Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Why You Should Seriously Consider Playing ARR

13»

Comments

  • RalstlinRalstlin Las PalmasPosts: 234Member

    i like seamless games, but is not something that will make to play a game or not.

     

    Gameplay and content is what will keep me playing or not.

  • ToxiaToxia Lake Charles, LAPosts: 1,319Member Uncommon
    I won't turn down the trial, but i am not expecting much. I too have seen alpha footage. That's all i got to say :/

    The Deep Web is sca-ry.

  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid hell, NJPosts: 6,783Member Uncommon

    so much determination in this company to save the Final Fantasy online franchise after their own mistake, while western companies only wants to milk players when their games fail from their own mistake too......

    Im really looking forward to the new FFXIV 2.0 

    Keep it up Square Enix, If 2.0 launches and is a success maybe the Asian companies were meant to overthrow the rest of the  western non-blizzard mmo makers

    image
  • YaoimanYaoiman Newkama Land, LAPosts: 51Member
    Now we gotta wait util around July for it to come out. Soooo loooooooong. :(

    A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one.

    We will always remember your sacrifice, Louisoux!

  • nice list of changes. looks like it may actually turn into a pimped out version of FFXI now.

    may have to pass this list on to a couple buddies.

  • HyanmenHyanmen KolkkalaPosts: 5,354Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

    Does it include other systems? such as:

    Fishing?

    Swimming?

    Crafting? (meaning can I craft weapons as good as the ones I buy/drop?)

    Housing?

    Boats/Airships? (Which I can control and fly around?)

    There are no boats or airships that you can control. Swimming is not in at the launch.

    The rest of the features will be there.

    "Housing is standard in most mmo's."
    - yolteotl79

  • Hamger8Hamger8 College Point, NYPosts: 78Member

    Couldn't say it better myself i for one been in FF XIV since 1.15 and im lovin it and cant wait for 2.0 or beta ^^. WHAT IM REALLY HYPE FOR IS ARCANIST/SUMMONER like omfg ive been waiting for that class for a year im so excited they bringing the pet class back.

     

    The game will not launch at july that wouldn't make sense why release the alpha now? the gap will rage the community unless they get open beta to everyone then the release is still mid january/feb.

  • ZadawnZadawn SPosts: 651Member Common
    Originally posted by zevni78

    The seamless zones in FFXIV 1.0 was a major reason for the game's technical failure, it resulted in bland copy-pasted open world, server and engine issues. By zoning they get to make each zone have more character, and solve server issues, it's a small price to pay, given the horrible mess of 1.0.

    It’s important to understand this as a technical limitation, not a design decision made arbitrarily. It would be like complaining that the graphics are not as good as a single player game.

    It doesn't matter if its a technical limitation or a choice,it is there and it sucks.

    image
  • HyanmenHyanmen KolkkalaPosts: 5,354Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by OnionThief

    The July release is pretty much 100% speculation at this point. Officially the game is still slotted to launch early next year, so my expectations lie closer to that than 6 months away. Still, it's a possibility.

    As for the optimism... based on the alpha leaks I've seen... personally I've become very optimistic. I enjoy XIV a lot in it's current interation and a much improved version of that has me super excited.

    Depends who your source is I guess... the thread on the official forums? Yeah, according to it there's no reason to believe the claim. But his information came from somewhere too, and personally I've seen his source predict a lot of things correct before.

    Nothing wrong with optimism, but Summer 2013 release would not be surprising at all. Every company has delays, but only some of them have the balls to delay the release due to it.

    "Housing is standard in most mmo's."
    - yolteotl79

  • OnionThiefOnionThief Winnipeg, MBPosts: 38Member
    Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by OnionThief

    The July release is pretty much 100% speculation at this point. Officially the game is still slotted to launch early next year, so my expectations lie closer to that than 6 months away. Still, it's a possibility.

    As for the optimism... based on the alpha leaks I've seen... personally I've become very optimistic. I enjoy XIV a lot in it's current interation and a much improved version of that has me super excited.

    Depends who your source is I guess... the thread on the official forums? Yeah, according to it there's no reason to believe the claim. But his information came from somewhere too, and personally I've seen his source predict a lot of things correct before.

    Nothing wrong with optimism, but Summer 2013 release would not be surprising at all. Every company has delays, but only some of them have the balls to delay the release due to it.

    With testing going as well as they claim, I'm hopeful for an earlier release. Could be July, you never know. Keep your fingers crossed!

  • PaladrinkPaladrink SantiagoPosts: 47Member
    I really hope they give a new Open beta, for at least 1 month, that would encourage the returning players. As myself i had such a huge disappointment on the launch of the first game that i did not even bought the first one, so if they do not give me an open beta they wont get my bucks.

    What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

  • PaladrinkPaladrink SantiagoPosts: 47Member
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

    This game has a pretty nasty history preceding it... will be interesting to see if they overcome it.  Been a FF fan since FF1 back in 87 but felt the series went off the rails with FF7.  I like my old school gameplay.

    The alpha video looked very nice.  But a beautiful world does not a good MMO make.  Like others, its going to come down to the combat, and not just the mechanics of it but the *feel* which is really hard to pinpoint.  Mostly a personal feeling.  I also heard it will have WOW-like questing (fine)... but is the questing linear for quest hub-to-quest hub or are there reasons to just roam around and do other things?

    Does it include other systems? such as:

    Fishing?

    Swimming?

    Crafting? (meaning can I craft weapons as good as the ones I buy/drop?)

    Housing?

    Boats/Airships? (Which I can control and fly around?)

    Is all of these surrounding systems that will make me want to sub because I will want to explore it. 

    Ill buy it and sub for one month to give it a go.  Looking food so far but looks have been constantly decieving recently.

     

    Even tho, i agree with someone who said "FF is like an old girlfriend, you been there, you have suffered and shared joy with her, but always come with something new and you start pondering on the memories trying to find a reason to go back to her"

     

    Yep... but this $#"! its becoming nasty :P

    What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

  • OnionThiefOnionThief Winnipeg, MBPosts: 38Member
    Originally posted by Paladrink
    I really hope they give a new Open beta, for at least 1 month, that would encourage the returning players. As myself i had such a huge disappointment on the launch of the first game that i did not even bought the first one, so if they do not give me an open beta they wont get my bucks.

    A one month open beta is quite long by any company's standards. There isn't much point to playing a beta a ton if all the progress is erased anyway. Really, if you're not interested in helping test, then your only motivation to play an open beta should be to figure out whether you like a game or not. Once you've decided that, save your time for release. :P

  • fenistilfenistil GliwicePosts: 3,005Member
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    Originally posted by fenistil
    Originally posted by AstralEcho
    Originally posted by Zadawn
    Originally posted by OnionThief

     Zones will now be instanced. (At launch)


     

     

    The only reason im not going to return to this game.

     

    I believe he means zones in the same sense as we see them in GW2 or FFXI, as opposed to the current game where each region is seamless...sort of like megazones. The world won't be instanced in th same sense as GW1 if that's what you're concerned about.

    That's still very bad information...

    I would like information what EXACTLY is meant by instancing.  I don't like non-seamless zones like in GW2 / AoC/ FFXI and most of mmorpg's also.

    So you must not be playing another launched in the past 5 years or so.

    What are you playing now?  Or are you on the sidelines?

    Sidelines for 2 years and counting.  

    Tried few newer mmorpg's betas and even bought GW2 (mistake stpped playing very fast) but I don't like direction mmorpg's headed in most things and still are.

  • Any word on combat pacing? I love FF, but one of the biggest turn-offs for me about FFXI was the slow pace of combat. I understand that the devs were maybe trying to mimic the turn-based pace of the other FF games, but to me it didn't flow very well in an MMO.

  • OnionThiefOnionThief Winnipeg, MBPosts: 38Member
    Originally posted by zenryoku

    Any word on combat pacing? I love FF, but one of the biggest turn-offs for me about FFXI was the slow pace of combat. I understand that the devs were maybe trying to mimic the turn-based pace of the other FF games, but to me it didn't flow very well in an MMO.

    Much, MUCH faster in ARR. Beta videos will give you a better sense of this. Stay tuned for more to be posted!

  • Originally posted by OnionThief
    Originally posted by zenryoku

    Any word on combat pacing? I love FF, but one of the biggest turn-offs for me about FFXI was the slow pace of combat. I understand that the devs were maybe trying to mimic the turn-based pace of the other FF games, but to me it didn't flow very well in an MMO.

    Much, MUCH faster in ARR. Beta videos will give you a better sense of this. Stay tuned for more to be posted!

    Great, thanks for the info.

  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards TokyoPosts: 778Member

    No amount of long posts, opinions, praises, videos and articles are goign to sway me this thime. I made a very big mistake of  trusting similar hear say before FFXIV release and since i am a big FFXI fan i didn't think much before buying CE. Worst mistake ever.

    This time i am going to try beta and make up my own mind.

  • RalstlinRalstlin Las PalmasPosts: 234Member

    The best way to decide if something is good or not is to try it. FFXIV will have (if i remember correctly) a free trial period on A Realm Reborn Launch.

     

     

  • OnionThiefOnionThief Winnipeg, MBPosts: 38Member
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

    No amount of long posts, opinions, praises, videos and articles are goign to sway me this thime. I made a very big mistake of  trusting similar hear say before FFXIV release and since i am a big FFXI fan i didn't think much before buying CE. Worst mistake ever.

    This time i am going to try beta and make up my own mind.

    No one is saying you should do otherwise. I just want people to be aware of the efforts that have gone into overhauling this game, and give it a second chance really. For a lot of people that just means sampling the beta build, which is perfectly fine... I'm confident the game will speak for itself.

  • JaimieJaimie Toronto, ONPosts: 2Member

    The latest "letter fromt he producer" indicates that there will be no AH.  This alone, is going to keep away a lot of new players.

    At the end of 1.x, there were probably 25k active players max.

    If SE wants a healthy player base, they need to stop catering to the fanbois.  The latest alpha video showed some characters running thru a town.   I hope they have a better plan than this.   People want to see what the combat is like, not what running thru a town is like.  And why are those NPCs still alive?  Did all the 1.x NPCs survive the meteor?

    Oh, and they better fix their crappy customer support.    

  • UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Summerville, SCPosts: 412Member Uncommon
    Has the combat system and movement of characters changed? Because that was the biggest turn off for me.  And if its the same clunkly controlled autoattack and movement system along with skills tanking so long to fire that there is no way I'm playing this game if it didnt change.


    Spiritsever - AR/Ele - The Secret World
    Ashmaker - Ranger < Prophets > - Age of Conan - #1 in Kills
    Sweety - Sorceress < Infinite Darkeness > - SWTOR - 2.6K PvP Rating
    ??? - Pilot - ??? - EVE
    Symir - Swordmaster - Warhammer - RR100
    Dreadnaught - Rogue - Rift
  • AzarionDestinovaAzarionDestinova Clay, WVPosts: 10Member

    I played all the way from beta up to the end. And a lot changed by the time the shutdown servers the game was becoming amazing.

    I also recommed anyone to play this! Cant wait for PS3 Beta! Got my code from FFXIII!

    Be nice if they would let Legacy in alpha first that would be awesome!

    image

    Ascension Protocol | Never Forget 3 Oct 11 | A Little Reading Goes A Long Way, Post Count does not matter

  • zevni78zevni78 grimsbyPosts: 1,133Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by UNH0LYEV1L
    Has the combat system and movement of characters changed? Because that was the biggest turn off for me.  And if its the same clunkly controlled autoattack and movement system along with skills tanking so long to fire that there is no way I'm playing this game if it didnt change.

     

    I agree, worst combat mechanics I've ever seen, ARR does indeed change the pace by allowing all the skills at the start of each fight, the targeting seems improved too. If you where using keyboard+mouse it should be better. 

     

    Whether it will actually be fun, and not now the usual dull WoW style remains to be seen. There should at least be some interesting combos and multi class mixes that you can still do, group combat even in 1.0 was better than solo, and the boss fights seems to be where they concentrate their efforts. I would try the beta, we won't know till we play if it really feels right.

13»
Sign In or Register to comment.