Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Actually kinda interested now

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

After seeing the new video with the developers saying the game is gonna have similar combat to the previous ES games, the game seems like it could be pretty cool now.

I'm wondering, did they just change this to appease the uproar? I thought I remembered them saying the game was going to have typical MMO hotbar combat, when it was first announced.

Either way, it's best that the game will have real ES combat. That will be super awesome if they have a good dual wield system too, including dual spells.

Comments

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

I hope you are right :)

some times mmo makers are missing the point, what they need to do with the  popular IP, what makes tha name unique and why people like them (i say SWTOR much been better  when they dont do the "characterization", just make a char and later deside what side you follow what ship you buy who is you work for...etc, another one, what we see in STO is faaaar away what true Star Trek is, but oh well, now day market is not for rpg people, just insta run and pvp, some grinfest and use a good IP ruining it all the way <- in my option, thats why i fear of world of darkness and so...)

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by jusomdude

After seeing the new video with the developers saying the game is gonna have similar combat to the previous ES games, the game seems like it could be pretty cool now.

I'm wondering, did they just change this to appease the uproar? I thought I remembered them saying the game was going to have typical MMO hotbar combat, when it was first announced.

Either way, it's best that the game will have real ES combat. That will be super awesome if they have a good dual wield system too, including dual spells.

they didnt change it.  when they mentioned the hot-bar the media and fans caused an uproar and overreacted.  there is a hot-bar but it's not typical mmo combat.  never was.  the game has a lot of potential/promise.  wether it lives up to that has yet to be seen.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    For me it is wait and see. I do not want to get excited about another mmo and have it throw eggs at my face at launch like we have been seeing for the past several years. 
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

If it has a hotbar along with the usual ES combat then that's fine with me. I don't think MMO players will have a problem with it.

As long as it's actual real-time combat and not tab-target BS I think it should do well.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if the game is tailored to be played with a controller, anyone who plays PC exclusive games should be used to hotbars by now.

• I don't think combat was exactly one of the strong points in the Elder Scrolls games, so I on the other hand hope it's more interesting this time around. But it doesn't necessarily have to be the standard hotbar combat WoW/WAR/SWTOR/GW2 etc uses.
  • gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Axxar
    I don't think combat was exactly one of the strong points in the Elder Scrolls games, so I on the other hand hope it's more interesting this time around. But it doesn't necessarily have to be the standard hotbar combat WoW/WAR/SWTOR/GW2 etc uses.

As long as it's not the old tab-targetting-skill-rotation system, I welcome it. It's about time we get rid of a standard that appeared when telecomunications were slower and computers less powerful. The system had a reason to exist then, but not nowadays, and plenty of us have had enough of it.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

If it has a hotbar along with the usual ES combat then that's fine with me. I don't think MMO players will have a problem with it.

As long as it's actual real-time combat and not tab-target BS I think it should do well.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if the game is tailored to be played with a controller, anyone who plays PC exclusive games should be used to hotbars by now.

The only thing that has me slightly worried about the combat system is the no tab target.

The reason is that I think ranged will be at a disadvantage when it comes to pvp, and I think some kind of aim assist will be needed tbh

• MoLoK_MoLoK_ Member UncommonPosts: 307

Maybe we have to quit thinking about pure ranged, magic and melee classes? Perhaps your archer better invest in some melee skills also? You might hit an oncoming enemy (pvp) with a few arrows before you are within reach of his huge two-hander. But that might be the time to switch to your sword and board in order to keep fighting him effectively. Who knows, you might get some distance between yourself and your enemy again - and then switch back to your bow for a while.

Are we, as players, ready to adapt?

Or do we expect the gamedesigners to adjust the combat so that you NEVER, not in ANY situation, should benefit from using another type of weapon then your main one.

Age of Conan did some sort of compromise. Semi hard targeting for casters. And from what I know casters still became super-OP in PvP.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Afther watching some videos this game has gotten me very intrested also.
  • DouganDouganDouganDougan Member Posts: 15
    will be on Hero engine or they changed?
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    I would like to manually aim my bow and spells too.
  • gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by deakon

The only thing that has me slightly worried about the combat system is the no tab target.

The reason is that I think ranged will be at a disadvantage when it comes to pvp, and I think some kind of aim assist will be needed tbh

Not necessarily. I play a meleecon on GA, and there's not advantage whatsoever when people can move backwards as fast as you move forward and fire at the same time.

Plus you can also dodge when you are meleeing. I usually strafe all over the place like crazy while meleeing, to the point of having had people accusing me of aimbotting... melee! (hilarious). If we use the present Skyrim combat system, a player would need to sprint to catch a ranged player on melee, and he/she would probably be out of stamina by then.

On top of that, the very first thing you usually do to a melee player that you want to fight ranged is rooting or snaring him/her.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

I like some of what they have said lately but I still  HATE the megasever idea.  From past exp with "megaserver" type systems it  just kills community, pvp and crafting.  

I know they said they have a system to group "like minded" players together, but what is going to stop poeple from lieing or a d-bag from switching "groups" all the time?  or stop guilds from swtiching from a group they can't win to one they are winning?  or stop the enemy from crashing because there are 40000 of ore x on the market?

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121

oh lets wait till we get the "not enough sand in the box " ppl  in here .

They will shit down on ESO  like pigeons  on a statue  once the game is near release.

I for myself  will play this ..bc i see it  no matter what ogame style it is in the end  as my favourite all time game since the 90's.

Most  of the turds out there think TES exist only since morrowind .

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Most people I know started with Morrowind. At least here in the UK, when the first 2 came out we were using amigas and Atari sts.
    Jusom: it won't be on console, its just too goddam big to fit on a console. The world is like 7 times the size of oblivion.

Deal: yeah the megaserver thing I don't like either, it seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I can see it recking rvr with players swapping to campaigns where their alliance dominates.
  • rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

I still only see DaoC 2 in a TES skin. The only thing they added was a slightly more opened class system allowing you to play something less holy trinity yet still locked into the 3 rolls.

A tank with a bow is still a tank. A mage with a 2 handed weapon is still a cloth wearing DPS. I see no mage wearing heavy armor tanking while burning somethings face off.

Anyway, until I hear a developer say there will be player mods as well as a magic system just like pre-skyrim...this is TES in name only with combat created for console gamers.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by muffins89

they didnt change it.  when they mentioned the hot-bar the media and fans caused an uproar and overreacted.  there is a hot-bar but it's not typical mmo combat.  never was.  the game has a lot of potential/promise.  wether it lives up to that has yet to be seen.

Have you seen the latest video? It (unfortunately) looks exactly like typical MMO combat. Standing still in one place. Wacking away. I don't know about you but that's not how I fight in Skyrim or Oblivion.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

Originally posted by Kaerigan

Have you seen the latest video? It (unfortunately) looks exactly like typical MMO combat. Standing still in one place. Wacking away. I don't know about you but that's not how I fight in Skyrim or Oblivion.

which typical mmo's do you play with an aiming reticle?

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by Kaerigan

which typical mmo's do you play with an aiming reticle?

Not too many, I'm just saying - look at the video. It could be that the players playing in the video just plain suck, though. Hopefully we'll get some real gameplay videos soon.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by deakon

Why do you need aim assist? People can aim perfectly fine without aim assistance. Ranged would just become EZ mode because you just click to attack.

Couldn't they use very narrow cone attacks for ranged spells, kinda how tsw does shotgun attacks, but longer and narrower?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Skyrim combat works because you can pause the game whenever you want or need to, and do all kinds of stuff in the item/spell/shouts/potion menu system. Obviously, you can't do that in a real-time MMO.

Something needs to change... if that something is a visual aid of multiple key-binds at the bottom of the screen, a.k.a., "hotbar" so much the better... some people can even click on it if they want... more player kills for me image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

I think the hotbar is something like 5 skills, one powerful skill and then a slot for a potion of some sort. I think we'll get more information on how the combat is actually going to work once the beta starts next year.

I was excited about ESO ever since I first read they were working on it.