons to keep the same rediculous effects.  Jet packs!  Cloaking!  Hover craft!  Meh.....

The effects are bright... almost in-your-face type of bright, along with the colors.  The graphics are pretty but in all honesty, what serious gamer plays an MMO for pretty graphics?  Hell, 90% of the time I turn down every graphic setting possible to maximize fps in every scenerio possible, and remove distractions like leaves blowing and blades of grass that hide the enemy.

I can run indefinetly... forever.  Which is great consdering most of my time in game has been spent running around for miles.  Not so great considering this is supposed to be a "first person shooter", not "first person runner".

The vehicles are... huh... what was that?  Oh look I died again by a big bright explosion falling out of the sky somewehere.  Really, there's almost no rhyme or reason to any of the vehicle based action in this game.  It's all so haphazard.  A random tank drives down the road and blows you away or you fly your hover-thingy too close to a base and get knocked out of the sky by someone, somewhere firing something at you.

Recoil on the guns just seems... off.  The guns just seem to randomly recoil in any direction they feel like for no particular reason.  This might be a side effect of being a super-human human that has the ability to never get tired, never slow down, never pause, and run around like a kid on a sugar rush drinking a  6 pack of Red Bull.

Really, why are these games still being made in this day and age?  (Insert old man voice) When I was a kid (in the 80's) we dreamed about the days games would be more realistic than just big, blocky pixels on a screen and an A and B button to control them.  The 90's came around and then we were dreaming about what more processing power could do in the games we already had; adding more depth to them.  The 2000's came around and... they scrapped the depth and just kept adding more and more to the eye-candy.

There are other games that do what PS2 does, but better.  Battlefield 1942 - recall that one?  Yep, a much better game.  At least you didn't have to wade your way through flashy laoding screens, reading equipment descriptions that might as well be written in a foreign language, trying to decipher the little hex locations on a map and act like you give a damn about the crappy back-story someone slapped together in their sleep.  A boat was a boat.  A plane was a plane.  They shoot, you die.  Bullets travel from point A to point B when fired.  There was no wondering what weapons did what, what type fo vehicle was comign at you from what direction (since they all sound the same and can be heard from miles away in PS2) who was firing at you with what weapon and how to turn around to see where the red arrows pointing at the damage were coming from and defying gravity in an inverted roll, colliding with another hovering thing on your own team and crashing to the ground.

There was even a really low-quality game that came out on Gamestorm (Mythic's first venture into online gaming) called Aliens Online.  We're talking about software powered 3d effects, no even close to today's standads.  But that game had "atmosphere".  All the guns felt and handled like you would expect.  Damage occurred where you would shoot.  And spawning as an Alien face-hugger actually made you feel like you were an Alien face-hugger - camera presective, special effects and sounds.

Fifteen years later we now have Planetside 2, ignoring all of the in-depth (and important in my mind) details and lessons games like those had and just going for the flashy facade.  This game feels like it's still trying to cater to and capitalize off of the Quake and Unreal fans & franchises.  Explaing away all of those pesky little physics details they couldn't get down in those games as "It's Sci Fi!".

The irony is, games that embrace their shortcomings and realize how cheezy that twitch-based first person shooter gameplay is, are actually more fun than this one.  Team Fortress 2, for instance, represents the perfect style game to use this gameplay.  The funny part is, it's relatively simple and easy to understand compared to this game; easy to learn, difficult to master.

Planetside 2 has been done, ad nauseam, for nearly 20 years now.  Time to put down the bat, stop beating a dead horse and actually move on and progress.

Substance? For a solely pvp game is a strange one, as it is far more a sandbox that a set story line.

You are obviously new to Planetside, which is a good thing, I am not, and a huge fan of Planetside 1, but only a moderate fan of number 2

Firstly it has a vast learning curve, so don’t expect to gank everything you can from the first minute

A lot of your comments are down to learning the game

Running, be grateful you can run, long and hard for super fit future soldiers I am uncertain what you gauge as a reasonable distance for them to cover. It is a large battlefield.

You can get into combat very quickly with vehicles and drop pod instant action. Again play with the game before running up some ill-educated forum posts, although I appreciate it is new and only days away from finalising Beta

Agree on several of your points never stop moving unless you want to get shot.

this game is the only one of its kind, and with your distaste aside, you have never played them, I am a gamer who has been around for a while and I can tell you with the games I have played (and i am more a knight and goblin gamer than a shooter) Planetside 1 was the best game i have ever had the pleasure to play, for sheer atmosphere and utter joy of playing. if they can capture than in PS2 they will have the greatest shooter of all time. The community was excellent and the play /fun were unequalled. From my first games on my acorn electron to ps1 there has never been its equal.

'These' games are unique to have an open battle field rather than 20 vs. 20 etc., is a totally different beast to any of the battlefield games. However I agree they have lost a lot of stuff by not bringing player involvement from PS1 over to PS2 like battle rank and cert gain, backpack/loot and base design is disastrously bad in PS2.

My bugbears with this game and trying my hardest to ignore my bias about the original, is that a new players can jump in any tank/plane he wants from the drop.

The game is in real danger of becoming pay2win

Base design was done by SpongeBob on acid for sheer play and defence of said bases

My thoughts on PS2 like you said it has been done before, point shoot and hope you win

however you miss a major point to this new version, the squad is everything, this is a totally social game, in BF#### you may never see those players again, in this you will see your buddies again you will be standing side by side with them if you choose to and they can always be making new buddies and comrades from the many new faces around you, then introduce them to your existing buddies.

It has taken loads from the recent shooter market; I will give you this and frankly has taken some really bad aspects about player development and cert gains which let it down horribly from being a serious game. It is now some sort of console achievement junkie style levelling mechanic which I find soul destroying.

PS1 had the real deal for mmorpgfps this is just a mmofps - RPG

You are wrong about beating a dead horse this is the future of shooters, in sheer scale and involvement, this is the new kid on the block

However they are not listening to the old PS vets instead they are being lead down the wrong track by people who think that they know what will sell this game. They are only selling it for a few months rather than giving it the hugely long-term appeal it could have

to sum up PS2 is very good and will be huge! however i personally fear for the longterm and the lack of the real game they ignored from PS1. 

nerf scissors! rock is fine...
    yours paper

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

I remember saying almost the same thing to myself about BF 1942.

PS2 felt like a slightly prettier, but not quite as smooth version of BF 1942 in on an MMO server.

At that game was put out when?

I did enjoy large networked games of BF 1942 with the various expansions more than PS2 frankly.

It is not that PS2 is bad, it is just more of the same.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Anyone saying that we have plenty of games like Planetside 2, CLEARLY needs their medical check STAT.

Off ya go!

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Well since PS2 is basically PS1 reskinned, yes I grew tired of it 10 years ago.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    I agree with the OP! The new Trion game looks to be the same way with a twist.
  • skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

realism, video games...i loled...good read.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

Wait, so PS2 caters to Quake and Unreal fans? Sweet! Good to see something other than Call of Honor 17: Battlefield Ops 6. Don't get me wrong, I love the older Battlefield games (Upset that Battlefield Vietnam didn't get an expansionimage) but variantion would do the market well when it's flooded with CoD and other such modern military shooters.

There are two points of a video game, art and entertainment. If they start going for nothing but realism we would end up with Survivor Online. No thanks.

Besides, who the hell are we to say what's real and what isn't 400 years from now?

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

Sorry that you didn't like PS2 but all those games you mentioned I played and for me personaly , PS2 is far supperior to any of those games , better game play, better graphics and hey look , when a battle ends the game doesn't need to restart!

Seems to me your better off with the standard FPS, like COD ect , where cheaters/hackers are present like crazy, this isn't your standard FPS it's a MMOFPS in a sandbox world, and honestly it's not that hard to understand either, and the depth of the battles is team work not a one man army, and some battles I was in lasted 3-4 hours with three factions of a total of 400 people fighting over one base and it was awesome! Even though we lost the base! Damn you Vanu!!!

As I stated above , stick with the regular FPS because this one is a team game not a solo game , if you solo in PS2 , they'll find you dead in a ditch some where!

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

I grew tired of this reading both the overly positive and overly negative reviews.

I saw forming a picture of a pretty game with pointless base flipping and no risk death.  I saw FPS meshed with mmorpg battlegrounds slapped into a persistant world.

The new trend set by GW2 and PS2 is how shallow of a gaming experience can you get.  Its like gamers are all of a suddent incredibly stupid and fear nothing more than learning a complex mechanic...well fear nothing more than losing something upon death perhaps more than learning something new.

Do people really want so badly a game with no learning, no "grind" aka progression in character gear...no risk all reward?  How boring can these new games get?  Have we forgotten these are just games? Pixles?  That its ok to die and lose something...that risk is ok in a virtual world?  Wheres the challange?  Who has the best twitch skills is that it? Can that be the basis for a fun mmoRPG?

I really need to learn to breath through my mouth.  I might enjoy the next gen of games that are going to be DX12 in looks but DX1 in complexity....if that makes any sense.  Perhaps thats why i tend to play shitty looking poorly preforming games with overly complex mechanics or full loot high loss on death games...and cant even enjoy the blind hype and one week honeymoon on these new games for dummies...even if they look cool...

They could have done a lot with this game.  I didnt expect SOE to take a risk, and i did expect them to appeal the the lowest common denomintor with this game, seems they didnt dissapoint  in this regards.

I just really want to see an interview with the focus group people or whatever they use to determine if their game is easy enough, lacks depth enough, and has a high enough reward to no risk ratio....just want to get inside the mind of the gamer who loves this....meh guess ill go read some of the GW2 threads for that insight.

But i do hope you all enjoy hours of pointless base flipping, suicide ammo reloads, and driving machinery for no reason other than just to do it...sounds like a blast?

• mikecacklemikecackle Member Posts: 151

its a fish in the barrel shooter guys, just like COD, with a sandbox ploy that is meaningless... no reason to be anywhere but the main bases, and the ability to not backcap means straight linear boredom...

Vehicles are meaningless... its main use is to spawn camp the spawns, about the only way you'll enjoy being in them..

Infantry will be fun if you do teamwork with a good group.. but it will grow boring fast. You'll be standing at points with 4 others waiting to be attacked... Snore bore war core.

They made the weapons, then to make money reduced the power of everything they could think of, so when you start you are worthless and want to feed the pot to get the unlocks... You will, trst me you will at 6-10 hours per unlock and 100's of unlocks, every mistake unlock you make will pull your hair out...

Don't even think of getting in armor with no zoom, or reload speed etc... talk about smashing your fists thru your keyboard...

Common Scenario....

"HEY, there's a infantry and I'm in a tank, lets go kill it." Hey, I just hit it witha 150mm shell.. but it didnt die?!?!? Fudge! Well Let's Hit it again.... Oh fudge!!, i have to wait 12 seconds for a reload??? WTF he is running at me,.. He has 30mm rockets?!?!? And its killing ME?!?!?!? WTF Retreat.... OOOh Noooooo KABLOOEY"

Luck Scenario....

"HEY, there's a infantry and I'm in a tank, lets go kill it." Hey, I just hit it witha 150mm shell.. but it didnt die?!?!? Fudge! Well Let's Hit it again.... Oh fudge!!, i have to wait 12 seconds for a reload??? WTF he is running at me,.. He has 30mm rockets?!?!? And its killing ME?!?!?!? WTF Run Him over.. Splat.. HAHAHAHHAH Up your's Vanu!!!" few seconds later, another rocket.. Its the same dude.... Oh Fudge!! OOOh Noooooo KABLOOEY"

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Aeolron

Sorry that you didn't like PS2 but all those games you mentioned I played and for me personaly , PS2 is far supperior to any of those games , better game play, better graphics and hey look , when a battle ends the game doesn't need to restart!

Seems to me your better off with the standard FPS, like COD ect , where cheaters/hackers are present like crazy, this isn't your standard FPS it's a MMOFPS in a sandbox world, and honestly it's not that hard to understand either, and the depth of the battles is team work not a one man army, and some battles I was in lasted 3-4 hours with three factions of a total of 400 people fighting over one base and it was awesome! Even though we lost the base! Damn you Vanu!!!

As I stated above , stick with the regular FPS because this one is a team game not a solo game , if you solo in PS2 , they'll find you dead in a ditch some where!

I've never participated in a beta with more hacking / exploiting than I did with Planetside 2.  None of which seemed to be addressed even on the last day of testing.  Speed hacks, aiming hacks, random teleport hacks, spots that let you shoot through walls and forcefields, spots that let you shoot at others, but they can't shoot you and the list goes on.  It was rampant and it would indicate that too much is being handled by the local client and not the server which makes it infinitely easier to hack.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Explanation: The size of the maps (world), and sheer number of players the game can display on the battlefield is why.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

I approve of this, exactly how I feel on every level.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Thank god someone posted constructively to this thread, someone with patience and understanding that  the poster of this thread may be incredibly new ; and as such he didn't need to roast him for crying about things he's to new to understand.

Way more patient than me....cry threads on games people don't yet understand make me hulk out.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I like the old fashioned approach.

Modern "realistic" shooters like cod and bf leave me cold. (well except for counterstrike, I like counterstrike)
  • SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

I guess it's the twitch combat the OP doesn't like by the sounds of it, but that's what people like to play, there are realistic shooters if that floats your boat, but  the majority would get bored inching forward a step at a time.

My advice for anyone picking up PS2 is to find yourself a decent outfit as that is where the game is best, it's okay as a solo experience, you can follow the zerg and do well, but with an outfit the game is tons more fun, especially when battling another organized outfit.

PS2 is epic and only a day away! :)

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

As far as ive seen PS2 is kinda really depending on personal preference.

I would prefer PS2 over any battlefield or call of duty game anyday. It yust feels as if you can modify and adjust more, everything feels alot more balanced (well, certain vehicles might need some higher cost to reduce the amount of kills they might gather with it) and in my opinion the feel of greatness yust looking at a massive battle overwhelms me every time

But like always, yust my opinion and totally understandable not everyone feels the same way.

p.s. guy talking about GW2, true.. everyone could see boredom coming from 5km at that game. Nonetheless if you look at it as a game, gotten the longest fun playtime ive ever had from a 60 dollar game :P and even though im yust taking a small break from GW2, the idea that i can yust come back and join in sometimes for some small events or pvp makes it not that bad :P

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by SysFail

I guess it's the twitch combat the OP doesn't like by the sounds of it, but that's what people like to play, there are realistic shooters if that floats your boat, but  the majority would get bored inching forward a step at a time.

My advice for anyone picking up PS2 is to find yourself a decent outfit as that is where the game is best, it's okay as a solo experience, you can follow the zerg and do well, but with an outfit the game is tons more fun, especially when battling another organized outfit.

PS2 is epic and only a day away! :)

Nope, twitch combat is fine.  TF2 does it to perfection.  Counting blades of grass as I walk through a field isn't my cup of tea either.

As I said, PS2 just takes issues developers have been too lazy to work around/fix and writes them off as "features".  Realistic physics, nope.  Human attributes, nope.  Detailed hanlding of vehicles, nope.  Detailed damage of vehicles, nope.  Things that an occasional games does improve upon, PS2 ignores and things that have been pesky little quirks since the 90's, it capitalizes on as a "feature".

They're feeding us a pile of steaming horse shit, that's been digested and regurgitated for 20 years and hoping we're lap it up and beg for more.  And it's the mindset of posters like you (quoted) that keep...giving...them...excuses.  Why bother improving anything if half-wits around every corner of the Internet will drool with their half a brain cell over a fancy, colorful screen?

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

OP what you are looking for is called ArmA 2 and soon ArmA3.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

I don't get what's with all the dislike for PS2. Given, I never played the first, and I'm not an expert when it comes to FPS's (nor very good at them, though I am trying to get into them more lately), but I've been having a blast so far.

Three faction non-stop PvP is right up my alley, though I was a long time DAoC player, so that may be why. The game isn't perfect, far from it, but I can't think of another shooter that has three faction PvP, massive battlefields, and offers just as much customization.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    And it's the mindset of posters like you (quoted) that keep...giving...them...excuses.  Why bother improving anything if half-wits around every corner of the Internet will drool with their half a brain cell over a fancy, colorful screen?

Just who the hell are you to say anyone has half a brain cell for enjoying something that you clearly don't? I get it, it's been done before, you don't like it. It didn't improve upon it's predecessor. Okay. So you'd rather people play nothing at all? Again, point me in the direction of another shooter with three faction PvP, battlefields just as big, and as much if not more customization.