Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need tips on mining for profit.

adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Ok so far, veldspar without having to travel far to collect and sell, no worry of pirates, seems to make the most sense with the ship I have currently.

I've found higher value stuff in .5 to .9 but either it's not worth that much more than veldspare, or it mines much slower and takes up much more space, and then there's travel times. 

So for a ship with 2 strip miners and 4 drones, and 25k m3 ore cargo space, what's the most efficient thing to try to mine, and at what security level will I find it. 

Also are there any tools to locate the best region to sell various minerals for the shortest travel and collection times?

Thanks.

PS this is sort of for someone else as well as my own curiosity, so teaming up, getting corp support, using multiple ships is out.

Comments

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    Last I checked Veld is among the best in high sec until you get to the ABC(ark, Bistot, Crokite) ores in 0.0.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Well in regards to moving your product you could look into red frog.  They're reletively cheap and well trusted.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by adam_nox

Ok so far, veldspar without having to travel far to collect and sell, no worry of pirates, seems to make the most sense with the ship I have currently.

I've found higher value stuff in .5 to .9 but either it's not worth that much more than veldspare, or it mines much slower and takes up much more space, and then there's travel times. 

So for a ship with 2 strip miners and 4 drones, and 25k m3 ore cargo space, what's the most efficient thing to try to mine, and at what security level will I find it. 

Also are there any tools to locate the best region to sell various minerals for the shortest travel and collection times?

Thanks.

PS this is sort of for someone else as well as my own curiosity, so teaming up, getting corp support, using multiple ships is out.

Op if your goal is to make alot of money quickly forget mining. You can do alot better just running missions and then clearing the salvage in out of the way low sec space. (in mission salvage not the bait players leave around to pk you with) Minings a filler for those times when your logged in but not really playing. ie reading a book, watching tv etc.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    what missions?  I've run quite a few that were only about 1 or 200k, even if I got them done in 5 minutes I'm pretty sure veldspar mining is way better. 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    what missions?  I've run quite a few that were only about 1 or 200k, even if I got them done in 5 minutes I'm pretty sure veldspar mining is way better. 

I remember long ago, on missions getting enemies that were worth a ton.  IIRC, one thing I got off (can't remember if  it was called pirate or shadow or something) sold for for over 1/2 billion isk.  Many other pulled in a ton.  I had almost 1 billion ISK in one day.  All this was from running missions.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TolandToland Member CommonPosts: 38
    Depends on what you are mining with, rather mission running is more profitable, granted it also matters what level... an Industrial ship would be good to haul... Veldspar is pretty decent, as far as High Sec ores go. Personally I mined everything in the belt and crush it all in to Minerals to build ships to sell but that is me. Hulk Pilot... >.>; with Alts. Don't get me started on Arkonor Bistot and Crokite ores in 0.0 like Miners paradise. Got to the point where I'd only mine in Hidden Belts in high sec and null sec. Trying to Juggle Multiple alts makes it easier to run away to safety in null sec if your in a hidden belt.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Mexallon, was, i think and still is, more profitable than Veld/trit .. you also have to take into account the m3 of the stuff, and a mammoth load of mexallon is worth a hell of a lot more than a load of trit.. generally any .5 system with asteriod belts will have either pyrox of plagio present. if you can't refine though, at least, not without significant wastage, you would be better off joining a corp that will buy your raw ores, better prices overall and you can usually avoid having to haul the stuff yourself. Tbh, if your serious about mining, then joining an indy corp should be your first stop anyway, as getting access to orca boosts etc will significantly improve your mining output. image
  • vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 407

for missions Run lvl IV's of any main or sub corp combat missions. Salvage them and loot most the 100k+ isk part's.

Look for a system that has 2 agents lvl 4 or get them so its about 1-2 jumps away. Run one agent until you get an angel exstravaganeza or Guritsa. Farm it to room 4 and stop. Go back loot/salvage to room 4. After that leave and let the mission reset with down time.next day run it over to room 4 rinse repeat for upto 5-7 days until the mission is about to expire. In the mean time run the other agent to keep up the isk.

as for mining ISO is good to sell harder to get in high sec but try a .5 the lower the system status the better the belts (also the harder the rats are to kills). If your into mining try picking up a few cheap BPC's for strip miner I's they sell pretty good and dont take a ton to make. Train for t2 strippers and the crystals. with that you can make some pretty good starting indy cash.

ohh and look into getting a scannig ship and look for Grav sites in .5-.6 systems they can have a chance at getting some really nice ores that would normally be found in low sec or 0.0.

If you want to move on from that point. Work on getting into more production. If your goal is to just mine for profit. Find a ore that will be the most bang for your time and stick with it. ICE is a very good way to earn isk Amarr ice or gal ice both are used often.  Also look into orcas. Hire a pilot or train one they are super handy and will help increase your isk big time.

I could go on for hours but I'll leave some things to chance for ya. Hope it helps and Good luck.

Useing the above methods and a fw other things i have played eve for 4 1/2 years for free. using any where from 1-7 accounts.

• mWo4lifemWo4life Member Posts: 119

Ok so far, veldspar without having to travel far to collect and sell, no worry of pirates, seems to make the most sense with the ship I have currently.  I've found higher value stuff in .5 to .9 but either it's not worth that much more than veldspare, or it mines much slower and takes up much more space, and then there's travel times. 

In general ore is not that valuble. Train refining skills, and sell minerals. They r more valuable then ore and are easier to transport.

Plag is good, as it has pyerite and mexalon. Kernite isn't bad as well. Basically everthing other than Omber is good.

U can check: http://eve-central.com/

Thanks.

off course if u serious about mining, then slowly start thinking about mining in null-sec. it has the most valublue ore, arkonor. Off course mining in null is more difficult than in high-sec, but as they say in eve, "more risk, more isk".

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

You have to increase your standing with the faction, and maybe the NPC corp you're doing the missions for, in order to access higher level missions. 

If you're onlly making a couple hundred thousand doing missins you're probably just doing lvl 1 or 2 missions.  You have to do lvl 4's.

You can make more isk ratting in O.O, or mining Ice, then you will solo mining veld in one barge in high sec. 

Mining alone, in high sec, for only a few hours a day, and especially mining veld, isn't going to make that much isk.  Scordite is worth a LOT more then veld due to the cost of pyerite.  Selling ore is never going to make you as much as refining and selling minerals.  Mining will also not make you anywhere near the amount of isk you can make running level 4's. 

The only poeple who make decent profits mining in high sec aren't solo miners.  They're multiboxers, mining entire belts solo with a couple of barges; even more if they're running an Orca. 

You wold make more isk as a solo miner employing other miners to mine for you, buying up the ore they mine at a decent price and then refining it.  Hell, buying the required minerals, a battleship blueprint, and selling one BS a day will make you more then you can make mining veld solo for a few hours a day.  A single drake can go for over 50m isk, which should give you about a 10m profit off a single ship, before you ever research the blueprint. 

Honestly, if you're enjoying the game, and intend to stick around for a while then stop mining.  If you really do, for some strange reason, enjoy doing the dullest, most tedious, and boring activity in the game -mining- then join an indy corp or start mining ice.  Just about every person I know that has come to EVE, and started out with mining is no longer playing the game. 

Sure, it's enjoyable at first, but sitting in a belt alone and shooting at asteroids gets really old really fast.  There's a good reason most corps that recruit new players and teach them to play EVE tend to discourage solo mining. 

Join an indy corp where you can learn some of the more advanced and interesting aspects of industry, like running PoS's and doing reactions and such, as well as where you can get orca support while mining. 

If you're determined to just mine, and dead set against joining a corp, then stop mining Veld.  It's not the most profitable ore, it's actually one of the least if you don't multibox. 

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

The question is: Do you want to mine?

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

personaly i found that mining Plagiosomethingorrather with a Retriever, in .05 space, was the best money maker for SOLO mining. it really doesn't take much to train for a Retriever + strip miners + drones= profit.

however this is called small scale mining and it does suck if you start getting ganked often.

mining ice fields is probably more profitable but i didn't want to train ice harversters, not to mention ice field are always so damn busy.

of course with bigger ships you can equipp more miners and hold more ore, so your yield is more=more money. however the initial cost of the ship is also much greater and the potencial loss is also much greater if you get ganked. that is Eve, small risk = small reward, big risk= potentially big reward. this is where people start getting into fleets, or dual boxing, for added security.

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196

Thanks.

Train to velds and scrodite T2 crystals and stick with those oretypes, get 100% refining with skills + the right kind of station. 

Those ore types are most abundant, highest in demand, highest in quantity bought, so you will never run in a situation where they do not sell, or sell with less than optimal price. When you have T2 crystals with Mak/hulk, you should already have learned what is the next step, but concentrating on 1-2 oretypes to maximum yield is the 1st step to go before getting into anything else.

Also, if you or your friend enjoys resource gathering, get into multiboxing. You can buddy invite + create own alts and have them fly retrievers within 5 days, and from there even mining gets pretty tense and interesting, as your fleet starts to pour in more resources that you can count.

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• OldBikerOldBiker Member Posts: 75
    Unless you are getting your mining ships destroyed frequently all mining is "profitable".  You have no expenses other than your time.  Check out this site to find out which ore is more "profitable"  http://ore.cerlestes.de/index.html#site:ore
  • KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

In a good ship with good skills and experience you should be able to solo L4 missions in Hisec and rake in between 30-50 million of total profit an hour, if you're lucky with what missions you get. Total profit includes bounties, the mission reward, loot, salvage and Loyalty Points.

Consequently, I occasionally dabble in mining and I even pushed my mining skills up quite a bit. Fully solo in an almost-maxed Hulk with tech II mining drones on top I could still only do maybe 8 million/hour in Hisec. Any mining is "profitable", but solo mining in Hisec is close to the bottom of the totem pole of income sources. Whenever my corp has a major mining binge because they need to prep for heavy production I usually grind missions instead and buy minerals flat out in Jita, then trade them to the corp.

If you really want to murder rocks for hours on end, well...I hope you have a good set of books handy :).

Where's the any key?

• Jaxon26Jaxon26 Member Posts: 23

So first thing, go search google for a tool called Isk Per Hour - this is a tool that will help you figure out (based on market prices) which ore is the most valuable to mine. For example right now it's high yield version of Scordite (Massive Scrordite) which would yield me about 19M per hour based on my skills (something else that the tool will tell you). 

As menetioned above, selling ore is probably the worst thing that you can do. It's too big to move in mass effectively and you get more isk for the minerals. If your refining is too low or your standing is not high enough and you are losing too much yeild then focus on increasing those things. 

As far as missioning vs mining. Mission @ level 4 is a much better money maker than mining as a general statement but it depends on the missions. There are some real money makers (like 40M per hour when factoring in bounties, loot and LPs) and there are some really crappy ones (closer to 15M per hour if you get a string of them). But you have to grind through standings to get to level 4 mssions (higher standing will help with refning losses too) so it will be a loss at first. 

So here is what I would do - mine if you want to mine (use Isk per hour to figure out what) and then run missions if you need a break. If you are in Caldari space, there is a good system about 4 jumps from Jita (which is where you will get the best prices for minerals) which has a ton of fields and an ice field (if you want a change but the ice market is completely crashed). The stations are run by Imperial Armerments which has decent LP items to sell (like mining yield implants).

The nice thing about Eve is that you are not locked into anything per se. 3 of my last 6 months were spent mining and for the last 2 months I have been missioning. Both were enjoyable to me and if I start to get burned out one then I jump the other for a while. If done right, both can be isk makers - I have 2.5B in mineral sales since July (most July - Sept) and probably about 8B in total sales (another great tool is Eve Wallet Aware) but it's tough to tell on the totals because I spend a lot gambling and some of that consists of gambling wins that I then sold. Minerals are easy because you can filter them specifically in the tool., 

Good luck - feel free to email me in game (Toroup) if you need anything other than a handout. 

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272
    Originally posted by Jaxon26

So first thing, go search google for a tool called Isk Per Hour - this is a tool that will help you figure out (based on market prices) which ore is the most valuable to mine. For example right now it's high yield version of Scordite (Massive Scrordite) which would yield me about 19M per hour based on my skills (something else that the tool will tell you). 

As menetioned above, selling ore is probably the worst thing that you can do. It's too big to move in mass effectively and you get more isk for the minerals. If your refining is too low or your standing is not high enough and you are losing too much yeild then focus on increasing those things. 

As far as missioning vs mining. Mission @ level 4 is a much better money maker than mining as a general statement but it depends on the missions. There are some real money makers (like 40M per hour when factoring in bounties, loot and LPs) and there are some really crappy ones (closer to 15M per hour if you get a string of them). But you have to grind through standings to get to level 4 mssions (higher standing will help with refning losses too) so it will be a loss at first. 

So here is what I would do - mine if you want to mine (use Isk per hour to figure out what) and then run missions if you need a break. If you are in Caldari space, there is a good system about 4 jumps from Jita (which is where you will get the best prices for minerals) which has a ton of fields and an ice field (if you want a change but the ice market is completely crashed). The stations are run by Imperial Armerments which has decent LP items to sell (like mining yield implants).

The nice thing about Eve is that you are not locked into anything per se. 3 of my last 6 months were spent mining and for the last 2 months I have been missioning. Both were enjoyable to me and if I start to get burned out one then I jump the other for a while. If done right, both can be isk makers - I have 2.5B in mineral sales since July (most July - Sept) and probably about 8B in total sales (another great tool is Eve Wallet Aware) but it's tough to tell on the totals because I spend a lot gambling and some of that consists of gambling wins that I then sold. Minerals are easy because you can filter them specifically in the tool., 

Good luck - feel free to email me in game (Toroup) if you need anything other than a handout. 

That was helpful thanks!

Keep on rockin'!image