Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a good Free to Play MMO. Recommendations?

CelerionCelerion Member Posts: 30

Hey all,

Looking for another MMO game to get into over a break from College classes, have played some of the Fantasy MMOs but looking for a break/compliment to the Elves and Orcs.   Currently I play Allods Online, Fable and Civilization, and I'm looking for an MMO Free to Play game, preferably one that is Downloadable.  A reasonable to good download speed is always a plus, and good player housing, creation and interaction would be great.  However, Free to Play is unfortunitely a must.

Any recommendations would be great.    Feel free to ask me more questions if you need clarification on what I am looking for.   Currently, I can only play PC MMOs.

Mystic

Celerion
Contact me on Twitter @IAMCelerion and chat.

Comments

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

DC Universe Online is the only decent F2P non-fantasy MMO I can think of that's relatively new. There's Age of Conan, too, but it's still fantasy and I hear it has a very restrictive endgame for F2P people.

Firefall is a great diversion, but it's still in beta and a MMOFPS instead of a MMORPG.

None of these have player housing, unfortunately.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

My choice would be Aion. Free to play with no restrictions on any content which is the only type of free to play games that I will play. It does have housing and there are no elves or orcs.

http://na.aiononline.com/

• tiagotbp190tiagotbp190 Member Posts: 28

Fallen earth

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

At the top of my hat , you got Atlantica Online which is great and unique , but once you hit level 90-95 it starts begging you to put a few hundred dollars on the item shop to keep enjoying the game at it's fullest level.  Which is sad ,because Atlantica is one hell of a game , we need more games like this!!!

Then you got Runes of Magic , which is pretty good for a F2P and you barely need to put any money on the cash shop to have a great time.   Runes of Magic is one of the most legit F2P MMO's out there and is still going strong.

• CelerionCelerion Member Posts: 30

Wow, I post the question and within 50 minutes get a bunch of responces.  Sweet!

Quick question.   How would you rate the games you suggested on the following aspects:

(1-5, 5 being highest.  Rating in your opinion.)

Download speed

Gameplay life 

Userbase (Number of players online at any one time)

Smoothness (Good flowing movement/Not "choppy")

Customization

Character/World Graphics (For a PC game standard)

Lastly, what genre would you put the game under in your opinion.  What would you describe it as.

Celerion
    Contact me on Twitter @IAMCelerion and chat.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    I would suggest Swtor but its F2P restrictions are outrageous sooo.....

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Planetside 2 comes out in afew days.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by DSWBeef

Yes, I advise avoiding this one unless your a secret millionair.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• potacopotaco Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Kazuhiro
    Originally posted by DSWBeef

Yes, I advise avoiding this one unless your a secret millionair.

Oh please... spending $5-10 for some basic unlocks hardly requites someone to be a "secret millionaire"... at the most, we're talking $15/month to just straight-up subscribe.

It's definitely playable even without investing a single penny. The only MMORPG I can think of with a true "everything is free" approach is Aion. The vast majority will have restrictions/limitations/annoyances that essentially force you to pay some money anyway if you want to bypass them (or you could just keep playing with the restrictions).

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    If your looking for something completely different then what you have been up to, I would say maybe WoT (world of tanks). Mild DL, and they recently got done with some great revisions, inculding new physics, sweeping adjustments to old tech tree's and all new tree's. Plus it's free and simple fun...Most of what you find you may need cash shop wise at some point can be bought with earned currency in game.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by Mannish

My choice would be Aion. Free to play with no restrictions on any content which is the only type of free to play games that I will play. It does have housing and there are no elves or orcs.

http://na.aiononline.com/

I'll have to second this. I just recently started playing, and it's pretty good. Nothing that's wildly out of the ordinary, but it is a solid game no doubt. And it is indeed free with no (as far as I can tell) restrictions.

EDIT: And if I'm not mistaken, within the next few months there's supposed to be an update adding 3 new classes (Bard, Gunner, Rider) to the game. So that's pretty spiffy.

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119

hm, RaiderZ or Age of Wushu seem to be the way to go when it comes to f2p at the moment.

Dont bother with Swtor, you cant run (for the first 6 or 7 hours) in outrageously big and empty maps, you have to pay for your quickslots, you get reduced exp, and get reminded all the time that if you pay you maybe can enjoy the game. you are all around treated like a trash. def not worth it.

Lord of the rings and DDO are both good fun.

I personaly wouldnt recomend any game from NCsoft because they seem to be into killing profitable game for no good reason, but Lineage 2 is solid, and ive heard good things of Aion.

Shin Megami Tensei Imagine if you are into collecting monsters and training and using them like pokemon.

Champion online or DCUO are both decent.

if you are willing to pay a one time fee and then forget about paying again GW2 seems like a very good option, it didnt live up to the hype, but it did do enough things different to at least feel fresh  for some.

• atticon40atticon40 Member Posts: 33

A few you could try are DC Universe Online.  Great game with some awesome character customization.  Or maybe Lord of the Rings Online.  Also, call me crazy but Wizard101 and Pirate101 are some great Fre MMO games, they're a little scaled down for a younger audience, but .. and I do mean but, they provide some great fun.