Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chivalry -- FPS Medieval Warfare LAUNCHED!

SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

Just came across this. The developers from the Source mod Age of Chivalry have developed their own stand-alone game using the Unreal Engine. Game looke excellent, price tag is absolutely reasonable (especially after I just paid more for War Z alpha) at $24.99. I'll be picking this up like right now, hopefully see some of you there. 

Official Website

Gameplay Video

Comments

• CranktrainCranktrain Member Posts: 25
    The Age of Chivalry mod, while not perfect, was very interesting, and this looks quite wonderful. A bit like Mount and Blade, but first person, a bit darker, and perhaps even a bit deeper, gameplay-wise. I'm interested in it, but I'm interested in any multiplayer game that's a bit different.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Cranktrain
    The Age of Chivalry mod, while not perfect, was very interesting, and this looks quite wonderful. A bit like Mount and Blade, but first person, a bit darker, and perhaps even a bit deeper, gameplay-wise. I'm interested in it, but I'm interested in any multiplayer game that's a bit different.

It has no single player game.  It is just a medieval COD.    Maps and combat.    There is no single player RPG game play that allows you to fight campaigns, become a ruler or anything.   So how is it deeper?

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by Cranktrain

It has no single player game.  It is just a medieval COD.    Maps and combat.    There is no single player RPG game play that allows you to fight campaigns, become a ruler or anything.   So how is it deeper?

Having a single player campaign doesn't add depth to the gameplay. It might add depth to the title, but typically, single player campaigns are stripped down of a lot of the multiplayer elements and streamlined. Take Call of Duty as a perfect example of it.

I've never undersood that arguement before, that a game can't have depth unless it sports a singleplayer campaign. The multiplayer gameplay usually has a higher amount of factors present in combat and a lot of the hand-holding removed. In my eyes, titles like that, the gameplay is definitely deeper online. Sure, there might not be some elaborate and complex storyline, but storyline doesn't = gameplay to me.

There's plenty of aspects of a game that can have "depth" or be lacking and "shallow." However, being a multiplayer only game doesn't remove any of the depth from the title itself. If the maps and systems are complex, the zerg factor is eliminated by utilizing resources, key points and areas, and the way the actual combat plays out (parries, blocks, archery), etc, it can be quite a deep system, meaning my "depth" is there.

If you log in, are in a huge arena-type map, and just zerg eachother nonstop (like Pirates, Vikings, and Knights), well, yea, I get your point. However, if there are objectives and various systems present throughout the game, and you are attacking/defending keeps, castles, and other areas, well, it's good enough for me.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Thread necromancy.

Bought this game 2 days ago, can't stop playing it - especially when I get together with a few gaming buddies and go at it in the FFA maps.  I can't recommend this game enough.  Quite fun.

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227
    How does it compare to the original mod, or to Mount & Blade, for that matter? I wasn't a huge fan of the first mod, so I'm just wondering if it will be any different. 
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

Thread necromancy.

Bought this game 2 days ago, can't stop playing it - especially when I get together with a few gaming buddies and go at it in the FFA maps.  I can't recommend this game enough.  Quite fun.

Hey Jdlamson is it smooth? Do you have to create a server or is it similar to COD serves? I just watched the video and I gotta get this!

Runs quite smooth for me.  Definitely a bit of a learning curve with the different weapons reach/mechanics, but a lot of fun.

As far as creating games, you can do it, but you can only play with bots.  Need to rent a server to be able to really make multiplayer maps.  Hope to see you in game - I go by Floyd Zilch.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

War of the Roses is much better than Chivalry. Chivalry takes almost no skill imo and is just another FPS. War of the Roses is more difficult and much more customizable than Chivalry. It is also made by the same makes of Mount and Blade. If you want a real medieval FPS then check out War of the Roses.

Originally posted by Sinaku

War of the Roses is much better than Chivalry. Chivalry takes almost no skill imo and is just another FPS. War of the Roses is more difficult and much more customizable than Chivalry. It is also made by the same makes of Mount and Blade. If you want a real medieval FPS then check out War of the Roses.

Well, I'm having fun with my easy to play, minimally customizable medieval FPS, so image.

Honestly, I hadn't heard of Either game til I was farting around on Steam the other day and ran into Chivalry.  Had I seen War of the Roses and not Chivalry, I'd have more than likely bought it.  Either way, I'm having a blast with my buddies.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Thanks for pointing this out OP!  I was a big Age of Chivalry fan.  That game was fantastic and really brought about some interesting, but very skilled, gameplay.  Age of Chivalry was the reason why I almost (ALMOST) bought Mortal Online.

Funny thing about this game - it's the first one in a long time that I'm actually looking forward to playing when I get home from work.  Hasn't happened since I first started with Minecraft.  I do think it helps that I have some buddies to play it with, though - definitely more fun laughing about having our heads go flying off.
  • wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131

Bump for this thread.

I stumbled across chivalry a couple of weeks ago and bought it. I almost went for War of the Roses but if you look at steam stats there are 3 x as many people playing chivalry as there are War of the Roses.

I love it.

It's simple, it's refreshing and loads of fun.

Well, the game is currently 50% off on Steam. I picked it up and have put in a few solid hours of play time. I'll give it some more time before making a final decision, but so far it doesn't look like it's going to be the game for me. It's more of a twitch-based FPS than something like Mount & Blade. 

In M&B, you have attack and perry in 4 directions. Foot-work, feinting, and perrying make a huge difference. In Chivalry, there is a slash, which always comes from the same direction (with an optional back-swing, which once again, always comes from the same direction), a thrust, and an over-head attack. All of these attacks are blocked with the same button (you just have to be aiming at the opponents weapon).

I enjoy the back-and-forth of M&B's combat more. In Chivalry, there doesn't seem to be much give-and-take, just go watch some 1-on-1 duels on youtube of both games to see what I mean. There also doesn't seem to be any momentum to the fights. In M&B, there is a difference in damage depending on how long I hold my swing, and I can also turn-in to my swings to increase the speed. I could be wrong, but so far in Chivalry, it feels like I'm just aiming and firing off a skill, much like an FPS game. Fights are almost always determined by who gets the jump on their opponent. 

Graphics and general polish are real nice though, and I love the kill animations. I'll keep playing to see if grow to appreciate it more. 

I went out of town for a bit and hadn't checked the forums on here. Just did, glad to see people have been trying it out.

As far as the War of the Roses comment. Completely different game, set in a medieval universe with combat. Both titles are fun, but I enjoy the camera perspectives and team objectives much more in Chivalry. But, both are quality titles, and preferences will vary from person to person.

The current back-and-forth system is relatively easy compared to other melee FPS titles, and the original Chivalry mod. The blocking system isn't the typical directional blocking and is just a right click block. However, the more people start feinting, and the recent changes to feinting, are going add a bit more variety to the back and forth.

I see people constantly going back and forth with out ever feinting. As soon as you feint, you're going to get a guaranteed hit in that scenario, so it boggles me why it's so underused. But I assume it will come with time.

If anyone wants to hop in on some FFA action, my west coast FFA server is up. I took the larger team objective maps down while waiting for the recent update that happened, but for now, if anyone wants to come have some FFA fun:

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare FFA | 10 Slot [West] 173.234.253.23

Originally posted by Adhesive33

Well, the game is currently 50% off on Steam. I picked it up and have put in a few solid hours of play time. I'll give it some more time before making a final decision, but so far it doesn't look like it's going to be the game for me. It's more of a twitch-based FPS than something like Mount & Blade. 

In M&B, you have attack and perry in 4 directions. Foot-work, feinting, and perrying make a huge difference. In Chivalry, there is a slash, which always comes from the same direction (with an optional back-swing, which once again, always comes from the same direction), a thrust, and an over-head attack. All of these attacks are blocked with the same button (you just have to be aiming at the opponents weapon).

I enjoy the back-and-forth of M&B's combat more. In Chivalry, there doesn't seem to be much give-and-take, just go watch some 1-on-1 duels on youtube of both games to see what I mean. There also doesn't seem to be any momentum to the fights. In M&B, there is a difference in damage depending on how long I hold my swing, and I can also turn-in to my swings to increase the speed. I could be wrong, but so far in Chivalry, it feels like I'm just aiming and firing off a skill, much like an FPS game. Fights are almost always determined by who gets the jump on their opponent. 

Graphics and general polish are real nice though, and I love the kill animations. I'll keep playing to see if grow to appreciate it more. 

Also, as much as I agree with you and Chivalry doesn't have some of the more complex elements (especially with the blocking system), footwork and momentum play a huge role in the combat. The problem is the current skill level of all the players is relatively in the middle. I've been dinking around in the beta for quite a while, and there's a few tricks that aren't included in the tutorial or tip screen that effectively make 1v1 combat more interesting than left click , right click , left click and hope you land.

If you'd like to go over some of them first hand in game, I'd be more than happy to show you in my public server what I'm talking about.

It's still not as deep as the Mount and Blade combat, but with time the updates will get it there, and it's not as shallow as it initially seems, either.

The team has also been great at listening to feedback, as well, so suggestions to increasing the complexity of the combat are probably taken into strong consideration, especially with them starting to focus on making it e-Sports accessible. Overall balance and everything should be relatively polished soon. And it's not a Mount and Blade replacement, just helping expanding the genre. The entire.. feeling and atmosphere of the game is just different, and refreshing.

What I'm happy about is I'm actually starting to develop a library of quality medieval combat games, hahaha :)

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202

Found the game about a month ago and it is a blast. Not a fan of the archery mechanics..I prefer "The War of the Roses" archery better but the rest of the game is too much fun. Of course look forward to getting called a "key spammer" despite the fact there is really only 6 basic movements middle wheel up (overhead)..middle wheel down (basic thrust)..MBL.(slash left)...MBR..slash right ..(I might have the directionals mixed up but the basics are there). Some classes have a special move..like rush..or dodge. Then the basic shield push or kick and block (with shield or weapon).

You will be seem to be key spamming at times..trying to time the end swing with another mouse click or wheel movement so you can carry through combos for a complete butchering of your opponent. This game is more about combos and placement combined with fancy footwork. The blocks are not as complicated as M&B because you cannot block directionally to anticipate which angle the enemy weapon is coming from. Instead its just one button..which still needs to be timed correctly to be effective.

Anyway..long-winded I know...but I have a great time whenever I play..just ignore the whining of people you butcher because if you killed them ..you likely weren't truly spamming but making combos and aiming for the neck. Avoid true spamming.Just hitting one key over and over will get you to lose your head real quick.

All in all... its a faster paced game than the others (M&B, WotR) and it runs and looks fantastic.

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    The game is 50% off right now on STEAM. Only $12.49. If you like these types of games this is well worth the price imo.
    Originally posted by Synthetick

I went out of town for a bit and hadn't checked the forums on here. Just did, glad to see people have been trying it out.

As far as the War of the Roses comment. Completely different game, set in a medieval universe with combat. Both titles are fun, but I enjoy the camera perspectives and team objectives much more in Chivalry. But, both are quality titles, and preferences will vary from person to person.

The current back-and-forth system is relatively easy compared to other melee FPS titles, and the original Chivalry mod. The blocking system isn't the typical directional blocking and is just a right click block. However, the more people start feinting, and the recent changes to feinting, are going add a bit more variety to the back and forth.

I see people constantly going back and forth with out ever feinting. As soon as you feint, you're going to get a guaranteed hit in that scenario, so it boggles me why it's so underused. But I assume it will come with time.

If anyone wants to hop in on some FFA action, my west coast FFA server is up. I took the larger team objective maps down while waiting for the recent update that happened, but for now, if anyone wants to come have some FFA fun:

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare FFA | 10 Slot [West] 173.234.253.23

Well, as promised I spent some more time playing. I've grown to like it a lot more than when I first tried it. In fact, I'm having a blast in the Team Objective matches. I just had to stop thinking in terms of M&B and accept it for what it is; an entirely different game within the medeival combat genre, like you suggested. 

I couldn't seem to find your server, but I'll give it another go the next time I'm on. Would be nice to have some people to play with over a voip client. 

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I bought the game 50% off on steam and im having a blast.  The game can be incredibly frustrating but incredibly rewarding at the same time.

• DunkiDunki Member Posts: 41

Some game play vid!

ePeenery.com

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

Thread necromancy.

I agree completely!