Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Elder Scrolls Online: Making it Feel Like TES

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Good list, I would name "WORLD SIZE" as my number one, however. No really, I think any Elder Scrolls game was huge, and making at least most parts of Tamriel at launch and the whole piece later means, TESO has to be frigging huge. It simply has to be, to conjure up the Elder Scrolls feeling for me. Something like 5-10 times WOW at launch. :)

i agree with you 'world size' is my number one factor.  i think part of the feeling will come from how many people they allow into each megaserver pocket.  hopefully they come up with a good balance and dont make the areas too overcrowded.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Thieving could work like the sabotage missions in tsw.

Could you go into more detail? How does that work?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CheboyganCheboygan Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by ste2000

Some good point there, particularly the Crafting that Zenimax seems to have completely overlooked.

Posts like this make my blood boil.

How can you justify saying this?

No one knows exactly how the crafting is being implemented, only that during their play time all the previewers said that crafting mats drop and can be found everywhere on and in everything.

Which points to the exact opposite of your pointless, baseless troll comment.

I'm no ESO or Zenimax defender, but come on.... unless you have some body of evidence to support your statement I (nor anyone else) has yet seen?

so matts are dropping everywhere - what is important is what you do with them - of which we have heard next to nothing about - hopefully this isn't partially implemented with more to come post launch like too many other things

definitely not a launch day purchase for me

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Thieving could work like the sabotage missions in tsw.

Not entirely sure how they work in TSW-

But I could imagine theiving in ESO working like:

You do a series of quests to prove your skills (i.e. you have high enoug Sneak/Pick Pocket/Lock Picking skills) and get to join the Thieves guild.

Then you get assigned a specific NPC in a specific location, or a specifc object in a specific location you have to go steal.

All other players would just see the NPC as just another NPC, the location/object as just another location/object.

Could be very highly randomized to hopefully prevent two people from having the same target at the same time.

Though, it'd be cool if that could happen and another player could beat you to it... I suppose the potential for griefing would be too high.

Increase difficulty of missions as you advance, etc.

As randomized as computer code can be, never ending supply of missions, rewards scale with difficulty.

Difficulty defined by things like, in a small town with very few guards at night or has to be during the day in the guards barracks.

You could also create PvP-ish missions where you ahve to sneak into the province of another faction and steal something and get out without getting PK'd or caught/killed by guards (NPC's). Like the Thief is flagged for open PvP as soon as they enter province but they can't attack other players who aren't flagged themselves, etc. but any player who sees them can choose to attack.

I suppose that's all too sandboxy for the modern MMORPG though.

Originally posted by Cheboygan

Some good point there, particularly the Crafting that Zenimax seems to have completely overlooked.

No one knows exactly how the crafting is being implemented, only that during their play time all the previewers said that crafting mats drop and can be found everywhere on and in everything.

I'm no ESO or Zenimax defender, but come on.... unless you have some body of evidence to support your statement I (nor anyone else) has yet seen?

so matts are dropping everywhere - what is important is what you do with them - of which we have heard next to nothing about - hopefully this isn't partially implemented with more to come post launch like too many other things

so just because they aren't ready to discuss crafting means they dont have crafting?  jesus you guys, the games in alpha.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    I dont see how they could make an Elderscroll game where you cant go to other factions areas. Going to explore in hostile and unknown territory is what the games are all about in terms of exploration. I am a little sad if my orc cant go to summerset isles or morrowwind
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    I dont see how they could make an Elderscroll game where you cant go to other factions areas. Going to explore in hostile and unknown territory is what the games are all about in terms of exploration. I am a little sad if my orc cant go to summerset isles or morrowwind

just make an alt when you get sick of your orc.  you wont even have to do the same quests.  it'll be like 2 (or 3) games in one.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by muffins89

just make an alt when you get sick of your orc.  you wont even have to do the same quests.  it'll be like 2 (or 3) games in one.

Yeah but he has a point. It becomes the ultimate invisible wall.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

The way I would handle crafting is have crafters be able to create the best base items in the game, end of story

The way I would add progression to that is with enchanting, the more powerfull the soul, the better the stats you can add to a base item, so each boss would drop a filled soul gem and depending on how high in progression the boss is will affect what you can do with the gem.

Edit: Just to add I would also make it so once you enchant an item you cant re-enchant it, that way when you get a better gem to upgrade your item you will need to get another base item made by a crafter

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    This actually at the core feels like an impossible task. I just don't see how I could ever become as immersed as I am right now in Skyrim.

**** let's not hype this up to much to become something it can not become ****

This is not going to have the TES feel, rather it will be an mmorpg with TES qualities, let's set this up for success not failure.

Its not up to us to set this up for failure, it's up to them.

So far it seems like they're cruising for failure, with phasing and instancing conflicting with public dungeons, and a megaserver breaking the very core aspects of RvR.

So with the PvE and PvP potentially broken, where does that leave us? I get the feeling this is a game at war with itself, with Matt trying to get rid of instancing and the publishers forcing it in.

• CheboyganCheboygan Member UncommonPosts: 36

so just because they aren't ready to discuss crafting means they dont have crafting?  jesus you guys, the games in alpha.

don't think anyone was stating there is no crafting

and because of what has already been confirmed as post launch, well.................

again, not a launch day purchase

don't think anyone was stating there is no crafting

and because of what has already been confirmed as post launch, well.................

again, not a launch day purchase

other than housing what has been confirmed post launch?

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

Extensive options for customising your avatar that are on a par with Oblivion, or at least Skyrim. This is more important in a multiplayer game than a single player game, so no shirking on this point. Characters should look unique and they should look suitably gritty: dirt, scars, lank hair, blind-eyes, tattoos etc.

On the subject of appearance, I  absolutely do not want to see 'display costumes' - what you wear should be what you see. If you want to change the look of your armour, visit a smith or wear different armour. 

A huge open world and the freedom to go wherever I please. If this is a TESO game, this is a given. 

A system for death/resurrection that ties into the lore, particularly with regards to necromancy. No shunting the lore off to one side for the purposes of convenience. I don't want to see necromancy go the way of mysticism in Skyrim. 

Shops that close at 8pm. 

Jail.

M'aiq. 

Mercenaries for hire (NPC and PC). 

Colovian fur helms.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    That's a good point Sovrath... so I suppose as long as it's in in SOME form, even just the Thieves Guild, I could be happy. 

Just make it super difficult to run a successful thief and you won't have that issue because the FotM style people won't even bother, while the truely devoted will shine. Something like the Embers team is doing with there Mages. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    Something I don't believe people have mentioned is that when you kill an NPC or a monster in an Elder Scrolls game, they actually drop what they are wearing. To me, such an element is a huge immersion boon. Imagine if you could kill a guard, loot his armor, and infiltrate a highly fortified castle completely unnoticed.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

For me its about FREEDOM & SENSE OF WORLD

The Elder Scrolls for me are games that give you that sense of just going off and seeing what happens in a believable world with the freedom to design your toon how you want. I know the first part is very difficult but the second thing is one of the fundamental problems in modern MMO's, a lack of depth in character customisation and thats what the The Elder Scrolls excel on.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by stealthbr
    Something I don't believe people have mentioned is that when you kill an NPC or a monster in an Elder Scrolls game, they actually drop what they are wearing. To me, such an element is a huge immersion boon. Imagine if you could kill a guard, loot his armor, and infiltrate a highly fortified castle completely unnoticed.

Unfortunetly this is one of those things that don't carry over to an MMO, AT ALL.  Sure they're nice in a single player setting and really immersive which is one of the many reasons they are going the heavy use of phasing and isntancing route.  SO it wouldn't surprise me in the least if things like that are done while in an instance.

The thing is the Dev team is in a catch 22, make to much instancing and phasing and it devalues the whole open world feeling.  Which is why I advocate an enormous open world for exploration and meaningful combat/questing to offset any of the use of instancing and phasing to parlay alot of the single player game experience into the MMO.

In order for open world exploration to have meaning, then it must carry on at endgame.  Cause if your open world stops at level cap and all there is to do is PvP and Raid then your looking at another failed MMO.  This is where sandbox features should and must come into play.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

What if you made that Orc in the Skyrim single player RPG?  I don't see anyone complaining they cant visit those locales there.  Just because the whole of the continent is open doesnt necessarily mean your one character gets to play in it.

Until the day Bethesday releases a single player RPG that encompasses all of Tamriel, this argument remains moot!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• yevoc42yevoc42 Member Posts: 34

TES stands out from other games with its twitchy first person combat system coupled with massive exploration. 

Seeing a bear sprint at you gets your blood pumping because you know your reflexes in the next 200 milliseconds will save or doom you.  (Same goes for stealth)

Based on what we've seen of TES Online, this kind of immersion/gameplay simply will not exist, and I will refuse to call it a TES game.

Why they went for massively multiplayer instead of smaller multiplayer on a twitch-based game series is beyond me.

Originally posted by yevoc42

TES stands out from other games with its twitchy first person combat system coupled with massive exploration. 

Seeing a bear sprint at you gets your blood pumping because you know your reflexes in the next 200 milliseconds will save or doom you.  (Same goes for stealth)

Based on what we've seen of TES Online, this kind of immersion/gameplay simply will not exist, and I will refuse to call it a TES game.

Why they went for massively multiplayer instead of smaller multiplayer on a twitch-based game series is beyond me.

Not to be a downer but have you even watched the 9 Min video that shows the exact same style of combat from the single player series?  Granted it only shows like 10 secs of the combat but its very much like the RPG's.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

" A lot of people might just think that turning Tamriel into an MMO is no small task."

I don't think this is what you intended to mean.  perhaps "a small task", or" people might NOT think".

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    I find it interesting that TES fans complain and QQ about how the combat in Skyrim and Oblivion was crappy, but cry when they try to change the combat in the MMO...

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

I doubt they will bring the tes experience into an mmo.First of all all the graphics will be degraded for sure and secondly they cant much the atmosphere of the tes games simply because an mmo is huge and there will be many places unfinished or taken with little care.

I simply cant be hyped of any other mmo after all these games this year and the previous one.

• One of the major things they need to to is ensure the world is almost entirely seamless. In Skyrim there's some loading going on when entereing certain towns and cave entrances. This is the stuff the game needs to transcend when making the step to an MMO - otherwise I fear the game will just end up feeling like a glorified Elder Scrolls with multiplayer.

After Guild Wars 2, MMOs need to provide that feeling of a real world, rather than a bunch of instanced areas, to earn getting our money on a monthly basis. The seamless world is one of the things that make older MMOs like World of WarCraft and Dark Age of Camelot magical and different from just any old game.

In the end, a game like this has tremendous potential, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it was wasted on yet another theme park MMO that takes the worst parts from World of WarCraft and The Elder Scrolls, but none of the good parts. And then fail accordingly.

The best part is that the world is just one entire continent, so there literally is no excuse to not make the entire overland at the very least, seamless.

• fenix851plfenix851pl Member Posts: 2

When beta start???

this game must bit nexon vindictus !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!