Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would happen if a AAA sandbox mmo be released?

maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

There is a poll.

In my opinion, the second alternative is more likely to occur because the following motives: players that like themepark with single-player like content, with instant gratifications, without any risks or loses, in general "consume" the pve content provided by the developers and when that content ends (what is almost inevitable), they DONT obtain fun from the player enviroment allowed by the game itself, but asks for more and more single-player like pve content.

This make more likely they abandon their themeparks (temporaly or permanent) and "invade" the AAA sandbox, without the necessary change in behavior and mentality needed to play a sandbox and handle its enviroment (Ex: social interactions and skills, training self defense and being vigilant and smart, actively dodging dangers, tolerate and understand losses and frustrations, to have a better vision of the whole, less laziness, etc) . This create the perfect situation to little annoyances  in the game (thing that they unknows) and they start whining asking for changes that let their enviroment and gameplay less risky and more "self-centered", what, if made, gradually can disfigure the mmo and make it loses its "sandboxiness".

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Is this even a question?

See: The last 100 releases.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    I could finaly ignore all the Konsole Kiddies trying to destroy my mmo experience with their single player [mod edit]
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Do you mean a sandbox like A Tale in the Desert, or more like Darkfall?  Or maybe more of a sandthemeboxpark like Vanguard or Fallen Earth?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Originally posted by Vhaln
    Do you mean a sandbox like A Tale in the Desert, or more like Darkfall?  Or maybe more of a sandthemeboxpark like Vanguard or Fallen Earth?

Or more of the "both of those answers are right"?  Or, at least, not mutually exclusive.

Seems to be a cleverly constructed "which half of the gamers do I want to rip" troll.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

qft

half of this forum would say it sucks b/c it's not a true sandbox without feature x. And then they would start complaining how no one understands their needs.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

It would fold quicker then a spanish soccer player and then live out it's life in obscurity with a stable but tiny playerbase of rabid fans.

A bit like Eve... but smaller.

This have been a good conversation

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

The same thing when a themepark MMO comes out

"this release sucks, worst release of any MMO ever"

"wow, they lied about x feature and y feature sucks!"

"why is the game so buggy?"

"so and so MMO has way more content, why play this at all?"

"if you can make a better MMO, do it yourself n00b" (this one is my favorite, its hilarious)

"why is all sandbox MMOs focused on deathmatch PvP?"

"why is this sandbox MMO focused so much on PvE? carebears trololol" (mostly relates to Ryzom, since its the only PvE sandbox MMO)

"this MMO sucks. Way overhyped."

"you are just haters, all of you are trolls! ALL OF YOU!"

"if you dont like it, leave" (and then everyone leaves and the MMO dies)

I think I got all the major ones that would relate to a sandbox MMO...it doesn't matter if it is a themepark or sandbox, the sceanario will be the same

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    I think it would be unrecognizable as a sandbox within a year.  Eventually it would become an endgame oriented gear grinder.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

As long as people limit themselves to so-called "AAA" games, they will continue to add to the problem of mass market consumer gaming: make a game that will sell the most boxes by appealing to the broadest audience possible.  Sanboxes are niche games that will sell fewer boxes, but can and have the potential for a much more dedicated long-term fanbase.  

EvE is considered successful with it's whopping 300k subs.  If a AAA game had 300k subs, it would be on its way out of business.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Same as has happened in the past:  a large fraction of the players who say they want an AAA sandbox would insist that it wasn't AAA.  Another large fraction would insist that it wasn't a sandbox.  Both groups would promptly resume complaining about the lack of AAA sandboxes.
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Same as has happened in the past:  a large fraction of the players who say they want an AAA sandbox would insist that it wasn't AAA.  Another large fraction would insist that it wasn't a sandbox.  Both groups would promptly resume complaining about the lack of AAA sandboxes.

lol, you have been reading this forum too long, Q.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Bunch of people would flock to it based on AAA-level hype.

1% of the players would be utter asshats (because it's a sandbox and they can do whatever they want), making the game inhospitable for 99%. 94% leave - citing the game as either too hard, lacking focus, poor story, or just don't get the point. 1% continues being asshats, and the other 5% log on occasionally just so they can keep the "street cred" of saying they play.

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

Any mmo that isn't only a single-player game with others people running around can be used as example, but i think more specifically in a mmo like UO.

Originally posted by tawess

It would fold quicker then a spanish soccer player and then live out it's life in obscurity with a stable but tiny playerbase of rabid fans.

I sincerely doubt this very much. UO was a succesfull mmo and still today is active, losing only to graphically updated mmos that came after 1997.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by maccarthur2004

I sincerely doubt this very much. UO was a succesfull mmo and still today is active, losing only to graphically updated mmos that came after 1997.

What is considered the definition of "active" in MMO terms? Not shut down? 100 poeple? I'd say that qualifies as "live out it's life in obscurity with a stable but tiny playerbase of rabid fans." 

Originally posted by Roxtarr

Sanboxes are niche games that will sell fewer boxes, but can and have the potential for a much more dedicated long-term fanbase.

I dont think that sandboxes are niche, i think that indie mmos are niche. A polished AAA sandbox would do much success.

EvE is considered successful with it's whopping 300k subs.  If a AAA game had 300k subs, it would be on its way out of business.

EvE ia almost perfect, but is not everyone that like their tematics and animations, and the game itself was not a big budget made by a big company.

If there would a game like EvE with a fantasy tematic, certainly would do more success.

Originally posted by Psychow

What is considered the definition of "active" in MMO terms? Not shut down? 100 poeple? I'd say that qualifies as "live out it's life in obscurity with a stable but tiny playerbase of rabid fans." 

This mmo is from 1997 with a very very outdated graphic (isometric view) and still more with some "carebearization" (Trammel patch). Give a discount! :D

LoL, very true. :D

But you could cite a AAA mmo released in the last 10 years that can be considered sandbox?

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    The same thing that happens every time Pinky, Try to take over the......wait no, people will just moan and groan about bugs, balance, mechanics, grinds, pvp, endgame, queues, dead servers,, you know the usual.
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Bunch of people would flock to it based on AAA-level hype.

1% of the players would be utter asshats (because it's a sandbox and they can do whatever they want), making the game inhospitable for 99%.

Very hard to happen, because 1% of the players never will have the power to "own" all the rest, still more if the majority of the playerbase is not finicky players came from themepark mmos with their "little girl" mentality and attitude. And nobody in any mmorpg have this freedom, because his actions produce consequences from others players or the game itself.

• bishboshbishbosh Member Posts: 388
    i dont think themepark players would dislike a well made sandbox. most people dont know what they like until you show it to them. the industry just likes to play safe and hence keeps pumping out themeparks because WoW. 

But you could cite a AAA mmo released in the last 10 years that can be considered sandbox?

Uncharted Waters Online

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Uncharted Waters Online

Uncharted Waters is a F2P/P2W game that wasn't even done by a AAA  MMO studio... How exactly is it AAA again?

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

Originally posted by Vunak23

Uncharted Waters Online

Uncharted Waters is a F2P/P2W game that wasn't even done by a AAA  MMO studio... How exactly is it AAA again?

So if F2P means a game isn't AAA, then that means SWTOR, LOTRO, Vanguard, EQ2, CO, STO, Aion, and quite a few others aren't AAA.  It's actually a subscription game in Japan, but the publisher that handles the English language version seems to think everything should be F2P.

As for the studio, Tecmo-Koei has about 30 years of game design experience (on both the Tecmo and Koei parts, if you go back to before the merger) and gets several hundred million dollars in annual revenue.  That certainly makes them smaller than EA, Blizzard, and NCsoft.  Can you think of any other studios that have made at least one MMO and are larger than that?

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

All the Sandbox fans would flock to it, and enjoy it greatly. 

All of the serial game jumpers would also flock to it, because its a AAA MMO release and they play all of them. some might enjoy it, some might not.

Many Themepark fans would also play it to see what its all about.

After a couple of months, all of the serial game jumpers would have moved onto the next title, the themepark fans would have decided that they dont like it because its not a themepark, many of the sandbox fans would have left because of all the whining the thempark fans were doing before they left, and only the hardcore sandbox fans would be remain. 

After a couple more months, the game would shutdown or go F2P because there arent enough hardcore sandbox fans to support a AAA sandbox MMO. 

Originally posted by Ridelynn Bunch of people would flock to it based on AAA-level hype. 1% of the players would be utter asshats (because it's a sandbox and they can do whatever they want), making the game inhospitable for 99%. 94% leave - citing the game as either too hard, lacking focus, poor story, or just don't get the point. 1% continues being asshats, and the other 5% log on occasionally just so they can keep the "street cred" of saying they play.

This. See: Darkfall.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom