Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is Everyone who purchased the game, so upset with FTP?

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

OP, there is no doubt that there is some fun to be had with SWTOR. Especially if you havn't played it before. But what you need to be prepared for is that if you want to play the game seriously you will have to sub. You can not fully play the game without subbing. So, yeh, the ftp will give you a nice chance to see whether or not you want to and there's some fun to be had, you WILL have to sub eventually if you keep playing or you will quickly run out of things to do once the leveling is over.

Everything about the FTP is tempting and pushing you.. almost forcing you.. to sub if you want to experience the game the way it is intended. That is why people are unhappy. Many think SWTOR isn't worth a sub (you can make your own mind up about that) and were hoping the ftp would give the game more credibility and value for money.. it doesn't because all they are trying to do is get people to sub, not let people play and pay for what they think is worth it with a good ftp model.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • XeoMatrix00XeoMatrix00 Member Posts: 39
    Doesnt matter how pretty ppl put into words how this game is great. Just look at the numbers. The game is falling every day, the concept was good but the design was bad. They try F2P and that was bad design too.  If your still sub good for you but let me tell you that they are so many better games out there than this. This game doesnt deserve a sub, this game needs to be a real F2P. If this was a F2P i wouldnt mind buying the box before.  They shoudnt even call this a F2P they should just said this is an extended free trial. Good examples of F2P that I like is GW2 and LOTR.
    Originally posted by Vannor

OP, there is no doubt that there is some fun to be had with SWTOR. Especially if you havn't played it before. But what you need to be prepared for is that if you want to play the game seriously you will have to sub. You can not fully play the game without subbing. So, yeh, the ftp will give you a nice chance to see whether or not you want to and there's some fun to be had, you WILL have to sub eventually if you keep playing or you will quickly run out of things to do once the leveling is over.

Everything about the FTP is tempting and pushing you.. almost forcing you.. to sub if you want to experience the game the way it is intended. That is why people are unhappy. Many think SWTOR isn't worth a sub (you can make your own mind up about that) and were hoping the ftp would give the game more credibility and value for money.. it doesn't because all they are trying to do is get people to sub, not let people play and pay for what they think is worth it with a good ftp model.

Cant say it better myself.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Why would I be upset about F2P. I am getting my free CC every month, my sub value got lowered to below $8 if you add CC into equation.  I love the cartel packs LOL. And it is great to see lot of newbies in game. I am often just going to lower planets to help folks.

Now that they are done with F2P BioWare can focus on what they should - adding more content to game. That's what will make all SWTOR fans the happiest.

Edit. I know that folks who purchased a game and stopped to play are upset, they think they are entitled to play at subscriber level for free.  If we follow this line of thoughts - all subscribers would quit and play F2P - Am I wrong?

Chances are those who like the game and sub will still sub to get the full experience, even if the restrictions are not much, because if you really like the game then the monthly fee is worth it, and do not want any restrictions. That is why you, and those who are subbed, are blinded by the fact as can not see how restrictive it all is, and do not care, as you are subbing

SWTOR is just way more restrictive than any other F2P MMO, and does nothing to encourage people to return or play in a restrictive F2P environemt.

SWTORs F2P system is really designed to make you sub, and not enjoy the restrictive cheaper F2P version, therefore not attracting many people to the game. That should be the reason why you should be upset about F2P - they just wasted time putting in a system to get people to sub, who do not want to sub, instead of adding in more content - if people do not come to the game, then its future is not bright.

There needs to be a decent balance where F2P is attractive enough to hook players but not so restrictive to put people off. SWTORs F2P is too heavy on the restrictive side, making it not attractive enough to bother.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by lalartu

I'm not, I don't give a crap about the game anymore

This.

Getting upset over spilt milk is waste of my life. EA/BW don't owe me anything. I spent money with my own free will.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

We're upset because the F2P implementation is so bad that isn't even really possible for former players to come back and enjoy class stories we haven't finished previously without paying for all sorts of basic things like a usable number of quickbars, the ability to hide head slots, the ability to customize companions, the ability to be revived where you died, the ability to play a reasonable number of warzones and space missions each week, and on and on. You only get the complementary cartel coins for having bought the game and subscribed a long time ago if you subscribe for another month first right now. You pretty much have to pay them more money if you want to experience anything resembling the game you quit a while back.

When I logged in to try F2P I also had to rename all but one of my characters due to server mergers. It wasn't clear how the game decides which 2 characters are the ones I can play. I did manage to login the character I cared most about. Losing all your preferred character names really drives home that you are just playing a piece of software not experiencing a virtual world. Severing that important connection to your old characters greatly diminishes the desire to play them and the 2 character limit prevents you from just creating new characters.

After having played GW 2 for the last 3 months, SWTOR's graphics just look surprisingly bad to me too. I'm not sure if they made changes to the engine to improve performance by lowering texture detail and model complexity or if it's just that I haven't played in a while, but it just looks bad and dated now.

For people who never played the game, F2P probably works tolerably because they don't know what it was like to play the game with all of its features unlocked. Many of the restrictions won't really start to hinder new players until they get their characters around level 20.

But for me and many other former subscribers, it is apparent that EA doesn't really want us to play the game again unless we pay the full sub price. Since we quit many months ago after deciding the game was no longer worth that price, the obvious solution is to forget about coming back to play the F2P version.

If they decide to remove their heads from their asses and not make F2P so crippled in the future, maybe I'd give it another look and even consider paying a small amount to unlock some more reasonable restrictions. But right now I'm not going to reward a company for creating a F2P version that's a blatant money grab.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• RexNebularRexNebular Member Posts: 259

Who's Everyone? Your friend? Strange name.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The OP simplified an over complicated ordeal.

It is not as simple as saying what has changed from last week until now,it goes far beyond that.

The change was from the day they decided the game was not going to be a success.That means LESS investment,less staff,less content,many more things,NONE of which you expected when you bought the game.

That is why every game includes that BS TOS that says something to the effect.."your gaming experience may change".This is a lame way to get developers off the hook for delivering you less than what you expected,this can be less GM's,no botting control,nobody caring about cheats,poor server structure,poor conmtent updates,the list goes on and on.

There is also the fact that adding players to the bandwidth stream for free,is not a good thing.

The bottom line NEVER changes,the goal is to make money and in case of a giant,lots of it,small amounts will not do.

If a MMO goes stagnant after you purchase it,it really is no longer an MMO,it would be more like a single player game,you know content you buy that never changes.They wil lof course lay claim that the game is still being developed,well ya even 3 employees could still make a map or two and a few textures ect ect.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119
    +10

It is amazing that people who trash this game and say every day that thay won't be playing it anyway, are complaining about F2P model. Indeed why do you care? Move on!!!!

Oh, dont get us wrong, we complain because if we dont some poor sobs are going to download the game, try it, feel cheated and leave dissapointed, like most of us did. you see, we are helping people out here, saving them time, broadband, etc. What i dont get, is Why do you care? is posting here more entertaining than playing the game for you? :3

Besides, i got time to kill while i download RaiderZ (a game that is better as F2P than swotor will ever be as a sub).

So there, fuck EA, fuck Bioware, fuck Zynga.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Let this game burn
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by LhynnSaint
    +10

It is amazing that people who trash this game and say every day that thay won't be playing it anyway, are complaining about F2P model. Indeed why do you care? Move on!!!!

Oh, dont get us wrong, we complain because if we dont some poor sods are going to download the game, try it, feel cheated and leave dissapointed, like most of us did. you see, we are helping people out here, saving them time, broadband, etc. What i dont get, is Why do you care? is posting here more entertaining than playing the game for you? :3

Besides, i got time to kill while i download RaiderZ (a game that is better as F2P than swotor will ever be as a sub).

Feel cheated of what? a game that is free to downnload and try? yes i say try because it is nothing more than a free trial. 

You are helping others, lol what BS!

Stop treating 'these' people like some idiots who can not even decide for themselves what they like or dislike. 

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

The F2P option for players that were already subbed (like me) is a bonus to the game. The F2P option for players that had subbed and stopped and still don't want to sub are complaining because they want the same level of gameplay without having to sub (which they should NOT get)

The players that never subbed and complain simply want everything free.

The F2P option if a bonus, while I dont like some of the restrictions they have, nor do I think some of them make any sence (like UI options being locked) It does not change the fact that adding any type of free playing options in no way takes away from the game (it simply can't) They are not taking anything away from me, the subscribing player and are ADDING free options for other players while giving me new perks to purchase if I chose to.

All in all, the F2P option is not set up the way I would have guessed it was going to be, but as long as they dont lock anything that I had availible to me before as long as I sub, then I'm good.

And F2P option is not the same as the game becoming Free.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

No it will not... Not really. It will be a whimper at best.

Now  i have had the same thought my self, i get a good number of people just wanted to play the game for free without any hassle (a fairly naive hope when it comes to F2P as it have been proven over and over again that people have no problem paying to remove some limits. and the more in the way they are the quicker people pay to get rid of them.) and i am pretty sure a few even belived that there woudl be hardly any restrictions to the "preferd" players.

Then you have i guess the group who feel the game will be deleted from existence when the current scheme does not pull in enough people... Trust me, if it is anything EA know it is micro transactions.

But still why are people so angry... Because it is the "in" thing and they just want to feel like belonging.

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by Whitebeards
    +10

Oh, dont get us wrong, we complain because if we dont some poor sods are going to download the game, try it, feel cheated and leave dissapointed, like most of us did. you see, we are helping people out here, saving them time, broadband, etc. What i dont get, is Why do you care? is posting here more entertaining than playing the game for you? :3

Feel cheated of what? a game that is free to downnload and try? yes i say try because it is nothing more than a free trial. 

Stop treating 'these' people like some idiots who can not even decide for themselves what they like or dislike. 

Just helping them make an informed decision mate. and the game is not free to try, its free to suffer. because its not that its a free trial (after all, you get to do almost 95% of the content) its that the game punishes you for trying :3

No sprint (dont tell me the BS of getting it by lvl 15, the maps are so big that by level 10 youll want to kill yourself), increased costs at shops, decreased exp so that you have to grind for your story, limited loot, and constant reminders that if you just open your wallet, everything can go away, in your inventory, in your character screen, in your companion screen, every time you complete a quest, every time you want to use the general chat, a BIG FLASHING YELLOW DOT (wich you cant make go away), instead of an option in the menu or something. Im amazed they dont make you pay for the advanced classes.

• ChaulsinNLChaulsinNL Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Thought the game would be a no-brainer. With that budget how can you screw up Star Wars? Then they did.... Now the introduce f2p and again.... they screw it up. I don't know what idiots are holding the steering wheel of that ship.
    +10

Just helping them make an informed decision mate. and the game is not free to try, its free to suffer. because its not that its a free trial (after all, you get to do almost 95% of the content) its that the game punishes you for trying :3

No sprint (dont tell me the BS of getting it by lvl 15, the maps are so big that by level 10 youll want to kill yourself), increased costs at shops, decreased exp so that you have to grind for your story, limited loot, and constant reminders that if you just open your wallet, everything can go away, in your inventory, in your character screen, in your companion screen, every time you complete a quest, every time you want to use the general chat, a BIG FLASHING YELLOW DOT (wich you cant make go away), instead of an option in the menu or something. Im amazed they dont make you pay for the advanced classes.

Well the thing is they people you are trying to reach are not here.. nor will they ever be here so unless you spend a lot of time each day rumping around god knows how many forums + do public speeches and post on the bog that is social media you are not really helping anyone.

And if you do all that... .. . I think you should get help because it is not healthy to have such a fixation.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Biggest mmo joke of the last Decade, SWTOR is horrible.

Keep your ftp nonsense.
    Originally posted by tawess
    +10

Well the thing is they people you are trying to reach are not here.. nor will they ever be here so unless you spend a lot of time each day rumping around god knows how many forums + do public speeches and post on the bog that is social media you are not really helping anyone.

And if you do all that... .. . I think you should get help because it is not healthy to have such a fixation.

As i said, got some time to kill before RaiderZ is downloaded, and nay friend, there have been more than a few people downloading the game and checking out the forums here, and have pushed the stop button and moved on with their lives after reading up a bit and seeing that its not for them, that its not for anyone.

I am grateful however, that you care about my health.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Far more people were upset that the game was bad. (Or at best, not worth the sub fee)

I would argue that very few people care about a bad F2P/freemium conversion of a game that was not particularly good to begin with.

In other words, the whole thing gets a big "Who Cares?".

• nollonollo Member Posts: 5

I just laugh when i think of the word "Content" and then SWTOR , You cant even level anywhere but the same planet every single playthrough on all your characters. The same planets for the same levels, same quest lines with 1 Character story variant. 

Did the generation of MMO players come out of a box and into a line and then back in the box? Are we so conditioned to not explore the off beaten path? Do we need our hands held? 

I left SWTOR after 1 month because the options for exploration of a Galaxy, were laughable. 

On Vanguard for example, I have over 20 Options of Story Driven Dungoens in the lvl 15- 20 Range, 10 people can get lvl 20 in 50 different ways, different zones, different Gear, Different stories. And meet together in a lvl 30 Dungoen and go Wow you look SO different then ME! lets get more stuff together woot!

Instead in SWTOR you got 1 hub, with crap ass missions that get repeated and washed down, You got players who Dont give a flyin dog vomit about your situation. Finish my quest, Move on, Peace, Group finder me please!

Screw these kind of MMOs, killed a great IP in Star wars, And EA is the saddest group of Corporate money grabbers ( You will see 3 Call of Duties a year now, Money off Guns forever! Pew pew stupid brains) 

Stop wasting your time on a such a lack of design and content, Enjoy your single player story mission as a single player game. And hope any MMO in the future is designed with CONTENT that forces people to CHOOSE PATHS, im not talking 1 decision in a quest, Im talking Whether im conquering this tower of cyclopses at lvl 18, or this Dungoen of Gnolls at 18, or this Floating Castle at 18, Who am I going with~ etc etc, Get a game that builds community ( Everquest etc. ) 

Oh and im not upset with FTP! I am sad for anyone who plays it and then Subs to a Ghost ship. 

If you say so Saint.. if you say so.

That does not change the fact that a good potion of the people complaning here do it either by habit or because they had some unrealistic expectations on what they could expect form the F2P option. Not saying i particularly understand some of the QoL stuff they locked away but compared to games like NeedForSpeed World (another of EA's f2p games) this one is a model of fair treatment for it's f2p players.

edit: But Nollo you know what... SWTOR at least HAD a playerbase at one time unlike Vanguard who to be honest never got of the ground.. And have a even more asanine F2P scheme. And from my time playing that game i think the story.. linear as it is beats any so called story in Vanguard. But then it is hard to compare a sk sandbox to a themepark game.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    I believe I'm entitled to believe that entitled is the most overused, and mostly incorrectly,  word in the English language in recent memory.
    +10

For the ppl that still think this game is wtill worth it with this F2P model are just in denial. Come if this was suppose to be a F2P there shouldnt be so many stupid restrictions. Bioware should follow models like GW2 as least. Buy the box and put in a cash shop for example. You cannot provide enough evidence to prove us wrong. I dont mind buying the box and play F2P, hell thats what i did for GW2, I even spend some money in the cash shop. Is just plain stupid for you have to pay for a second or third quick bar, that you have to pay to do the operations. I repeat and you cannot argue this point. This is NOT a F2P this is a Free Trial Extended. You enjoy the game than sub, but you will see that 8/10 players agree with me. Im not forcing you to agree, im showing you that your opinion is the minoroty. Why I want the game to be a real F2P simply enough this game is not worth the 15$ this game would be great with a real F2P model. 

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Why would I be upset about F2P. I am getting my free CC every month, my sub value got lowered to below $8 if you add CC into equation.  I love the cartel packs LOL. And it is great to see lot of newbies in game. I am often just going to lower planets to help folks.

Now that they are done with F2P BioWare can focus on what they should - adding more content to game. That's what will make all SWTOR fans the happiest.

Edit. I know that folks who purchased a game and stopped to play are upset, they think they are entitled to play at subscriber level for free.  If we follow this line of thoughts - all subscribers would quit and play F2P - Am I wrong?

Double Plunger salute!!! image

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

Originally posted by RavingRabbid

Double Plunger salute!!! image

2+ Ppl in denial :)