Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could Star Wars Galaxies 2 be possible now??

Comments

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

For all this time when SWG was online it got nothign but abuse on daily basis. It was one of the most hated MMOS on these forums second to WOW. And now when it is gone for good people can not stop praising it. I read how SWG even after NG was still oen of the best MMO, same people who discouraged everyone else from playing it now want it back.

I just don't get it.

You don't really know what you have until it's gone, I guess.

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by Obraik

For all this time when SWG was online it got nothign but abuse on daily basis. It was one of the most hated MMOS on these forums second to WOW. And now when it is gone for good people can not stop praising it. I read how SWG even after NG was still oen of the best MMO, same people who discouraged everyone else from playing it now want it back.

I just don't get it.

You don't really know what you have until it's gone, I guess.

People that want SWG back are not exactly dreaming of the NGE version.

The old SWG is gone; the best we can hope for is an updated game based of the pre-cu design, with the content added during the years.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Not going to happen, SW mmo's are done...they will never be attempted again..

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by SuprGamerX
     Highly possible , SW:Tor is done for by 2014.   Their biggest mistake was shutting down SWG , so I'm pretty sure they had a plan B which is SWG2.

I'd say you're right. There has to be a dev studio out there willing to spend the next 5-7 years making a game that 300k people will buy and enjoy.

Has to be.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by WhiteLantern
     Highly possible , SW:Tor is done for by 2014.   Their biggest mistake was shutting down SWG , so I'm pretty sure they had a plan B which is SWG2.

I'd say you're right. There has to be a dev studio out there willing to spend the next 5-7 years making a game that 300k people will buy and enjoy.

Has to be.

CCP did.

But I see your point. We are better with todays game, where deleopers spent 5-7 years of making, give away for free and almost nobody will like.

• vedasvedas Member Posts: 4
    With new movies coming out there is no reason there can't be an SWG2. There will be new planets, new people, new creatures. It will be crazy and they are going to HAVE to do something to please the fans game wise. You will see either a SWG2, a Battle Front 3, or a Jedi Knight 4. Something will come with this new content and it wont just be a crappy "movie" game.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Sandbox

CCP did.

Didn't it take roughly 5 - 8 years for it to grow to that size?

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Elijarh

OK guys.. Don't have a stamping paddy about another SWG thread, I had a thought the other day [mod  edit] Someone said to me that a new Star wars Galaxies would not be possible due to the nature of the large open worlds and the modern game engines available now that could cope with such size and be a visual treat also. Well ... I'm Currently Playing the PS2 Beta and that  Forgelight engine is amazing, Can't say much(NDA).. Surely that engine  could easily handle all the planets in the SWG miniverse in stunning detail with all thoses wookies running round too.  Am I still clinging to a wish that it wil happen or just sandbox mad. Just bored of the F2p trash popping up al the time.  ..Ok im done... ready for the abuse...

:)

In short and i can not do better than this..

*NO*

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

As far as I remember, LA and EA/Bioware put together a 10 year plan for SWTOR, it's already looking bleak after over a year and now Disney has their hands on LA and may dictate SWTOR's future. I'm not sure what to make of the server status when I look at them now, in the evening they show heavy and very heavy on many servers so I'm not sure if they lowered the server status threshold or there is an actual increase in active players, no one in my guild of 400 some odd members play SWTOR at all and we're a Star Wars centric guild that's been together since 2001.

Personally I don't see a SWG 2 ever happening, a sandbox game like pre-CU SWG doesn't fit in today's MMO genre anymore. If SOE was ever to develop SWG 2, it most likely will be a themepark-like game, Smedley even once said that he wished they launched SWG in the NGE format instead of revamping it.

I'm not buying anymore EA nor Biowar product in the future, I'm a big SimCity fan and there's a new SimCity game coming out in a few months, I'm not even getting that especially at $80. Cities XL is significantly better in some ways.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Enigmatus
    Originally posted by Sandbox I'd say you're right. There has to be a dev studio out there willing to spend the next 5-7 years making a game that 300k people will buy and enjoy.
    CCP did.
    Didn't it take roughly 5 - 8 years for it to grow to that size?

It took five years to develop, and another seven years to get into the black. We can be pretty sure that their plan wasn't to hang around at the brink of bankruptcy for years before becoming profitable.

No developer is going to purposely follow CCP's path. CCP didn't purposely follow the path they did. It just happened to work out for them because they were really tenacious.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

How does a second failed Star Wars MMO make it likely that they'll build a third MMO? SWG was profitable, but had mediocre success compared to the games that released both before and after it released. The single player games made a ton more money. The single player games targeted at children, specifically.

There's more incentive to build Star Wars:101, similar to Wizard 101 or Pirates 101 than there is to build an SWG2. Their games targeting children do better overall, and MMOs targeting children as the primary audience are second only to WoW in terms of players and revenue.

SWG2 just isn't going to happen. The closest anyone is going to get is a game that has the mechanics of SWG, without the Star Wars IP.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

I just don't get it.

there is people who like and dislike every  single game on these forums

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

There are both haters and fanbois that post.

The unwanted NGE version of SWG was what was drove the playerbase away. There were some nice additions to SWG post-NGE, but the core of the game was still rotten with the NGE changes.  I think many praise SWG for some of the very innovative systems it had and what it once was, not so much the SWG post-NGE version. While I loved SWG pre-NGE, I didn't much care for what it had become and the loss of a once wonderful community (Intrepid for me) was the final deal breaker.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

If they released a pre NGE version it could be a success,but I don't see that happening unless SWToR is dead and they close it down.

I really liked SWG,if only for it's in depth crafting.Going on an expedition to try to find great resources to harvest was time consuming.but the reward was worth it.Those were the days:)

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

Originally posted by Kazara
    There are both haters and fanbois that post. The unwanted NGE version of SWG was what was drove the playerbase away. There were some nice additions to SWG post-NGE, but the core of the game was still rotten with the NGE changes.  I think many praise SWG for some of the very innovative systems it had and what it once was, not so much the SWG post-NGE version. While I loved SWG pre-NGE, I didn't much care for what it had become and the loss of a once wonderful community (Intrepid for me) was the final deal breaker.

SWG's population had already peaked and started to drop by the time the NGE came out. The population's decline was the reason they considered the NGE in the first place. It actually stabilized the population for a very short period of time before the population's decline continued again. Reviled or not, the NGE did not kill the game, the game was already on the way out.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by lizardbones

The unwanted NGE version of SWG was what was drove the playerbase away. There were some nice additions to SWG post-NGE, but the core of the game was still rotten with the NGE changes.  I think many praise SWG for some of the very innovative systems it had and what it once was, not so much the SWG post-NGE version. While I loved SWG pre-NGE, I didn't much care for what it had become and the loss of a once wonderful community (Intrepid for me) was the final deal breaker.

SWG's population had already peaked and started to drop by the time the NGE came out. The population's decline was the reason they considered the NGE in the first place. It actually stabilized the population for a very short period of time before the population's decline continued again. Reviled or not, the NGE did not kill the game, the game was already on the way out.

post the chart

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

From what I've seen it held in the 200k-300k range for over 2 years and then dropped off the map when NGE was introduced.You can easily survive with 200k,especially in 2005-2006.It was when NGE released that it truly died.

A Star Wars Galaxies history lesson: From launch to the NGE | Massively

That could be blamed on WOW also.With WOW losing subs in the last couple years a rerelease may actually do well right now.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by Slappy1

From what I've seen it held in the 200k-300k range for over 2 years and then dropped off the map when NGE was introduced.You can easily survive with 200k,especially in 2005-2006.It was when NGE released that it truly died.

A Star Wars Galaxies history lesson: From launch to the NGE | Massively

That could be blamed on WOW also.With WOW losing subs in the last couple years a rerelease may actually do well right now.

Chart is here.  You can see the nose dive in subs following the NGE (mid 2005).   

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

Stabalisation occurred with the CU, which had been released several months prior.  The NGE was a failed attempt to break the stabilisation, and increase subs.

• RojiinRojiin Member Posts: 51

It had peaked , declined and stabilized at the time of the CU.  The CU actually caused a steep drop, but it had begun recovering a couple months down the line.  Most players realized the changes of the CU were needed and actually added some cool features ( I liked the real stealth and abilities to disappear from radar.).  We were actually having a sharp influx of old and new players with the Mustafar expansion, then the NGE hit.  The NGE was actually playable by the sunset of the game, but was a horribly unfinished bugfest for at least a year after its launch. It really killed the game for good.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

"Stabalisation occurred with the CU, which had been released several months prior.  The NGE was a failed attempt to break the stabilisation, and increase subs."

No the CU and NGE was a desperate move to try and balance the games combat and combat classes. But since they could not have two different systems they had to force the rest of the game in to the same system. Actually in a way you are right, as the number one complain was "this game is not balanced... At all... In any way"  number two was "Stop the arghafrag macro grinding"

That is why nobody is dumb enough to try a skill system like that aga.. oh i am sorry did not see you there TSW... HOw is that PvP balance going..?

This have been a good conversation

Yes, at an all time low.

Originally posted by Sandbox
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Kazara There are both haters and fanbois that post.   The unwanted NGE version of SWG was what was drove the playerbase away. There were some nice additions to SWG post-NGE, but the core of the game was still rotten with the NGE changes.  I think many praise SWG for some of the very innovative systems it had and what it once was, not so much the SWG post-NGE version. While I loved SWG pre-NGE, I didn't much care for what it had become and the loss of a once wonderful community (Intrepid for me) was the final deal breaker.
     Yes, at an all time low.

The all time low came several years later. The NGE didn't do much of anything, except get remembered as the worst update to any game, ever. It didn't cause the drop in players though, it was the response to the drop in players. I understand not liking the NGE and not liking having all the rules changed in a game that's been running for years, but blaming NGE for SWG's demise doesn't make sense. The game was already on the way down before the NGE was implemented. If anything, the NGE gave the game an extra year that it wouldn't have otherwise had.

Originally posted by Onomas

Originally posted by Kazara There are both haters and fanbois that post.   The unwanted NGE version of SWG was what was drove the playerbase away. There were some nice additions to SWG post-NGE, but the core of the game was still rotten with the NGE changes.  I think many praise SWG for some of the very innovative systems it had and what it once was, not so much the SWG post-NGE version. While I loved SWG pre-NGE, I didn't much care for what it had become and the loss of a once wonderful community (Intrepid for me) was the final deal breaker.  
    post the chart

Everyone knows where the chart is, it's not a secret.

** edit **
    Also, I'm perfectly willing to be wrong on this point. Mostly because I don't think it matters that much. The game did not perform well compared to games that released before and after it released, and it certainly didn't live up to SOE's expectations. They released the NGE to either stop a drop in subs, or to get the game to perform more in line with other games of the time or SOE's expectations. If it wasn't NGE, it would have been something else eventually because the game just wasn't doing what it was expected to do.

** edit edit **
    Which is the whole point, really. There have been two SW MMOs, and neither one has done well. Sure, they survived, but they're both at best mediocre performers. If anyone writes another SW MMO, it will be with the intent to write something that isn't SWG or SWToR.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

SWG 2:

pre NGE system

complete sandbox

GCW that has impact

all the content/dungeons/instances from start till closure old SWG

good coded game/stable smooth running game

updated graphics

SOE must be kept out of it

then you might have a chance, IF they update it with additional content every few months and don't cater to the "wtf no endgame raiding? wat is the best class atm?" players and let it be a sandbox.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"