Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P has ruined SWTOR and Legacy

13»

Comments

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by DarkVagabond
    Originally posted by Onomas
    SWTOR was ruined before launch lol.

you made a little typo.

Well considering launch was before f2p, i made no typo ;) If SWTOR was ruined before F2P, and launch came before F2P, thus it was ruined at all levels before F2P.

Brain power for the win

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    The legacy system was a bit of a mess to begin with honestly. Its far from a perfect system. A decent idea but poorly executed.
  • WinterizerWinterizer Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by superniceguyF2P has ruined the game, because you can not create more than 2 chars, and leaves the game with a sleazy Cash Shop, and if people are subbing from it, then what is the point in there being F2P?

I can not create more than 2 chars, and I do not want to pay the full $15. I would be willing to pay to unlock more char slots, but I can not, so I can not return to the game, and make it more alive.

The thing is that people expect to much for free

Be glad that you can log on the game and play some of the content

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Winterizer
    Originally posted by superniceguyF2P has ruined the game, because you can not create more than 2 chars, and leaves the game with a sleazy Cash Shop, and if people are subbing from it, then what is the point in there being F2P?

I can not create more than 2 chars, and I do not want to pay the full $15. I would be willing to pay to unlock more char slots, but I can not, so I can not return to the game, and make it more alive.

That makes no sense

I can not log on and play more content, because I can not create more chars. I already played some of the content on 2 chars before F2P on $15.

Every other MMO allows you purchase more character slots

The free trial for SWTOR befiore F2P was free and you could create more than 2 chars

Unlocking more slots in F2P would not be free

The thing is people think that F2P is free

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by saxifr
    Now that F2P is done, one wonders what those 200 people on the SWTOR team are working on next!

lol  ..  My guess would be more cash shop stuff, and another tier of gear to grind for......

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409

I won't quote it because of length but that was a great post tiefighter25.  I didn't realize what they had planned for makeb, I was actually suprised it wasn't released with 1.5.  I'll have to look up the details and see how they spin that, if they even bother to at this point.  A few things I wanted to add-

1) if your into MMOs enough to be here on this site posting, you are not the free player the devs are looking for.  Your way to involved and you care to much.  The type of free player they are looking to bring in won't share your concerns with the legacy system because they don't even know what that is.  I'm not saying nobody here will choose to use the system, just that you are not the focus and they don't care what you think.

2) most of the problems with the f2p conversion (aside from it just being a terrible idea to start with) are the same problems the game has always had- incompetence of the developers, misundering the customers, lack of leadership and direction.  They are grasping at straws trying to find ways to make any money they can out of this mess and screwing the fans over or taking advantage of impluse buyers doesn't bother them at all.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

I don't think a lot of subscribers realize how much FTP (cash shop really) has already affected SWTOR's overall game design.

Here's my roughshod list of how it has already affected ToR. (Remember, they've been designing around the cash shop since Spring.)

1.) Content withholding. -

A] Since Spring they've only realiased (and that's including 1.5) 2 Operations and 1 companion.

B] Remember, that companion quest line was in game at Beta. As a part of their string out the subscribers/figure out a way to monetize everything, HK-51 was withheld. (His preview video was out in what June?)

C] The new unrealesed warzone Hypergates has been in playable form since August at E3 is still unrealeased. BW has said it will be in the next patch. That's 4 months of holding on to it.

D] Cathar- The Cathat have been ready, and previewed since June. They have been withheld until the cash shop was up to sell them to you.

2.) Restricting Itemization

A] High end gear since the descion to switch to FTP has just been reskins of previous gear. By withholding gear, it makes the gear hidden within the $4.00 lockboxes more attractive on FTP release.

B] Withholding a wide array of gear that was available in Beta. This gear which was seen over a year ago now, is still unreleased. Expect to see it in new rounds of lock-boxes. (Which is funny since they will say, "Look what we've been up" when tat gear was created over a year ago.

3.) Makeb

A] Makeb is being withheld as a paid mini-expansiion. This is exceptionally greedy because it was oriinally intended as a major Patch release (as in no extra money to play). Makeb has been ready since May, but will now be sold to everyone, FTP and subber as a mini-expansion.

4.) Legacy

A] Here is where design as been directly affected by the cash shop. BW has stated that Legacy is their greatest feature and will receive their primary focus. Well now you know why Legacy pre-FTP was such a mooney sink. As it stands, Legacy perks are available aither by paying millions per perk, or an instant purchase of about $4.00 per perk in the cash shop. Guess which BW hopes you purchase. Expect to see many, many new Legacy perks in the future.

In summary: Since deciding to switch to FTP (Who's primary purpose was the addition of the cash shop) Bioware has withheld, Makeb, Hk-51, Hypergate Warzone, the Cathar, and all the gear that was in Beta. Since the decision to switch to FTP, their decimated staff has designed no new content, just reeasing content which was already in the pipeline.

Bioware intends to sell the Makeb patch as a mini-expansion, sell Cathat race unlocks, and put all the varied gear designed since before launch into lock-boxes.

In lieu of new content, Bioware will contiinue to add to its altaholic Legacy perk system. Those perks will now be obtainable by either grinding out million upon millions of credits, or purchasing them directly fro the cash shop.

When you can't get more money from more subscribers, you attempt to get more money per remaining subscriber.

If Bioware will be succesful in doing this, we shall see. Bioware is putting its faith in its remaining playerbase being content with no real new content and paying for cash shop purchases many times over what they already pay as a monthly sub.

The FTP option, is nothing but a tack on to garner a modicum of publicity, allow EA to stop reporting subs, but most importantly to Bioware, to sell, sell, sell micro-transactions in its cash shop. I base the FTP as nothing more then a ruse in that the restrictions are purposively unbearable, the servers are not designed for either the initial FTP rush or any real vast increase in players, there has been virtually no marketing campaign for the FTP switch.

Think about, why spend money on advertising when your customer already knows about the new product. SWTOR, (much I'm sure to MMORPG's chagrin) has not even bought a browser background ad here. (I see ads for RIFT, STO, GW2, EvE, a bunch of other Asian games, no SWTOR). EA is spending as little as it can on SWTOR both in content creation and marketing. All that EA/Bioware is doing is getting the most it can out of its leased Star Wars IP, and hoping that compulsive micro-transaction purchasses will help defray their losses on the development of SWTOR. Here's a party-Jawa, go drop a few hundred on cartel coins.

Even Sevenstar cant fight these kind of facts. Quoted for Truth. I even like swtor, if Rift didnt exist id be playing SWTOR to get my themepark fix. It has awesome story conent, Decent looking graphics, the first battlegrounds ive ever liked. To bad EAWare had to release it will buggy ass content and literally nothing to do post story content. You either level and alt, grund hutt ball, or do buggy ops.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by superniceguy

F2P has ruined SWTOR... 

I do believe the around 70% of the people that quit playing and caused the need for F2P will disagree with you...

Or are you one of the people from the main forums that are trying to tell everyone that the game was doing great and Bioware only made F2P out of the kindness of their hearts?

Anyway, SWTOR was ruined by fanboys that stopped all chances of Bioware ever learning there were issues with their game long before release...

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I agree that F2P put content on back seat. Now that it's in game I hope we will see content coming in promised pace and that Makeb and other stuff already in work will show up soon.

Would I want content to come sooner? Sure.

I love the game and I support it. That's the old school. When EQ2 launched in 2004, there was no new content for year or two. Nada, zero. But we sticked with it because we loved it. Even despite LU 13 LOL.

I am enjoying the game immensely. Nothing compares to SWTOR's FPS and Operations... NOTHING!!!!

Damian Shubert:

With regards to Makeb/Level cap increase and other stuff mentioned in E3 of this year, has the FTP launch affected the release timing of these new content? Is there an approximate date when we can expect the release of these?

The Free to Play option and Cartel Market were built by an entirely different team, in order to ensure the Makeb team remained completely focused on their target date. We definitely have a date in mind, and there should be news about that coming soon!

So I am waiting eagerly for new stuff and continue to love the game.

Cheers :)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Now that F2P is done, one wonders what those 200 people on the SWTOR team are working on next!

Their resumes.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by noncley

Their resumes.

Game developments is kind of like politics.  No matter how bad you are at your job, just having the connections and the experience means you'll always have work available.  It's why we see the same 8 or 9 game dev's continue to get their latest projects greenlit despite the fact that the last 10 have been failures.  

You make me like charity

• ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

That makes no sense

I can not log on and play more content, because I can not create more chars. I already played some of the content on 2 chars before F2P on $15.

The free trial for SWTOR befiore F2P was free and you could create more than 2 chars

Create a new account or delete one of those characters? Problem solved! If you don't want to do that, then it's You who make sure you can't play more content.  Very few games that advertise F2P are actually F2P; in SW:TOR's case it's Freemium.

Regardless, I'm glad there's restrictions - there should be imo. You might not agree, but hey, that's life. Besides, the company not only wants, but needs to earn money. I agree the quickslot part is a bit silly though.

If nothing else, F2P should make RPers happy, considering they can SW RP for free. ^^

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Marketing and PR, just as befor, nothings changed :)

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I agree. There is no change in gameplay with f2P. The only thing that changed is that you can got some cool stuff with CC.

I love the game even more right now.

ALWAYS remember that if it wasnt for F2P you would get those same things without CC.

Originally posted by tiefighter25

I don't think a lot of subscribers realize how much FTP (cash shop really) has already affected SWTOR's overall game design.

Here's my roughshod list of how it has already affected ToR. (Remember, they've been designing around the cash shop since Spring.)

1.) Content withholding. -

A] Since Spring they've only realiased (and that's including 1.5) 2 Operations and 1 companion.

B] Remember, that companion quest line was in game at Beta. As a part of their string out the subscribers/figure out a way to monetize everything, HK-51 was withheld. (His preview video was out in what June?)

C] The new unrealesed warzone Hypergates has been in playable form since August at E3 is still unrealeased. BW has said it will be in the next patch. That's 4 months of holding on to it.

D] Cathar- The Cathat have been ready, and previewed since June. They have been withheld until the cash shop was up to sell them to you.

2.) Restricting Itemization

A] High end gear since the descion to switch to FTP has just been reskins of previous gear. By withholding gear, it makes the gear hidden within the $4.00 lockboxes more attractive on FTP release.

B] Withholding a wide array of gear that was available in Beta. This gear which was seen over a year ago now, is still unreleased. Expect to see it in new rounds of lock-boxes. (Which is funny since they will say, "Look what we've been up" when tat gear was created over a year ago.

3.) Makeb

A] Makeb is being withheld as a paid mini-expansiion. This is exceptionally greedy because it was oriinally intended as a major Patch release (as in no extra money to play). Makeb has been ready since May, but will now be sold to everyone, FTP and subber as a mini-expansion.

4.) Legacy

A] Here is where design as been directly affected by the cash shop. BW has stated that Legacy is their greatest feature and will receive their primary focus. Well now you know why Legacy pre-FTP was such a mooney sink. As it stands, Legacy perks are available aither by paying millions per perk, or an instant purchase of about $4.00 per perk in the cash shop. Guess which BW hopes you purchase. Expect to see many, many new Legacy perks in the future.

In summary: Since deciding to switch to FTP (Who's primary purpose was the addition of the cash shop) Bioware has withheld, Makeb, Hk-51, Hypergate Warzone, the Cathar, and all the gear that was in Beta. Since the decision to switch to FTP, their decimated staff has designed no new content, just reeasing content which was already in the pipeline.

Bioware intends to sell the Makeb patch as a mini-expansion, sell Cathat race unlocks, and put all the varied gear designed since before launch into lock-boxes.

In lieu of new content, Bioware will contiinue to add to its altaholic Legacy perk system. Those perks will now be obtainable by either grinding out million upon millions of credits, or purchasing them directly fro the cash shop.

When you can't get more money from more subscribers, you attempt to get more money per remaining subscriber.

If Bioware will be succesful in doing this, we shall see. Bioware is putting its faith in its remaining playerbase being content with no real new content and paying for cash shop purchases many times over what they already pay as a monthly sub.

The FTP option, is nothing but a tack on to garner a modicum of publicity, allow EA to stop reporting subs, but most importantly to Bioware, to sell, sell, sell micro-transactions in its cash shop. I base the FTP as nothing more then a ruse in that the restrictions are purposively unbearable, the servers are not designed for either the initial FTP rush or any real vast increase in players, there has been virtually no marketing campaign for the FTP switch.

Think about, why spend money on advertising when your customer already knows about the new product. SWTOR, (much I'm sure to MMORPG's chagrin) has not even bought a browser background ad here. (I see ads for RIFT, STO, GW2, EvE, a bunch of other Asian games, no SWTOR). EA is spending as little as it can on SWTOR both in content creation and marketing. All that EA/Bioware is doing is getting the most it can out of its leased Star Wars IP, and hoping that compulsive micro-transaction purchasses will help defray their losses on the development of SWTOR. Here's a party-Jawa, go drop a few hundred on cartel coins.

Exactly, subcscribers will now have to pay extra for content that was created 1+ years ago.

Its another very cheezy thing on part of EA.

Originally posted by Shadin

That makes no sense

Create a new account or delete one of those characters? Problem solved! If you don't want to do that, then it's You who make sure you can't play more content.  Very few games that advertise F2P are actually F2P; in SW:TOR's case it's Freemium.

Regardless, I'm glad there's restrictions - there should be imo. You might not agree, but hey, that's life. Besides, the company not only wants, but needs to earn money. I agree the quickslot part is a bit silly though.

If nothing else, F2P should make RPers happy, considering they can SW RP for free. ^^

This makes no sense either. I am not complaining about having to pay money I am not asking for them to give 12 slots like subbers, I am wanting them to allow us to BUY more sliots like every other F2P game.

How can they make money when I can not purchase more char slots? If they allow more slots to be unlocked then they get more money.

Creating more chars on the same account is necssary for the Legacy. I am not deleting chars or creating new accounts as will be a complete waste of time, if they change it so you can buy more slots

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This makes no sense either. I am not complaining about having to pay money I am not asking for them to give 12 slots like subbers, I am wanting them to allow us to BUY more sliots like every other F2P game.

How can they make money when I can not purchase more char slots? If they allow more slots to be unlocked then they get more money.

Creating more chars on the same account is necssary for the Legacy. I am not deleting chars or creating new accounts as will be a complete waste of time, if they change it so you can buy more slots

Buying more character slots seems like a perfectly reasonable expectation. I'm not sure why that's not an option. It really does seem like a 'no brainer'.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by biggarfoot

F2P has ruined SWTOR, it has lost the plot, and the Cartel Market has just cheapned the game. It is certainly not worth subbing to any more. At least before F2P SWTOR had some respect, and more reason to sub.

When I unlocked Legacy previously I had to go play until got to Alderaan

Now on anotther character on a different server, at level 25, just finished with Taris and got Nar Shaddaa and Tatooine to do before unlocking Legacy. I then log in to that character after F2P change, and I get Legacy, it now gives me it early. So not much point playing any more anyway. It has taken the fun out of playing through the game and unlocking Legacy

What is up with Legacy, what has changed with F2P, and how can F2P people enjoy Legacy with only 2 chars?

It lost the plot when it was on the development table.  With EA involved with any game what you really expect?

Sorry mate, can't blame EA for this one.  BioWare Austin did a horrible job from the ground up - the root of it is the outdated design.  Some things are great about the game don't get me wrong, but overall the game is just ... uninspired.

EA thought it would be a huge deal for them because it's a Star Wars MMO... and BioWare... they thought that combo would make them mountains of money.  Well, BioWare lead designers didn't really deliver as expected and THAT's why the game isn't keeping people.  Not EA.  EA is just trying to do what any company does - make profit or in a bad case of loss, recover as much as possible.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Buying more character slots seems like a perfectly reasonable expectation. I'm not sure why that's not an option. It really does seem like a 'no brainer'.

I agree.  Their model is riddled with idiocy.  A lot of 'no-brainers' are present while very stupid, frustrating and SOCIAL aspects get locked.

Heaven forbid anyone get attached to the game/others in the game and become INVESTED enough to want to continue, right? Well played.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

secretly they send their biographies in other companies

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
    Originally posted by DeaconX
    Originally posted by biggarfoot

F2P has ruined SWTOR, it has lost the plot, and the Cartel Market has just cheapned the game. It is certainly not worth subbing to any more. At least before F2P SWTOR had some respect, and more reason to sub.

When I unlocked Legacy previously I had to go play until got to Alderaan

Now on anotther character on a different server, at level 25, just finished with Taris and got Nar Shaddaa and Tatooine to do before unlocking Legacy. I then log in to that character after F2P change, and I get Legacy, it now gives me it early. So not much point playing any more anyway. It has taken the fun out of playing through the game and unlocking Legacy

What is up with Legacy, what has changed with F2P, and how can F2P people enjoy Legacy with only 2 chars?

It lost the plot when it was on the development table.  With EA involved with any game what you really expect?

Sorry mate, can't blame EA for this one.  BioWare Austin did a horrible job from the ground up - the root of it is the outdated design.  Some things are great about the game don't get me wrong, but overall the game is just ... uninspired.

EA thought it would be a huge deal for them because it's a Star Wars MMO... and BioWare... they thought that combo would make them mountains of money.  Well, BioWare lead designers didn't really deliver as expected and THAT's why the game isn't keeping people.  Not EA.  EA is just trying to do what any company does - make profit or in a bad case of loss, recover as much as possible.

I believe Bioware did a cracking job on the game, but then EA steps in and destroys it, to release it early. There is a arrticle on the internet with Dallas Dickinison (who was also responsible for SWG NGE and is not original main Bioware team) saying that they chopped the game down, so it would be released on time and whatnot. Devs cried over that move, and if they cried over it then it seems as though that content  was lost forever, as if they intended to add it later, then I do not see them crying over it.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

I believe Bioware did a cracking job on the game, but then EA steps in and destroys it, to release it early.

So please tell us HOW Bioware did a "Cracking job" on the game, but somehow EA came in and destroyed it to release it early...what was in beta, that you saw that Bioware did to make it good that EA had taken out for release to make it bad...

Name some stuff, unless you are just deflecting to protect Bioware for some unknown reason...Also include a reason why EA would have them remove stuff and not go back and finish it after release, need to know why they would allow those man-hours to go to waste. heh.

Originally posted by rdrakken

I believe Bioware did a cracking job on the game, but then EA steps in and destroys it, to release it early.

So please tell us HOW Bioware did a "Cracking job" on the game, but somehow EA came in and destroyed it to release it early...what was in beta, that you saw that Bioware did to make it good that EA had taken out for release to make it bad...

Name some stuff, unless you are just deflecting to protect Bioware for some unknown reason...Also include a reason why EA would have them remove stuff and not go back and finish it after release, need to know why they would allow those man-hours to go to waste. heh.

Bioware have always done cracking work before they got involved with EA. EA are known for destroying companies.

The article with Dallas Dickinson explains all. It was not Bioware who wanted to cut content out

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    My friend who didn't even buy the game at launch after preordering is enjoying itquite a bit right now.  We are both subbed.