Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

300$ for 2 characters?

Comments

• potacopotaco Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Deewe
    Originally posted by potaco

Well if the free trial wasn't good enough to hook players, how making them pay more without adding content will bring more players in game?

I don't get it.

Before (AKA Subscription-based w/ Free Trial):

- $15/month subscription to unlock everything

- $xx box fee

- Very limited Free Trial (level 15 cap, limited chat, limited zones/planets, limited crew skills, no Legacy XP, one Flashpoint)

After (AKA Free-to-Play):

- No box fee

- Optional $15/month subscription which unlocks everything (same as "Before") and includes additional CC reward

- Free option with no level cap, no zone cap, GTN access, chat, Legacy stuff, etc... most with the option to individually pay more to unlock certain perks

Let's get back to the original quote: F2P is supposed to hook more players.

In the free trial players had access to 100% content (UI included) up to level 15. Ie: give players a good feeling of the game for free.

Now in F2P while players can level up to 50 for free they have to pay to be able to totally enjoy the game.

So you find yourself very much hindered and don't really experience the full potential of the game.

I still don't follow your logic. You're acting like the Level 15-capped, almost no chat, no Legacy, limited-to-starter-planet-and-capital zones, and a single Flashpoint "Free Trial" had more free content than the "new" F2P option that lets you access almost the complete game for free (as long as you don't really care about hard modes or repeating the exact same activities over and over)... which is just ridiculous.

Before: You got an extremely limited free trial where you had to pay a box fee and a sub to progress at all... and once you bought it, you had to keep paying or you lost 100% of your access.

After: You get what is essentially an extended free trial where you can access virtually all content for free. Or you can choose to subscribe to unlock everything for that month and when you cancel your subscription, you're still able to log in. Or, you can buy things individually and keep them indefinitely.

I fail to see how the new option is worse than the old. It's infinitely more flexible. It's not like having all your action bars available was benefitting you sooo much on a level 15-capped character.

For those people that are so worried about running slowly and missing action bars... spend $5 to unlock the action bars and you'll automatically boost your account to "Preferred" status which gives you Sprint at level 1. And you can keep playing with those as long as you want without paying a cent ever again.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by ktanner3

If people want eveyrthing that came with the game back when they played it then they can pony up the monthly sub like they once did. The only thing that has changed is an option to play a character from 1-50 with some restrictions for free. If that's not enough for them then they need to move along already. 

But the whole point of the FTP option is purportedly address the fact that many people stopped playing because of the monthly subscription fee. If the FTP restrictions are so harsh as to discourage FTP players and to as you put it, "move along already", well that would defeat the entire purpose of the FTP option.

Therfore, either Bioware is dumb, or, which is more likely, the entire point of the FTP option is something else. Perhaps to disguise supscription numbers and make more money per subscriber via the cash shop.

It's my lousy opinion that a game that has been so anemic on content release which both charges its remaining subscribers for a monthly fee and counts on those very same subscribers to supplement EA's revenue with microtransactions is very greedy.

You could say well just don't play, why even bring it up. Well I won't play, and this is a forum to discuss things just like this.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    I feel for the folks still punishing themselves by playing this game. When I think about the bullshit they've pulled since this titles release. The thought of F2P with this title is truley horrifying..

To say the least...

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i don't understand why someone would only play a game unless its free just to have a gimped version of the game.

i haven't played this game in like 4 months and i re-subbed yesterday.

the only way i would ever try a F2P gimped version of any mmo was to just try it out to see if i like it.

seriously, if you didn't like the game before with all its features, you expect to like it more when its a restricted F2P version?

makes sense. lol

Originally posted by tiefighter25
    But the whole point of the FTP option is purportedly address the fact that many people stopped playing because of the monthly subscription fee.

you think people quit just because it has a sub fee? lol

maybe they quit because they got to end game and realized it was boring and the pvp lacked? just a thought.

funny that a whole heck of a lot of people had no problem buying the game knowing it would have a sub fee yet they quit because it had a sub fee?

that's odd isn't it?

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by baphamet

But the whole point of the FTP option is purportedly address the fact that many people stopped playing because of the monthly subscription fee.

you think people quit just because it has a sub fee? lol

maybe they quit because they got to end game and realized it was boring and the pvp lacked? just a thought.

funny that a whole heck of a lot of people had no problem buying the game knowing it would have a sub fee yet they quit because it had a sub fee?

that's odd isn't it?

I quit because of the time I have spare to play. I'm in and out of hospital lately for cancer treatment and I'm also doing Uni studies. Halfway through my bachelor of technology before I go onto game design.

• KamikazegoKamikazego Member UncommonPosts: 224
    So... quit complaining and just stick with the sub that you already have? Or did you just make that up?
  • lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by DAHBOO

I purchased the game and paid every month since and now if i go down to prefered i can only keep 2 of my characters active.

WTF?

so keep your sub on .who told you to go preferred . 

Originally posted by sancher36
    Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by tiefighter25 But the whole point of the FTP option is purportedly address the fact that many people stopped playing because of the monthly subscription fee.
      you think people quit just because it has a sub fee? lol maybe they quit because they got to end game and realized it was boring and the pvp lacked? just a thought. funny that a whole heck of a lot of people had no problem buying the game knowing it would have a sub fee yet they quit because it had a sub fee? that's odd isn't it?
    I quit because of the time I have spare to play. I'm in and out of hospital lately for cancer treatment and I'm also doing Uni studies. Halfway through my bachelor of technology before I go onto game design.

sorry to hear that, i know people quit playing games for a variety of reasons, RL being the main reason for many.

my point was, most people are not quitting because of the sub model and if they are then why buy the game to begin with knowing it has a sub model?

• RuinalRuinal Member Posts: 195
    Originally posted by silverreign

Originally posted by koljane
    People who care about players left Bioware, rest of them are only drons that do as the master said.

lol. WRONG! the only people who left bioware were those that got other jobs or could afford to "walk away". the rest just got canned. the ones that left on their own free will did so cus they knew what was comin. they didnt go because they "cared about the people". news flash: no company cares about the people.

Actually I'd disagree on that. Stardock screwed up with Elemental, now they are *giving away* copies of their new game Fallen Enchantress by way of an apology. There are actually companies out there who aren't simply out to screw people, just a pity they are few and far between.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370
    Well, I bought the box, had fun for 30 days, I even subscribed for 3 months back in the day. I got 900  CC which is pretty reasonable so im not unhappy and already subscribed again
  • DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Just resub for 1 month and claim all the coins he would get for all the months he payed use this coins to unlock as much as possible.

I only subed for a couple month when the game came out and even i got 2k points for free for the time i paid so he should get way more than that (i did get 1k points for the CE tho).

I do not understand the problem here to be honest if he would have a life time sub i could understand it and agree that he should be treated differently but that is not the case.

Why should you get treated differently if all you did was paying for a service you used its not like you gave them money for nothing in return you paid for the game which you played so you got what you paid for and you even get bonus points for the time you paid and that is something you get for free just like that a good will gift and it still seems to be not enough.

I wonder why people believe that have a right nto get stuff for free show me one buissness that lets you have stuff for free just one....how do you people even manage to get around in rl?

• DaegeDaege Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by baphamet

i don't understand why someone would only play a game unless its free just to have a gimped version of the game.

i haven't played this game in like 4 months and i re-subbed yesterday.

the only way i would ever try a F2P gimped version of any mmo was to just try it out to see if i like it.

seriously, if you didn't like the game before with all its features, you expect to like it more when its a restricted F2P version?

makes sense. lol

Pretty much my thinking on it.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Just pay for the sub if you want the better benefits.

Its either you pay the sub and get everything or you play for free. I really dont understand the issue.

I bought the Deluxe Edition and havent played after playing it for two months but now i can return completely free and play casually if i want. If i enjoy the game enough i can pay the sub and not be limited. Its really pretty simple.

I understand youre upset but i just dont think its a legitimate complaint.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

At the moment I have access to 28 characters across a number of servers as a former subscriber.  What is the OP talking about with this 2 character thing? I can't create new characters though.

I doubt I will resub though I have plenty of other games at the moment, inc GW2, WoW, and TSW to keep me busy.  Although it might be worth it for just one month to pick up 1350 cartel coins.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

But the whole point of the FTP option is purportedly address the fact that many people stopped playing because of the monthly subscription fee. If the FTP restrictions are so harsh as to discourage FTP players and to as you put it, "move along already", well that would defeat the entire purpose of the FTP option.

Therfore, either Bioware is dumb, or, which is more likely, the entire point of the FTP option is something else. Perhaps to disguise supscription numbers and make more money per subscriber via the cash shop.

This. I'm saying this since the f2p details are out... It's not about bringing in new players, it's the cash shop.

Btw, thursday peak time after the launch Eu and US servers were heavy/full, with 5-15 min queue. Yesterday every one of them were standard on Eu, with a few heavy on US side, and a few light on Asia. Even at AoC and it's lame f2p conversion took a few weeks until freebies realized this model is not for them. This must be a new record :)

But the goal is reached, cash shop is up and running, they can start counting the extra income from the cosmetics.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370
    Originally posted by Po_gg

This. I'm saying this since the f2p details are out... It's not about bringing in new players, it's the cash shop.

Btw, thursday peak time after the launch Eu and US servers were heavy/full, with 5-15 min queue. Yesterday every one of them were standard on Eu, with a few heavy on US side, and a few light on Asia. Even at AoC and it's lame f2p conversion took a few weeks until freebies realized this model is not for them. This must be a new record :)

But the goal is reached, cash shop is up and running, they can start counting the extra income from the cosmetics.

That doesnt even make sense, those who subscribed will continue to do so, and get 500 CC free per month, which is enought for most of the cosmetics there...

Thats total gibberish, and the fact is that the numbers rose to the double since the F2P option, check softwares like XFire, which are obviously just a way to measure a number of players using that software, but nonetheless the game went from around 1k per day to 2k per day Xfire users playing SWTor, so the F2P did bring many players, back, or new

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Gaming is nothing if not democratic. Reward mediocrity and we're doomed to see more of it. Vote with your feet.
  • mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Yah, starting areas have some more players but nothing to write home about, and  1 day later no queues any more :)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by LhynnSaint
    Actually i prefer how it was before, the free trial was good enough to hook new players, this new f2p shit will just drive them away. it really isnt that complicated :p

Except it wasn't. If it was, they'd still be doing it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Actually i prefer how it was before, the free trial was good enough to hook new players, this new f2p shit will just drive them away. it really isnt that complicated :p

Except it wasn't. If it was, they'd still be doing it.

Uh Oh! That means SWTOR will not last that long then. Soon they will not be doing it either!

Free trial > F2P for hooking new players. If the free trial wasn't hooking new players, then the F2P version will atract even less

The F2P is so restrcitive, and if you are a new player then it is best to sub. The free trial was not so restrictive, and then you get to level 15 and have to sub any way. Either way you still have to sub, but the free trial was less restrictive and more free.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Well if the free trial wasn't good enough to hook players, how making them pay more without adding content will bring more players in game?

I don't get it.

Before (AKA Subscription-based w/ Free Trial):

- $15/month subscription to unlock everything

- $xx box fee

- Very limited Free Trial (level 15 cap, limited chat, limited zones/planets, limited crew skills, no Legacy XP, one Flashpoint)

After (AKA Free-to-Play):

- No box fee

- Optional $15/month subscription which unlocks everything (same as "Before") and includes additional CC reward

- Free option with no level cap, no zone cap, GTN access, chat, Legacy stuff, etc... most with the option to individually pay more to unlock certain perks

Let's get back to the original quote: F2P is supposed to hook more players.

In the free trial players had access to 100% content (UI included) up to level 15. Ie: give players a good feeling of the game for free.

Now in F2P while players can level up to 50 for free they have to pay to be able to totally enjoy the game.

So you find yourself very much hindered and don't really experience the full potential of the game.

I still don't follow your logic. You're acting like the Level 15-capped, almost no chat, no Legacy, limited-to-starter-planet-and-capital zones, and a single Flashpoint "Free Trial" had more free content than the "new" F2P option that lets you access almost the complete game for free (as long as you don't really care about hard modes or repeating the exact same activities over and over)... which is just ridiculous.

Before: You got an extremely limited free trial where you had to pay a box fee and a sub to progress at all... and once you bought it, you had to keep paying or you lost 100% of your access.

After: You get what is essentially an extended free trial where you can access virtually all content for free. Or you can choose to subscribe to unlock everything for that month and when you cancel your subscription, you're still able to log in. Or, you can buy things individually and keep them indefinitely.

I fail to see how the new option is worse than the old. It's infinitely more flexible. It's not like having all your action bars available was benefitting you sooo much on a level 15-capped character.

For those people that are so worried about running slowly and missing action bars... spend $5 to unlock the action bars and you'll automatically boost your account to "Preferred" status which gives you Sprint at level 1. And you can keep playing with those as long as you want without paying a cent ever again.

We have two different point of view. 

Mine is based on bringing in more players and more cash in game.

In the former system players had access to everything for free till level 15. It's just enought to give them a good feeling of the game and make them sub if they like it.

Yours look like being focused on the fact that players have access to more content in the way they can level up to 50.

However you're missing the following" from level 1 players have to actually start paying to experience the full game: ie full UI, head slot toggles and gear unify system, display titles, equip all gear (event and rare), try all the classes/species, sprint, no limitations on WZ, flashpoints, quick travel, revive, name it....

In the new system players are hindered (on purpose) by the restrictions. It's not a good way to hook players.

In fact it's like allowing them to come into a fine restaurant give them the main course but they can't sit, have a plate and a plastic fork and they have to pay for everything like knives down to napkins.

Before that you had them sat at a nice table with almost all the bell and whistles providing them the all the starters for free.

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

Talk about whining.

You'd not even be playing, big deal you paid for entertainment, go tell the movie theater that you paid 60 bucks that one night and fully deserve a free movie, because you know...you saw a few movies during the last seven months.

Do you see your logic?

They reward players indeed. It's just not to your standard. You are the problem . Not the model.

You get to play for free, cool!

Except you can't cope

Dude it's sixty bucks, you chose to pay for it for several months.

That gives you what? Plenty of bang for your buck, otherwise why did you keep subbing?

Unless I am mistaken and often I am. EA wasn't holding a gun to your head saying "you must sub give us money" (though they can be prone to hiring goons). You had a choice.

Now you expect that choice to be rewarded EXACTLY as you feel you should be, because you are self entitled.

You lost very little money, quit acting as though your whopping sixty is any more of value than the guy who got it for 20 dollars.

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Opapanax
    I feel for the folks still punishing themselves by playing this game. When I think about the bullshit they've pulled since this titles release. The thought of F2P with this title is truley horrifying.. To say the least...

Yup, tryed it for 15 mins, saw how awful it was, unistalled it and moved on. came to the forum to complain so that people dont make the same mistake than i did by wasting time downloading it to try it :3

Its WoW in space anyway, if you want to shell out the 15 bucks a month there are better tittles, like, you know, WoW, if you dont want to, there are better tittles as well.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443
    Originally posted by Opapanax
    I feel for the folks still punishing themselves by playing this game. When I think about the bullshit they've pulled since this titles release. The thought of F2P with this title is truley horrifying.. To say the least...

Yup, tryed it for 15 mins, saw how awful it was, unistalled it and moved on. came to the forum to complain so that people dont make the same mistake than i did by wasting time downloading it to try it :3

Its WoW in space anyway, if you want to shell out the 15 bucks a month there are better tittles, like, you know, WoW, if you dont want to, there are better tittles as well.

hate wow and Gw2 but love SWToR worth my 15 bucks, and really cant see how it is like wow, wow I just click on a quest dont care what the plot is just grind as fast as I can to 80 then raid, much prefer the atmosphere and plot to ToR, GW2 was just a let down!