Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aside ArcheAge, any other AAA sandbox mmo to be released?

maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

Seens that ArcheAge (AA) will be the first and only AAA sandbox mmo to be released in these last 10 years. Your producer, Jake Song, said that AA will be the "spiritual sucessor" of UO. So, we can wait to have back UO in a updated graphical version.

Jake Song classified the mmos in 2 generations: the first generation are mmos like UO, Lineage and similars. These were mmos with big freedom and poor graphics, producing true "societies" in-game . The second generation started with WoW, with mmos with good graphics, huge content, but very little or no freedom, with single-player like content. Song said that ArcheAge want start the third generation, retaking the freedom and recreating the "virtual worlds" of the first generation, but incorporating the graphical and some fun tools of the second generation (Ex: quests).

He said too that first mmos created societies while the modern mmos created a playerbase completely dependent in developers content, that consume all content of the mmo in little time and constantly asks for more, creating a vicious cicle.

However, i know only AA. Anyone knows any other big budget or AAA mmo to be released or produced that can be considered sandbox?

Comments

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Probably world of darkness.  
  • VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

I doubt we will see a AAA sandbox.  Take a look at Greed Monger.

http://www.greedmonger.com/

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    Everquest Next

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Everquest Next

Possible, I'm pretty bummed that it will have classes.  

• DouganDouganDouganDougan Member Posts: 15
    Sandbox are good, but are not casual friendly
  • Spider3Spider3 Member Posts: 33

Archage

The Origins of Malu

Greedmonger (+1 for this :P released hopefully within end 2013. Alpha on April 2013. Kickstarter campaign funded and last 11 days to acquire your lands with no parcel restrictionsè)

Everquest:Next

Pathfinder Online

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by DouganDougan

Um sandboxes are more casual friendly than themeparks lol. Your statement is false. Think clearly on what you said and try again.

Oh and for games, some listed already but add black desert and the repopulation also.

Lot of sandboxes coming. Industry knows themeparks have been rode far too long and there is no advancement there.

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428

lol... wut?

I found UO very casual friendly because I could play when I wanted to, how long I wanted to, and I would eventually get to the "end" in time.

i dont need to think about it, sandboxs are more hardcore than themeparks. Probably u will come with your White Knight defense of sandbox, but i played both (Sandboxs: UO, EVE, AC, etc) - (Themeparks: WoW, FFXI, Rift) 

And of course, Sandboxs are hardcore compared with themeparks.

Edit: Hardcore is not about: i can play when i want.. is about how much u need to play to "stay on top" of your server.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by Venger
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Everquest Next

Possible, I'm pretty bummed that it will have classes.  

am certain that alot of people on this forum will call EQnext full out themepark, once we see what they mean with sandbox-like...will see but would be suprised, if that doesnt happen...am looking forward to see what they make of EQ3...but then am one of those non exsisting EQ2 players.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Onomas

Um sandboxes are more casual friendly than themeparks lol. Your statement is false. Think clearly on what you said and try again.

This ^

In Sandboxes there is no carrot to chase, so there is no need to play 24/7 like in most Themeparks

Back on topic, according to Smedley (SoE), EQnext will be a sandbox.

I will believe it when I see it.................

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

well to be fair

a) most people that have played it dont think of aa as a true sandbox but rather a hybrid, a "themepark plus" if you willl and

b) "to be released" is wishfulthinking...aa wont be released before 2015 in china...so you can make up your mind about when it will come out here (probably will be outdated by then anyway since its using a combat system that is allready outdated today...)

my hope as of now is everquest next and black desert online

another one would be embers of caerus (or something like this)

and the repopulation

• UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281

Darkfall Unholy Wars.

These other games being mentioned are not "sandboxes".  You cannot have a true sandbox game with artificial faction systems, fake territory control, and no-loot PvP.

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

• EvilskeyEvilskey Member Posts: 16

I mean I'm really hesitant to post in this thread as I'm not entirely sure what YOU classify as a AAA sandbox mmo. I mean I think understand what you are trying to get at....basically complete and total freedom from a major game publishing company? I think your best bet will be real life. Real life is the ultimate sandbox.

Otherwise you are going to have to settle for sandbox like games because I don't think there's ever going to be a game that offers you total freedom unless you are a computer programmer and create your own gaming platform, and then spend twenty years constantly adding as many options / paths into it as you can every time you get a random idea for a feature in game that brings you closer and closer to total freedom. . .

The only major sandboxish game coming out in the very near future (witin the next couple of months) in my opinion that is far far far away from themepark land is Darkfall: Unholy Wars. It caters to the pvp crowd but has a lot of sandbox attributes in it.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

i dont need to think about it, sandboxs are more hardcore than themeparks. Probably u will come with your White Knight defense of sandbox, but i played both (Sandboxs: UO, EVE, AC, etc) - (Themeparks: WoW, FFXI, Rift) 

Edit: Hardcore is not about: i can play when i want.. is about how much u need to play to "stay on top" of your server.

And that's exactly where you are wrong.. In themeparks all there is to do is "stay on top of your server" with your gear. Sandboxes have much more content to them, so there is no treadmill. In a real sandbox you do what you want, when you want to. And there is way more to do than just combat. The themepark mentality of "staying on top" is a childish and invalid goal within a sandbox where there are many things to do other than combat. 

whoooop whoooop

wonder why mmorpg.com hasnt introduced it to the list yet

Originally posted by AvsRock21

And that's exactly where you are wrong.. In themeparks all there is to do is "stay on top of your server" with your gear. Sandboxes have much more content to them, so there is no treadmill. In a real sandbox you do what you want, when you want to. And there is way more to do than just combat. The themepark mentality of "staying on top" is a childish and invalid goal within a sandbox where there are many things to do other than combat. 

and if u want to be competitive in your server you have to play a lot more than in themeparks where people are leeched on raids getting drops playing bad.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Didn't the developers call it a "SandPark"?  Doesn't this usually turn off Sandbox fans?

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

honestly, i think sandparks with active (non tab) combat are the future...

i think true sandboxes are just too niche and themepark dont deliver enough substance and longevity

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Didn't the developers call it a "SandPark"?  Doesn't this usually turn off Sandbox fans?

I think there are two types of fans.

One can accept a 'little bit different' approach, and evaluate things on their own merits.

For the other, it's a political party at least (oftentimes bordering on a faith).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

sandparks.........lol

sandboxes have quests, doesnt make it a sandpark. Thats the glory of being an open world sandbox. Please dont try to dum,b down sandboxes by adding themepark garbage to them.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Uzik

Darkfall Unholy Wars.

These other games being mentioned are not "sandboxes".  You cannot have a true sandbox game with artificial faction systems, fake territory control, and no-loot PvP.

Yup - this is true sandbox and does not have ANY rails at all.  You can travel to and explore really anywhere you desire to along with naval battles.

Originally posted by Uzik

Darkfall Unholy Wars.

Um 75% of all sandboxes dont ahve pvp as a criteria lol. Its a huge misconception that has plaqued sandboxes for a long time.

Sandbox DOES NOT mean open world full loot pvp.

Just saying.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

Yogventures is comming out as well, according to the yogscast's simon "it's all about being a dwarf, and digging, and blowing **** up!" But, from what I have seen it looks like it will be shaping up to be a light hearted, well done, sanbox game. with resources collection, tera forming world influencing, crafting, player owned houses etc.

Now runescape has some sandboxy features and isn't really themepark to begin with (unless you consider that the oldest versions of the game were likely an attempt to make an MMO out of sorcerers kingdom for the sega genesis). But, the runescape Team claims in the comming year not only will they rework farming, player owned houses, kingdom running and the like, but add new levels of depth to the crafting system and a whole lot more sandbox type content.