Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fractals: Decent dungeon design

2»

Comments

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    Originally posted by austriacus
    Originally posted by Djildjamesh
    Originally posted by blooddrawing

Who's done the Dredge fractal?

Impossible eh?

This link shows you every Fractal: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractals_of_the_Mists

isn't that the one with the oil ? I know i did it last night, was good fun.

Completed 3 round of 3 bosses (so 45 of those fractal thingy's). I must say i think it's an amazing dungeon!

By the end of level 3 we got allot of rare's and im curious to see when the excotics start dropping  :)

Actually a friend got exotics at fractal level 1, pretty cool actually.

I got lucky yesterday and got an exotic light helm, with the exact stats I wanted, to replace my old Green helm. It was on a level 2 fractal.

Anyway the fractals are fun, but can be frustrating with certain PUGs, unable to figure out some of the easy puzzles and mechanics. Worst experience so far was with that Ice elemental sub-boss, where I was in a group with people who were unable to kite it into the fire or keep out of the red circles.

• untam3duntam3d Member UncommonPosts: 12

I heard that Fractal of the Mists is the first dungeon created by the team specifically appointed to make dungeons. I have yet to do the dungeon, but I'm hearing really good things about it.

I really didn't like the lack of mechanics in many of the dungeons prior to this, nor the odd difficulty ramp some dungeons had, ex. all bosses, including last one, were easy except for second boss. I can't wait to try out FotM and I'm also looking forward to the dungeon team's second dungeon :).

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654
    Originally posted by Maephisto

the wise man changes his mind.

the fool never does.

This.

The fractal design is superb. Some people are saying it's the best dungeon they've done, and these are experienced WoW/Rift top end raiders.

It's because of the variety, difficulty scaling and spread of responsibility.

The difficulty is wonderfully spread out among all 5 members of the group, unlike other games where basically only the tank and healer have all of the responsibility on their shoulders and the dps are just spamming rotations with the occasional CC every 5 mins.

Quite remarkable.

And I think it goes without saying that Fractals design is FAR, FAR better than all the previous dungeons. Major visible increase in quality from whatever team does this stuff over at Anet.

What sucks is that all the other dungeons will become a lot less popular and I still need to get my "Dungeon Master" achievement. image

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654
    Originally posted by Master10K
    What sucks is that all the other dungeons will become a lot less popular and I still need to get my "Dungeon Master" achievement. image

Nah people are still doing them, the tokens are unique for the armor skins so people will still run them for those.

Originally posted by Greyhooff

Nah people are still doing them, the tokens are unique for the armor skins so people will still run them for those.

My issue is that I've been trying to complete the CoE set and people rarely did that dungeon anyway (mostly saw LF CoF/SE/AC/Arah). Now nobody does CoE, especially since path 1 broke after a patch. image

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Is it bad that I'm already kinda board of the dungon. I thought there was more than 9 of them lol. Oh well. It still a bit of fun. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

My issue is that I've been trying to complete the CoE set and people rarely did that dungeon anyway (mostly saw LF CoF/SE/AC/Arah). Now nobody does CoE, especially since path 1 broke after a patch. image

Doing it with pugs is a nightmare anyway. You should find a decent guild that uses team speak.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

Fractals of the Mists is the best dungeon i've played in any mmorpg. ArenaNet has written history with it.

The new island however wasn't that fun, the puzzles are hard though which is fun. I hope they add more events etc and it can become great.

Still haven't tried the new PvP map.

Edit: ArenaNet have said that they will update the old dungeons, i don't know if that means they will revamp them or just add new rewards..

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Thupli

How's that uninstall going for ya?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5407719#5407719

Owned

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Betaguy

Owned

Not really owned since I'm likely to uninstall after the event. I only was giving it a shot since I thought that maybe the grind wouldn't be so bad and that maybe the stats from the items would be nearly the same. I was wrong on both accounts. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by xpiher

@ MurlockDance

The only reason I did the dungon is to find out if it was well designed, to see how much grind it would take to get the items, and to hopefully see what kind of stats ascended upgrades would add. It is possible, but very slim mind you, that a full set of sigil buffed gear may be better for a character stat wise than a full set of ascended. I also wanted to see how quickly Agony kicked in. I made it to fractal level 3, thats 9-12 mini dungeon, agony hasn't kicked in yet. I want to trigger it to see if its a stupid constant damage debuff or something that actually takes thought. Like I said in the first reply to this thread, I still plan on quitting if it proves to be as bad as I initally though; however, I think ANET has done a good job with the dungeon. I also think, as I stated yesterday in a post that wsa quickly locked, that ANET did treadmill correctly if they plan on releasing 2 pieces every 3-4 months. This makes it a very slow treadmill, which makes it less grindy and less "keeping up with the Jones's"

It is still gated content which is, in some ways, worse. I have a huge allergy to gated content after AO and DAoC ToA. I would rather a treadmill à la WoW than gated content.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

Fractals of the Mists is the best dungeon i've played in any mmorpg. ArenaNet has written history with it.

The new island however wasn't that fun, the puzzles are hard though which is fun. I hope they add more events etc and it can become great.

Still haven't tried the new PvP map.

Edit: ArenaNet have said that they will update the old dungeons, i don't know if that means they will revamp them or just add new rewards..

I think they mentioned a revamp because they realise they just arent that much fun. The fractal design gives me hope that they know what they are doing now.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Originally posted by Betaguy

Owned

lol, he/she changes his/her mind all the time :P.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Still level 1 here because my group wasn't able to complete the third (collosus that needs to be freed) after we had two people quit and one dropping after.

The design is awesome and we had a great time in there for sure! :) 

Managed to finish the ice region one with the boss at the end that were using the ice around him to blow us up and the lava one with the grawls and the prisoners.

Love the environments, the puzzles and all the mechanics in them so far.