Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3, are we to blame for the disappointment?

DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

I came across this article, and i found it interesting : http://www.examiner.com/article/the-3-d-s-of-d3-demons-disappointment-and-discontent

What about you guys, do you feel like D3 is failing, or people are generally upset with it, and why? I think the article raises some interesting points about how the markets have evolved, and how we the consumers seem to have an identity crisis. 

Comments

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

D2 and D3 are alike?  

That article lost all credibility in the first paragraph.   I won't disagree they have similar elements, but games are not about what is there and more about how everything is implemented and works together. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No greed is to blame. Greed of wanting a steady stream of rmah cash, then designing the game around it, even if it means sacrificing fun.
  • dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

When Diablo 2 was released it was the pinnacle of gear treadmill gaming.

Now, it is not. It's that simple.

(and effin yes, D3 is exactly the same as D2, jesus, I mean, come on, really).

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by thinktank001

D2 and D3 are alike?  

That article lost all credibility in the first paragraph.   I won't disagree they have similar elements, but games are not about what is there and more about how everything is implemented and works together. 

"On the surface the game’s core design is the same as it’s predecessor,...."

Kill stuff, get loot, move on. Core design.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

D3's launch failure was due to an idiot producer, Jay Wilson, not understanding what made D2 special.  Luckily the community let him know what was wrong and they've worked to address it.  Unfortunately they've probably lost millions of people in the process who won't return.

The RMAH wasn't D3's problem.  It was the difficulty of Inferno, lack of a long leveling grind (finally addressed with Paragons),  and boring grinding just for gold.

P2W existed in D2.  It was called D2JSP.

I'm very happy with the changes.  They need to next deal with bots.  It's a freaking joke.  They destroy the economy, but luckily I can still enjoy the game even with them around.  It's just not as rewarding as it would be without bots.

• SilverchildSilverchild Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    No greed is to blame. Greed of wanting a steady stream of rmah cash, then designing the game around it, even if it means sacrificing fun.

QFT.

The RMAH is to blame. I remember a blue post admiting they had to tone down the drop rates because they wanted people to have to use the AH.

On the other side, I believe "we" are also to blame for the disapointment. We will buy anything with the name "blizzard" on it. The quality of blizz games will continue to diminish until the sales start to drop.

I don't know about the "We have changed" part. Maybe he has. Maybe you have. But I have just as much fun farming Bunk3r in Borderlands 2 just to see what will pop out of him as I did farming Mephisto in D2 for the same reason.

Kill stuff, get loot, move on.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Mostly this. Where are the phat loot drops in D3? I play an ARPG for the compulsive loot chase. But when you have a RM auction house you're taking a cut of, you get real stingy with the loot. I have 3 friends and myself who played D3 for aprroximatey 10 weeks each and none of us ever saw a single set piece drop. A SET piece, that needs multiple pieces to really work, and 4 people playing for 10 weeks can't get even 1 to drop??!!! That is beyond ridiculous and into new heights of ludicrousness. Blizzard's greed indeed ruined D3.

Originally posted by Senadina

Mostly this. Where are the phat loot drops in D3? I play an ARPG for the compulsive loot chase. But when you have a RM auction house you're taking a cut of, you get real stingy with the loot. I have 3 friends and myself who played D3 for aprroximatey 10 weeks each and none of us ever saw a single set piece drop. A SET piece, that needs multiple pieces to really work, and 4 people playing for 10 weeks can't get even 1 to drop??!!! That is beyond ridiculous and into new heights of ludicrousness. Blizzard's greed indeed ruined D3.

Set peices were also one of my big issues with the game. According to the strategy guide, all of the set pieces are level 60, so Inferno mode drops?

Can anyone confirm if this is still the case?

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I'm conviced anyone who uses "greed" in their arguments are under 25 and don't have a clue how the REAL world works. 
    Originally posted by Psychow
    I'm conviced anyone who uses "greed" in their arguments are under 25 and don't have a clue how the REAL world works. 

well, how does it work?

They gouged the drop rates because they wanted more people to use the RMAH. How would you call that?

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257

There was a huge post on the official forums about the difference in game versions that were presented at events and in the videos before release.

While I am too busy with school and other games to really get back into D3, I was more turned off by how rare items dominated the game and how few legendary items there were.

All I heard people saying in game were how crap legendary items were, followed by their offers on the best rare items in the game.

The only way I could get into D3 as much as I got into D2 was if they increased the number of legendary items across all 60 levels (drop rates don't have to increase) and more crafting recipes for even more legendary items across 60 levels.

EDIT: In regards to my first point about the post on the official forums, I don't remember the name of the post but I will try to find it if it is still alive.

Originally posted by Silverchild

well, how does it work?

They gouged the drop rates because they wanted more people to use the RMAH. How would you call that?

I never used the RMAH once. I call it self control. I also call it "use the gold AH if you feel you need to buy your gear"

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Whaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaaaa D3 was a great game, what? Did you expect it to cure cancer too?  I got 70 hours of play time out the game that's a damn sight more than I have got out of most games today, such as all of 30 mins out of touch light 2 before I fell asleep at the keyboard.  You all expecting far to much, take your D2 rose tinted glasses off and then take a proper look at diablo 3 in the context of today not 12 years ago.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Problem is I know its not a change of mindset because I found greater enjoyment in Torchlight (2 being a big one) and Path of Exile which were far closer to the old Diablo 2 model. Issue is the game was designed rather poorly and just made it felt mroe 'forced' then the old game did, lacking the realy joy of making a character of your own in exchange for 'the same old character everyone has'. I have a blast making characters on Torchlight 2 and making up builds for them, something Diablo 3 lacked badly on. I just have 0 reason to play it. The biggest factor I think is their desire for that 'end game' that a dungeon crawler realyl should not have as an easy accomplishable feat. Add in the flaws in their mechanics and systems as well as having difficulty associated with cheapness (don't go tell me its fair having an undodgeable 'prison' on a mob with a ground effect able to pop up right on you and give you no chance to save yourself) it just ruined the game.

The fact torchlight 2 and Path of Exile exist and are a far more enjoyable gaming experience for the dungeon crawler genre only further show that I crave the old system, and with the right adjustments keeping it the same its still a blast. 

well, how does it work?

I never used the RMAH once. I call it self control. I also call it "use the gold AH if you feel you need to buy your gear"

Thats fine and all, but that doesnt address the greed issue.

Tuning the drops down was done simply in an effort to increase profits, and the game suffered badly because of it.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

well, how does it work?

I call it an attempt to blatently make more money off of it. You can't really defend that move. Still I'm not really mad at the AH as a whole, just that move is pretty clearly greed there in a desire to earn more cash off the game. RMA is going to happen, just it would likely be players trading or on websites selling the good themselves and raking in the cash. 

RMA just helped show that it doesn't stop gold sellers.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by expresso

Whaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaaaa D3 was a great game, what? Did you expect it to cure cancer too?  I got 70 hours of play time out the game that's a damn sight more than I have got out of most games today, such as all of 30 mins out of touch light 2 before I fell asleep at the keyboard.  You all expecting far to much, take your D2 rose tinted glasses off and then take a proper look at diablo 3 in the context of today not 12 years ago.

Ok, give me a minute.

Yep, D2 was and is still better than D3 by leaps and bounds. And what do you mean by "in the context of today?" The fact that it has been over 12 years since Diablo 2 came out means Diablo 3 should have at least been an improvement of the old system, like they did between Diablo and Diablo 2 right? Unfortunately for us WoW came out between the release of D2 and D3 and contaminated the recipe. The fact that none of the original Diablo team from Blizzard North is still around calling shots is probably what sunk the ship though, all of the free thinkers and innovators were forced out of Blizzard in exchange for cheap labor and market predictors. It probably doesn't help that they built the game as a test bed for RMAH rather than a stand alone title. Titan, whenever it is revealed will be closely tied together with an "improved" RMAH. Just you watch.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Jay Wilson failed as a Dev without integrity.

He got the cheek to tells David Brevik, Diablo creator to F*ck off.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Diablo-3-Jay-Wilson-Tells-Diablo-2-Designer-Fans-F-ck-Off-45895.html

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by evilized
    Originally posted by expresso

Ok, give me a minute.

Yep, D2 was and is still better than D3 by leaps and bounds. And what do you mean by "in the context of today?" The fact that it has been over 12 years since Diablo 2 came out means Diablo 3 should have at least been an improvement of the old system, like they did between Diablo and Diablo 2 right? Unfortunately for us WoW came out between the release of D2 and D3 and contaminated the recipe. The fact that none of the original Diablo team from Blizzard North is still around calling shots is probably what sunk the ship though, all of the free thinkers and innovators were forced out of Blizzard in exchange for cheap labor and market predictors. It probably doesn't help that they built the game as a test bed for RMAH rather than a stand alone title. Titan, whenever it is revealed will be closely tied together with an "improved" RMAH. Just you watch.

I disagree on all points, nothing more to say.

If Blizz didn't take a cut of the RMAH...would people still complain? 
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

That article lost me when it stated:

"D3 offers nearly all the same amenities that D2 offered, minus a few classes (if including the expansion’s additions), and several new ones. With an updated graphical presence, and new leveling systems."

It certainly didn't meet that statement on release and it still has a way to go even today.  The product you release is what determines how many people stick around.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by Senadina

Set peices were also one of my big issues with the game. According to the strategy guide, all of the set pieces are level 60, so Inferno mode drops?

Can anyone confirm if this is still the case?

No, it isn't the case.  They are just so freaking rare that since you spend the vast majority of your time at 60 that is where you will get almost all of your set pieces.  I had one at level 42 but never got another one so it didn't really matter as 1 can't make a set.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    If Blizz didn't take a cut of the RMAH...would people still complain? 

The problem is the AH in general, it ruins the immersion. With the previous two Diablo games a person had to either find their own gear or find something they could trade for an item they wanted. There is a very elaborate barter system in place completely driven by the community. This meta is what led to the success and longevity of Diablo 1 and 2. With Diablo 3 you:

A. Kill monsters.

B. Sell loot to vendors for gold.

C. Buy whatever you want from the AH with that gold.

OR

D. Spend real life money on the items and have the gear to max out your character without having to set foot inside 1 game.

There is no metagame to keep people occupied. Everything is neatly tucked into its own little box with no room for users to make their own fun. I'm hopeful that Blizzard will continue to work on fixing the game and turn it into something that I can pick up again 7 years from now and have some fun. The Paragon system, the legendary and set piece revamp and the other smaller changes they have made recently are a good start but they have a long way to go. If Blizzard can keep plugging away, maintain forward momentum and not just write off D3 as a loss and look to their next game I think there is a chance to salvage the title. Hopefully they see it the same way.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531
    Lol , I wasn't expecting much out of D3 coming out of the WoW team , and Torchlight 2 is sooooo much better!!   The only thing  D3 confirmed is that Blizzard are crap outside of WoW , even the original WarCraft which Blizzard was well known for in the past has lost it's sparks.   Only a matter of time before the WoW population wakes up and start playing something else alot more worth while.