Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What killed your WOW account?

This is obviously for those who no longer subscribe to World of Warcraft, such as myself.

What killed your wow account?  Real life?  Another MMO?

Once Cataclysm hit, I grew tired of the game.  rehashed mobs, recycled instances, a toxic community.  I personally felt I paid 40 bucks for a downgrade.  I dabbled with it for a while but totally lost interest in it when A friend introduced me to Company of Heroes.  It was shortly after I discovered how good that game is that I canceled WOW.

How about you?

Comments

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

What killed your WOW account?

Hackers, at least according to my email every other week.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Level 50, I just got bored with the game. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Burning Crusade. When WOW launched I really believed it's natural progression would be to offer larger raids, (60, 80 or more), FFA PVP servers (because most other MMOs in the day did) and more meaningful rewards for open world PVP than in instanced combat.
    Once I really understood what BC was all about I didn't even bother buying it and left largely for good. (except for one short stint to try out Cata to see the revamped lands)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Everyone i used to play with left eventually. I couldnt find any other decent folks on my server and didnt wanted to spend my little spare time with brats, loudmouths and elitists.

Playing several healer-classes exclusively for years, it wasnt hard to find a guild...but the small "friends and family"-ones weren't reliable with their schedules (always people not showing up or wifes causing trouble when their men signed in for a raid without them) and the big ones were of the kind that a 14yr old snotty yells at everyone on voicechat or tells you how to play your class.

As years went by and the community changed, it got harder for me to connect and sozialise and i ended up being a loner ingame.

I also wasnt willing to pay the horrendous amount to transfer my chars to another realm. That plus by time i just couldnt stand the graphics anymore, not to speak of what that Idiotcrawler did to the game in general.

Left two month before cata... and to my own surprise i never looked back.

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101

Left maybe 2 weeks after cata release, the dumbing down of raids had irritated me since BC but Cata dumbed everything down so far it didnt feel like gritty progression through trial and error but more like an effortless but slow stroll through a scenery you've already seen, but without the nostalgia and memories because its been slightly reworked for the worse (imho).

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541
    Boredom of constant chasing neverending gear threadmill. That plus Cataclysm announcement :(

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I enjoyed my time in WOW.  It's a good game.  What killed it for me?  Probably once I reached max level the raiding.  I'm just not a raider and I only pvp casually, not enough to get very good.  Both raiding and pvp take up a big chunk of time.  I'm more of a social gamer.  I liked the bla bla bla in SWG's cantina's, visiting with friends or going on little hunting parties for crafters.

Like I said, I enjoyed my time there.  To this day I think it is a better game than many other mmo out right now.  Maybe if they incorporated more of a social game I would go back.  It's probably too late though.

I think the graphics are okay.  In some places it looks really nice, especially with all the graphical options turned up.  But I did get tired of the style after awhile, and not being able to design my character with more options.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Not enough content, cream through each expansion then rest till the next... its a cycle for me...
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• guascoguasco Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Blizzard greed,

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

The community killed it for me. PvPers whining about their stupid arenas getting my class nerfed, little kids in instances telling me how to play my class, people watching their DPS meters instead of getting out of the fire, folks using the LFG system to grief people, and the lack of any sort of meaningful interaction in general (among other things) pretty much did it.

That, and good old fashioned burnout. I'd played the game on and off for 6 years, and it just got tiresome. In fact, I'd say that's when my MMO burnout began to manifest itself.

Now, I don't really play MMOs. Looking forward to Hawken and that's about it.

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298
    I played WoW during a month, Lich King, after reaching cap in 3 weeks I spent 4th week doing those BGs, got bored of this casuality, and left. 4 years later, WoW is still the same shit, there is no reason to play it for more than 1 month.
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    I stopped seeing a game and started seeing a skinner box.
  • NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Got bored about a year ago and quit with pretty much my whole guild.  Started playing another MMO and have no desire to go back.

Wow went downhill after it's top developers left (early-mid wotlk I think). Now it's just a game for kids and super-casuals. Especially after it's latest addon.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

For me it was really nothing more than burnout after having played for several years (vanilla through wotlk) combined with the fact that many of the people I enjoyed playing with had stopped playing.  I resubscribed for 1 month when Cata released and that lasted for 1 month only.  That was the last time I played.  

I didn't leave WoW with any hatred for the game whatsoever.  I obviously enjoyed it for nearly 6 years.  I even loved the completely redone old world of cataclysm.  During that 1 month I resubbed, I took one of my 80s to 85, but also leveled 3 brand new characters from 1-60 (all but 1 a repeat class, since I already had all but one class at 80) each following a completely distinct quest path.  I enjoyed all three leveling experiences.  

But when it came back to end game, I just had no more motivation.  I had no desire to prove myself to a new guild and rise through the ranks again.  Been there, done that.  I started as a nobody in WoW and had risen through the ranks, all the way to the top in BC when I was part of a guild that competed for and attained most server firsts.  In WotlK, I raided with a smaller, more intimate group that broke off from our old 25 man group in the new 10 man raids.  It was more casual and less intense, but we were good.  People can say what they want about the difficulty of 10 mans at the time, but the data speaks for itself.  Very few 10 man groups were able to complete all 10 man hard mode content when it was relevant.  Encounters like Firefighter, heroic Vezax, Yogg and Algalon remained insanely challenging for a very long time in WotlK.  We were one of very few 10 man guilds that killed Lich King on the very first week (with 3 attempts left!)

I had nothing left to prove in WoW.  And yet, with having to find a new group to raid with for Cata, I found I had to prove myself all over again.  I just wasn't up for it.  The gear tredmill only exaggerated this sense of futility.  What would I have been proving myself for?  To get BIS gear once again!  I had BIS or near BIS for 3 expansions--and all of that was now irrelevant.  Bah!  Just didn't care to do it again.  

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Burning Crusade.   I was young enough and naive enough that I thought that WoW will evolve in diffrent direction than it did.

Once I realized what direction BC takes WoW I did quit.  Seeing what happened to WoW later with WOTLK and later expansions I was right and I don't regret that I did quit.

• ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294
    Repetative content that forced me to attend a certain kind of playstyle in order to continue developing my character. Then again, that's true for most MMOs, isn't it... /sadface
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

The terrible direction they want particularly during WOTK. After Ulduar (which seemed they might be going in a decent direction) it only slipped massively down hill. Its only getting worst and worst. Their new talent system is just a massive "F*** you" to the player base, making it super dumbed down and basically being done in order to make balance easier.

Blizzard killed WoW for me, no need for competition to do that. Poor design choice that only gets worst each expansion since TBC (Which wasn't perfect but at least had good things added) just made the game a poor choice for me.

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101

Even the would-be trolls of this thread decided to leave their bad attitude behind to instead relieve themselves of their grudges against WoW. To all my fellow disillusioned WoW vets out there, disappointed that WoW never evolved to bo more than just a pretty grind when it had the potential to be so much more, i feel you.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Assuming "killed" equals canceled:

Dailies.

That's pretty much all we're supposed to do now, it seems. No thanks!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Bc

I hadn't liked how vanilla wow had got more raider orientated the prior 9 months or so.

I thought bc might bring something new. But it was more grind shit to get gear to grind more shit. I realised wow for the loot addiction based game it was and quit.
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    When they put in BGs.
  • GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189

PvP graveyard spawning.

I was mining ore on my warrior when i bumped into another paladin who was obviously mining himself. I killed him 5 times with him popping back suiciding himself on me after a short while to annoy me. (he sucked at pvp)

I said &%¤ this #¤%&& pvp and logged off.

I could actually kill a guy then fight his buddy, only to have the guy i killed come back to make it a 2 vs 1 again.

This was one off several reasons that made me quit WoW.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    My account will be closed for the I don't know how many times it's been. I keep thinking it's a good game and I am sure to a lot of people it is. But I think I have been trying to convince myself it is what I want to play and it isn't. So though close to WoW but just enough to be a little different I am giving Rift another shot. Though the chat seems to be a direct wow clone.

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225
    Found myself doing dailys, and only dailys, or those weekly dungeon points grind. Realized thats a rather dumb way to play the game, as well as not really caring or knowing my guild members(no one talked much, you try to talk and you got lucky to have 2 min of chat). The guild part could be my own fault on not finding the right people of course. Story was rather bland too. You get a few spots where it showed progress in the war, and other spots where even after the quests, those Horde npcs you killed are still slaughtering Alliance ones. Mists looked interesting, but not interesting enough to warrent my buying it. 
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    When they put in BGs.

It was the same for me. I remember a RL friend I was on the phone with requesting me to join him in a BG before I even knew what it was (wasn't visiting forums in '04), he then explained to me that it was an "instance" and would be a lot of fun. It quickly became clear to me what kind of path the game was heading.

The entire reason for me playing WOW in the first place, was to experience the world of the Warcraft universe that I had enjoyed for so many years. Instances by nature are world destroyers, so I left before I became any more attached to the game than I already was.

Have some great memories from WOW, but I do not regret my decision to say adios when I did. 

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb