Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3, are we to blame for the disappointment?

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

It is disgusting how much misinformation is being spread in this thread. Sometimes I wonder if you guys every played D2. Let's clear a few "misunderstandings" shall we?

Who told you that the drop in D2 was great. I say it was just as bad as in Diablo 3. The rare stuff which was actually worth something had like a 0.002% chance to drop. I hope you didn't get all excited when you got a Vipermagi which wasn't worth much. The runes you needed for the formulas and some of the rare items didn't drop at all. This is one of the reasons whya HUGE number of people used bots. Pretty much everyone used bots in D2. Why? Because you either had to play tons of hours to get anywhere or get extremely lucky. Or you were extremely poor. So gold selling and botting was the norm in the D2 not the odd occasion. I even used bots and I have played thousands upon thousands of hours of D2. 

Also when D2 too launched it wasn't so good. The real treat started with LoD. Before 1.09, it was so hilariously easy that the game would make WoW's level 1 quests look like rocket science. And do I need to talk about all the duping? People duped so much to the point where loot wasn't worth anything. 1.10 was a great patch though! The game was amazing during 1.10 

In Diablo 3 it was hard in the beginning, now it's faceroll. Even if you are handicapped you will breeze through inferno with any class with no gear whatsoever. Nowadays I doubt anyone uses the RMAH as BLizzard buffed the dropped rate so much that now set items which used to cost millions now sell for 150k gold lol. The drop is extreemly high now. You would probably get 1-3 legendaries per run. True, now their value has greatly decreased but you still get orange/green items.

I think a lot of the people who are complaining about D3 are the ones who played singleplayer/open battlenet in Diablo 2. But then again those people are not the hardcore fans who played the game for years. I mean I saw people complaining that D3 forces you to repeat the same content over and over again on a higher difficulty. To that, all I can say is /facepalm, did you play D2?

I tried Torchlight 2 and it is horrible. I mean it's a fun game to play for 20-30 hours but nothing more than that. There is no closed multiplayer, the graphics are mediocre, the world is bland, no real atmosphere. It's just not a game which a Diablo 2 fan who loved pvping and grinding for loot would enjoy. YOu get items all over the place. I lost count of how many legendaries dropped in that game. Is that what makes people happy? Then again for 15 pounds, 30-40 hours is great value but it's not the Diablo series.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

D3 was a disappointment because its creators in their arrogance didn't borrow enough from the legacy of previous Diablo games. But now with patch 1.0.5 it's much closer to what it should have been from the very beginning.

Originally posted by fivoroth
    In Diablo 3 it was hard in the beginning, now it's faceroll.
    First, it was prohibitively hard. Second, MP10 isn't faceroll. 

Originally posted by fivoroth
    Even if you are handicapped you will breeze through inferno with any class with no gear whatsoever.
    Wrong. You still need gear for act 4 and late act3. And I mean serious gear - 30k DPS, 1k LoH and 400 all resists at least. With Hell gear you won't even do Act 1/MP0. 

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Blizzard is getting very close to jumping the shark with every one of their franchises.  It's arguable that WoW has already, with MoP.

You make me like charity

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Had Blizzard not gotten rid of all the people that made D2 (i.e. Blizzard North) then the game would likely not have been such a departure from previous games.

Plus, designing the game around the need to use the RMAH and having online only play were also very large negative factors.

The crappy security for D3 on Bnet was just the final kick in the groin.

So, no: the players are not responsible for the disappointment in the game (and frankly they almost never are) it was a bunch of poor / shortsighted decisions by Bliz management that led to a departure from what people expected a Diablo game to be.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Diablo 3 released with only 50% of features that were promised in the first public showing. Not only promised, but demoed.

Blizzard decided to scrap everything in order to make it as streemlined as possible for the RMAH.

Everything since act 1 feels tackled on in last moment.

I think there were two developments. First that was good and second that scrapped the most from first and kept onlythe bare gameplay (which is only good part)

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Every single thing about Diablo 3 is superior to the previous 2 games except for what gives the game most of its replay value: loot.

The loot in the game is so horrible and un-rewarding it destroys the replay value.

Nobody wants to play a monster farming game that has little to no reward. 

The game is incredible and will easily give every player a fun time until they hit max level or even 50 and get tired of getting trash loot.

I really cant believe how bad they did with the items. Its too bad because the game is damn good.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

D3's launch failure was due to an idiot producer, Jay Wilson, not understanding what made D2 special.  Luckily the community let him know what was wrong and they've worked to address it.  Unfortunately they've probably lost millions of people in the process who won't return.

The RMAH wasn't D3's problem.  It was the difficulty of Inferno, lack of a long leveling grind (finally addressed with Paragons),  and boring grinding just for gold.

P2W existed in D2.  It was called D2JSP.

I'm very happy with the changes.  They need to next deal with bots.  It's a freaking joke.  They destroy the economy, but luckily I can still enjoy the game even with them around.  It's just not as rewarding as it would be without bots.

The RMAH was the problem!  The entire game was designed around it!

Games like Diablo are about fun and finding tons of loot for your character.

Instead they killed the fun by try forcing people to use the RMAH due to making loot drops so incredibly random, that 99,9% of the loot drops you get are TOTALLY useless for your character!

Even in your average MMO the loot drops are not that bad!

Like another poster said.... it was all about GREED!  Blizzard hoping for heavy use of the RMAH to create a continious cash flow into their pockets!

It's the sole reason I will not buy a Blizzard game anymore! I have absolutely no fate in their new titan MMO! Not after what they did with Diablo 3 and their RMAH abomination. /Facepalm

• LazerChickenLazerChicken Member Posts: 29

I have around 500 h played. I did not played for a long time now.

Can't really say that 500 h is disappointment, not much games now offer more than 10 h entertaiment.

I believe that the expectations were to high for a hack&slash, both from a WoW/MMO crowd waiting for its messiah and from D2 hardcore playerbase wanting to feel like 10 yaers ago when upacking D2.

Above plus:

LACK OF PVP

DROPS AROUND AH

BAD BNET DESIGN

made many ppl disappointed with the game.

For me it was quite great month or even two of fun.

I have my fears so they don't have me.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by monstermmo

Every single thing about Diablo 3 is superior to the previous 2 games except for what gives the game most of its replay value: loot.

The loot in the game is so horrible and un-rewarding it destroys the replay value.

Nobody wants to play a monster farming game that has little to no reward. 

The game is incredible and will easily give every player a fun time until they hit max level or even 50 and get tired of getting trash loot.

I really cant believe how bad they did with the items. Its too bad because the game is damn good.

This was addressed in 1.0.4. Loot is now adequate, I'd say. Gearing up for Inferno/MP1 takes maybe a week of gold farming, then you can find upgrades on your own.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Yes, it's obviously the fault of the players. As many devs and fanboys of any of today's games say, "you're playing it wrong!"
  • DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by evilized
    Originally posted by expresso

Whaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaaaa D3 was a great game, what? Did you expect it to cure cancer too?  I got 70 hours of play time out the game that's a damn sight more than I have got out of most games today, such as all of 30 mins out of touch light 2 before I fell asleep at the keyboard.  You all expecting far to much, take your D2 rose tinted glasses off and then take a proper look at diablo 3 in the context of today not 12 years ago.

Ok, give me a minute.

Yep, D2 was and is still better than D3 by leaps and bounds. And what do you mean by "in the context of today?" The fact that it has been over 12 years since Diablo 2 came out means Diablo 3 should have at least been an improvement of the old system, like they did between Diablo and Diablo 2 right? Unfortunately for us WoW came out between the release of D2 and D3 and contaminated the recipe. The fact that none of the original Diablo team from Blizzard North is still around calling shots is probably what sunk the ship though, all of the free thinkers and innovators were forced out of Blizzard in exchange for cheap labor and market predictors. It probably doesn't help that they built the game as a test bed for RMAH rather than a stand alone title. Titan, whenever it is revealed will be closely tied together with an "improved" RMAH. Just you watch.

I feel like this is a key point that ties into the article, and my feelings as well.

If we expect a game to be better then it's predessecor that is' over 12 years old,  it should be, sure the market demand progresses faster then the market can keep up, but Blizzard is WAY behind the innovation curve since 2004, it's like after WOW launched they stopped trying.. or the Activision Merger ruined their SOP on development.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    it fell short of its promise 
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    You expect people to be honest with this poll? Come on - let's be realistic. People wanted and hyped the game to be exactly like D2 - they NEVER said they would deliver that. I blame the hype - plain an simple!

• StafayeStafaye Member Posts: 1
    To me, it fail because the AH
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    I am not disappointed. Best game out in 2012, closely ahead of Dishonored, in my books.
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    No greed is to blame. Greed of wanting a steady stream of rmah cash, then designing the game around it, even if it means sacrificing fun.

Bingo.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    If Diablo 3 was a 3D MMO game it would have been better in my opinion. 2D'ish Single player with occassional co-op doesn't feel that great after playing MMO's with a 3D virtual world camera.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Really the only thing I don't like about Diablo 3 is the drop rate of loot.  I have a paragon level 100 monk with Inna's set, and even better Unique gear.  And I still don't get a Unique or set 10% of the time I run inferno diablo.  They've made it better, since Infero is alot easier.  I used to not be able to get out of act 2 before they lowered the difficulty.  Paragon Levels help as well.  My friends that I run with all have level 100 paragons, and we rarely wipe fighting inferno diablo now, unless we do something stupid.  There are really only 3 reasons I still play it.

1) RMAH - I don't care what anyone says, I love this.  I've paid for my family's WoW accounts, Rift Accounts, and Diablo 3 and upcoming Heart of the Swarm expansion for StarCraft.  I still have lots of money left over.

2) Alts - I have ever class level 60 and I'm working on getting them all thier gear with my monk, and leveling thier paragon levels.  I eventually want to have them all at 100 paragon :)

3) Friends - I like fighting diablo with my friends.  There's about 20 of us, and when 4 of us are on together, we always meet up and take it to him.  I know a few of them irl and we're good friends.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Unreasonable expectations from Blizzard and the fanbase. Though I have to say the game was really awful from game design to the RMAH feature and online only. Those things really made it a bad experience not to mention ti wasn' that fun.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I didn't play D3 past the beta. Just wasn't really for me. However, like GW2, of the people I game with, there is at least one person still playing the game who played the game at release. This is an exception to the general rule where everyone is done with a game within a month or two of release.

Now, based on the response to games in general, this makes D3 (and GW2) exceptional, not disappointing.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87

D3 is a very polished dungeon crawler, these things are fun for a long time as a teenager but when you're an adult they're not very stimulating, therefor it will only offer about a week worth of enjoyment for most adults, and like other games they will then move on. D3's hype was built on so much nostalgia from those that are now adults. That's what the problem is. it's a game that you play for awhile and then probably never touch again because now that you are an adult you want something thats more intelligent.

Its good stuff when you're a teenager,  but people are just living in the past, you're not going to get very much from a game outside of your demo.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by thinktank001

D2 and D3 are alike?  

That article lost all credibility in the first paragraph.   I won't disagree they have similar elements, but games are not about what is there and more about how everything is implemented and works together. 

Yeah.  That guy must have been hitting the crack pipe hard.  What did we expect?

Something that felt like a Diablo game, lived up to the pre-alpha footage, and had a mature story.  We got the opposite of that on all three accounts. 

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Nyxium

That game exists, its called wow.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by kalrhael

D3 is a very polished dungeon crawler, these things are fun for a long time as a teenager but when you're an adult they're not very stimulating, therefor it will only offer about a week worth of enjoyment for most adults, and like other games they will then move on. D3's hype was built on so much nostalgia from those that are now adults. That's what the problem is. it's a game that you play for awhile and then probably never touch again because now that you are an adult you want something thats more intelligent.

Its good stuff when you're a teenager,  but people are just living in the past, you're not going to get very much from a game outside of your demo.

There is some truth to this, but while D2 was a grindy loot pinata, at least the loot we got was worth going after. That's really the main failure of D3. They wanted to push people to the RMAH and made item drops so pathetic that there was no incentive to continue playing. People don't mind the loot hunt and playing all day, we do mind grinding for gold all day so that we can buy our gear.

It robs us of the thrill of the item drop. Seeing those shinies fall on the ground and clicking them up. Instead we just kill mobs and hope to have enough gold to pay repair bills and buy a piece of gear here and there.

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298
    It simle, blizzard forgot that Diablo is not WoW.