Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Sued over lax B.Net Security; Profiting on Authenticators

1234568»

Comments

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I'm guessing this is going to be laughed out of court. Blizzard offers authenticator's as an extra security layer, and as an additional service. Last time I checked, companies usually charge extra for additional services. You aren't guaranteed security by anyone. If you believe their services aren't secure I'm sure you have every right to discontinue your account and have all your information wiped from their systems.

It's funny that people think Blizzard is less secure than any other company that deals with customer information. There is no such thing as absolute security on the internet. If you're so worried about your information being disclosed then you better avoid the internet alltogether.

Some games don't even offer authenticators... one reused password, keylog, etc and your account is gone.

Of coarse it's always everyone elses fault except your own, time to get sue happy!

Blizzard will win this without a doubt... I think it will be fairly easy to check the browsing and security practices of the userbase involved, and I'm guessing it won't be pretty.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by Phry
    Sounds more like some dodgy lawyer type out to either  make a name for themselves or/and money, though how you managed to link Blizzard and Sony together in this, is just weird. More than likely the attempted lawsuit will fail anyway, its a bit like the google vs apple thing, its only newsworthy if its successful, so to speak, lawsuits are just an occupational hazard for large companies, especially with so many chancers around.image

Well, one of the big ones for me is the whole thing with selling authenticators.

If Bliz knew people needed to use an authenticator, they they knew that their network/acct security was not good enough. If they knew their security was not good enough, they should have fixed it. They can afford it.

And they REALLY shouldn't have charged people for a separate product to make up for that shoddy system in place to protect people's personal data.

They should have either incorporated the authenticator functionality into the main program, or given the authenticator away for free.

Horseshit. My company uses authenticators also. Its additional security, period. This is a bullshit case that will go nowhere as blizzard does not require the authenticator. In addition, they do offer it or free for hose who have a device at can utilize it. They only charge ( very little I might add) for the device as they are made, which isn't free. 

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    Originally posted by Lienhart
    Originally posted by Rednecksith
    Originally posted by Karahandras
    Originally posted by Psychow

I own a car.

I could spend a little extra and add a car alarm for extra security.

If my car get's broken into, should I file a lawsuit against the car manufacturer because they didn't make the car impenatrable?

These kinds of lawyers need to be lined up and shot and left to rot in a mass grave....

Can that car be opened and started with a screwdriver?

What do you know about network security and/or software security?

What do you know about hotwiring, jacking, or stealing cars?

Did you know that if you park a sport motorcycle in a condo daily (ie, live there) there is an extremely high chance someone will come in, pick it up, put it on a van, and dirve away with it and you will fail to sue the manufactorer, police, condo management AND the city?

Get your head out of your ass. Security is your own issue.

Security becomes their issue the second i have to put in any kind of personal info, such as a CC number.

Oh, so they're supposed to come over to your house and make sure your internet connection is secure, that your PC is free of malware, that you're using proper antimalware protection, that you have good browsing habits, that you don't click on suspicious emails or links, etc.?

Asking a lot for that $15 per month, aren't we?

i dont remember saying any of that in my post. good job makeing stuff up.

all im saying is if i put my personal info into their game i expect that info to be secure. and if they get hacked and it gets my acounts hacked because of it then its THEIR fault.

whats wrong with wanting my info secure ?  does it say in their TOS or somthing that they arnt responsible for my info when i give it to them?

And if I pay $14,000 for a Fireblade, I don't want it to be stolen either.

What the hell is your point? Sounds REALLY self-righteous.

Fireblade? wtf are you talking about?

once again let me try to make this very simple so you understand.

i give blizzard my info.

they get hacked and now my info is in enemy hands.

that is THEIR fault.

do you understand? or do i need to bust out the flash cards?

Nice try. Hacking is an illegal action and does not make Blizzard liable. Do you realize how dumb that sounds?

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Praetalus
    Originally posted by Rednecksith
    Originally posted by Karahandras

I own a car.

I could spend a little extra and add a car alarm for extra security.

If my car get's broken into, should I file a lawsuit against the car manufacturer because they didn't make the car impenatrable?

These kinds of lawyers need to be lined up and shot and left to rot in a mass grave....

Can that car be opened and started with a screwdriver?

What do you know about network security and/or software security?

What do you know about hotwiring, jacking, or stealing cars?

Did you know that if you park a sport motorcycle in a condo daily (ie, live there) there is an extremely high chance someone will come in, pick it up, put it on a van, and dirve away with it and you will fail to sue the manufactorer, police, condo management AND the city?

Get your head out of your ass. Security is your own issue.

Security becomes their issue the second i have to put in any kind of personal info, such as a CC number.

Oh, so they're supposed to come over to your house and make sure your internet connection is secure, that your PC is free of malware, that you're using proper antimalware protection, that you have good browsing habits, that you don't click on suspicious emails or links, etc.?

Asking a lot for that $15 per month, aren't we?

i dont remember saying any of that in my post. good job makeing stuff up.

all im saying is if i put my personal info into their game i expect that info to be secure. and if they get hacked and it gets my acounts hacked because of it then its THEIR fault.

whats wrong with wanting my info secure ?  does it say in their TOS or somthing that they arnt responsible for my info when i give it to them?

And if I pay $14,000 for a Fireblade, I don't want it to be stolen either.

What the hell is your point? Sounds REALLY self-righteous.

Fireblade? wtf are you talking about?

once again let me try to make this very simple so you understand.

i give blizzard my info.

they get hacked and now my info is in enemy hands.

that is THEIR fault.

do you understand? or do i need to bust out the flash cards?

Nice try. Hacking is an illegal action and does not make Blizzard liable. Do you realize how dumb that sounds?

I agree that first part you said sounds really dumb

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125

If fbi gets hacked can I sue the fbi? I know they have my info...I'm onto you fbi!!! <.<  >.>

But, speaking more seriously, if Blizzard failed to pursue the necessary measures, in accordance with the law, that they promised to their customers for protecting them, then there might be a case. However, if they did pursue those measures and they were still hacked, then they are not at fault. Simple.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

.....I agree that first part you said sounds really dumb

You should really read the article I linked earlier, so you don't sound as delusional as you do.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

I don't know how anyone could possibly hack a Blizzard account. After reading this thread, I decided to log in to my BattleNet account just to make sure everything was fine. I keep an authenticator attached even though I don't play because...well, you know. image

This is what happened.

• Logged in with my email and password. Asked for my auth code.
    • Entered the code. Received a wrong code message.
    • Re-entered the next code. Received another wrong code message.
    • Clicked on the "Can't Log In" link.
    • Entered my name and email address. Code sent to my phone.
    • Entered the code sent to me. Received a wrong code message.
    • Re-sent the code. Received a new one. Entered it and received another wrong code message.
    • Resent the code again. Received another new code and entered it. This one worked.
    • Received a mail asking me to remove and re-attach my authenticator.
    • Removed the authenticator. I was prompty logged out.
    • Logged back in. I was told my account was disabled because of suspicious activity. *groan*
    • Followed the instructions to re-enable my account.
    • Re-enabled my account.
    • Went to the support page and wrote a nasty response about the experience. Pressed sumbit.
    • Received a "browser cannot display this page" message.
    • Closed my browser and gave up vowing to never visit a Blizzard website again.

I guess hackers are just very persistent. 

Hey that's a neat story grimgryphon. I've had a WoW authenticator for 4+ years and have never,  not ONCE, zero, i.e. it hasn't happened ever, had any of the issues you described. I think the issue may be a user error. Like maybe you have the wrong authenticator serial number attached to you account.

Either that or you are a liar.

Hey that's an interesting response, Psychow.

It could have been a bad serial because -- like I said in my post -- I don't play but keep an authenticator attatched for security reasons.

Maybe you missed that part. Either that or you're illiterate.

All will probably become clearer, if you take into account that the site he was trying to log into, wasnt the real one.
    it looks like a combination of phishing and MitM attack, most likely his email account was hacked in the past and he hadnt changed his email password. image

How many helpings of derp did you consume before uttering that response? If you think any of that was a hacking attempt, then you need to learn how security strikes happen.

/onegreatbiggiantfacepalm

Optional PvP = No PvP