Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how or when can I get started with this?

SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602

Haven't followed all the information on this however have read enough horror posts of what FF14 was like at launch to know I was probably right to avoid it like the plague. Despite this though, never giving FF11 a proper go and trying to get into it is a big regret of mine however I'm determined to give FF14 ARR a good go. 

Anyhow, when can I actually start playing this? If memory serves me right, they're planning on opening it early next year, Feb I believe?  If this is the case and the game is now down until then, is there a beta or anything I can sign up for? Also, I managed to snag a copy of FF14 at a bargain price and have an unused cdkey.. is this cdkey worthwhile now or uselss? If I recall, I could have swore I heard them mention something about them rereleasing the game retail wise and that new ff14 cdkeys are unredeemable. 

Any other sites, videos, or info a potential player should know?

Thanks for your time. 

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by DarknessReign

[mod edit]

You could of as easily posted something helpful and construcutive as this and helped promote the game into the bargain.

I loathe the modern 'google it' responder generation in all honesty. I thought community was about more then that, and this is an awful advert for this particular game's tbh.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    I really loath the people who have all the tools in front of them and refuse to do the work themselves. If on the main forum you looked a few posts down you would have found the info out. It's like saying I have a fork and a knive to cut my chicken and broccoli but Its to hard can you do it for me.

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

and zenryoku that's old info. new road map in the official letter from the producer 4

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    I really loath the people who have all the tools in front of them and refuse to do the work themselves. If on the main forum you looked a few posts down you would have found the info out. It's like saying I have a fork and a knive to cut my chicken and broccoli but Its to hard can you do it for me.

So what your saying is that shouldn't be done? So forums should be bare places where there are absolutely 0 posts at all as issues are left then solely for ranting and pointless bashing?

forums are for discussions yes. But people now a days are to damn lazy to do the simplest of things. You act like this was the first time the questions been asked. its like the 400,075th time. Do some homework find the Awnsers. If you honestly can not then ask.

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602

[mod edit]

[mod edit]. For the record I did try searching "FF14 a realm reborn" and didn't come up with an awful lot. I then went on the main webpage and even that isn't really all that immediately useful without searching. Seems a lot easier to ask on here as most people here are actually friendly and are more than happy to help out potentially new people to a game they like.

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by Vesavius

[mod edit]

You could of as easily posted something helpful and construcutive as this and helped promote the game into the bargain.

I loathe the modern 'google it' responder generation in all honesty. I thought community was about more then that, and this is an awful advert for this particular game's tbh.

some people are just rude in general. anyways i just reported his post since it was more of a flame

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602

forums are for discussions yes. But people now a days are to damn lazy to do the simplest of things. You act like this was the first time the questions been asked. its like the 400,075th time. Do some homework find the Awnsers. If you honestly can not then ask.

Well the main forum doesn't even exist really for a NEW PLAYER, I'm assuming the lodestone is but it's hardly the easietthing to understand from a new player's perspective.  Still, I'm glad you think I'm lazy.. you probably spent more time ranting pointless drivel in my thread than I did actually searching, do I win a cookie or something?   

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

The game at its first launch was an impenetrable pain, be glad you missed it, worst UI and world/npc/mob layout in video game history. The team responsible didn’t know a damn thing about mmo design or features, but this new one is at least trying to catch up with the decade of global development the company has slept through. It’s a pity you didn’t use the key to get into the 1.0 game, though horrible, it’s a fascinating education, providing an absolute context to how bad an mmo can get.

As most of 1.0 info is obsolete and we don’t know all the details of ARR, and much which change by launch don’t bother getting more than the basics, As to launch times,  the dev team have been working on 2 games simultaneously until recently, now they are free to focus on ARR, so hopefully things will happen faster, but there as already been a 2 month delay on the “road map”, which is kinda good news, it shows they don’t intend to rush it again.

Alpha for the Japs is already on, with plans to open it to us foreigners in a few days, (you can apply on their site) beta may start between Jan and March, hopefully not later. Best just wait and not get too invested yet, you don’t want end up wishing they’d rush it.

As to other info, they encourage only one character, (if they keep the old payment model of charging more on the sub for extra ones) that can be every class, including all the crafting classes. You can combine skills of different classes for combos, combat may not be your style, there may still be targeting and pacing issues left over from 1.0, best to really try it out before committing. You can theoretically gather and craft to endgame, but there wont be that much  non combat at end yet. Though ARR will launch with far more variety and amount of content than 1.0 there are many things the devs have listed that they won’t have in till after launch, including some really nice features, so be aware of that. There is a question as to whether pvp will be in at launch, but FFXIV is pve focused either way.

There aren’t many videos beyond some basic alpha footage and character creator yet, I subscribe to Ken’s Crazy Gaming on YouTube, he always has vids on FFXIV.

As a total newbie you won’t have that much trouble with the game this time round, they should be making everything a lot clearer than not at all, with labelled NPCs, quest, item and crafting tips, and the map should actually be useful.

Is there anything specific about the game you have any questions about? If you’re really interested you can watch Yoshida, Wada and the gang on the video dairies, they are hilarious, (if you share the Japanese sense of humour).

The best way to gain New user info would be to go to the offical game site. The lodestone has info for beginers but XIV V1 is no more so Newbee info for 2.0 is not out but i am sure it will be the same as V1 with a few tweeks . I made a new thread for any and all info you may need. Because i can and did so your welcome to read it all or watch it all there is over 6 hours of video with a lot of info. the thread is called your one stop Shop for info check it out.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    The best way to gain New user info would be to go to the offical game site. The lodestone has info for beginers but XIV V1 is no more so Newbee info for 2.0 is not out but i am sure it will be the same as V1 with a few tweeks . I made a new thread for any and all info you may need. Because i can and did so your welcome to read it all or watch it all there is over 6 hours of video with a lot of info. the thread is called your one stop Shop for info check it out.

Actually, that's NOT the best way. I know how this sounds, but even this site is better than the lodestone if you want info. The lodestone is extremely poorly designed, and most stuff is outdated. For example, when clicking on the version 2.0 link (big image near the top left), you're taken to a page full of OLD letters, with stuff like the outdated road map on the bottom. Just one example, there are more.

It doesn't surprise me at all that OP asks here, because reliable, updated info is not easy to find.

witch is why I made the thread that should Awnser any questions just watch the video's or read . V1 UI will not be in ARR. motion movement camera movement layouts are not officially released yet. But again watching the video reading the captions you get a general idea. All info on different sites comes from somewhere mostly what was officially said or shown from producers or developers or from there main site. If the info was not from them directly or indirectly that's then called speculation witch is usually false information.