Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is this game worthwhile to play?

lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
i have played the starter edition but it was enough for me to make a concrete decision about the game .so is it worthwhile to buy diablo 3 ? i played TL2 and enjoyed it alot . but i am skeptical about this and have not been able to make up my mind

Comments

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437
    in short: no

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394
    If your into these types of games, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, at least for a few weeks...the only problem for me, was repeating the story over and over to play at a higher difficulty.  It got too repetitive for my taste, after going through the story once....I felt like I had already beat the game and there was no point in playing it any more.  I'm sure others like to continue for the gear and what have you, but to me....been there, done that.  It was a good game though, if only to play through the story.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

It's worth it. Especially if you are comparing D3 to other games. The people who might say no are usually those that don't like D3 because it's NOT D2. D3 is a solid / fun game and if you liked the trial /starter edition then you will like the rest of the game.

To get to the higher difficulties, you have to beat the game multiple times. Some people are turned off by this, tho I don't really understand why...other than they being lazy and wanting to skip to the highest level right away. These are the type of people who would prefer to do away with leveling in MMO's and skip right to the max level raiding.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

no

buy the 4 pack of torchlight 2 for the same price.  Give 3 copies to your friends for christmas, have more fun in a game not hampered by a million design descisions designed to get you to splash the cash on the rmah.  Have fun not teleporting to town every 5 frikin minutes.  have fun playing on a difficulty you like and not having to slog it through noob mode first.  have fun with trully random maps, not maps with 1 or 2 minor changes every playthrough.,

• shadylurkershadylurker Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

no

buy the 4 pack of torchlight 2 for the same price.  Give 3 copies to your friends for christmas, have more fun in a game not hampered by a million design descisions designed to get you to splash the cash on the rmah.  Have fun not teleporting to town every 5 frikin minutes.  have fun playing on a difficulty you like and not having to slog it through noob mode first.  have fun with trully random maps, not maps with 1 or 2 minor changes every playthrough.,

I despised D3, but thoroughly enjoyed TL2.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

Yes...After the last patch the game has fixed all the issues I had with it at launch. The loot drops are great now, monster power setting rocks, I never use the AH like before when I was forced in to it to keep my gear up to date. The story line is fine and the game is fun.

I find it better then D2 to each their own. You do have to repeat the story line each play through so your mileage may very on how you stand with that.  

• teotiusteotius Member UncommonPosts: 100
    It is a good single player game. I spent myself good 200hours to it and had fun. If u are gonna play it as an mmo, no its not worth it.
  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by shadylurker
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

no

I despised D3, but thoroughly enjoyed TL2.

I find your reply out of date and not much help. The game has changed over the last few months you should check it out. 

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Personally I thought D3 was a step back for the franchise, and the online only/RMAH were big turn offs for me.

That said, I would recommend buying it on sale if you want it, but it was not worth $60 imo.

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I definitely got my moneys worth.  I enjoyed the game and had lots of fun playing it.  It does get a tad repetative having to play thru the story so many times.  It's not that big a deal tho.  I am on Act 2 of Inferno and having a hard time progressing because i need better gear and I don't want to spend real money on gear and the gold auction house seems expensive.  I don't play it too often anymore but I played quite a bit for a few months.
  • lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Slukjan
    I definitely got my moneys worth.  I enjoyed the game and had lots of fun playing it.  It does get a tad repetative having to play thru the story so many times.  It's not that big a deal tho.  I am on Act 2 of Inferno and having a hard time progressing because i need better gear and I don't want to spend real money on gear and the gold auction house seems expensive.  I don't play it too often anymore but I played quite a bit for a few months.

hmmm.it seems even regarding people who like or hate the game . lets see if i can find a cheap copy of the game . 

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Personally I thought D3 was a step back for the franchise, and the online only/RMAH were big turn offs for me.

That said, I would recommend buying it on sale if you want it, but it was not worth $60 imo.

i cant find any cheap copy of the game lol . all copies are being sold above 50 dollars . so i think i will skip the game :(

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Bluntly.. nope. Even with the changes the game is not worth the price tag. I would dare say if you could get it at half off it would still be a bad investment IMO. The game is short and the soul of the game design screams money grab. I occasionally pop in to mess around because it was my wifes first ARPG and she likes it well enough because it's nothing like any of the other games we play together. If I had gotten to try the game out beforebuying it theres no way in hell I woulda bought 2 copies. Memories of the good ole ARPG days caused me leap before looking. I keep hoping that they are able to turn this POS around and I can get my money's worth but I won't hold my breath.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I'm loving the game now, as my signature attests.  I hated the way inferno and endgame was designed initially.  It's fun leveling paragons and upgrading my gear along the way.  At some point I may hit a wall, but they've done a great job.  It's far and away a much better game than Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile.  They've done a very good job of approaching D2 in terms of quality and replay value.

I finished inferno today after having quit on this character early in A2 on release.  The MP levels are a wonderful addition.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Are you a fan of Diablo 2 and really enjoyed that? Then no, try TorchLight 2 or Path of Exile.

Its not to bad I suppose but for someone like me who enjoys dungeon crawlers, its the weaker of the three newest dungoen crawler choice. Torchlight 2 provided me with a lot more play time and fun. Path of Exile has also provided me with fun just waiting for beta.

If your into the old style dungeon crawler, focused on player skill and knowledge of the game, then diablo 3 is a poor experience.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

I don't find the addition of paragon levels too be that much fun.   In the end it is nice to know that the time I just spent slaying baddies wasn't totally useless, since I didn't find an upgrade.

MP levels is useless for most of the playerbase.   The only ones that enjoy it are those already well geared players farming ubers.

The one change I did like with 1.0.5 is that item affixes are determined by monster level.   Switch to MP1 to farm acts 1/2, or stay on MP0 to farm act 3.   Either way it gives players the feeling that they can actually find an upgrade.  

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

I bought the collector's edition and I feel I got my money's worth out of the game.  I was a little jaded at first as I was a huge fan of D2 years ago, but the more recent patches have improved the game quite a bit.

I would still say to wait until you can find the game on sale.  It is a shame that you didn't look to get in to the game when Toys R Us was selling copies of D3 for $15 or so.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    If it were f2p it would be worthwhile.
  • MavekMavek Member Posts: 138
    I think its going to be on sale on black friday for around 30$, and thats when I'm planning on getting it as well
  • hazyhazy Member UncommonPosts: 89

Oh god please do not buy D3. Seriously the game is beyond horrible. I cannot believe all the people saying buy it, I bet they are the same ones who bitch about f2p games and saying they're pay to win when Diablo 3 is literally one of the only games I know of that is in fact pay to win. It is also infested with botters who have ruined the economy and Blizzard is fine with them because they bring in revenue from the scrubs who are dumb enough to use the Real Money Auction House (yeah you read that right). 

If you want a decent ARPG hold out for Path of Exile or Grim Dawn both are going to be f2p. If you want a good Diablo game go with Diablo 2, it was great and I'm sure its still infinitely better than Diablo 3. If you want to know how bad D3 just look at all the player auction sites and people selling their D3 accounts and the zero people who actually buy them. It is a god aweful game made by a once great company who lost all its talent years ago.

Also its a massive grind with little to no pay off. The story is complete crap even for a diablo game. The levels are clones of their D2 equivalents, as are the classes, seriously the lack of originality is pathetic. The first play through on normal will be moderately fun because you will actually be getting gear and building your char and skills and whatnot, plus you'll be moderately interested in the story but after that its all down hill like a friggin landslide.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Purutzil
    Are you a fan of Diablo 2 and really enjoyed that? Then no, try TorchLight 2 or Path of Exile. Its not to bad I suppose but for someone like me who enjoys dungeon crawlers, its the weaker of the three newest dungoen crawler choice. Torchlight 2 provided me with a lot more play time and fun. Path of Exile has also provided me with fun just waiting for beta. If your into the old style dungeon crawler, focused on player skill and knowledge of the game, then diablo 3 is a poor experience.

except if you liked D2 for the closed bnet servers and pvp, then TL2 is not for you (or me)

i couldn't stand open bnet and that's basically what TL2 is from what i have read, no thanks.

that said, i am still waiting for pvp in D3 and until then i likely wont play too much.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by hazy
    Oh god please do not buy D3. Seriously the game is beyond horrible. I cannot believe all the people saying buy it, I bet they are the same ones who bitch about f2p games and saying they're pay to win when Diablo 3 is literally one of the only games I know of that is in fact pay to win. It is also infested with botters who have ruined the economy and Blizzard is fine with them because they bring in revenue from the scrubs who are dumb enough to use the Real Money Auction House (yeah you read that right).  If you want a decent ARPG hold out for Path of Exile or Grim Dawn both are going to be f2p. If you want a good Diablo game go with Diablo 2, it was great and I'm sure its still infinitely better than Diablo 3. If you want to know how bad D3 just look at all the player auction sites and people selling their D3 accounts and the zero people who actually buy them. It is a god aweful game made by a once great company who lost all its talent years ago.

this is horrible advice IMO

D3 may not be the game everyone hoped it would be but it is far from horrible.

then you go on to recommend D2? as if D2 is so much better? because it doesn't have the RMAH?

basically, if the RMAH is a game breaker for you don't buy it, if no pvp is a game breaker for you, don't buy it.

other than that its a pretty good ARPG.

Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by hazy
    Oh god please do not buy D3. Seriously the game is beyond horrible. I cannot believe all the people saying buy it, I bet they are the same ones who bitch about f2p games and saying they're pay to win when Diablo 3 is literally one of the only games I know of that is in fact pay to win. It is also infested with botters who have ruined the economy and Blizzard is fine with them because they bring in revenue from the scrubs who are dumb enough to use the Real Money Auction House (yeah you read that right). 

If you want a decent ARPG hold out for Path of Exile or Grim Dawn both are going to be f2p. If you want a good Diablo game go with Diablo 2, it was great and I'm sure its still infinitely better than Diablo 3. If you want to know how bad D3 just look at all the player auction sites and people selling their D3 accounts and the zero people who actually buy them. It is a god aweful game made by a once great company who lost all its talent years ago.

this is horrible advice IMO

D3 may not be the game everyone hoped it would be but it is far from horrible.

then you go on to recommend D2? as if D2 is so much better? because it doesn't have the RMAH?

basically, if the RMAH is a game breaker for you don't buy it, if no pvp is a game breaker for you, don't buy it.

other than that its a pretty good ARPG.

Exactly:

If you don't like the RMAH use the Gold AH.  If you don't like the Gold AH just solo your character. 

You don't need godly gear to enjoy Inferno and there is plenty to keep you busy if you want to work your way through paragon levels and MP levels.  TL2 doesn't offer anything closed bnet D2 fans want.  TL2 is already dead.  Look at all of the complaints on their forums where players can't find people to play with on their NG+ level.  It will get worse when they release mod tool and the player base gets splintered into dozens of tiny groups of players.

POE is an unpolished game with boring gameplay, passive only skill trees and amateurish art direction.  It's also taking them forever to get into an open beta.  Who knows how long it will be before their paid beta actually releases.  The team clearly is small and inexperienced.

Grim Dawn is just a twinkle in their creators eyes.  It's way too far away to discuss.

The only game that can challenge D3 is Lineage Eternal, but I have no idea when they will release in the US/EU or what the game will be like (other than the visually interesting gameplay video they released).

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

It's funny, peopel keep saying how much D3 has improved over the last while since release, but honestly, it hasn't added all that much. Sure, you have 100 or whatever Paragon levels to grind through, and you can fight uber bosses now, but there really isn't THAT big of a difference from launch until now.

The game is what it is, and I do consider it more entertaining than TL2, but it's not a very good game in terms of storyline, the RMAH, gear drop rates and longevity. I'm also just really not a fan of the skill system implemented, which unfortunately is the entire combat system and majority fo the gameplay.

Just my opinion of course. It's a decent game, and you'd get likely get enough hours out of it to warrant a purchase, but it's still a very shallow game that will likely leave you disappointed overall.

Originally posted by Aviggin

It's funny, peopel keep saying how much D3 has improved over the last while since release, but honestly, it hasn't added all that much. Sure, you have 100 or whatever Paragon levels to grind through, and you can fight uber bosses now, but there really isn't THAT big of a difference from launch until now.

The game is what it is, and I do consider it more entertaining than TL2, but it's not a very good game in terms of storyline, the RMAH, gear drop rates and longevity. I'm also just really not a fan of the skill system implemented, which unfortunately is the entire combat system and majority fo the gameplay.

Just my opinion of course. It's a decent game, and you'd get likely get enough hours out of it to warrant a purchase, but it's still a very shallow game that will likely leave you disappointed overall.

If you don't like closed bnet D2, you probably won't like D3.  If that's your POV, I'm not sure why you are posting here.