Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Sued over lax B.Net Security; Profiting on Authenticators

Comments

• kturockkturock Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by kturock

WRONG. Read my 1st post.

My acount was hacked 1 year after I UNISTALLED AND QUIT PLAYING THE GAME. I never gave anyone the password. I used an uncommon password. ie. not password, wow my account, 1234, et c.

I quit the game. I cancelled my subscription. I unistalled the game.

I got serveral notices from WoW stating I was doing illegal activity and about to be locked, then it was locked; all within the space of several hours WHILE I WAS AT WORK. By the time I got home, my account was locked. I called the toll free number and talked to a CSR. They said the same BS you did.

I told them that I quit playing WoW over a year earlier, when my subscription ran out. The agreed that my subscription was inactive and didn't know how it had activity, even though the admitted it did. I told them to cancel, close, delete or whatever was needed to keep the account from being used. The CSR said he couldn't do anything more than was already done. He couldn't even delete it, just lock it.

Don't tell me that Blizzrd or WoW has never been hacked, because I have been.

I work with a guy who has 3 accounts, 1 for him and 1 for each of his 2 kids. All 3 have authenticators. All 3 have been hacked before and after having the authenticators. All use complex passwords.

WoW is responsible for our informations security; just the same as bank cards, charge cards and all internet accounts are liable.  When a bank gets it's account hacked, like discover card, they cancel the accounts and issue new ones. 1 of charge card companies even gave 1 year of free ID protection from an independant company.After 1 year, you had the choice to renew or cancel. It was on the national news.

So let me get this straight...

You think someone "hacked" into your account, activated and paid for a new subscription, then proceeded to... "do illegal activity"?  Something is missing from your story here, because if you cancelled/uninstalled/etc, then what exactly did they do, if not resub you?  That makes no sense.

Sounds more like you got one of many "real" emails from Blizzard claiming illegal activity just to get you to try in log into a fake site to harvets credentials.  As for Blizzards end, they probably just started telling you whatever they could to get you off the phone, because your story is a bit off.

I don't know how it's off. I called Blizzard's customer support. I never replied to any email. I never logged in to any site. They said they did lock the account because it had illegal activity. They don't know how it was in use, since my subscription wasn't paid, but it was used.

I had no contact with Blizzard or WoW until the 3-4 notices. Then I called them, from the number on their website; not from any email.

They locked the account. They annotated that I agreed to never use it again and have not used it for 1 year; and that any further activity was fraudulant.

Someone hacked into Blizzards site. They got my info and hacked my account. They started using the account. Blizzard claims it wasn't possible, but it happened and they agreed it did. I gave them my secondary email address.

I received a confirmation email from Blizzard to my secondary email account. Any official emails from Blizzard are to that account. Offering me to return or free play or upgrades.

Anything to my primary account is phishing.

Since I don't play WoW or D3, it's all moot to me.

But to say Blizzard has never been hacked is BS. That's why they changed everything to 1 server and closed down the others. [warcraft, starcraft and diablo had different servers than WoW originally.] That's why they started selling authenticators; because they know their security was/is, crappy.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    These are the same people who demonize corporations for being greedy. Go figure.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Another really popular way for scammers/hackers to get your information is to hack the guild sites and fansites.  WoW has, by far, the most fansites and guild websites out of any game.

The guild sites especially have weak security because they are usually cheaply made and paid for.  Once the website is made, the guild leader starts recruiting people from in-game and they will request that the new recruit creates an account on their website.  If that new recruit makes the mistake of using the same, or similar, account name and password, then chances are, that player will be hacked in the future.

This has even happened to me in Everquest 2 and I started getting scam emails sent to me on my alternative email address that I used to sign up for some guild's website.  When I first saw the scam email I thought to myself "thats weird, why is Sony sending me this stuff on this email" and then I realized what had happened.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    This is a frivilous law suite.  Some lawyer trying to make a name for themselves.  The authenticator is just another method for  protecting your account.  Silly to even argue about it.  They have zero chance of succeeding.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I own a car.

I could spend a little extra and add a car alarm for extra security.

If my car get's broken into, should I file a lawsuit against the car manufacturer because they didn't make the car impenatrable?

These kinds of lawyers need to be lined up and shot and left to rot in a mass grave....

I don't know how anyone could possibly hack a Blizzard account. After reading this thread, I decided to log in to my BattleNet account just to make sure everything was fine. I keep an authenticator attached even though I don't play because...well, you know. image

This is what happened.

• Logged in with my email and password. Asked for my auth code.
    • Entered the code. Received a wrong code message.
    • Re-entered the next code. Received another wrong code message.
    • Clicked on the "Can't Log In" link.
    • Entered my name and email address. Code sent to my phone.
    • Entered the code sent to me. Received a wrong code message.
    • Re-sent the code. Received a new one. Entered it and received another wrong code message.
    • Resent the code again. Received another new code and entered it. This one worked.
    • Received a mail asking me to remove and re-attach my authenticator.
    • Removed the authenticator. I was prompty logged out.
    • Logged back in. I was told my account was disabled because of suspicious activity. *groan*
    • Followed the instructions to re-enable my account.
    • Re-enabled my account.
    • Went to the support page and wrote a nasty response about the experience. Pressed sumbit.
    • Received a "browser cannot display this page" message.
    • Closed my browser and gave up vowing to never visit a Blizzard website again.

I guess hackers are just very persistent.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • zephermarkuszephermarkus Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by zipzap
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Authenticators weren't created because of bad security on Blizzard's end.  They were created to protect gamers from themselves.

very true and the mobile version is also free...

Here come teh fanboys!! Blizzard have my babies! I  will say this once it is never the consumers fault!

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Psychow

I own a car.

If my car get's broken into, should I file a lawsuit against the car manufacturer because they didn't make the car impenatrable?

These kinds of lawyers need to be lined up and shot and left to rot in a mass grave....

Can that car be opened and started with a screwdriver?

Originally posted by grimgryphon

I don't know how anyone could possibly hack a Blizzard account. After reading this thread, I decided to log in to my BattleNet account just to make sure everything was fine. I keep an authenticator attached even though I don't play because...well, you know. image

This is what happened.

• Re-sent the code. Received a new one. Entered it and received another wrong code message.
    • Resent the code again. Received another new code and entered it. This one worked.
    • Logged back in. I was told my account was disabled because of suspicious activity. *groan*
    • Re-enabled my account.
    • Went to the support page and wrote a nasty response about the experience. Pressed sumbit.

Hey that's a neat story grimgryphon. I've had a WoW authenticator for 4+ years and have never,  not ONCE, zero, i.e. it hasn't happened ever, had any of the issues you described. I think the issue may be a user error. Like maybe you have the wrong authenticator serial number attached to you account.

Either that or you are a liar.

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662
    Originally posted by Karahandras

I own a car.

What do you know about network security and/or software security?

What do you know about hotwiring, jacking, or stealing cars?

Did you know that if you park a sport motorcycle in a condo daily (ie, live there) there is an extremely high chance someone will come in, pick it up, put it on a van, and dirve away with it and you will fail to sue the manufactorer, police, condo management AND the city?

Get your head out of your ass. Security is your own issue.

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Lienhart

I own a car.

Did you know that if you park a sport motorcycle in a condo daily (ie, live there) there is an extremely high chance someone will come in, pick it up, put it on a van, and dirve away with it and you will fail to sue the manufactorer, police, condo management AND the city?

Security becomes their issue the second i have to put in any kind of personal info, such as a CC number.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

I own a car.

Security becomes their issue the second i have to put in any kind of personal info, such as a CC number.

Oh, so they're supposed to come over to your house and make sure your internet connection is secure, that your PC is free of malware, that you're using proper antimalware protection, that you have good browsing habits, that you don't click on suspicious emails or links, etc.?

Asking a lot for that $15 per month, aren't we?

Originally posted by Rednecksith

I own a car.

Oh, so they're supposed to come over to your house and make sure your internet connection is secure, that your PC is free of malware, that you're using proper antimalware protection, that you have good browsing habits, that you don't click on suspicious emails or links, etc.?

i dont remember saying any of that in my post. good job makeing stuff up.

all im saying is if i put my personal info into their game i expect that info to be secure. and if they get hacked and it gets my acounts hacked because of it then its THEIR fault.

whats wrong with wanting my info secure ?  does it say in their TOS or somthing that they arnt responsible for my info when i give it to them?

This is what happened.

• Re-enabled my account.

Hey that's a neat story grimgryphon. I've had a WoW authenticator for 4+ years and have never,  not ONCE, zero, i.e. it hasn't happened ever, had any of the issues you described. I think the issue may be a user error. Like maybe you have the wrong authenticator serial number attached to you account.

Hey that's an interesting response, Psychow.

It could have been a bad serial because -- like I said in my post -- I don't play but keep an authenticator attatched for security reasons.

Maybe you missed that part. Either that or you're illiterate.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

This feels like a good spot to drop this article about internet security. Hopefully it puts some things in perspective.

Kill the Password: Why a String of Characters Can’t Protect Us Anymore

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

And finally, it seems, MMORPG.com got around to "reporting" this story, just about a week after other people did and this thread was started.

But really, it isn't "news" any more, when it is that old of a story.

They missed the boat, so why bother...

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

I own a car.

all im saying is if i put my personal info into their game i expect that info to be secure. and if they get hacked and it gets my acounts hacked because of it then its THEIR fault.

whats wrong with wanting my info secure ?  does it say in their TOS or somthing that they arnt responsible for my info when i give it to them?

And if I pay $14,000 for a Fireblade, I don't want it to be stolen either.

What the hell is your point? Sounds REALLY self-righteous.

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    some of you just need to take some responsibilty for your own actions and stop blaming everyone else.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by expresso
    some of you just need to take some responsibilty for your own actions and stop blaming everyone else.

if only, so many people treat security like a joke, and when they get hacked, or fall foul of a phishing mail etc, they complain that its everybody elses fault except their own, honestly some of the complaints, reasons for complaints just highlight how little they know about the subject, hell some of them shouldnt be allowed within 3 feet of a computer, let alone one that has access to the internet. People seriously need to learn how to protect themselves online, especially if their trawling the seedier side of the internet, as seems likely. image

• DouganDouganDouganDougan Member Posts: 15

99% hacked accounts are because people go websites for bots, buying gold, unsecured websites, etc.. deal with it.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

This is what happened.

• Re-enabled my account.

Hey that's an interesting response, Psychow.

It could have been a bad serial because -- like I said in my post -- I don't play but keep an authenticator attatched for security reasons.

Maybe you missed that part. Either that or you're illiterate.

All will probably become clearer, if you take into account that the site he was trying to log into, wasnt the real one.
    it looks like a combination of phishing and MitM attack, most likely his email account was hacked in the past and he hadnt changed his email password. image

I own a car.

Fireblade? wtf are you talking about?

once again let me try to make this very simple so you understand.

i give blizzard my info.

they get hacked and now my info is in enemy hands.

that is THEIR fault.

do you understand? or do i need to bust out the flash cards?

I own a car.

i give blizzard my info.

that is THEIR fault.

Did they get hacked? I have never heard that news. 

• Hyperion5182Hyperion5182 Member Posts: 66

They've kept it quiet but yes. And they werent the only ones.

Sony account security is better than most people realize and they got hammered too. EA got friggin taken down. That WOULD be blizzard's fault.

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

I own a car.

i give blizzard my info.

that is THEIR fault.

Did they get hacked? I have never heard that news. 

Yes, they wer hacked in August. The mere fact that you did not hear about it only supports the claims of the Plaintiff that Blizz did not do enough to warn their players after the hack occured. 

Again, I have seen Blizz's official response to the suit. Many here have. They refute a lot of claims of the plaintiff. But, they do not refute the claims that Blizzard has made a profit off the sale of authenicators. There is also the may 22 statement where they say no customers with authenticators have been hacked, then the massive outcry of people on the forums claiming that was untrue and the may 26th reversal by Blizz of that statement saying that people with authenticators had in fact been hacked. So there was deception there about a product they sold,. That is not at all in doubt.