Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum Moderators get heavy handed

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Repeating complaint threads on subjects that are already addressed deserve deletion. New threads only muddy the waters and smack of whining. How many threads about botting do their forums need .. Theyve spoken their peace so whats the point of another thread? Its nkt like theyll suddenly jump when it gets to thread n
    umber 42.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by evolver1972
    Originally posted by Baseline

(...)

You haven't been to the GW2 official forums have you?  There are many threads about in game issues.  Many are locked because they've either been addressed or because they are duplicates.

I have yet to see ArenaNet do one dishonest thing.

Agreed, people are just blowing things out of proportion and until I see substantial proof of the contrary, I will keep on believing in Arenanet.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by muffins89
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

not only is there a sticky about it

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/On-Botting-and-What-We-re-Doing-About-It/first

there's another post by the lead dev

Hey folks,

Since it has been a few weeks since we gave an update on this, just wanted to quickly update where we stand. We recently hired an entire new team of people with one mission in mind: operation bot destruction.

They’ve been getting everything in place to accomplish our goal of making botting, hacking, spamming, and malicious behavior as non-existent as possible in Gw2. In the last few weeks, over 10,000 bot accounts were banned from the game alone. Another area of massive improvement has been in account security, where our two-factor authentication as well as your password changes have led to account thefts dropping to a tiny rate. A vast majority of account thieves use those accounts to run bots and/or perform RMT transactions, so our serious beefing up of account security has led to fewer bots, and most importantly fewer stolen accounts. That being said, we have massive improvements on the way in the next couple of weeks that help us detect, verify, and remove botters.

What we don’t want to do is have someone report you as botting, we ban the account, the bot appeals, and we have no data to prove they were botting on file so we have to give them the account back. Ensuring we have 100% clear data on bots that’s incredibly easy for our GM team to quickly verify, and when an appeal is submitted verify within seconds if the person was truly botting is our most important goal. We don’t want to ban people who were not botting, and we want to keep the people who are permanently locked out.

Bottom line: We’re doing ok, but we know we can and need to do much better on this front and are putting massive resources behind ensuring we have a permanent solution to this issue. You’ll see a dramatic improvement in this area in the next few weeks as our remaining detection and bot destruction tools and staff come online.

We’ll continue to keep updating on this front as we go forward, but rest assured we are aware of issues folks are raising and take them incredibly seriously. From FOV to bots, account restoration to more awesome stuff to do at level 80 we have teams working like mad on all of these fronts.

really not sure what else you want from them.. they said they just got a whole team working on it I know on Rall I haven't seen any bots in over a week now

that post was essentially made in response to Lewis B's article about hack/exploits.  if Lewis would have never published that Anet would have stayed silient.

Even if Lewis B's article was solely responsible for this response--and there's simply no way you can possibly know that; asserting otherwise is fruitless speculation--are you implying that this somehow invalidates Anet's response?  A criticism was raised, and Anet addressed it in a professional manner.  What more would you have liked? 

I'll add that not only is it only speculation that Anet wouldn't have addressed the issue in absence of Lewis B's article, but the numerous personal responses they've given to dozens of issues and questions raised by mere fans on their forms and elsewhere demonstrate exactly the opposite. 

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Another recent example:

guildwars2forum.com/threads/13980-Issues-with-GW2

(was going to post to the more recent thread on the subject, but it got locked for some reason.)

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Redhawk2006Redhawk2006 Member Posts: 105

There is a tradition of free speech in the West and while some may try to justify censorship as Anet's right, censorship has always been viewed as cowardly at best and dishonest or sleazy at worst. Trying to stifle free debate is not going to keep players from learning the truth or spreading the truth about the game; it can only lead to an angry backlash particularly among those who have been gratuitously banned for even the mildest criticisms or questions.

A legit company not only tolerates criticsm, it encourages it, as it is only through customers openly expressing their wants and complaints that the developers can learn what they need to do to improve the game and meet customer expectations. There's a reason every car on the road has cupholders and other amentities completely unnecessary to the performance of the car. Developers who try to immunize themselves from customer feedback through censorship are not likely to be too concerned with producing a quality product.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I only noticed threads about the same topic getting merged. I receive regurarly emails from forum moderators saying that my post was in a thread that was merged with an already existing thread. Including the link to my post in the new thread.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Another recent example:

guildwars2forum.com/threads/13980-Issues-with-GW2

(was going to post to the more recent thread on the subject, but it got locked for some reason.)

i ws banned a few days ago for "staff callout" after quoting an employee.  at least they're consistant.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Redhawk2006

There is a tradition of free speech in the West and while some may try to justify censorship as Anet's right, censorship has always been viewed as cowardly at best and dishonest or sleazy at worst. Trying to stifle free debate is not going to keep players from learning the truth or spreading the truth about the game; it can only lead to an angry backlash particularly among those who have been gratuitously banned for even the mildest criticisms or questions.

This. They seem extremely unsecure to criticism, where their peers in general understand and deal with it. This is one thing I'm very against in their ways. I've been warned a couple times and both really cup-cake issues for forum par. Way over-moderated, totally un-Fonzi cool.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

I'm not defending them for possible excessive moderation on the forum, but that "free speech" nonsense is always funny.

There's no such thing as free speech in a private space, and their game is a private space. Of course, they can't break the law by e.g. discriminating and forbidding game access to (e.g.) people with a specific skin color, or of a specific gender for instance. But on their forums, they can moderate as they want, just like you can do in your home.

You come in my home, behave in a way I don't like, or say things I don't like, I can throw you out, and no laws can stop me from doing that. I can actually kick you out without any reason if I choose so, it's me who controls who comes into my house. Same thing if you behave inappropriately in a restaurant, a bar, or any other private space open to public. And same for ArenaNET and their property, both on forums and in game.

I'm always hoping that the posters who abuse that "free speech" card are very young and therefore need more experience in life to realize what it's all about, but sadly most of the times it's adults. It makes me wonder in what world those people are living.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by cptndunsel

Players have been pointing out issues with bots, bugs, in-game changes they don't agree with (nerfs, class changes, monthly achievement changes, dungeon loot etc) and for the most part it had been polite feedback.

Now, however, as Anet has failed to address basic items like bots and bugs, has not listened to feedback around their changes in game, and have made other odd moves (such as the recent change in WvWvW to remove Orbs because of hacking issues and Anet inability to fix the game - so poof - gone now along with the bonus to stats they provided) people have become more vocal.

Moderators are now taking a very heavy hand, deleting threads they don't like, issuing bans etc. even if the "complaint" is voiced in non-hostile, non-vulgar way.

This is never a good sign. Moderators have far too much power, restrict the honest exchange of ideas and feedback, and the forums become the realm of fanbois. Same thing occurred with TSW - its not at all player friendly.

Restrict vulgar people -yes. Shut down discussion and feedback on broken elements of the game? Epic fail.

That's funny because I've been very vocal for engineers pve and against DR and the problems with MF and most definitely the downward spiral away from the manifesto that infused armor represents, they haven't touched ANY of my replies my threads or my complaints and some of them have been when I was angry and hadn't quelled my words in the slightest. hmmm must've been something you said i dunno.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Toxia

Here are a few threads i found with a quick search, they are still going and not locked or nothing....

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Getting-Fed-Up

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Orbs-will-be-removed-from-WvW-in-an-upcoming-build

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Why-Orb-Removal-Will-be-Very-Bad-for-WvW

so yeah, if they are deleting threads, its most likely because they are duplicates.

Many of mine were duplicates had harsh language and they simply merged them. 

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

GW2 is such a horrible game and Arenanet is such a horrible company. Guess that is why all the servers are at  High at 12:00 PM EST on a Sunday and their XFire hours yesterday were 25K compared to Wow'S 31k. No need to bash TSW, FC up for sale says it all

don't the trolls realize no one cares about  these threads. These forums were long ago taken over by the trolls hopeing they can pwersuade 1 more person to their dying games. People will try and play what they want and what thier real life freinds are playing

I miss DAoC

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by cptndunsel

Same thing occurred with TSW - its not at all player friendly.

COMPLETE BS mate, I´ve never seen similar fascist methods of censoring everything like Arenanet in ANY other forum, also certainly not TSWs, so don´t make up stuff please.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by Jackdog

GW2 is such a horrible game and Arenanet is such a horrible company. Guess that is why all the servers are at  High at 12:00 PM EST on a Sunday and their XFire hours yesterday were 25K compared to Wow'S 31k. No need to bash TSW, FC up for sale says it all

don't the trolls realize no one cares about  these threads. These forums were long ago taken over by the trolls hopeing they can pwersuade 1 more person to their dying games. People will try and play what they want and what thier real life freinds are playing

Yeah, it say McDonalds vs. 5 star dining, guess what is what - popular says nothing about the quality of games, it only says the more hype and advertising money, the more people fall for something and think this is the game to play.

Also ya know F2P with gambling boxes vs. Premium sub game... yawn.

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by FromHell

Yeah, it say McDonalds vs. 5 star dining, guess what is what - popular says nothing about the quality of games, it only says the more hype and advertising money, the more people fall for something and think this is the game to play.

Also ya know F2P with gambling boxes vs. Premium sub game... yawn.

you know in some cultures cockroaches are considered fine dining.

http://www.trendhunter.com/slideshow/edible-insect-delicacies

might just be me but I would rather eat big mac and I don't think I have ate one of those in close to 30 years now

people have different opinions of what is a quality game and what is not. GW2, WoW, and TOR are the most popular game out there right now. Also bitching about popular games seems to be very popular on these forums. I suppose a lot of people here like the cockroach games

I miss DAoC

might just be me but I would rather eat big mac and I don't think I have ate one of those in close to 30 years now

people have different opinions of what is a quality game and what is not. GW2, WoW, and TOR are the most popular game out there right now. Also bitching about popular games seems to be very popular on these forums. I suppose a lot of people here like the cockroach games

In my book popular is for easy minds. Think Justin Bieber. Or the latest "blockbuster" in cinemas. It´s very obvious and I tried a lot of "popular" games and only liked a very small number of it. GW2 is certainly none of the popular ones I want to play.

It´s just too... welI, I don´t have to say anything nice about it except that they have a good graphics- and marketing department, so I better stay out of this discussion.

The Return of ELITE !

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125
    You know, before gw2, Arenanet never had official forums. They just posted on gwguru and other unofficial forums. Then people complained and said they should have offcial forums for gw2. Now they do and again people are complaining. Sometimes, I wish they had kept it the old way, without official forums.
    Originally posted by FromHell

In my book popular is for easy minds. Think Justin Bieber. Or the latest "blockbuster" in cinemas. It´s very obvious and I tried a lot of "popular" games and only liked a very small number of it. GW2 is certainly none of the popular ones I want to play.

It´s just too... welI, I don´t have to say anything nice about it except that they have a good graphics- and marketing department, so I better stay out of this discussion.

just out of curiosity what MMO's do you find mentally challenging? To me they are all just push button A then push button B, pick this up carry it to there time sinks. Only difference is how pretty their graphics are, the number of bells and whistles such as voice acting etc, and how they designed their timesinks.

no physical dexterity required like FPS games, no mental dexterity either like a good turn based wargame. Just devote x amount of time and you too can be get that uber armor or kill the raid boss. I have pretty much gave up on the genre myself, gone back to games that requuire something more than staying up all weekend looking for groups

I miss DAoC

• ssj4brandonssj4brandon Member Posts: 1

They are very strict b/c i got this.

This is an automated message. Your post in Long Bow versus Short Bow — casual Mists tests was infracted.

Your original post in Long Bow versus Short Bow — casual Mists tests:

LB be great if i stop getting OBSTRUCTED!! OR MISS!! Half the time :P

Moderator Notes:

Your post violates our code of conduct for inappropriate formatting. Please refrain from the use of caps when posting.

• The message was deleted.

• XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132

I'll always commend them for at least having a forum.  I lobbied for them and maintain that it was a good decision.  That's industry standard as far as I'm concerned.  Of course they're getting heavy-handed now, though.  They have good reason; players are furious, and the company is or ought to be in panic mode.

But I'd rather be over-modded by the developer's PR people than by an amateur at guru (or here, for that matter) with a chip on his shoulder.  The result is the same for stifling discussion, but on the official forum at least the developer gets the blame for censoring dissidence, as well it should.

Peace and safety.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

As I have said before, their forum, their rules. Play by them - no issues.

Don't like how they moderate, don't post there.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    They should have never had official forums in the first place.  Too many people don't deserve to be heard.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Forum moderation there is just as unprofessional as how they handle their broken-in-almost-every-aspect-game in general.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.