Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should MMORPG.com also cover MMORTS games?

2»

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Considering LoL, Dota, GW1 and Diablo 3 are on here, we may as well have GTA, Team Fortress, Battlefield, COD, Counterstrike, Starcraft, and any other game that has an online component of any shape or form.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Axxar
    It already covers games that aren't even MMOs, so why not?

I dont think they should cover those either.  Games like Firefall, or Planetside 2 are not RPG's and those should be covered in the RTS and FPS guru sites.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin

I dont think they should cover those either.  Games like Firefall, or Planetside 2 are not RPG's and those should be covered in the RTS and FPS guru sites.

I personally don't mind if they cover non RPG games as the genre has outgrown just being RPG MMO's. My only thing is why is it on here if its not an MMO?

I just figure the site needs to adapt some... but I fail to see how adding games like a 4 player co-op makes any sense at all.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Psst.  We do not get a vote.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by madazz

I personally don't mind if they cover non RPG games as the genre has outgrown just being RPG MMO's. My only thing is why is it on here if its not an MMO?

I just figure the site needs to adapt some... but I fail to see how adding games like a 4 player co-op makes any sense at all.

Because many co-op games (like Diablo 3) are very close in play style to some MMOs (like WOW). And there are a lot of cross over players (for example, at least 1.2M wow players played D3).

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531

I'm fine with a game being on this site if it's an MMO, because non RPG MMOs didn't really exist when this site was created, but putting games like D3 etc on here is not a good idea IMO. It's basically a sell out to get more traffic. Another way to look at it is false advertising. If you want to cover non-mmos create a non-mmo site.

But as has previously mentioned I don't think they care much about what people on the forums think about what is covered. We probably constitute less than 0.1% of the traffic.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

OH i can get 30 people in a server lets slap mmo on the front of it and pretend its a real one. I mean seriously. MMORTS/MMOFPS?

Unless you have progression, persistant world, and a handful of other criteria they are not mmo's. Hell BF3 is more of a mmo than half these so called mmofps (warz) are claiming to be. Just because you can fit 100 people into a server, doesnt make it a mmo.

Originally posted by Onomas

OH i can get 30 people in a server lets slap mmo on the front of it and pretend its a real one. I mean seriously. MMORTS/MMOFPS?

Unless you have progression, persistant world, and a handful of other criteria they are not mmo's. Hell BF3 is more of a mmo than half these so called mmofps (warz) are claiming to be. Just because you can fit 100 people into a server, doesnt make it a mmo.

This can be fixed by a simple change to the name of the site. How about just MOG? Multiplayer Online Games.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

This can be fixed by a simple change to the name of the site. How about just MOG? Multiplayer Online Games.

Well mmorpg.com also has:

http://www.rtsguru.com/

and

http://www.fpsguru.com/

Well mmorpg.com also has:

http://www.rtsguru.com/

and

http://www.fpsguru.com/

Not as convenient as one destination.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

I, like many others, have been coming to this site called mmorpg.com because I have an interest in mmorpgs. If I had an interest in another genre, guess where I'd be posting?

If you have a love of pick up trucks why in fuck would you go to a motorcycle website and request that they change their name and content to better suit pick up truck fans? It's almost as if you were looking for some sort of of new gaming hobby, got lost, and somehow ended up on mmorpg.com.

The end of this bizarre age of entitlement cannot come soon enough.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Torvaldr

I think they should broaden their horizons even more.  They should have one portal like some other sites with easy access to sub-categories like rpg, rts, fps, etc.  One of those etc tabs should be a portal for browser based gaming where gamers can meet and play casual together if they want.

Online gaming is changing rapidly.  What made "mmorpgs" 15 years ago aren't what they're going to be today or in the future just like the internet isn't going back to 1995, newsgroups are essentially dead, and how we used computers then won't return either.

If they provide multiple options of access under a single portal people can get together to do whatever they want but still talk with like minded gamers if they choose.  This way the mmorpg purists can focus on that and the rest of the gamers can participate there and elsewhere as they desire.  By diversifying and especially opening themselves up as a gaming portal they have the opportunity to diversify their revenue streams as well and not be tied to the rapidly aging ad spam model.

Agreed. The whole MMO genre has undergone a lot of changes through the last 10 years. It is not very useful holding onto old "purist" ideas and narrow the scope of the site to just that.

Originally posted by Cecropia

I, like many others, have been coming to this site called mmorpg.com because I have an interest in mmorpgs. If I had an interest in another genre, guess where I'd be posting?

If you have a love of pick up trucks why in fuck would you go to a motorcycle website and request that they change their name and content to better suit pick up truck fans? It's almost as if you were looking for some sort of of new gaming hobby, got lost, and somehow ended up on mmorpg.com.

It is not like posting here and on other sites are mutually exclusive. If some MMORPG are discussed here, what is wrong with posting here?

Do you go to gamefaq.com? It is not like game site cannot cover more than 1 narrowly defined genre.

It is not like posting here and on other sites are mutually exclusive. If some MMORPG are discussed here, what is wrong with posting here?

Do you go to gamefaq.com? It is not like game site cannot cover more than 1 narrowly defined genre.

Are you trolling or do you really not get his point?

nethervoid - Est. '97

Originally posted by nethervoid

Are you trolling or do you really not get his point?

He has no point except to say "he does not like it", ignoring the fact that this site ALREADY covers multiple genre.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

yes but prefer to remove those that arent MMOs (aka hero zero e.t.c.)

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Why not? Its already hard enough to sift through the CORPGs listed as MMOs on here.

It would probably be easier to just call all games MMOs than to get people to understand why we have categories.

nethervoid - Est. '97

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    I with the majority that MMORPG.com already covers a lot of MMORTS games and for that I'm thankful!

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by nethervoid
    It would probably be easier to just call all games MMOs than to get people to understand why we have categories.

As stupid as that is, I think you're 100% correct. La la land is something to behold so close up.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Torvaldr

I have a love of offroading so I like to talk about all sorts of offroad vehicles of all sorts, offroad gear, offroad locations, and activities that one does while offroading.  Why the fuck would I only talk about pickups in offroading when there is so much more.

The end of this bizarre age of derp and throwing out meaningless memes like "entitlement" cannot come soon enough.

You make so little sense its actually embarassing. I will TRY to explain.

On the internet there are sites that are dedicated to certain topics. For this example lets say, cars. So you go to a car site to talk about any and all cars. But lets say you wanted to focus just on Ford, a normal person would assume that an actual Ford site/forum would probably have MUCH better Ford specific information than a Dodge, Honda or Toyota site. These specific sites do actually provide more detailed information! A Honda site isn't going to help you find that missing piece from an old Ford as easily as a Ford enthusiast website. This is where people who share a specific interest meet to share and gather information.

In gaming there are many genres. Someone who likes an FPS may not like a Strategy game and vice-versa. So, what we have been doing for a long time as a society is categorizing things, kind of like in a library. This has been applied to games. So years ago what happened was a bunch of people found a common interest in a genre of gaming called MMORPG's. They created a website that was different from your general gaming websites in that it concentrates solely on MMORPGs. Over time the genre has grown, and we have accepted that MMO's in general are covered here. I for one like it. But the person you are defending is suggesting that we no longer focus on MMO's and instead focus on any multiplayer game. Now, if there are already sites that cover multiplayer games in general, why does this MMO site need to be the same as them? Why can't this one site focus on a specifc genre of games?

You remind me of a lady I read of in the news just recently. She went to a barbershop that was advertised as "Men only" and was upset when she was turned down. She then tried to sue the barbershop owner!!!! Thing is, next door to him is a hair salon, and down the street are one of those dime a dozen hair cutter places. Why does she feel entitled to take this away from us? Afterall, just 2-3 blocks down from this barbershop is a womens only gym. I don't care about that. I understand why they want their own gym and respect it. This barbershop could close down and she would have just gone next door anyway. Let this site be. People on here argue, disagree, disrespect each other, work together, make friends and much more, and all because we share one common interest (MMO's in case its not getting through). Now you are trying to dilute that and turn it into something bland and tasteless. Go to gamespot.com if that is what you want.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I'm pretty much an exclusive fan of MMORPGS and I come to this site for that info.  I'm ok with other genres invading this site as long as they aren't the majority...but I still voted no.  Definitely not a fan of MOBA'S DOTA's RTS or whatever you want to call them this week.  Looking for a virtual world not strategy games.

• MMO-BPMMO-BP Member Posts: 21
    Most of the MMORTS games have RPG elements, so I really don't see why not. 

I don't even think there are a lot of pure virtual world MMOs anymore. Many MMOs have an element of lobby co-op instance gaming. And many players play MMOs like a lobby game.

This site obviously cover those, and even straight non-MMO like Diablo 3 because the play style is so close.

I am all for widening the net. There is no reason why we cannot talk about all these online games with some RPG elements.