Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is Everyone who purchased the game, so upset with FTP?

I don't understand the sense of entitlement.  You bought the game knowing that you could play the game as is for $15/month.  You still can.  Your original terms haven't changed, you have just been offered a limited alternative for free.  Why is that a bad thing?  You get prefered status for your previous investment(as does anyone else who spends money/subs in the future so they are not taking that away from you).

My questions is this: If you ignore the FTP option that wasnt available a week ago, what has changed from the day you decided this game was worth buying?

If the only thing that changed is that the game isn't worth a sub fee to you anymore, then think of this: I have a collection of about 25 MMO's that I have bought and don't play anymore.  Also add to that the hundreds of other games that I have bought at full price over the past 20 years and don't play anymore and I think we can say that games aren't meant to play forever (I currently play about 5 games).  I feel that out of all those games that I may have made a bad purchase on maybe 20-40 (roughly 15% I'd say) and you couldn't pay me to play those games now, let alone get me to play for free.

I haven't played SWTOR, but may give it a shot at some point now that it is FTP.  Just curious as to whether or not I am missing something when I see recent forum posts are always littered with posts about how "done wrong" people who purchased this game are with the FTP transition.

Comments

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

I'm not, I don't give a crap about the game anymore

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Originally posted by lalartu

I'm not, I don't give a crap about the game anymore

What he said!

• KamikazegoKamikazego Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by jimmydatwin

I don't understand the sense of entitlement.  You bought the game knowing that you could play the game as is for $15/month.  You still can.  Your original terms haven't changed, you have just been offered a limited alternative for free.  Why is that a bad thing?  You get prefered status for your previous investment(as does anyone else who spends money/subs in the future so they are not taking that away from you).

My questions is this: If you ignore the FTP option that wasnt available a week ago, what has changed from the day you decided this game was worth buying?

If the only thing that changed is that the game isn't worth a sub fee to you anymore, then think of this: I have a collection of about 25 MMO's that I have bought and don't play anymore.  Also add to that the hundreds of other games that I have bought at full price over the past 20 years and don't play anymore and I think we can say that games aren't meant to play forever (I currently play about 5 games).  I feel that out of all those games that I may have made a bad purchase on maybe 20-40 (roughly 15% I'd say) and you couldn't pay me to play those games now, let alone get me to play for free.

I haven't played SWTOR, but may give it a shot at some point now that it is FTP.  Just curious as to whether or not I am missing something when I see recent forum posts are always littered with posts about how "done wrong" people who purchased this game are with the FTP transition.

I know. This boggles my mind too.  Not to mention that you get extra cartel coins (in-game store currency) for every month that you subscribed before F2P...

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    You haven't played but want to know why people dislike swtor or its FTP? Lol.
    Biggest let down so far for any mmo I have played. Was nothing more than kotor 4 on the PC.
    Not the epic mmo they promised. CD box was trashed will never look back.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I am  beyond caring about ea anymore they can have their game, but they cant have my cash. 

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I care very little about this game, actually I care only how it affect / might affect other titles in future. 

So I am not upset at all.   

Conditions for susbcibers have changed though.  Before sub was getting them everything and there was no microtransactions in game.     Now sub don't get them everything because some things are in store + game will be developed with microtransactions in mind and not only with subs in mind.   That's definition of 'conditions changed'.

Yes business model affect gameplay and whole game design.   One of things that affect it most actually.

• XeoMatrix00XeoMatrix00 Member Posts: 39

1. The game is crap, what a waste of the Star Wars History

2. The game is not good enough to deserve a sub of 15$

3. This is not F2P this is a Freemium'

4. This supposed F2P is not fair for ppl that purshase the game, thank god i didnt buy the CE.

5. Did I mentioned the game is crap.

6. If they had a real F2P design, just maybe it would have a chance, right now it will go the recycle bin.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Other MMOs do F2P a lot better.

SWTORs version is pretty much so restrictive that you have to sub to make the game viable / playable, even if playing on a casual basis, which makes its F2P pointless

All F2P is doing in SWTOR is to get people to sub, instead of play the game and pay bit by bit, as SOE puts in "Free to play your way" whether that is really true or not, it certainly is not with SWTOR

Instead of EA coming up with more new content to pay for, they split the basics of the game down to pay for, like having to pay for more toolbars

SWTOR is more or less a single player game with multiplayer options, than a MMO. It is like paying a monthly free to games like Red Dead Redemption, Sleeping Dogs etc Both games have plenty of content worthy to buy.  SWTOR is not worthy, because they are lazy

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Swg f2p would have been the better choice. Swtor just feels lacking in so many ways for the time and money spent. Swg had its problems, but was a better mmorpg.
  • bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

Well, I guess you have to separate the people who are just venting because they felt really ripped off by the initial purchase of the game, and thought maybe they could recoup some of that (through play time) in "F2P".  Now they find out they are not much better than someone who never bought the game.  Bitterness, man, bitterness.

Let those people vent. 

On the other hand, TOR has put in restrictions for F2P that, really, I don't think many people have ever seen in a different game.

If the game had a super awesome reputation, maybe it would be taken better.  But, it doesn't, and the restrictions seem like it's a half-hearted "F2P" attempt (if any model deserves the "it's definitely a limited trial" it's thing game), or they really believe their game is so good that people will be clamoring to pay to lift things like UI restrictions.  Or they are just trying to milk the last of the subscribers.

• jimmydatwinjimmydatwin Member UncommonPosts: 68

Originally posted by fenistil

I care very little about this game, actually I care only how it affect / might affect other titles in future. 

Conditions for susbcibers have changed though.  Before sub was getting them everything and there was no microtransactions in game.     Now sub don't get them everything because some things are in store + game will be developed with microtransactions in mind and not only with subs in mind.   That's definition of 'conditions changed'.

Yes business model affect gameplay and whole game design.   One of things that affect it most actually.

I understand this point of view, but as long as they are only adding cosmetic/non gameplay affecting items then if I was subscribed it wouldn't bother me (many games I have played have introduced cash shops and as long as they arent selling top end gear or PvP boosts I am ok with it) I haven't looked at the cash shop myself so I don't know what is in there.  My attitude towards cash shops i that if they aren't selling in game steroids then let the company make some extra money.   As to Developer focus.....it doesn't take alot of focus to create a few new skins/mounts or w/e (game comes with thousands)

Originally posted by superniceguy

SWTORs version is pretty much so restrictive that you have to sub to make the game viable / playable, even if playing on a casual basis, which makes its F2P pointless

All F2P is doing in SWTOR is to get people to sub, instead of play the game and pay bit by bit, as SOE puts in "Free to play your way" whether that is really true or not, it certainly is not with SWTOR

Instead of EA coming up with more new content to pay for, they split the basics of the game down to pay for, like having to pay for more toolbars

SWTOR is more or less a single player game with multiplayer options, than a MMO. It is like paying a monthly free to games like Red Dead Redemption, Sleeping Dogs etc Both games have plenty of content worthy to buy.  SWTOR is not worthy, because they are lazy

I understand that this game may not be worth a sub to many and the FTP doesn't look very enticingtrial, but original players still have the option to subscribe if they want their original payment model back, so they aren't losing anything if they still want to play the game

• jimmydatwinjimmydatwin Member UncommonPosts: 68

Originally posted by bansan

Well, I guess you have to separate the people who are just venting because they felt really ripped off by the initial purchase of the game, and thought maybe they could recoup some of that (through play time) in "F2P".  Now they find out they are not much better than someone who never bought the game.  Bitterness, man, bitterness.

Let those people vent. 

On the other hand, TOR has put in restrictions for F2P that, really, I don't think many people have ever seen in a different game.

If the game had a super awesome reputation, maybe it would be taken better.  But, it doesn't, and the restrictions seem like it's a half-hearted "F2P" attempt (if any model deserves the "it's definitely a limited trial" it's thing game), or they really believe their game is so good that people will be clamoring to pay to lift things like UI restrictions.  Or they are just trying to milk the last of the subscribers.

This is more along the lines fo what I was thinking, which is somewhat confirmed by the folowing post (note points 1, 2 & 5 make the poster seem slightly upset with the game)

Originally posted by XeoMatrix00

1. The game is crap, what a waste of the Star Wars History

2. The game is not good enough to deserve a sub of 15$

3. This is not F2P this is a Freemium'

4. This supposed F2P is not fair for ppl that purshase the game, thank god i didnt buy the CE.

5. Did I mentioned the game is crap.

6. If they had a real F2P design, just maybe it would have a chance, right now it will go the recycle bin.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

humm i purchased the game on release played it for about two months got bored. I'm not in the leaast bit upset about FTP, but on the other hand having experienced the game and having seen the FTP model EA is using I have no desire to play it either.

Guess sweeping generalizations that have no basis in fact are the in thing in title threads though these days.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Why would I be upset about F2P. I am getting my free CC every month, my sub value got lowered to below $8 if you add CC into equation.  I love the cartel packs LOL. And it is great to see lot of newbies in game. I am often just going to lower planets to help folks.

Now that they are done with F2P BioWare can focus on what they should - adding more content to game. That's what will make all SWTOR fans the happiest.

Edit. I know that folks who purchased a game and stopped to play are upset, they think they are entitled to play at subscriber level for free.  If we follow this line of thoughts - all subscribers would quit and play F2P - Am I wrong?

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Is p2p servers separated from f2p servers ?  it was horror to do PvP because of the engine and now people are forced to do PvP with peeps who have this broken engine and broken UI and missing skills and whatever there is.

Its a huge change for the worse,for those who are paying customers.

Let's internet

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    the game is good and i am subscribing it next month after my wow sub runs out .had a blast playing the game f2p
  • lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Why would I be upset about F2P. I am getting my free CC every month, my sub value got lowered to below $8 if you add CC into equation.  I love the cartel packs LOL. And it is great to see lot of newbies in game. I am often just going to lower planets to help folks.

Now that they are done with F2P BioWare can focus on what they should - adding more content to game. That's what will make all SWTOR fans the happiest.

+1

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I have no clue why people didnt see it comming before the game even launced.
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I will always be disappointed for what the game did not become.. However, I can still enjoy it for what it is now that I have gotten over it. It is a single player game with multiplayer elements splashed in. It makes a good RP venue and I like to dabble in warzones.

I would have liked more large scale pvp, but that is never going to happen with this engine. 

The F2P is more like an extended trial of sorts. If you like the game, then the 15 dollars a month is a much better deal than trying to weed through the micro transactions. 

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

being a lotro lifer i would have thought like most who play lotro would be happy of the influx of players..they could end up subscribers.lotro has done pretty well out of f2p..but they have the best f2p game on the go imo.swtor could end up doing well given a chance,regardless of what certain peeps think about it.

it does'nt affect normals subscribers,quite different it gives them the benefit of shop services for nothing.500 points a month for subscribers is ok..its a bonus on top of the normal game.i certainly would'nt complain

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

So many don't care yet they post that they don't care.

Yes , yes you do care. Otherwise why waste your life on posting?

It's a fun enough game. Good story, fair combat, nice locations if theme parked, and mostly?

You don't have to buy the box and can enjoy the game for free and if you want the perks of a sub? Well?

Sub. It's a good enough game for me, though unlike some of the raving nutjobs (Not to be confused with Raving Nutters [me]) I have more than one mmo, and i juggle them.

I'd highly suggest subbing to TOR, it's worth the few months to try it out and the pvp is fairly fun.

Of course I'm sure a counter will be brought up giving you fifty reasons why poster A hates this game and doesn't care about it enough to post abou tit.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Astropuyo

So many don't care yet they post that they don't care.

Yes , yes you do care. Otherwise why waste your life on posting?

It's a fun enough game. Good story, fair combat, nice locations if theme parked, and mostly?

You don't have to buy the box and can enjoy the game for free and if you want the perks of a sub? Well?

Sub. It's a good enough game for me, though unlike some of the raving nutjobs (Not to be confused with Raving Nutters [me]) I have more than one mmo, and i juggle them.

I'd highly suggest subbing to TOR, it's worth the few months to try it out and the pvp is fairly fun.

Of course I'm sure a counter will be brought up giving you fifty reasons why poster A hates this game and doesn't care about it enough to post abou tit.

+10

It is amazing that people who trash this game and say every day that thay won't be playing it anyway, are complaining about F2P model. Indeed why do you care? Move on!!!!

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

yeah i understand this but if they are getting points each month they can save up for the content at no cost.well at least it worked for me that way in lotro,i bought rohan with points..cost nothing at all..if they put the content in the shop and peeps use the points to buy it still costs nothing.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

I understand this point of view, but as long as they are only adding cosmetic/non gameplay affecting items then if I was subscribed it wouldn't bother me (many games I have played have introduced cash shops and as long as they arent selling top end gear or PvP boosts I am ok with it) I haven't looked at the cash shop myself so I don't know what is in there.  My attitude towards cash shops i that if they aren't selling in game steroids then let the company make some extra money.   As to Developer focus.....it doesn't take alot of focus to create a few new skins/mounts or w/e (game comes with thousands)

Originally posted by superniceguy

I understand that this game may not be worth a sub to many and the FTP doesn't look very enticingtrial, but original players still have the option to subscribe if they want their original payment model back, so they aren't losing anything if they still want to play the game

The thing is though that EA have stated that people do not want to pay and that is about 40% of people who quit.

What makes them think that making F2P this way will do anything to get them to play and even pay a bit? It won't

Original players lose nothing, only EA. Those that quit will stay quit and play whatever MMO/games they have moved on to, and probably will not even give SWTOR another look again, even if they lift some of these restrictions.

It going F2P gives SWTOR another bit of attention, and I do not know what else they can do for it to get a 3rd chance. The only thing would be a proper decent expansion, adding in things like, but not exclusive to, player housing or multiplayer space, something other than voice over quests, operations, warzones, flashpoints etc that is just more of what is already in game = boring. If they could do that, then they should have done that before going F2P.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Edit. I know that folks who purchased a game and stopped to play are upset, they think they are entitled to play at subscriber level for free.  If we follow this line of thoughts - all subscribers would quit and play F2P - Am I wrong?

/disagree.

As a CE owner, subscriber since pre-launch I'm very sad with the F2P system because:

• F2P < free trial, as people now have to pay to make the game viable at low level = will drive players away
    • No new content, mostly recycled assets
    • Cartel packs scam.
    • V.O. story lowest priority (check Jeff Hickman interview)

I don't see the F2P adding more paying players to the game so they won't have the cash flow needed to restart it.

At this point one thing you can hope for is Disney will take over the IP and have a better SW MMO being built to replace this failure.