Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Factions and ability to be "free"

ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188

I understand that you can only play as the Federation or Klingon.  Setting the Klingon thing to the side for a moment, is everyone who plays as Federation IN the Federation as a Starfeet guy or can you be sort of freelance civilian? 

Does it work like that?

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

Comments

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by ompgaming

I understand that you can only play as the Federation or Klingon.  Setting the Klingon thing to the side for a moment, is everyone who plays as Federation IN the Federation as a Starfeet guy or can you be sort of freelance civilian? 

Does it work like that?

It's been a minute since I last played, but I believe everyone is in Starfleet. Though not all ships are federation ships. From what I remember you can get Ferengi ships (for example) out of lockboxes.

• DarthMajinDarthMajin Member Posts: 92
    Yes, Federation characters are all part of starfleet. You can get non-starfleet ships though from lockboxes and from the C-Store and Lobi store.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    They promised romulan and sseveral other factions before launch. See it hasnt worked out. Kind of boring being just 2 in a world of hundreds.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by DarthMajin
    Yes, Federation characters are all part of starfleet. You can get non-starfleet ships though from lockboxes and from the C-Store and Lobi store.

This being the main focus of the developers these days.

As time goes it on, this game seems to be more and more coercive in regards to making people buy lockbox keys or make C-store purchases.

And less about making the game "better".

Cryptic has like many MMO devs made many promises over the years and fulfilled all too few.

We can only hope the license for this game is not renewed and the next ST MMO will be better.

• SilverdaggerSilverdagger Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Originally posted by ompgaming

Does it work like that?

As others have stated, "no" and it's not like you can go rogue on Starfleet.  You can't join the Marquis and fight Feds or abandon technology and form your own colony.  STO is a superficial game.  There are no options for freelancing.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by Onomas
    They promised romulan and sseveral other factions before launch. See it hasnt worked out. Kind of boring being just 2 in a world of hundreds.

2 factions ! Hahahaha ! Try 1 and 2/5 th's . Even that may be and exageration.  They gave up on Klingon faction about season 3 or 4 . So you're basically confined to a very linear one faction game, going to Klingon perhaps to harvest  a bit more since the new season was introduced.