Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost Shores mediocre and alienating

joneb1999joneb1999 Member UncommonPosts: 7

To begin with for all the trolls out there cracking their knuckles as they put their fingertips to the keyboard I will not come back here to read the insults and patronising replies so its a waste of time. I am here as is my right and for the very reason these forums exist,  to give an opinion.

Lost Shores seemd to have mediocre rewards in such as the items that can be bought with the commendations but in the end I didnt get a chance to get any loot drops as in my case  I had limited time to take place. I had just a few hours before the last event of the Lost Shores. I was hoping I could run one character through the chain of quests before the last big event but the way the weekend was designed I couldnt. I didnt mind missing the first two one off events on Friday and Saturday but the quest chain was in two parts and in the end the window for the first part was short and so I couldnt get access to the second part.

Also the last major event I missed because of where it was placed on The Lost Shores and I couldnt find it as the map was mostly  blank for the zone as I hadnt had a chance to open it up. I ran into dead ends a lot. Some guildies in the event tried to explain how to get to the area but in the end I logged off and watched TV feeling completely alienated form the event by this time.

The idea of one off events is a nice idea but shouldnt be so time limited so as to cause exclusion of people who cant attend. 

I suggest that it is fine enough that each major part of the event may be a one off but keep open the associated quest chain until the last event and make the whole thing last a week  bookended by each weekend. Even dare I say repeat the whole thing once or twice  more (so its a limted time event and not just a one off event)  to give everyone a chance to play but leave the changed state of the world as caused by the initial event permanent after.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JackFrostyJackFrosty Member Posts: 103

Bugged.

Glitchy.

Laggy.

Overlflow issues.

A complete failure of an event by Anet.

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115
    3 exotics 1 worth 29 gold and the other 2 above 2 gold im happy and a 20 slot bag. im not hitting a gift horse in the mouth so anyways... lol
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Was Epic IMHO.. I enjoyed it.. Funny thing is.. I would have enjoyed hearing about it if I missed it.. To me these types of events make the world seem mroe real and alive.. Like its living with or without me.. Great Job Anet.. Keep these types of REAL LEGENDARY type content happening.

These events will be the ones that last in peoples minds... Not the static ones that are forced into memory because they happen over and over and over, and over.. those are just dull and lifeless.

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

Was Epic IMHO.. I enjoyed it.. Funny thing is.. I would have enjoyed hearing about it if I missed it.. To me these types of events make the world seem mroe real and alive.. Like its living with or without me.. Great Job Anet.. Keep these types of REAL LEGENDARY type content happening.

These events will be the ones that last in peoples minds... Not the static ones that are forced into memory because they happen over and over and over, and over.. those are just dull and lifeless.

I was thinking the samething with the events they have plus this its like you are living in it. Out of no where these creatures try to kill and take over the city and you drive them away. Ive played many mmorpgs most of the time when they have a update its just a new area and stuff nothing like this.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

I didn't participate in any of the one time events because:

1.) It occurs around 4 a.m. in my time zone. Can't stay up for that long anymore, nor can I wake up that early. Actually I CAN if I really wanted to, but...

2.) I expected everyone will swarm the event. I don't find it particularly entertaining, regardless which MMO. I prefer 40 people max. There's gonna be all sorts of instability server or client end.

But I like one time events. It gives a feeling of a moving world. Nobody should think it moves around himself anyway.

• AsabellAsabell Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by JackFrosty

Bugged.

Glitchy.

Laggy.

Overlflow issues.

Not sure how anyone can have an overflow issue ? the other option is not getting into the event and after having that happen in Rift I sure hope that isn't an option folks have to face anymore .

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Asabell

Bugged.

Glitchy.

Laggy.

Overlflow issues.

Not sure how anyone can have an overflow issue ? the other option is not getting into the event and after having that happen in Rift I sure hope that isn't an option folks have to face anymore .

You're placed in a random overflow server every time you log in. Given the number of random disconnects people were having during this event that means a lot of them were logging back in to different overflows, effectively resetting their contribution to the event, splitting them up from friends/guildies and also risking the possibility that the event had already finished in the overflow you logged back into.

The disconnects and overflow issues caused a huge number of people to go completely unrewarded despite being there the whole time. The fact that some people were looting not one but TWO precursors (easily the most valuable items in the game at present) from the reward chest just rubbed salt into the wound.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Got my loot,

Was not fun

Did not experience any lagg except for the FPS due to 200ppl

Im glad i joined the event closer to the end than at the start.

• AsabellAsabell Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by Alberel

Bugged.

Glitchy.

Laggy.

Overlflow issues.

You're placed in a random overflow server every time you log in. Given the number of random disconnects people were having during this event that means a lot of them were logging back in to different overflows, effectively resetting their contribution to the event, splitting them up from friends/guildies and also risking the possibility that the event had already finished in the overflow you logged back into.

The disconnects and overflow issues caused a huge number of people to go completely unrewarded despite being there the whole time. The fact that some people were looting not one but TWO precursors (easily the most valuable items in the game at present) from the reward chest just rubbed salt into the wound.

I find that hard to believe , I'm sure it might have happened to a few folks but the old option was a gamble with doom everytime

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Alberel

Bugged.

Glitchy.

Laggy.

Overlflow issues.

For what it's worth, the blame is on the DC. Without the overflow technology, a DC'ed player will be put on queue, completely hindering his ability to not only get credit/finish the said event, but to play.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

OP-

2 posts on your account, just to troll GW2?  Even saying you wont come back to read anything?  LOL @ fail troll.

• BaleoutBaleout Member Posts: 141

Well myself i had a blast sorry about the OP luck .

It was laggy and had some bugs but it reminded me of the old UO events in alot of ways.

The next one should go better as i HOPE they learned from this.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

1.) It occurs around 4 a.m. in my time zone. Can't stay up for that long anymore, nor can I wake up that early. Actually I CAN if I really wanted to, but...

2.) I expected everyone will swarm the event. I don't find it particularly entertaining, regardless which MMO. I prefer 40 people max. There's gonna be all sorts of instability server or client end.

But I like one time events. It gives a feeling of a moving world. Nobody should think it moves around himself anyway.

This, mostly.

I think though, one time events should be either longer or more often, to give people who really want to participate a change. So I understand the OP, too.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

I had no lag for the entire event (over 2,5 hours!)

My PC was having a hard time due to the amount of people, but when i turned my gfx to lowest it was perfectly playable on my 5 year old PC. I had a blast, cheers ANET :)

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

The execution of the event went terribly wrong.

• Phase 1 was bugged with NPCs (Noll, etc.), and this halted our progress to Phase 2.
    • Phase 2 gave us an ingame mail to tell us where to go, but we couldn't get it because Phase 1 was bugged, so it resulted in a lot of confusion as to where and what was supposed to happen in Phase 2.
    • Phase 2 continued inside the Lost Shores, and we had to retake the island.  I personally didn't have any problems with that part.
    • Phase 3 was another failure at communicating to us where we were supposed to be.  They gave us an ingame mail as soon as it started.  It should have been at least 24 hrs in advance.
    • Phase 3 also had disconnection issues and if you got kicked out, then you lost all progress and didn't get any loot.

As for the event,  Phase 1 & 2 were fun, but Phase 3 was numbingly boring.  Killing Veteran Karkas for around 3 hours was not fun.

I have to say though, the only thing i liked about this patch are the Fractals of the Mist dungeons.  They are really fun and challenging, and there's no graveyard zerg rushing anymore.  They also scale up in difficulty, which is very nice.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

This, mostly.

I think though, one time events should be either longer or more often, to give people who really want to participate a change. So I understand the OP, too.

It was 2.5 hours long. I think that's long enough. Also, the overflow I was in didn't have that many players. Certainly less than 40. I guess the map is smaller, so it also has a smaller pop cap.

I got myself two precursors, so I'm more than satisfied loot wise. Combat wise, one part of the event was way too long (the one where you had to defeat the adds spawned by the Ancient Karka), but otherwise, I think it was fun.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Bugged.

Not on Seafarer's Rest....

Glitchy.

A little but nothing event-breaking or close to it.

Laggy.

Yes but again, the event was fully playable for us.

Overlflow issues.

We did the whole event in the overflow -no problems for us doing so.

You commit the usual sin of taking personal perspective and opinion and assuming everyone else had the same. They didn't....

I am speaking of Phase 3 - Phase 1 was bugged in places at times.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Event was a total disaster for me. Phase 1 start in LA was lag from hell and some of the npcs were bugged. Phase 2 event boss was bugged, but was a little fun because we decided to have a party next to the boss, dancing while watching newcomers trying to kill a bugged unkillable boss. After about 3 hours a GM just despawned the ancient Karka. Anyway, I didnt even bother to log in for phase 3. My guildies that did were just complaining about lag lag lag lag.

• teotiusteotius Member UncommonPosts: 100
    U we're not supposed to kill that boss until the very end anyways. U just had to kill endless amounts of adds ^^
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

I had a blast.

And for one - inspite of all the haters - people really had to work together and mass strategise in order to do the events.

Yea, there was a lag. But what did you expect with so many people on the screen in same time ?

On the end I enjoyed participating in historic event that will never happen again. And got nice loot too.

What can be better than that ?

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Ohh and for the record,if you go LD during the event yes you come back in a random instance but you can then just click on one of your group members and hit join group. Which will port you away to enjoyment.

My only complaint that came with this update is the new dungeon. If you disconnect you come back outside the dungeon and can not get back in forcing the group to reset the dungeon if they want you back in.

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Trust me, you didn't miss a lot. Most of it was just a mindless laggy zerg. The new dungeon is okay though, but that one stays in the game so you can check it out later. To be honest I was disappointed a lot by the world events, just the same old mindless killing like most of the other events that exist in GW2.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Thupli

OP-

2 posts on your account, just to troll GW2?  Even saying you wont come back to read anything?  LOL @ fail troll.

When you can not refute what OP says in his post, attack him and call hima troll. Typical!